Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 The Metropolitan Division Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2013 :  06:03:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
For the poll, answer a simple question: which team takes the Metropolitan division, and saves Mighty Metropolis from the evil Lex Luthor?

And no, that won't be the last Neopolitan joke here! Uh, I mean, Metropolitan.

Give us your thoughts on who benefits from the new division, who makes the playoffs, who gets squeezed out.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug

Choices:

Pittsburgh
NY Rangers
Philly
Washington
NY Isles
NJ Devils
Carolina
Columbus

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2013 :  06:32:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I voted Pittsburgh, but I think it will be close. I can't see Crosby not missing time in a full season, and maybe even Malkin . . . and goaltending is still a bit of a weakness. Here are my projected standings below:

1) Penguins
Still a very deep team with enormous scoring power, and good enough defence and goaltending to keep them on top - but barely.

2) Rangers
I think they have a huge bounceback year, led by Lundqvist. I also think that they will be in tight with a bunch of other teams just below the Pens . . .

3) Caps
Ovie's back in form and will be performing at top-notch pace pre-Olympics . . . and after Canada wins gold, will be out to tear up the league afterward as revenge, ha ha. Still a very good team, and Green looks to return healthy.

4) Carolina
I think they beat out a bunch of teams and squeeze into 4th, and the last playoff spot in the east. Look for a huge bounceback season for all those formerly new team members and Ward, who will play himself onto team Canada.

5) Flyers
I think they might just miss out on the playoffs again. Two words: no goalie.

6) Isles
This team benefits the least from the new division - a very good Caps team, and very competetive Carolina, Philly and even Columbus teams will squeeze them out. A step back this year.

7) Bluejackets
They are in tough here, and will be shell-shocked by the end of it. There are a LOT of very offensive teams here, and this defence is just too young/not quite there yet.

8) NJ Devils
Kovalchuk is gone, and Brodeur ailing . . . I just can't see them going anywhere this year. That being said, this might be one of those "respectable" last place finishes.

Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2013 :  15:32:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pitts too much depth and Fluery will want to prove he belongs on team Canada. I expect him to earn his #1 or Vokoun to steal it outright. With the depth of offense and goaltender story, its unlikely to see this team not in first.

Wash could finish in top spot but I think Pittsburg is stronger throughout. should be a fun race to top the metropolitan division

Islanders will be pushing for a higher finish than last year, but not going after a younger goalie will keep them from top position

Flyers not making the postseason last year was disappointing. They have improved a lot in goal and Lecavelier for Briere and should make it happen this year. The only reason I don't see them at the top is defenseman depth.

Rangers will fight for playoff position, but the others above matured or improved enough to push them below the top 4.

Carolina! Who would think a move from SE would be a detriment to a playoff position. This will be a tougher conference for Carolina, but they will fight still in the playoff hunt.

Devils steep drop but Schneider/Brodeur will keep them from bottom. This team is still deep defensively, just not offensively. They will steal some games but lose more tight games than in the past.

Bluejackets these guys will be facing an uphill battle all season in a way tougher division. The only good thing about this move is if they defy the odds, they will be a legit team. I just don't see it happening.

"I now realise that the Toronto Maple Leafs, Canada's finest hockey team, is better than the Ottawa Senators - and always will be. PS - LOVE that Dion Phaneuf! "

Edited by - JOSHUACANADA on 08/29/2013 15:32:32
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2013 :  06:49:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1. NY Rangers - Lundqvist is the best goalie in the league. Brad Richards will find his form while not being coached by Torts, that will positively reflect on Rick Nash. Marc Staal back for a full season.

2. Pittsburgh - Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Neal, Kunitz...

3. Washington - Ovechkin is back and they will have a full season under Oates, a coach they seem to thrive under. Ribeiro for Grabovski is a downgrade and will affect the depth.

4. Philadelphia - The addition of Lecavalier was a great move. Couturier and Brayden Schenn are maturing and they still have Giroux. And they got Streit

5. Carolina - They are right there and could very well finish way higher. Seems like one of the hardest team to predict.

6. NY Islanders - Everything went well last year resulting in a playoff spot. They lost Streit and Tavares can't do everything by himself.

