Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference - Atlantic Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Toronto
 Leafs: good or lucky? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2013 :  07:37:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest8468

Thread title needs a third option: "Bad". Get outshot every game, your first line center is Tyler Bozak, dress goons regularly in a skill-league and if you don't get 10/10 goaltending night in/night out you lose.

People put wayyyy too much weight into a shortened schedule and deluded themselves into thinking this team was world-beaters, when they are really just not horribly awful like they used to be. They have some talent on the wings, to be sure. But the contending teams build from down the middle and on the back end. Leafs suck in both areas. Now that their goalies aren't running absurdly hot, they are showing their true colours.

I see.

And when this bad stretch ends (it will, trust me), and the Leafs go on a hot streak again in the future (it will happen, guaranteed), will that be the . . . fake team? The lucky team?

Making a prognosis on a team at its highest or lowest points is foolish, and will give you the incorrect assessment every time, IMHO. This is one of the lowest points in the season, the next two games notwithstanding; and that doesn't change them from still being a decent team with very good goaltending, very good wingers, a team a bit weak up the middle, with very average defence. Still in the top half of the league, folks. Hate to point this out at the end of a really bad EARLY stretch in the season . . . but it's true.

Talk to you at game 82 to confirm this.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Guest8126
( )

Posted - 12/14/2013 :  09:14:42  Reply with Quote
Between last season and this season the Leafs have played 81 games. Virtually a full season. They are 42-29-10 over the last 81 games, a killer 3 games over .500 (don't argue with me, OTL is still and L). In that stretch they have 229 goals for and 222 goals against.

Look at it that way and the Leafs are neither good nor bad. They are average.

Consider they have 94 pts on the past 81 games that makes them scratching into the playoffs by the skin of their teeth.

Finally, I don't think even the most optimistic Leaf fan would argue this team has won more than a handful of games based on their smoking hot goalie tandem. Their team defense, turn overs, shot against, and PK are not performing the way they should for a winning team.

All things considered, I'd at the Leafs are at best an average NHL who have been lucky on the backs of their goalies. Not just this season, but over the past full season worth of game. And don't forget, if you look past over the last 100 games, these Maple Leafs are a we'll below .500 team. Improving, slightly below average, and super hot goaltending.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2013 :  05:39:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest8126

Between last season and this season the Leafs have played 81 games. Virtually a full season. They are 42-29-10 over the last 81 games, a killer 3 games over .500 (don't argue with me, OTL is still and L). In that stretch they have 229 goals for and 222 goals against.

Look at it that way and the Leafs are neither good nor bad. They are average.

Consider they have 94 pts on the past 81 games that makes them scratching into the playoffs by the skin of their teeth.

Finally, I don't think even the most optimistic Leaf fan would argue this team has won more than a handful of games based on their smoking hot goalie tandem. Their team defense, turn overs, shot against, and PK are not performing the way they should for a winning team.

All things considered, I'd at the Leafs are at best an average NHL who have been lucky on the backs of their goalies. Not just this season, but over the past full season worth of game. And don't forget, if you look past over the last 100 games, these Maple Leafs are a we'll below .500 team. Improving, slightly below average, and super hot goaltending.

I see.
So they rode into the playoffs last year on super-hot goaltending? Or was there much better defence, as most professional hockey commentators noted?

Think carefully now.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2013 :  10:52:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
guest 8468.........

some of the points u made are 100 % valid and I`ve been making some of those points myself for awhile about the leafs.

At center ice is their big weakness. They haven`t a 1st line center. BUT, with a healthy Bolland.... they just need that I horse at center, that's all they need......NEW 1st line center......then 2nd line Bolland......Bozak for 3rd........( Kadri and J. Mc in the mix )....then center ice is fine.

Ay D they need more depth, more experience, that's for sure.

Time to move C. Gunn and bring in a real Defensive ( d-man ) an in ur face tough SOB..........some more tinkering is also needed at D.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page