Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Western Conference - Pacific Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Edmonton
 Devan Dubnyk - not good Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sahis34
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
591 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2013 :  20:00:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dubnyk has a G.A.A 5.43, Sv % .829 Can he keep it up?
Seriously though wtf, the oilers cant win with goaltending like that, he's going all marc-andre fleury playoff mode.Mac-T is an impatient guy, if this goes on for a few more games then another guys coming in.

sahis34
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
591 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2013 :  20:31:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I overdid it with the faces...
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2013 :  21:59:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He's in a bad slump, or maybe . . . we are seeing the beginning of the end of his career. We'll know in two weeks.

Haven't seen enough of him to tell you, but on the last nail in the coffin so far . . . bit of a tough break to lose that wild Leafs game. To put it into perspective, Bernier was the hottest goalie in the league with probably closest to the best GAA, and he gave up 5, so . . . it really was one of those games, and against a team notorious for an excellent shotting percentage the last two years (the Leafs and their snipers). So . . . off that game, I wouldn't put too much stock into it.

But he hasn't been sharp, for sure.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2013 :  18:10:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dubnyk is an ok goalie with a defense that are inexperienced and struggles at times.

He had a great season last year and I think they Oilers just needs another good goalie to get some insurance. A 1A 1B goalie scenario would be good for the Oilers. Just like the Leafs are doing with Bernier and Reimer.

Reminds me of the situation Raycroft and later Toskala were in.
Go to Top of Page

sahis34
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
591 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2013 :  18:49:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the ineptness of the oilers D is overated, Dubnyk hardly ever bails the team out of a turnover or a bad play.
Go to Top of Page

mandree888
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
400 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2013 :  04:49:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Enter Ilya Bryzgalov???
hmmmmm
Go to Top of Page

The_Gipper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
285 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2013 :  05:32:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
why not pick up Martin Biron? he just got waived by the Rangers. i think he'd be a good veteran presence to have around Dubnyk, and only comes at a $1.3M cap hit.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2013 :  08:01:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dubnyk is not playing as well so far this season as he did last season. He has proven over time to be the kind of goalie is likely to let in a softie at least once every game. Above that, the guy has no confidence and it's easy to see. It's also easy to throw a guy under the bus like in the Leafs game where a) the Lupul goal was weak and b) he should have covered the puck and forced a face off when his team owned the face off circle all night.

But let's face it, the Oilers are trying to learn their fourth new system in 5 years and it's not working very well. It's not just the Oilers defence that looks poor, the entire team looks poor. There are a few players each night that play ok but for the most part they are playing terrible team hockey.

Dubnyk is getting the lion's share of the blame and it's not all deserved. He's not playing well, but it's not like the Oilers would be 4-1 if they had a different goalie in net.

Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2013 :  08:14:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Argued a good portion of last year with Beans, that Dubnyk wouldn't be able to handle the #1 duties and Edmonton needed to address goaltender depth. Edmonton should have addressed this weakness last year, prior to the trade deadline. Had they done it then they might have made the playoffs last year and wouldn't now only have 3 out of a possible 12 points to start the season. Edmonton has the distinction of leading the league in goals against. Missed the boat on Emery, which should have been the #1 choice for Edmonton and of the FA's still out there, they should make a play for Bryz or claim Biron, as mentioned by another. My money would be on Bryz. When I watched last nights game, what I heard has held Edmonton back is the fact they don't want Dubnyk to come back and haunt them like Mike Smith has. other goalies have.

Edited by - JOSHUACANADA on 10/16/2013 12:45:08
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2013 :  08:29:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have sparred about this a tonne. There are lots of teams working through new systems coaches and players, but Edmonton has the worst goals against in the first 6 games in all of the NHL, yet is in the top 5 of goals for. I am not saying they win in every game they lost, but it is clear and has been clear for a while, the team doesn't win enough with the goalies they have now.

quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Dubnyk is not playing as well so far this season as he did last season. He has proven over time to be the kind of goalie is likely to let in a softie at least once every game. Above that, the guy has no confidence and it's easy to see. It's also easy to throw a guy under the bus like in the Leafs game where a) the Lupul goal was weak and b) he should have covered the puck and forced a face off when his team owned the face off circle all night.