7. Columbus - Bobrovsky wont have the same success in a 82 game season, Gaborik is injury prone.

8. New Jersey - Kovalchuk gone, Brodeur on the Dusk of retirement. Beginning of a new era.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2013 :  09:06:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love how almost everyone thinks the Islanders begin and end on the stick of Tavares. The loss of Streit was a blow, but this team is Edmonton East with the depth behind Tavares, maybe better matured and $15 million left to spend in cap space if needs be. Where do I go to bet the over under on division positioning, as most see them below 5 and I see them in the top 3 in the Metropolitan. I just double checked there roster and dang there is a lot more than Tavares coming up behind him. Nabokov is a legit #1 goalie, but at his age is probably the only true weakness and management has no problem securing another goalie, as they have proved in the past if needed. If the last decade was an example of how not to run a NHL franchise, currently this is one of the best examples of how to run it now.

"I now realise that the Toronto Maple Leafs, Canada's finest hockey team, is better than the Ottawa Senators - and always will be. PS - LOVE that Dion Phaneuf! "
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2013 :  10:07:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know. They do have some good players, but so does every team in the NHL. They do have speed and some young players. Nabokov will have a lot of the load, and he's aging. Moulson always helps. Then they have guys like Bouchard (injury prone) Grabner, Okposo, Bailey, Nielsen, Strome. Those are good players but unproven and a lot will rely on them to give Tavares and Moulson secondary scoring. I don't know if they can do it on a regular basis. After that the fourth line is almost unknown. On defense Hamonic is good and Visnovsky is a threat offensively. After that more unproven players except for Andrew MacDonald.

They are on the right path, I just don't think they are ready yet.

I have a bet for you, you predict them in top 3 and I predict the Rangers to be at the top. What about Islanders vs Rangers, straight up? Or I say Islanders bottom 3, you say top 3. If they are 4th or 5th it's a tie?

Edited by - Leafs81 on 08/30/2013 10:10:44
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2013 :  14:58:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will bet the over under on both New York teams. I will bet you New York Islanders finish no more than 2 spots below the Rangers in the standings. If the Rangers finish in 1st the Islanders cant finish more than 3rd. If the Rangers finish in 4th the Islanders cant finish lower than 6th, etc, etc, etc. Terms for Avatar for the 2014 playoffs. Will you take the 2 place in the standing spread for the Metropolitan division.

Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2013 :  07:16:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah I could take that bet.

Shake hands with a Sens fan (sigh)

Good luck and have fun wearing the Leafs avatar even when the battle of Ontario takes place
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2013 :  11:15:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA

I will bet the over under on both New York teams. I will bet you New York Islanders finish no more than 2 spots below the Rangers in the standings. If the Rangers finish in 1st the Islanders cant finish more than 3rd. If the Rangers finish in 4th the Islanders cant finish lower than 6th, etc, etc, etc. Terms for Avatar for the 2014 playoffs. Will you take the 2 place in the standing spread for the Metropolitan division.

That's a crazy bet, dude.
Seriously.

I think with this new alignment, it has become seriously more difficult in general to predict where teams are going to land . . . and the Metropolitan Division is top of the list, I'd say. Hardest division to figure who the 4 playoff teams are, I reckon.

Pittsburgh is about the only given to make that top 4 . . . but even then, I could see Crosby and or Malkin going out, and along with their porous goaltending/defence, making a huge slide.

The Rangers, disappointing as they were last year, look to recover and be right up there. Same can be said of Philly though. And Carolina. And Washington.

Now you add in an Islanders team that is young, up and coming, but might be back in "transition mode" with their captain Streit leaving and Nabakov not getting any younger - but they are still a decent team. Add in a New Jersey team that should fall out of the playoffs without Kovalchuk, but with Brodeur/Schneider there . . . who knows, they could work the usual NJ magic and get in. And then you have Columbus - a team like the Islanders, except that they only got better in the offseason, and might be a team about to make that next step - especially since they are such an unknown for most of the teams in their division.

As much as I like my predictions, it could go many different ways here for many different teams . . . and the only thing I can solidly predict is that the standings will be very close, I think.

Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2013 :  12:51:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was thinking of the finish last year for the post season and got spotted 2 positions between 2 teams that finished 1 point apart with very similar rosters to last year. Streit being what he is was a loss I'll give you, but Islanders added in the offseason more than they lost. I see a rise of the Islanders, while I predict the Rangers will end up similar to last year, with the depth in there division. Just a gut feeling, but I'll take my chances for a shot at having a Leafs fan sport Ottawa hardware.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2013 :  09:44:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I was thinking of the finish last year for the post season and got spotted 2 positions between 2 teams that finished 1 point apart with very similar rosters to last year. Streit being what he is was a loss I'll give you, but Islanders added in the offseason more than they lost. I see a rise of the Islanders, while I predict the Rangers will end up similar to last year, with the depth in there division. Just a gut feeling, but I'll take my chances for a shot at having a Leafs fan sport Ottawa hardware.

