Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Western Conference - Pacific Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Arizona / Phoenix
 Shane Doan . . . Will He Stay or Will He Go? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2012 :  08:05:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Quite simply, will Shane Doan remain with the Phoenix Coyotes, or will he sign with a new team? And if he goes . . . what will his destination be?

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug

Choices:

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2012 :  08:07:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please note that I compiled this list off the reported dozen or so teams that had shown interest/inquired with Doan's agent. I left the Rangers off the list, since they acquired Nash and clearly won't be after Doan now.

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2012 :  12:12:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't agree that Doan is off of the Rangers radar because they picked up Nash. In fact, I would think that adding Doan would be great because they picked up Nash. I think that would automatically give one of the top defensive teams in the league the best group of top 6 forwards in the NHL as well.

The issue with Doan is the money he is looking for. It is reported that he is looking for a 4 yr deal in the range of $30 million. C'mon! Granted the guy is not 35 yet so a team could do a front loaded deal and buy out the last year, but still. He is on the decline and is far closer to a 50 pt player than a 70 pt player. $7.5 million a season is far too much for Doan. And I don't get all this leadership stuff the media talks about. He hasn't lead a team to winning anything in his NHL career. He might have longevity and has been loyal to the Phoenix franchise, but leadership??

Someone is going to seriously overpay for this guy and I don't think he will be in Phoenix next season. Maybe Vancouver??

Daniel Alfredsson is the MVP of the universe. All hail the Ottawa Senators!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Guest4178
( )

Posted - 07/30/2012 :  12:57:21  Reply with Quote
I know it's early but with Montreal in the early lead (in this poll) is a bit surprising.

I can't help but think that Doan still remembers the criticisms which were levied against him by French politicians five years ago, criticisms that he should not represent Team Canada as its captain during the World Hockey Championships. These criticisms which suggested that he uttered an anti-French slur at a francophone referee (Stephane Auger), for which Doan was completely exonerated by the NHL.

This wasn't enough for some francophone politicians, who wanted him ousted as captain of Team Canada.

These criticisms came from Bloc Quebecois leader Gille Duceppe, but also, from Liberal Leader (at the time) Stephane Dion, and former minister of National Sport, Denis Coderre.

Pretty ugly and off the mark criticisms which were really only politically motivated.

While Doan may not carry a grudge, I tend to think he has a lot of options where he wants to play, and my belief is that Montreal will not be in the running.

Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2012 :  22:11:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

The issue with Doan is the money he is looking for. It is reported that he is looking for a 4 yr deal in the range of $30 million. C'mon! Granted the guy is not 35 yet so a team could do a front loaded deal and buy out the last year, but still. He is on the decline and is far closer to a 50 pt player than a 70 pt player. $7.5 million a season is far too much for Doan. And I don't get all this leadership stuff the media talks about. He hasn't lead a team to winning anything in his NHL career. He might have longevity and has been loyal to the Phoenix franchise, but leadership??

Shane Doan is currently 35 years old, which means that his next contract will be a 35+ deal - so no front-loaded-buy-out-the-back-end deals for Doan. It makes the prospect of signing him daunting.

The only article I read about this was on the heels of a report that an Eastern team had made a 4yr/30M offer (I'm betting MTL) - however he did not take it yet, and it was reported that he doesn't want to go to an eastern team. That being said, his agent will surely try to get the same from a western team. But if no western team offers it, it will be interesting to see if he chases the money.

I desperately want Doan on the Canucks next year, but not at a cap hit of 7.5M until he's 40.

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2012 :  22:45:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought i recalled that Buffalo was the rumoured team to have offered that insane 7.5 per year deal? Then again, it was a rumour? Not sure if it ever was proven to be them but that's what i recall hearing/reading?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2012 :  04:40:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not so sure it was Montreal that offered that deal, but nothing would surprise me. My guess is that it was the Rangers, before the Nash deal.

And I agree about Doan not going to Montreal, remembering the background to that francophone slur thing . . . you know Doan would remember that for sure.

As a Leaf fan, the longer this plays out, the more I feel Burke might make a play for Doan. If Doan would ever want to come to the big smoke is an entirely different matter . . . but he should really wake up to the fact that an enormous opportunity for endorsements, etc awaits him if he signs with Toronto or Winnipeg especially, and a bit less so with Vancouver (because they are stacked with stars already) and Montreal. He really shouldn't lose sight of that.