But let's face it, the Oilers are trying to learn their fourth new system in 5 years and it's not working very well. It's not just the Oilers defence that looks poor, the entire team looks poor. There are a few players each night that play ok but for the most part they are playing terrible team hockey.

Dubnyk is getting the lion's share of the blame and it's not all deserved. He's not playing well, but it's not like the Oilers would be 4-1 if they had a different goalie in net.

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2013 :  09:01:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JOSHUACANADA
When I watched last nights game, what I heard has held Edmonton back is the fact they don't want Dubnyk to come back and haunt them like Mike Smith has.

Is this Mike Smith in Phoenix you (or they?) are/were referring to? What's he got to do with the Oilers? I don't recall him being Edm property but i could be mistaken?
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2013 :  09:05:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its what I heard, but I did check and your right he was never brought in as a goalie for the Oilers. Maybe I misheard or it was taken out of context.

Maybe they were referring to Dallas, as Smith had played there. Either that or they were referring to another goalie and I misheard

Edited by - JOSHUACANADA on 10/15/2013 09:07:22
Go to Top of Page

@valanche
Rookie

Canada
240 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2013 :  13:25:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think 4 coaches in 5 years with basically no success is a reflection of the GM and furthermore the structure of this team.

- no goalie
- couple legit defensemen
- small skilled forwards
- weak bottom 6

they have held onto their picks and prospects tightly and endured the slow rebuild and thier fans are getting impatient.

they need to:

- trade for a goaltender (st. louis, anaheim, ottawa, toronto)
- acquire shutdown players and or power forwards
- fire the GM

66 is > than 99
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2013 :  20:31:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why do they have to trade for a goalie? 6 games into the season?

Seriously, what happens if the Oiler go on a streak and win 6 of the next 8 then what?

Not making excuse for Dubnyk and he has been bad, but did anyone notice the oilers are playing 13 of their first 20 games on the road, including a 6 game stretch in the east, and 13 of those first 20 games against playoff teams from last year.

How many wins would you expect for a team like Edmonton against that? I watched most of the games and as bad as Dubnyk has been the entirety team has been awful defensively.

Go to Top of Page

sahis34
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
591 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2013 :  21:58:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I watched most of the games and as bad as Dubnyk has been the entirety team has been awful defensively.

The oilers defense was awful last year though and Id say its better this year, There's nothing here to blame but goaltending
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2013 :  06:47:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is completely subjective sashis. A team doesn't give up 4+ goals a game on goaltending alone. The performance of both goalies is well below their career numbers. Dubnyk's playing worse than Labarbara but at 3.22 GAA and .871 sav %, He's not doing much better. Labarbara is a career .910-2.85 guy.

Why are his numbers worse too? Why are both goalies numbers worse than last year and their career numbers? My opinion is the Oilers have been terrible in their own end. The opposition plays most of the game on the Oilers side of the ice and the turn the puck over at their blue line more than any other team I have seen.

Again, making no excuses for Dubnyk but call a spade a space. Neither he or Labarbara are getting much support in their end of the ice.

Go to Top of Page

markliso
Rookie

Canada
104 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2013 :  06:47:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sahis34

quote:

I watched most of the games and as bad as Dubnyk has been the entirety team has been awful defensively.

The oilers defense was awful last year though and Id say its better this year, There's nothing here to blame but goaltending

I'm with Beans, I have watched all but one game and it has been the entire team. PK has been absolutely terrible, they aren't aggressive enough nor attacking the puck enough, giving the opposition way too much time to setup. Defense has been making stupid plays, giving up the puck, throwing it out where they shouldn't be and just overall sloppy. Forwards have not been scoring enough and also been very sloppy. Goaltending has been attrocious between both Dubnyk and Labarbs. It's the entire team and system failing, not just Dubnyk. If the defense was better, then those particular "soft goals" he is letting in would've never even been a scoring chance in the first place. It has to be a team mentality, and not blaming one single aspect.