Give me the top 6 defencemen for the Islanders,
and you tell me they are a playoff team.

In front of the aging Nabakov.

I really don't see it, no matter how many goals and assists Tavares and Moulson and company get.

Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2013 :  16:25:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm confused, are you saying Slozo that it's a bad bet for me or for Joshua?

Because one post you are saying that all the teams are fairly equal and unpredictable.

And the next you are agreeing with me by saying that the Islanders have a horrible defense and have an aging Nabokov.

?????
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2013 :  22:59:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Leafs81

I'm confused, are you saying Slozo that it's a bad bet for me or for Joshua?

Because one post you are saying that all the teams are fairly equal and unpredictable.

And the next you are agreeing with me by saying that the Islanders have a horrible defense and have an aging Nabokov.

?????

Hmm, I see how you could say that I was contradicting myself, but I didn't explain it well enough - explain my thoughts on it, that is.

I think that, as unpredictable and somewhat difficult it is to predict the exact placings of the teams that will be right up with and probably below Pittsburgh - the Rangers; Philly; Washington; Carolina; and possibly even Columbus - I think they are all a slight step ahead of the Islanders in terms of total team strength. Basically, I do think that one of the teams, maybe two, could finish below the Islanders - but it's seriously unlikely, and improbable, that three will. And Pittsburgh is a near guarantee to finish ahead of the Islanders.

So that does leave the Islanders out, IMHO. I think the unpredictability lies in teams like Philly and Columbus and the Rangers . . . hard to tell if the Rangers and Philly really are marginal playoff teams, or if last year was an outlier - and with Columbus, hard to tell if they make the next step upward in a totally new division. On paper, Columbus should finish ahead of the Isles, really.

You still didn't get me those 6 Islanders defencemen though . . .

. . . ok, I'll help you out.

37 yr old Visnovsky - your top offensive guy now . . . fading stats however, and the mediocre defence he provides isn't improving either.
Andrew McDonald - an NHL defenceman. Nothing to see here, just a 4th or 5th guy on a depth chart.
Travis Hamonic - a decent defensive guy, but nothing special.
Thomas Hickey - played decent minutes, a young small defenceman who was decent defensively. Nothing too special though, bring no offence to the table to speak of.
Brian Strait - coming into his own as a depth, defensive guy . . . but certainly nothing to rave about.
Radek Martinek - an old pylon that can eat up minutes and produce nothing much at all except the odd gaffe.
Matt Carkner - yes, we have your tough guy here. Actually, his profile holds his own among this crowd of nobodies . . . won't embarrass you defensively most of the time, but yeah - a pylon some of the time.

That's 7, for your top 6 . . . and only Visnovsky has ANY skill of note, and that is quickly fading as noted.

It's a motley crew, and they will quickly realise how much Streit meant to them.

Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2013 :  10:21:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
?????

Slozo are you talking to me or Joshua about the defense. Because in a post above I clearly stated that there was not much on d after Visnovsky and Hamonic except for MacDonald maybe. So we definitly agree here.

As for the bet I said Islanders would finish two spots lower then the Rangers. Joshua is the one praising the Islanders and expecting a good season from them (actually ranking them 3rd in the division). So I think we agree here also.

And when you asked to name the top 6 defense on the Islanders, I thought you asked Joshua, because then again he's the one betting on the Islanders.

