Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Sidney Crosby's 07/08 Point Total Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2007 :  19:15:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
What is your prediction for Crosby's point total this season?

Choices:

Less than 100 points
100 to 110 points
111 to 120 points
121 to 130 points
131 to 140 points
141 to 150 points
151 to 160 points
More than 160 points

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2007 :  19:45:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I voted 141-150 points because he's had a very slow start (in reality his linemates, Whitney and Gonchar have had slow starts, but I digress), and he still has 9 points in 7 games. Over the course of a season, that still puts him at about 105-110 (unless my mental math is off). But he'll do much better than that.

Once some of those other guys break out of their slumps, and some of the goals start going in, he'll average close to 2 points a game the rest of the way, taking him to about 140 or more. If you've watched any Pens games (I have not missed one yet - have I mentioned that?), you'll have noticed that there were a few games where he could have had 5 points if he had any kind of help whatsoever. Plus, the Pens have had no momentum - the worst schedule in the NHL. They've already had a stretch where they only played 2 games in 10 days. Anyone who plays hockey knows that building a flow is important. Players want to play every second night with the odd two nights off. That's ideal. No one wants to be off for 5 bloomin' days of practice.

Another key point - I don't think he'll be playing with Recchi the whole season. His hands are more or less completely gone at this point, and I'm not sure he can ever get them back.

Yes, I analyze this stuff a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2007 :  20:16:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fly, I can appreciate your man crush on Crosby, but I can't see him getting much more than 125 without a partner in crime. He need's a guy to finish(or set up) like Kurri did for Gretzky or Jagr did for Lemieux.

You said it yourself, I think his support isn't bad, but he doesn't have that guy with hands that will finish. If he did have that guy, I could see 140+, but not on his own. There is too much focus on him that he just can't do more than 125 on his own.

Don't get me wrong, 125 with a microscope on you every night is pretty special in it's own right.

If you are under the age of 15, please do some research before you make a post about anything pre-1997.
Go to Top of Page

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2007 :  20:16:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As you may have guessed, I am asking this question with the Gretzky-Crosby discussion in mind. Gretzky went up to 164 in his 3rd year. Playing with better players and in a more offensive time and so on certainly is worth something, but I'm wondering just how much it should be valued at. Of course it's impossible to say, but perhaps fun to think about it. What do you think 145 points on the 2007-2008 Pens translates into on the 1980-81 Oilers? Would you value the 80s Oiler factor at a point a game for example? I'd probably put it at about two points every three games, in the mid 80s anyway - maybe a little less in 1980-1981. That would convert a 145 point season into close to 200.

Should be very interesting to see how Sid does this year and in the next couple of years when presumably the Pens will improve along with him.

Anyway, it may be cool to look back on our predictions at the end of the year, so please give a little post with your prediction. Edit - My prediction is 131 to 140.

Oh yeah, I'm also asking the question for one other reason. Even close Game 7s in baseball are not all THAT exciting!

Edited by - andyhack on 10/21/2007 20:31:21
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2007 :  20:38:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I am doing the math right, in 80-81 (Gretzky's 164 points) the average GPG in the NHL was 7.68. Last year is was 5.89. A difference of 1.79. You're pretty much dead on Andy.

Also, Gretzky did that with the next closes guy on his team getting 75 points and 11 total player with more than 30 points. Crosby had 120 points last year with the next closest at 85 points and 10 guys with 30 points or more.

That's a pretty close comparison. When you think about the difference in Era's, Crosby's 120 is more than likely about 150.

How about Gretzky's 21 points (7G, 14A) in 9 playoff games that year. 9 Games!! Alfredsson, Heatley, and Spezza all had 22 points last year, in 20 games!!!

Wow

If you are under the age of 15, please do some research before you make a post about anything pre-1997.

Edited by - Beans15 on 10/21/2007 20:43:32
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2007 :  21:38:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got him in the 130 - 140 range.
But like has been mentioned, he needs a finisher.

"You are not your desktop wallpaper"
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  00:35:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
98 points.
Go to Top of Page

nashvillepreds
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1053 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  04:52:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Somewhere around 115 points, he's not doing so well right now. It's really too early to tell...