It is highly disappointing as a lifetime fan to see the team play this way. Especially after all the first round picks and all the hype and promises. If this is how they play the whole year, it's another first overall for us. And that's just pathetic.
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2013 :  06:49:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Seriously, what happens if the Oiler go on a streak and win 6 of the next 8 then what?

Not making excuse for Dubnyk and he has been bad, but did anyone notice the oilers are playing 13 of their first 20 games on the road, including a 6 game stretch in the east, and 13 of those first 20 games against playoff teams from last year.

How many wins would you expect for a team like Edmonton against that? I watched most of the games and as bad as Dubnyk has been the entirety team has been awful defensively.

Gotta agree with Beans on this one, it's been 4 games, that Dubnyk has played in this season slow down there boys,

Last year Dubnyk's stats were easily tops among starting goalies on non Playoff teams.

in every full NHL season he has played he has had solid stats, so we should forget about everything he has done in the first 139 games he played in the NHL because of the last 4?

Hello, 911? It's an emergency, my teddy bear's been kidnapped!
[pause] Hello? Hello?
Go to Top of Page

@valanche
Rookie

Canada
240 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2013 :  07:51:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I just think this team needs to make changes given their history. Last year was supposed to be the year, then this year, etc. This is a Canadian team mediocre play to downright awful won't be accepted.

they've tried different coaches, next will be the GM, but at some point the players need to take a look at what they are doing. The most glaring hole on this team is in net.

sure it likely is team defense and not just goaltending but there are goaltenders in this league that can steal games like the ones the oilers play in - dubnyk and labarbera are not goalies that can steal games consistently.

do you honestly think either of these guys is the guy of the future?

philly fired Laviolette (a great coach) 3 games in ....
so whats the big difference about making a significant trade 6 games in. The season is still fresh and lots of time to make up ground but what if we flip the coin and the Oil don't win in the next 6 games the season could then be lost, once again. When your goalie is letting in 5+ goals a game you don't go on six game winning streaks either.

i'm just saying changes need to be made because the team is sinking quickly, again, and the fans want a solution.

66 is > than 99
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2013 :  10:39:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its always the same thing. Edmonton has one of if not the worst goals against and the answer is always its early give it a chance. Well the playoffs are not lost in the last few games of the season only. The road to the playoffs is easier if the team feels like it has a chance in every game. Does the team you see on the ice this year give you the impression they have confidence? Do you have confidence that this is the team to make the playoffs? The problem has been apparent for a really long time. Playoff teams have a clear #1 goalie and Edmonton does not, its that simple, so stop making excuses. I don't expect the team playing in front of a goalie whom they cant trust, to play a perfect game, mistake free to make up for the weak goals. Fix the problem while the solution is apparent and playoffs are still in the windshield. If they don't the will be looking in the rearview mirror wondering what wrong turn they took.

Edited by - JOSHUACANADA on 10/16/2013 10:39:32
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2013 :  13:24:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the Oilers make a move for a goalie just 6 games in (or be it 9-10?), it doesn't just signal they've lost faith in Dubnyk, it would be a clear sign that they weren't too confident in him as their long term guy all along.

I've not watched a lot of the Oilers this season (parts of 2 games), but during one game i watched, Dubnyk let in a long soft shot and the commentator's words were something along the lines of ".....And Dubnyk lets in YET ANOTHER goal from a long ways out.....he needs to make those easy saves and so far this year he'd not.....". THIS, to me, says it is more the goalie than the entire team, though i'm sure there's some blame to go elsewhere as well?

Also, i didn't see any of the Leafs/Oilers game, but i did here from more than one media guy that "the Oilers were the better team on the ice most of the night, but didn't get the goaltending they needed for the win".