Just a big tornado of confusion haha...

but yeah is the bet ridiculous for me or Joshua?

edit : ah ok I was also really confused, you quoted Joshua when pointing out a ridiculous bet. So humm hey good news, there'll be one more Leafs avatar during the playoffs

Edited by - Leafs81 on 09/07/2013 10:24:05
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2013 :  13:01:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, thanks for pointing out that D Slozo. I never realized just how thin it is! I have to think that Griffin Reinhart will make this squad of nobodies? Not saying as a rookie he'll have a huge impact and/or improve them drastically, but surely he's gotta be better than a couple of these guys???
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2013 :  08:38:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry Slozo, took the weekend away from the net. I will give it to you the defense was well stated. I don't think you have given enough credit to Harmonic, Hickey or Macdonald, but you are right about the remainder of the core. Visnovsky is aging and not the player he was before, but I wouldn't call him a defensive liability. As Alex has said they have a few other young players to bring up, but they aren't gonna plug any holes in a major way. I do however see a wealth of prospects in defense and forward which will help with overall defensive depth. Here is the link to the Islanders prospects.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/teams/new_york_islanders/

Your other point against was goaltending which if you look at the depth chart, the Islanders have 3 decent ranked goalies they will try out with an aging yet still dependable #1 in Nabokov. Like I said before both goaltending and Defense could be fixed with a few free agent signing or a trade of the massive wealth of prospects the Islanders have or a few of the prospects blossoming this year. Either way I have made my bet and I am ok with the odds. The forwards you haven't spoke of yet playing alongside of the top 2 are of such quality this team will do fine. I am not betting the Islander win the conference, I am betting the Islanders finish no lower than 2 spots below the Rangers.

If you really want to know why I took this bet, its because I see the Rangers finishing between 3-4th and that gives me a chance to win if the Islanders finish 5-6th. I just think my odds are good on this one, with the Columbus, Carolina and New Jersey IMO bottoming the division all the Islanders have to do is climb over 2 or the Rangers to finish less than 3rd/4th and my prediction is right. And I truly believe this team is better than a 5th-6th finish with the wealth of forwards and prospects, but that is why I am in the minority.

quote:
Originally posted by slozo

quote:

I really don't see it, no matter how many goals and assists Tavares and Moulson and company get.

Edited by - JOSHUACANADA on 09/09/2013 11:03:53
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2013 :  20:56:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sorry Slozo, took the weekend away from the net. I will give it to you the defense was well stated. I don't think you have given enough credit to Harmonic, Hickey or Macdonald, but you are right about the remainder of the core. Visnovsky is aging and not the player he was before, but I wouldn't call him a defensive liability. As Alex has said they have a few other young players to bring up, but they aren't gonna plug any holes in a major way. I do however see a wealth of prospects in defense and forward which will help with overall defensive depth. Here is the link to the Islanders prospects.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/teams/new_york_islanders/

Your other point against was goaltending which if you look at the depth chart, the Islanders have 3 decent ranked goalies they will try out with an aging yet still dependable #1 in Nabokov. Like I said before both goaltending and Defense could be fixed with a few free agent signing or a trade of the massive wealth of prospects the Islanders have or a few of the prospects blossoming this year. Either way I have made my bet and I am ok with the odds. The forwards you haven't spoke of yet playing alongside of the top 2 are of such quality this team will do fine. I am not betting the Islander win the conference, I am betting the Islanders finish no lower than 2 spots below the Rangers.

If you really want to know why I took this bet, its because I see the Rangers finishing between 3-4th and that gives me a chance to win if the Islanders finish 5-6th. I just think my odds are good on this one, with the Columbus, Carolina and New Jersey IMO bottoming the division all the Islanders have to do is climb over 2 or the Rangers to finish less than 3rd/4th and my prediction is right. And I truly believe this team is better than a 5th-6th finish with the wealth of forwards and prospects, but that is why I am in the minority.

quote:

quote:

Hey - I get it, you really like the Islanders offense . . . and they are good and young. Very similar to a Leafs team I know very well, minus the goaltending and defence.

Their new division is too deep however . . . I see the Islanders taking a big step backward. The Rangers could save you in your bet . . . I'm not saying it's not possible for the Rangers to finish in 4th - but it's really, really unlikely, I think.

ps - who are the other two great young goalie prospects fighting for a job that just rolled off your tongue?

Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2013 :  08:52:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A slight tweak to your last comment would be 3 goaltending prospects, not great goaltending prospects. If you look at the depth chart I provided, it has a link and rates the 3 of them at 7-7.5 out of 10, in future value and ability to climb to the NHL level. 8-9 would be better but like I said the Islander can still free agent there way into goalie depth if needs be.

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2013 :  15:34:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joshua, you do realize that link to Hockey's Future lists "Goaltending Prospects" as a weakness, right?
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2013 :  16:35:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

Joshua, you do realize that link to Hockey's Future lists "Goaltending Prospects" as a weakness, right?