GO PREDATORS GO
Go to Top of Page

PuckNuts
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2414 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  05:30:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With the added pressure of the capataincy put on his shoulders he will only get 130 points. That is still not a bad season.

They should have waited a couple of seasons before giving him the C. I do not think he would have been upset if a player like Roberts had it for a year or two.

I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
- - Marshall McLuhan

Edited by - PuckNuts on 10/22/2007 17:55:58
Go to Top of Page

Guest9998
( )

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  06:07:39  Reply with Quote
I'm beginning to wonder if the Gretzky vs. Anyone debate will ever die. Probably not.....oh well. Here is some food for thought for Andyhack and Beans 15. It's apparent you both know a lot about hockey, and it's equally apparent that you both spend a lot of time thinking about the game. However, I do find your logic to be somewhat faulted with regard to the comparison of players over different eras. At first glance it may seem quite logical to view statistical production over different eras in the light of GPG average. Unfortunately, this is not without it's own complications. What this "equation" does not seem to account for is the presence of certain players in the league during that era that helped to produce the GPG data in the first place. The presence of players such as Gretzky, Lemieux, Stastny, Coffey, Bourque, Hawerchuk, Bossy, Messier, Francis........and the list really does go on and on. These were very special players and they had a very special impact on the game of hockey. The 80s and 90s (midway) was a time that the NHL was filled with elite superstars.

Sidney Crosby. Absolutely gifted. Isn't he? Let's not forget though that he never played in the NHL pre - Lockout. He plays in a post-Lockout era. An era in which, I believe, offense again has been given opportunity to flourish. As far as the fewer GPG stat is concerned, well, perhaps the players are not as great today. Or, another thought, perhaps we simply need to alott more time for the players to adjust. After all, they just got done playing defensive hockey for close to a decade. It may take some time for them to get their offensive awareness back. I am confident (as long as the NHL doesn't screw with the rules too much) that the game is heading in the direction that will give Sidney Crosby every opportunity to do what he is able to.
Go to Top of Page

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  06:57:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Guest 9998. One last post before burying myself in some work. I'm not sure if you read the Gretzky-Crosby thread in the History section, but that's kind of what triggered this question for me (and being somewhat bored watching one foul ball after the other go into the stands last night). Anyway, the comparison is just for fun, and if we are dealing with a "phenom" in Crosby, it seems natural to compare the two guys.

That thread essentially both asked us to forecast Crosby's actual future, and to imagine how he would have done in the '80s (which eventually became a discussion on how he would have done in the '80s on the Oilers). So this thread is really just an extension of the "forecast" part of that thread. Will Sid go up in points in his third year the way Wayne did? If so, by how much?

The second "comparing to the '80s" part, is just a fun hockey history thing. I have no idea what formula, if any, is appropriate, but given the Denis Maruks and other stories of that era, I do feel some adjusment is necessary when comparing point totals between now and the '80s (though your point about things returning to offensive hockey is understood - I just think it is still quite different from the offensive hockey of the '80s). Also, we were talking about Crosby on the Oilers of that period - see the good points by flyforapuckguy in that regard on the other thread.

What's the formula? Of course, there is no formula. I think Beans was just throwing that out as an interesting statistic to consider in the discussion. And my "two points in every three games" thing is just a gut instinct guess. I don't think I would really strongly disagree with someone who says, "hold it guys, you are way overvaluing the 80s hockey/being on the Oilers thing", but if someone says that there should be no adjustment whatsoever or just a nominal adjustment of something like 10 points, I would certainly question that.

Edited by - andyhack on 10/22/2007 07:06:45
Go to Top of Page

Guest9537
( )

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  12:38:53  Reply with Quote
You forgot the most important answer to this poll....who gives a crap.

To be fair I put him down for 100-110, but in all honesty he isn't the best player in the game right now, people just make him out to be. What about how many points Zetterberg is getting? Will Stastny keep his pace? Will Heatley make it 3 straight season of 50 goals? Will Iginla crack 100pts this year like he could have last year if he wasn't limited to 70 games?

