Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Western Conference - Pacific Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Arizona / Phoenix
 Is it time? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2016 :  12:58:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That we start talking about Sam Gagner again? Lol.

17 points in 23 games (17 in last 20)!

Beans....Slozo? Old school debate???

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2016 :  13:45:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats a blast from the past. Often wondered if he would ever surface again. Anyone watch him play? Could never figure out why he didn't do well after the trade away from the Oilers and even in Edmonton, why he couldn't catch fire long term.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2016 :  10:13:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was totally going to look it up again, lol . . . agree that it should be opened up! Absolutely. I've got no wounds from that old debate, so you can pour as much salt into this discussion as you like

26gp - 12 goals 9 assists 21 points

It's already a decent sample size worth looking at, and what can you say . . . he's been great for Columbus - which has surprised just as much after an initial poor start.

I honestly think this is just a magical offensive run for the Jackets, and they will come swiftly down to earth by the end of it, probably falling out of the playoffs. But that opinion may have to get reevaluated if they keep winning obviously.

Sam Gagner has shown to be amazing in stretches as we've covered before as well. Gagner had (if memory serves correct) an even longer 40ish game stretch of statistical dominance, basically started by his 8 point night. But that later disappeared and he eventually went into the minors.

Who knows? Maybe he has reinvented himself down there and become the player that he was supposed to be when drafted by the Oilers 6th overall.

But honestly, I doubt it. Time will tell!

Don't Leaf me hanging, Buds!
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2016 :  13:34:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I recall that debate it was more of a Gagner vs. Kadri who is and/or will be the better player. Gagner bounced around a lot in the past few years getting traded from Edmonton to Florida and then immediately to Phoenix. He didn't play very well in Phoenix and ended up in Philly where I think he actually got bought out. Now, obviously he has found a home in CBJ who has quietly built a pretty good hockey team. Look at that group on paper and their winning is not surprising. A very good goalie, solid defense, and a nice mix of veteran and young forwards. I am not sure you will see the team fall off. I think they just came together. I can see them doing quiet well.

But much like Slozo, I don't recall to many wounds from that debate either. Not enough to drub anything up that's for sure. Gagner was a product of a very bad stretch of Oilers management where he was put into a situation where he had to be an every day NHL player at a very young age. One has to remember he is just 27 yrs old and has more than 600 games and 9 NHL seasons under his belt. He has been, both over all and in most season, a 1/2 a pt a game player. That's a decent 2nd line centre from an offensive standpoint. Good to see him catch on in CBJ.

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2016 :  09:31:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Couldn't honestly recall the debate or whether it was even one between you two but thought it was funny when I noticed him being picked up in hockey pools I'm in! I'm like "he's still alive?".

I too think CBJ is the real deal. Maybe not a bonifide contender, but a playoff team, likely. They've got good balance, a few surprises and a few guys who were bound to be good when finally given the ice time necessary. With Werenski and Jones, their D is pretty good in front of a good goalie. I'm more surprised at the offense they've put up to this point, currently sitting 6th in GF however, with games in hand on all those teams in front of them! If they average 3 goals a game thru those games in hand, they'd be in the top 3 in the league for GF!
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page