7-7.5 is the Islanders rating. Would have preferred 8-9, but sleeper goalies have happened. And again, one free agent signing away from lack of depth. Come on guys I am hoping for 5-6th here outta 8 team division for a team that finished 6th in the 16 teams in the East last year, 1 point behind the Rangers and pushed the Pens to 7 games of overtime. Ask any Leafs fan and game 7 in the first round is almost a cup, ya know!

Edited by - JOSHUACANADA on 09/10/2013 16:38:00
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2013 :  05:39:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

7-7.5 is the Islanders rating. Would have preferred 8-9, but sleeper goalies have happened. And again, one free agent signing away from lack of depth. Come on guys I am hoping for 5-6th here outta 8 team division for a team that finished 6th in the 16 teams in the East last year, 1 point behind the Rangers and pushed the Pens to 7 games of overtime. Ask any Leafs fan and game 7 in the first round is almost a cup, ya know!

I see . . . so still can't name those goalies, eh? Well, ya never know, maybe they will be on cereal boxes soon enough!

The problem is, in this 8 team division . . . there are no weak sisters, really, other than possibly New Jersey. But even with an aging Brodeur, they have 100% solidified any possibility of goalie failure with Schneider there. And as historically weak as their defence is . . . it's still a team that should be competetive.

The more I look at it, the more I think the Islanders finish last this year.

Pittsburgh and the Rangers look to be solid top 4; And between Washington, Carolina and the Flyers, I think 2 of those 3 make it in as well, certainly. And I think Columbus will be right there, even with a chance at getting in the playoffs if everything falls into place . . . they certainly look much more solid than the Islanders, I think.

No need to make oblique references to other teams like the Leafs, dude . . . these Isles will be in very, very tough this year, no doubt about it.

Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2013 :  07:56:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Challenge accepted. I decided since you kept requesting info rather than referring to the hockey future link I provided it might be best if I copy and paste the info on just the first goalie listed, which I did have a rough idea about. Think Bishop, but Swedish at 6-4 and 23 years old.

Anders Nilsson is a Swedish goalie with a Bronze medal in the World Juniors, played in 2011 in the Swedish elite league, went 18-13 with 6 shutouts and a 1.89 GAA and .920 save percentage. After finishing fourth in the Elitserien regular season, Lulea advanced to the playoff semifinals. Nilsson was 6-7 in 13 playoff games with a 1.96 GAA and .931 save percentage. In 2012 Nilsson made his NHL debut, appearing in two games in November and two more in March, and played in 25 games for the Islanders' AHL affiliate Bridgeport in his first season in North America. He got his only NHL win on March 4th, recording 24 saves in a 1-0 shutout of New Jersey. He finished 1-2 with a 2.75 goals against and .911 save percentage. Nilsson was 15-10 for Bridgeport with 1 shutout and had a 2.42 goals against and .911 save percentage.

Talent Analysis

A huge goaltender that is technically skilled. Nilsson has good hockey smarts plays with calmness and has good mental strength. Challenges the shooters and has been very consistent during his career, rarely having bad games. Furthermore, he is athletic and quite agile.

Future

Nilsson projects as a number one goaltender in the NHL after another full season of playing hockey in North America.

Edited by - JOSHUACANADA on 09/11/2013 07:57:29
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2013 :  09:56:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Ask any Leafs fan and game 7 in the first round is almost a cup, ya know!

No need to make oblique references to other teams like the Leafs, dude . . . these Isles will be in very, very tough this year, no doubt about it.

In this circumstance I was trying to spin the topic a little bit at Leafs fans expense, but the point is valid. Why does Toronto rank in the top 3-4 in there division, but the Islanders rank last in there division in your opinion? Both finished similar in points and position for last years standings and both challenged cup favorites to 7 games in the 1st round of the playoffs.

Both are similar with the Islanders having secured a true #1 goalie, which everyone seems to think is a weakness for the Islanders, with way more experience in the regular or post season.

You can talk defensive depth all day, but I will counter that the forwards are deeper on Long Island. Prospect depth wise the Islanders are ranked in the top 5 while Toronto is ranked at 24th. Did you know in 2012 the Islanders use all of its picks for defenseman? The defensive future for the Islanders is in Bridgeport if they don't go the free agent route.

Toronto is having a hard time securing Kadri and Franson, 2 key players for Toronto's future, with what is left of there cap space, while the Islander's enjoy 20 some odd million of cap space to secure whatever people assume will be holes in the lineup.