Haven't enough people jerked off Crosby yet? (Pardon my language)
Do you believe TSN or CBC (can't remember which) had a poll on this and an option was over 200 points?!?!?! If that ever happened I would gladly kiss crosby on the butt cheeks and let him sleep with my hot girlfriend (sorry babe). If he even knows what to do with her.

Nuff said. Peace out.
Go to Top of Page

nashvillepreds
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1053 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  13:44:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry but I have to disagree, Crosby is definitely one of the best in the game. Zetterberg has prooved he cannot keep this pace up and Stastny, maybe can keep close to the pace he's at now. Crosby will only get better as the season goes on, he's just off to a slower start.

Crosby actually isn't doing that badly, everybody just expects him to get 2 points evey game. I think he's averaging like 1.4 points per game right now.

GO PREDATORS GO
Go to Top of Page

Guest9537
( )

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  14:19:52  Reply with Quote
Sure Crosby is one of the leagues top players, never said he wasn't....but by no means is he hands down the best.

And how has Zetterberg proved he can't keep his pace? He has had a point in every game so far this season. What has he done to slow his pace? 17 points in 9 games to lead the league so far isn't good enough?
Go to Top of Page

nashvillepreds
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1053 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  14:21:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok that's fine for now. he's on pace fo about 160 points this season do you honestly think he's going to have that much. Hasn't Crosby had a point in every game but one this season anyway?

GO PREDATORS GO
Go to Top of Page

Guest9537
( )

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  14:25:13  Reply with Quote
Correction...Zetts has AT LEAST a point in every game this year.

And I don't expect Crosby to get 2 points per game...I think he is doing as expected thus far for me.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9537
( )

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  14:31:27  Reply with Quote
Well no, I don't expect anyone to get over 160 points this year.

My point is simply that...who cares what Crosby gets at the end of the year. I even voted him for 100+ points but there should be some more focus on OTHER players who are doing better and are better players right now than Crosby. Like the Zetterbergs, Heatleys, Stastnys and Iginlas of the world.

I'm not knocking the boy wonder...(the fan club are sure quick to think every non positive thing said about Crosby is an attack on him or something...geez)...I just would like to see and hear more peoples thoughts on other players around the league. You know...the 600 or so that DO exist outside of Sid the kid.
Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2336 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  14:58:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9537

My point is simply that...who cares what Crosby gets at the end of the year. I even voted him for 100+ points but there should be some more focus on OTHER players who are doing better and are better players right now than Crosby. Like the Zetterbergs, Heatleys, Stastnys and Iginlas of the world.

I'm not knocking the boy wonder...(the fan club are sure quick to think every non positive thing said about Crosby is an attack on him or something...geez)...I just would like to see and hear more peoples thoughts on other players around the league. You know...the 600 or so that DO exist outside of Sid the kid.

That is a very good suggestion, please start a thread about one of them and let's keep this thread on topic.
Go to Top of Page

nashvillepreds
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1053 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  15:01:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Actually first of all, I completely hate Crosby. I think he's wines too much and gets over rated. ( kinda sounds a lot like Darcy Tucker)

Frankly though, he will get more points than Zetterberg. We should make a new thread about this. join the website if your haven't already and will talk about this some more.

GO PREDATORS GO
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  16:44:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, so much to say!

1) If you don't care about how many points Crosby will get, then don't post in this thread. That was easy.

2) I agree that there is no good way to compare different eras in hockey. It's just a best guess. I have posted many times in opposition of it, however, it has some relevance. I just think that 90% of the time that people bring up the different era thing it's to discredit Gretzky's stats. That being said, A great example is Jagr averaging 99 points a year over the past 15. That was the lowest scoring era in hockey. Clutch and grab, huge goalie equipment, trap systems ect. It's hard to not think if what those numbers would have been in the 80's.

3) Crosby to average 2 PPG for the rest of the year would be a bigger accomplishment than I think anyone is considering. When you consider the fact that only 2 players in modern hockey(Post '78) have scored more than 160 points in a season (Gretzky and Lemiuex), it a rare feat to say the least. I'm not saying it can't happen, but I am not holding my breath. I would be beyond impressed if it happens. There may have been other players to average 2 PPG, but not over an 80 or 82 game season.