Putting aside my selfish Leaf feelings . . . I would absolutely love to see Doan on Winnipeg. I think he'd be an absolutely perfect fit, and would be totally embraced by that franchise. And he's exactly what they need!

Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2012 :  08:56:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

I am not so sure it was Montreal that offered that deal, but nothing would surprise me. My guess is that it was the Rangers, before the Nash deal.

And I agree about Doan not going to Montreal, remembering the background to that francophone slur thing . . . you know Doan would remember that for sure.

As a Leaf fan, the longer this plays out, the more I feel Burke might make a play for Doan. If Doan would ever want to come to the big smoke is an entirely different matter . . . but he should really wake up to the fact that an enormous opportunity for endorsements, etc awaits him if he signs with Toronto or Winnipeg especially, and a bit less so with Vancouver (because they are stacked with stars already) and Montreal. He really shouldn't lose sight of that.

Putting aside my selfish Leaf feelings . . . I would absolutely love to see Doan on Winnipeg. I think he'd be an absolutely perfect fit, and would be totally embraced by that franchise. And he's exactly what they need!

Unfortunatly, thats probably not what Shane Doan needs.He's either going to end his career in PHX, or he's going to chase a cup, I can't see any other outcome for him (except an outside chance of going home to AB). He's got 4 years left in his career, this is his last deal and therefore his last chance at the one big thing missing.

I also don't think Doan is the type to chase endorsement money - honestly, if that was important to him, he's had other chances to move to a big hockey market. From what I know of him (via various interviews, appearances, articles), he's a pretty simple guy - likes horses, farming and the outdoors, humble family guy, strongly religious. Making buckets more money, on top of the buckets he's already made, doesn't seem like him.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4178
( )

Posted - 07/31/2012 :  12:17:36  Reply with Quote
Do big markets like Toronto and New York really offer enormous opportunities for endorsement money? I remember a similar comment being made when the discussion was about where Justin Schultz was going to play a month ago. (And he chose Edmonton.)

I really don't think this is a factor when a player like Shane Doan (or Justine Schultz) is making a decision on where he wants to play. How much additional endorsement money is out there for NHL players?

Sure – guys like Sidney Crosby and Alexander Ovechkin have huge endorsement deals. I'm guessing around $1 million a year? But take a mid-level star (whatever that means) like Phil Kessel who plays in Toronto. What kind of money does Kessel earn with endorsements? Maybe low six figures?

What kind of extra endorsement money does Kessel earn by playing in Toronto, as opposed to Boston? Or opposed to a market like Edmonton or Winnipeg?

I don't think this really registers in the decision-making of most NHL players who have options on where they want to play. Even for the big stars who make big endorsement money. For the big stars, they're marketed beyond the boundaries of their own team or market. Crosby, for example, makes huge endorsement money because of his game-wide presence. Where he plays makes little difference. (But it does help that he plays in the U.S.)

Whatever extra endorsement money which may be out there probably pales in comparison to contract amounts. If Doan can score a $30 million 4-year deal somewhere, I don't think he (or his agent) are considering "big market endorsement money" in their decision-making. If Doan makes $100k a year in endorsement money, I would be surprised. And if Toronto (or any other market) gives his the opportunity to make twice this amount, I would be similarly surprised.

But I don't know what mid-level star players make in endorsements. A player in Doan or Kessel's category. Maybe I would be surprised.

Does anyone know?
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2012 :  14:28:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think this is a bit off topic. However, very quickly, where the player is does not create the big dollar endorsement deals. The big money goes to the big name players regardless of where they play.

I did find a comment on-line that stated Crosby makes about $2.2 million a year in endorsements and that NHL players are the lowest of the 4 major sports when it comes to non-salary related income.

As far the the smaller guys, there is something to be said about playing in a hockey market (regardless of size) rather than a non-hockey market. I would bet that Doan would get a number of local endorsement deals in a place line Winnipeg compared to Phoenix.

Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2012 :  15:30:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
As far the the smaller guys, there is something to be said about playing in a hockey market (regardless of size) rather than a non-hockey market. I would bet that Doan would get a number of local endorsement deals in a place line Winnipeg compared to Phoenix.