All I am betting is the Islanders finish no more than 2 spots lower than the Rangers, which they could finish 8th and the Rangers could finish 6th and I still win. Hell the Rangers could finish 1st and I still win if the Islanders finish in 3rd. I am happy with my bet.

Edited by - JOSHUACANADA on 09/11/2013 10:21:42
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2013 :  10:28:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Small edit to my last reply. Kadri has just signed.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2013 :  07:47:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joshua,
I'll let the others chime in, ok? I've talked enough about the Islanders, my opinion is clear, my reasons, clear.

Go to Top of Page

@valanche
Rookie

Canada
240 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2013 :  11:10:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think the capitals struggle in a "real division"

66 is > than 99
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2013 :  12:21:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Caps could struggle, but then again now the don't have to finish 1st to secure a playoff birth. Now they can finish anywhere from 3rd to 5th and be in a points position to secure a playoff birth, which may take the pressure off somewhat. This team definitely has some talent on the roster.

Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2013 :  12:31:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Joshua,
I'll let the others chime in, ok? I've talked enough about the Islanders, my opinion is clear, my reasons, clear.

Actually I was hoping you had an opinion between the 2 teams. Its why I directed the question to Leafs fans. Do the Islanders have as good of a chance as the Leafs to improve or maintain in the standings year over year.

Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2013 :  15:25:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Islanders has a brighter future due to cap space, contract situation and prospects. (on paper)

But Toronto are better right now (on paper)
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2013 :  21:25:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Joshua,

Actually I was hoping you had an opinion between the 2 teams. Its why I directed the question to Leafs fans. Do the Islanders have as good of a chance as the Leafs to improve or maintain in the standings year over year.

Ok, I'll repeat myself then:

The Islanders have a much lower chance to maintain their position of last year. WAY lower, IMHO.

They lost their captain, and probably second best player in Streit - with no replacement. Nabakov played ok, but the defence got worse, and he'll now have to get through a full season of more rubber. The offence is right up there, but with no one that defensively responsible really. Run and gun rarely wins in the long run. Especially against teams that can outgun you (Pittsburgh, Philly) and teams with way better defence and goaltending (Rangers, Jersey, Washington, Carolina). I just conviced myself, in fact . . . New Jersey finishes ahead of the Islanders - Isles finish last in the division, I say.

Toronto, on the other hand, improved positionally - an out of role Grabo (cause he sucked and was ousted in his 2nd line role) replaced with a very good third liner (Bolland); MacArthur replaced with offence at least as good with twice the grit and boardwork (Clarkson); and the defence in essence gets two potential "new guys" in Gardiner (sure to be up with the club full-time for the whole year) and possibly even Reilly. Ranger replaces Fraser, which might be an upgrade too (not sure, probably closer to a wash). Oh, and we got a huge upgrade on our back-up, to the point where any Reimer injury means we have a second starter to play in Bernier.

With the division changes, Toronto I think is in a battle for second, third spot with Ottawa, maybe Detroit, outside chance Montreal, maybe Buffalo . . . but honestly, I am looking at Toronto in third in the new division at the very least, probably second. So that to me is status quo with last year's surprise finish, maybe even a touch better (4th or 5th overall in the Eastern Conference is my guess).

Clear?

Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2013 :  08:23:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I Should bet you on standings, Slozo. Because both play in separate divisions it would be harder to put the bet together. Both teams finished 3rd in there 5 team division's last year, but finished 3 spots apart in the conference standings with only 2 points apart. You figure Toronto has improved enough to gain in the standing and Islanders have lost enough to lose position in the standings. Last year we bet for signature, would you be willing to bet the same, over a change of no more than a 2 position change for the Islanders vs the Leafs, leaving no more than a 5 position spread in the standings? If the Islanders finish in 9th the Leafs must finish higher than 4th, if the Islanders finish in 16th as is your claim the Leafs can't finish lower than 10th for you to win.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2013 :  09:41:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I Should bet you on standings, Slozo. Because both play in separate divisions it would be harder to put the bet together. Both teams finished 3rd in there 5 team division's last year, but finished 3 spots apart in the conference standings with only 2 points apart. You figure Toronto has improved enough to gain in the standing and Islanders have lost enough to lose position in the standings. Last year we bet for signature, would you be willing to bet the same, over a change of no more than a 2 position change for the Islanders vs the Leafs, leaving no more than a 5 position spread in the standings? If the Islanders finish in 9th the Leafs must finish higher than 4th, if the Islanders finish in 16th as is your claim the Leafs can't finish lower than 10th for you to win.

