Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Edler, suspended again. Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2013 :  16:40:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alex Edler received a 3 game Shannyban for his hit on Tomas Hertl the other night. Here's Shanny's breakdown/explanation with video link to the hit.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/canucks-alex-edler-suspended-3-games-for-illegal-check-1.1991264

Thoughts?

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2013 :  20:45:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
very similar type of play that Brad Stuart got suspended on. Stuart got 3 games, so its consistent with the going rate for that kind of play.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2013 :  22:11:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I originally thought a game or two but forgot that he's considered a "repeat offender". I do think Stuarts was worse as Nash was unsuspecting whereas Herl should see that coming.

It's unfortunate that hits like this are being taken out of the game because what else was Edler to do? It's going to get to the point that dmen simply have to give up that hit / battle for the puck and simply retreat into a defensive spot instead and try to stop the forward who will simply gather the puck.

It was interesting to hear the comments on the radio though as, I can't remember who it was that said it, it was noted by someone that "On hits like this, there has to be some responsibility on the other end (Hertl)".

There was a great example in the Habs / Canucks game tonight and it happened so quickly that I didn't catch who it was, but a Montreal player was low, reaching for a puck and saw the Canuck player coming in hard. The Montreal player eased up and avoided the contact! It was a totally different situation and not a race for a puck in the neutral zone, but in this case, the player did take into account the prone position he was putting himself in! What seemed like and prob was a very insignificant play, registered with me after debating the Edler hit / suspension!

Edited by - Alex116 on 10/12/2013 22:12:08
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2013 :  21:55:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At first glance, I actually thought (for the first time in a LONG time) that the suspension was too much. Seemed like a hockey play!

But then I looked further, rewound, played again, looked at the different angles (always like to do so at real time), then saw Shanahan's explanation . . . and I agree with it. Very well done, in fact, as it's an extremely difficult one to judge, IMHO.

It's a rising star player (he's hot like wildfire, at the very least). Has to be taken into consideration, as it makes him a prime target.
Edler's a repeat offender.
And most importantly . .. it surely does target the head.

I agree with it, with one caveat.

Where was this for Crosby's initial hit to the head way back when? It's the same thing, and Edler does a similar "I'm just loking straight ahead, and stiff-arming for the head shot" move.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page