Be it a slump to start the year, or something else, i think Dubnyk is taking most of the blame in a deserved manner.
Go to Top of Page

sahis34
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
591 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2013 :  13:44:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it's not completely subjective they're allowing less shots
Go to Top of Page

sahis34
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
591 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2013 :  14:00:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The oilers are still a young team, full of players not to far out of junior where they could put their team on their shoulders and win that way. That's what they're trying to do now particularly Hall and Yakupov. They are naturally offensive players though so they double their efforts on offense and make bad defensive plays in the process. Yakupov has to stop trying to beat guys 1 on 4, and for Christ sake Hall, YOU CAN'T DO A TOEDRAG, STOP TRYING!! They have to be more structured in their play and the fact that coaches have been short lived explains why they lack structure, but hopefully the young guys can learn quickly.
Anyway my point is that the oilers are almost panicking to score because they think they need to score 5 goals every night to win, and because of this they neglect to play defence and go all out on offense. This is because they have no confidence in their goalies. A weak goal completely sucks the life out of a team. You think the team is leaving Dubnyk out to dry when they play bad defense? Well in a sense Dubnyk is leaving the team out to dry when he can't stop a point shot. It all starts with goaltending, players have to have confidence in their goalie.
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2013 :  14:56:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Funny how you're razzing Dubnyk and then talk about Yakupov trying to put the team on his back,,,, pretty sure you havn't been watching I mean you then may have noticed Yakupov has been a healthy scratch twice this year,

yup Goaltending had been bad for the Oil, but it's not only goaltending the Oil have struggled with,

and again Dubnyk has played 4 games , 1 shut out and his numbers go down drasticly becuase we are talking about a tiny sample size,

[pause] Hello? Hello?
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2013 :  15:24:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pasty its just as likely he will have 5 goals against as he would to have a shutout. What will you say if he gets shellacked in New York against the Islanders next game? Before the 2 good goalies on the market get picked up Edmonton needs to take a good hard look at Biron and Bryz. Even if the have to go the way of trade to move cap, Edmonton has to at least look into the market if they can.
Go to Top of Page

sahis34
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
591 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2013 :  15:42:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pasty7

Funny how you're razzing Dubnyk and then talk about Yakupov trying to put the team on his back,,,, pretty sure you havn't been watching I mean you then may have noticed Yakupov has been a healthy scratch twice this year,

yup Goaltending had been bad for the Oil, but it's not only goaltending the Oil have struggled with,

and again Dubnyk has played 4 games , 1 shut out and his numbers go down drasticly becuase we are talking about a tiny sample size,

[pause] Hello? Hello?

I wasn't saying yakupov was succeeding in fact I was saying the opposite, that's why he's been a healthy scratch
Go to Top of Page

@valanche
Rookie

Canada
240 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2013 :  16:52:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Pasty its just as likely he will have 5 goals against as he would to have a shutout. What will you say if he gets shellacked in New York against the Islanders next game? Before the 2 good goalies on the market get picked up Edmonton needs to take a good hard look at Biron and Bryz. Even if the have to go the way of trade to move cap, Edmonton has to at least look into the market if they can.

Biron and Bryz are your solution? I take Labarbera and Dubnyk over either of those two.

66 is > than 99
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2013 :  18:13:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by @valanche

quote:

Biron and Bryz are your solution? I take Labarbera and Dubnyk over either of those two.

66 is > than 99

Your drunk! Biron is an instant upgrade over either, why do you think a backup goalie got headlines for missing some preseason. Because he is a proven #1. Bryz with all his antics is much better, a proven #1 and has the potential to steal games. Don't go by headlines and Philly's troubles to label the goalie.

Bryz is 208w - 149l - 45ot with 30 shutouts, a career .913 average and 2.55 gaa on some pretty crappy defensive teams.

Biron is 230w - 191l - 25t - 27ot with 28 shutouts, .910 and 2.62 gaa on some good/bad defensive teams.

Dubnyk is 50 - 62 - 20 with 6 Shutouts, .911 and 2.84 gaa.