You left out two important things that have to do with this year's full season schedule, which has a different set-up than last year's abbreviated schedule. Three things, actually:

On paper, the division Toronto just got easier, with the inclusion of Tampa Bay, Florida, to be added to potentially weaker teams Buffalo and Montreal - at least one of them is sure to be weaker, is my guess.

On paper, the Islanders division got more difficult, with additions Carolina, Columbus and Washington not presenting any foreseeable "weak sisters" as far as I can see it.

All teams in the Eastern Conference play 30 Divisional games.

That's what you forgot to factor in.

No bet bud - too many to follow, and I'll leave it up to you to rejoin this conversation at the end of the year.

Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2013 :  09:47:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So you said no go to betting me on the rise of Toronto in a weaker division vs a lowering of NYI based on them being in a stronger division? I'd have thought that would have locked it for you. You seem to be giving me all the reasons why you should win, yes!

quote:

quote:

You left out two important things that have to do with this year's full season schedule, which has a different set-up than last year's abbreviated schedule. Three things, actually:

On paper, the division Toronto just got easier, with the inclusion of Tampa Bay, Florida, to be added to potentially weaker teams Buffalo and Montreal - at least one of them is sure to be weaker, is my guess.

On paper, the Islanders division got more difficult, with additions Carolina, Columbus and Washington not presenting any foreseeable "weak sisters" as far as I can see it.

All teams in the Eastern Conference play 30 Divisional games.

That's what you forgot to factor in.

No bet bud - too many to follow, and I'll leave it up to you to rejoin this conversation at the end of the year.

Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2013 :  10:16:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the reason you wont bet Islanders VS Toronto is because you see both teams as marginal playoff teams and don't see the spread in positioning being greater than last years spread. To be honest I was trying to goad you into a bet slanted my way, because I think the Islanders are as good potentially as they were last year, same with Toronto, which would leave them fairly close in the standings.

Btw, you said Montreal was gonna be in the weaker team category? I get the Tampa, Florida and Buffalo statement, but Montreal? I even think Tampa and Florida have parts and pieces to make it challenging from the bottom to the middle of the Atlantic division. Buffalo being the big ? mark, as I don't know if Miller and Vanek will be with the team as they look to improve or rebuild. They could do well and surprise a lot of us. I think both Eastern Division will be well represented.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2013 :  09:10:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think the reason you wont bet Islanders VS Toronto is because you see both teams as marginal playoff teams and don't see the spread in positioning being greater than last years spread. To be honest I was trying to goad you into a bet slanted my way, because I think the Islanders are as good potentially as they were last year, same with Toronto, which would leave them fairly close in the standings.

Btw, you said Montreal was gonna be in the weaker team category? I get the Tampa, Florida and Buffalo statement, but Montreal? I even think Tampa and Florida have parts and pieces to make it challenging from the bottom to the middle of the Atlantic division. Buffalo being the big ? mark, as I don't know if Miller and Vanek will be with the team as they look to improve or rebuild. They could do well and surprise a lot of us. I think both Eastern Division will be well represented.

Welcome to the Metropolitan Division,
home of the Pens, Flyers, all NY area teams, Carolina, Washington, and Columbus.

Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2014 :  13:36:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

So Rangers finish 2nd and Islanders finish 8th. Playoffs are starting tonight. I think you need to wear a Leafs avatar.

Nice dealing with you!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2014 :  09:32:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Leafs81

quote:

So Rangers finish 2nd and Islanders finish 8th. Playoffs are starting tonight. I think you need to wear a Leafs avatar.

Nice dealing with you!

Leafs avatar?

I was thinking more . . . THE CONE OF SHAME.

All hail Canada`s team the Montreal Canadiens our hope for a Stanley Cup to come home to Canada is 2014! Keep Calm and Carey on!
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2014 :  11:52:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To be honest the leafs avatar is now the3 cone of shame. Havent loggedin in a while or would have put the avatar on sooner
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2014 :  13:31:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

To be honest the leafs avatar is now the3 cone of shame. Havent loggedin in a while or would have put the avatar on sooner

Thanks for being game JoshuaCanada. To be honest it looks good on you.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page