I agree - for hockey, I think its a combination of the right player in the right market. The chance for endorsement deals somewhere like TOR/MTL/NY would be higher than other cities, and for the right player significantly higher. Crosby is making 2.2M a year in deals (I saw the same number in another article) in PIT, but what could he theoretically make somewhere like TOR or MTL? The biggest Canadian star playing in the biggest Canadian hockey market, the sky is the limit.

According to other articles I read, OV is actually the most marketable hockey player in the world, and makes 3-5M a year in endorsement money - the bulk of it in Russian "advertising contracts". He also has long term deals with Bauer and Nike.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4377
( )

Posted - 07/31/2012 :  19:28:53  Reply with Quote
I suspect Doan's decision on where he wants to play will come down to contract length, total contract value, what city he wants to play, stability of franchise, and most likely, a team that has a chance to compete for the cup.

He may even want to play in the east, which despite the fact that air travel is vastly improved for NHL teams, the air miles for eastern teams is quite a bit lower than western teams. But I suspect this is down on his list on factors guiding his decision.

And I really doubt that endorsement dollars in a given market will guide his decision at all. I can't ever remember this being mentioned as a factor in where a player wants to play.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2012 :  06:10:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But thye thing is, we already approximately know Doan's asking price, so whoever bids for him it'll be about the same. At that point, the couple of million here or there might make a bit of difference.

But more than that, MUCH more, is the cache / importance of being THE MAN, being the king of the city, etc. If you want fame with your fortune, it's in Winnipeg, is all I am really saying. They really love their hockey.

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2012 :  07:28:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For a guy who has shown his loyalty to a hockey team playing in a desert, I really don't think being the man in town has anything to do with Doan's wants. His first want appears to be a swan song contract that will set him up for the rest of his life. I would strongly suggest the 2nd thing is a legit crack at the Cup. I think NY is still on the radar. According to Cap geek they still have $12 million of cap space. I would also suggest Vancouver if they ever move Luongo, and I am thinking the San Jose might be in the mix as well. And although they do not have the cap space today, something tells me a good old Alberta boy would fit in well with Jarome in Cowtown.

I don't see Winnipeg, but I have been wrong before. Not often, but it does happen.

Go to Top of Page

Guest6404
( )

Posted - 08/01/2012 :  14:32:20  Reply with Quote
i don't understand why its such a necessity for him to stay in the west. just looking at possible suitors the east make way more sense.

i think the flyers and rangers push hard for him and if it doesn't work the canucks dump luongo for next to nothing and get Doan.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4178
( )

Posted - 08/01/2012 :  14:32:53  Reply with Quote
I don't think Shane Doan has the opportunity to earn a couple million (or more) dollars in endorsements by playing in one market over another. I agree with Beans – NHL players make peanuts compared to players in the other major sports. And players who are not absolute superstars in the NHL do not make a lot of money in endorsements.

As far as being "the man," I don't think Doan is of that character. I think he probably likes being in a city where hockey is not up there with football, basketball or baseball. I think a lot of players actually prefer being in markets where they are not bombarded by fans all the time.

It's one of the reasons Mike Comrie left Edmonton. Sure he came back to play in Edmonton later in his career, but he had other reasons for doing so, and he did so at an age where he was more prepared to deal with the fame and attention.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4178
( )

Posted - 08/01/2012 :  14:37:52  Reply with Quote
Getting back to the topic at hand, I think Doan is most likely to stay in Phoenix. As long as he is given some confidence (not sure how really) that the team will not fold or move.

And that Phoenix will pay to keep him. I think he's a big face on the team, so to lose him will have some impact on fan support.
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2012 :  21:26:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

For a guy who has shown his loyalty to a hockey team playing in a desert, I really don't think being the man in town has anything to do with Doan's wants. His first want appears to be a swan song contract that will set him up for the rest of his life. I would strongly suggest the 2nd thing is a legit crack at the Cup. I think NY is still on the radar. According to Cap geek they still have $12 million of cap space. I would also suggest Vancouver if they ever move Luongo, and I am thinking the San Jose might be in the mix as well. And although they do not have the cap space today, something tells me a good old Alberta boy would fit in well with Jarome in Cowtown.

I don't see Winnipeg, but I have been wrong before. Not often, but it does happen.

I hadn't thought about Calgary but they seem to like throwing big money at ageing players, plus the Flames do need more than one top six forward,, Iginla Doan Cammalleri would make a decent top line

Hello, 911? It's an emergency, my teddy bear's been kidnapped!
[pause] Hello? Hello?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page