Labarberra is 60 - 72 - 19 with 19 Shutouts, .908 and 2.85 gaa. He is a mostly career backup who lost his starter job twice. Still think he is better than Dubnyk.

The goals against average, shutouts and most importantly wins highlight how those 2 are much improved over what Edmonton's 2 offer. That's stats. Watching these 2 in Edmonton play, i'd say without a doubt, get on the phone MacT cause you got a problem that ain't going away with wishes.

Edited by - JOSHUACANADA on 10/16/2013 18:17:33
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2013 :  18:28:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Absolute fix to Edmonton would be Dubnyk and Yakopov for Miller and Myers. Once Nurse comes up the defense would be big tough and strong. Miller can win the tight games.
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2013 :  19:28:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

actually given his age the way he played last year and over the course of his career its far far far more likely he has a shutout then let in 5 goals,

[pause] Hello? Hello?
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2013 :  20:47:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually given his talent, the team in front of him and how he has played this year he is more likely to have 5 goals against than a shutout.
Go to Top of Page

sahis34
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
591 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2013 :  22:31:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Absolute fix to Edmonton would be Dubnyk and Yakopov for Miller and Myers. Once Nurse comes up the defense would be big tough and strong. Miller can win the tight games.

Myers sucks, Miller's a free agent and yakupov is a 19 year potential superstar likely to put up 40 goal season on a consistent basis, definitely no. If the oilers go after a goalie it would be brian Elliot in st. louis
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2013 :  05:21:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry guys i still don't get how you can give up on a goalie who was one of the better goalies in the league last season after he's played 4 games this season, by that logic Kadri should retire because he had one good season last year and now isn't after 6 games,,, obsurd!

[pause] Hello? Hello?
Go to Top of Page

markliso
Rookie

Canada
104 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2013 :  06:33:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't and won't give up on Dubnyk YET, I stick by my comment that it is the entire team. Someone made a good point that the young guns aren't honing in defensively, which is true, but I feel the defense hasn't been great either.

I dunno, I won't blame the goalie (only) and hang him out to dry, even though he has definitely let in a few softies, I feel this is a team responsibility and the defense just hasn't stepped up this year in blocking shots, upping the PK, and being more aggressive on the puck.

Tonights game against the islanders should be interesting, similar playstyles...

Maybe bringing in Bryz or making a change by the 10 game mark is exactly what they need... just something to shake things up.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2013 :  06:37:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sorry guys i still don't get how you can give up on a goalie who was one of the better goalies in the league last season after he's played 4 games this season, by that logic Kadri should retire because he had one good season last year and now isn't after 6 games,,, obsurd!

[pause] Hello? Hello?

First off, Kadri's on a point per game pace, better than last year, with 7 points in 7 games played (versus 44 pts in 48 games played last year).

So that was 100% incorrect.

Secondly, it's spelled "absurd".

Thirdly, and much more to the point . . .
Dubnyk was most certainly NOT one of the best goalies last season . . . at least, he wasn't considered as so by any hockey analyst that I know of. Sure, he had a very good .920 save percentage - which I guess is what you are going off of - but the stats don't tell the whole story bud.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2013 :  07:53:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it were true that Dubnyk was one of the better I understand your logic. I stand by my comments because Dubnyk is not one of the better goalies and have told anybody who would listen for years.
quote:

[pause] Hello? Hello?

Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2013 :  08:21:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sahis34

quote:

Myers sucks, Miller's a free agent and yakupov is a 19 year potential superstar likely to put up 40 goal season on a consistent basis, definitely no. If the oilers go after a goalie it would be brian Elliot in st. louis

Miller is a better goalie than Elliot. Yakopov is being scratched and the Oilers are risking he is gonna leave for KHL if they continue to sit him. My thoughts are they are protecting him while they shop him. Myers isn't playing well now, but I have a feeling in the right circumstance he would do great. Vanek is rumoured to be leaving Buffalo at the end of the year, with his most likely destination being Minnesota. Edmonton has a tonne of offensive players and Yakopov would be a serviceable replacement for Vanek. Besides Edmonton can't keep and play all the offensive players they have now without having one sit or dropping a guy to the bottom 6 who doesn't belong. Yaks for Miller, Dubnyk for Myers would be both teams getting the most for what they have now.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2013 :  10:23:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I should have elaborated. Yakapov is sitting because he doesn't want to back check and play a 200 foot game. He wants ice time and the coach has him in his dog house. There is no doubt about his offensive game, just that the situation isn't ideal for him. It has been rumored the KHL is a likely destination if he doesn't start getting playing time. MacT has been rumored to be talking with Buffalo and with Yakapov sitting, its just feeding the rumors more. Doesn't seem like Yakopov for Miller is a fair trade considering Miller is a FA at the end of the year, but if Yakopov leaves the Oilers lose him for nothing. I threw the Myers for Dubnyk in with the trade report because Edmonton needs defenseman and Myers is also in the doghouse in Buffalo, because he hasn't regained his rookie form. If Miller comes in, 1 of the goalies has to go and Dubnyk being the most likely to go due to his inability to get playing time behind Miller should it happen. There are a few defenseman in Buffalo I would take but Myers being something I would take the chance on working with.
Go to Top of Page

@valanche
Rookie

Canada
240 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2013 :  11:40:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/17/report-oilers-sabres-working-on-major-trade/

I guess the Oilers might be working on something after all..

but Ryan Miller really? If you're going to give up Yakupov I'd think they would wan't someone a bit younger, even Enroth+ seems better in my mind but who knows it could work.

66 is > than 99
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2013 :  12:59:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Sabres/Oilers rumour has been around for a day or two now. Could happen i guess, but if i'm the Oilers, i have absolutely NO INTEREST in Miller. If i'm looking to trade an asset like Yakupov, who just two years ago was the #1 overall pick, i'm getting back a much younger goalie, more in the mold of Cory Schneider, who ironically, the Oilers were making a run at back at the draft.

I do think Myers can get his game back, be it in Buffalo or elsewhere so he might be part of a package, but Miller? Leaves me shaking my head. I'd have gone after Schneider, Bernier or maybe even a Robin Lehner. Guys who've had a taste and while maybe somewhat unproven, have some serious potential and youth moving forward. Unless you could pry a mid-20's existing #1 in a package, i'd go the youth route with a guy with a little more pedigree/expectation than Dubnyk.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2013 :  13:35:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
His goals against is 2.39 with a 9.39 gaa. Prior to last night he was sporting a 1.25 goals against per game which was leading the league for starters, on a team without a win. I have seen him go cold short term, but for the last 10 years he has been as steady as any goalie in the league and is only 33. Lehner is Ottawa's goalie of the future and not likely going anywhere. You might be able to pry Anderson from Ottawa, but Lehner is a keeper. Bernier was a risk the Leafs could afford to make. Schneider was expensive for New Jersey and it hasn't worked out yet. I'd say if Edmonton can get Miller to waive his limited no trade clause, which has Edmonton on it, he is the best option.

quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

The Sabres/Oilers rumour has been around for a day or two now. Could happen i guess, but if i'm the Oilers, i have absolutely NO INTEREST in Miller. If i'm looking to trade an asset like Yakupov, who just two years ago was the #1 overall pick, i'm getting back a much younger goalie, more in the mold of Cory Schneider, who ironically, the Oilers were making a run at back at the draft.

I do think Myers can get his game back, be it in Buffalo or elsewhere so he might be part of a package, but Miller? Leaves me shaking my head. I'd have gone after Schneider, Bernier or maybe even a Robin Lehner. Guys who've had a taste and while maybe somewhat unproven, have some serious potential and youth moving forward. Unless you could pry a mid-20's existing #1 in a package, i'd go the youth route with a guy with a little more pedigree/expectation than Dubnyk.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page