4) Crosby gets more attention from the media than every other player in the league. I don't agree with it either, but if you don't like it, change the station. If you remote is broken, get your "hot girlfriend" to change it for you. And get her to grab you a beer while she's up.

Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  17:23:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guest...there were great players in the 80's, but don't discount today's stars. I love my old time hockey, but guys like Lecavalier, Iginla, and Thornton and Ovechkin would not have looked out of place with the Peter Stastnys, Dale Hawerchuks, Messiers and Bossys of the 70's/80's. I may agree with you on the offensive defenceman point, though. There are no Coffey/Bourques in the league right now.

Crosby is by far the best player in the league. Find three hockey experts (and I mean experts, not some hack broadcasting for FSN Atlanta) that disagrees with me and I'll buy you a Coke. I think we can put that one to bed right now.

I do have a man crush on the Kid, because I believe with full confidence he is the true Next One. Canada 2010 - gold medal baby!

Crosby has a weak supporting cast - this will keep him from immortal numbers this or any year until that situation is solved. People will throw the Malkin/Staal thing out there. Malkin and Staal are no Messier Kurri, people. MAYBE in a few years - not even close now.

Last, Crosby does not whine anymore than the next guy. That is a media-created notion that people follow like sheep. Watch a game, not a highlight reel.

Go to Top of Page

nashvillepreds
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1053 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  17:40:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never said that Crosby will get 2 points per game. I just said that he was more likely to get 160 points than Zetterberg is. Can anybody not agree with that?

GO PREDATORS GO
Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  17:44:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with you. Zetterberg will amaze me if he gets 100 points. The guy gets hurt a lot. In the two full seasons he did play (at least close to full seasons), his highest total was 85. I think he could score 100 in a complete season, but that won't likely happen.

I believe Sid could still come close to averaging 2 points a game, despite his average start (for him). He was on pace for close to that last year until he broke a bone in his foot and struggled for the last month of the season.

Edited by - fly4apuckguy on 10/22/2007 17:46:52
Go to Top of Page

Leafs Rock Planet
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  18:39:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Zetterberg is playing phenomenal right now. I have him in a couple of my pools and he is really carrying my team. I would not be surprised if Crosby is not at the top of the points list at the end of the year. 111-120 is about right when it comes to Crosby's point total. Zetterberg might even be up there too if he stays at the pace he is at.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  21:02:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are about 10 guys in the league that can win the Art Ross. I would say Lecavalier, Heatley, Thornton, Jagr, Ovechkin, Iginla, Gaborik, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, and of course Crosby.

The keys are health(most importantly), team streaks, and playing partners.

In the end, a health Crosby will be the smart money for the Art Ross for years to come.

Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  21:13:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For the 131 of you (to date) that have said Crosby will score fewer than 100 points, I ask you this:

a) Do you have some insight into an undisclosed season-ending injury that he will soon incur?

and/or

b) Do you prefer crack, or heroin?

Oh settle down, I'm just kidding. I do think you people are nuts, though.

The Crosby/Zetterberg thing reminds me of the arguments back in the day when people would say things like, "Do you think Bernie Federko will give Gretzky a run for the scoring championship this year? 'Cause I think he's gonna have a great season with the Blues!"

With all due respect, someday your Zetterberg prediction will sound equally as silly.

Edited by - fly4apuckguy on 10/22/2007 21:17:01
Go to Top of Page

Guest9537
( )

Posted - 10/23/2007 :  07:11:57  Reply with Quote
My apologies on getting "off topic" but sometimes you feel a need to defend your comments and it can often veer things off tangent...I'm sure it happens to everyone. To be fair, even though I don't care what Crosby finishes the year off with, I'm a fan of HOCKEY and I did take part in the poll to contribute to it's accuracy and gave an honest answer of 100-110 (not trying to low ball Sid).

As for the Zetts vs Crosby debate, someone should make a poll on that. I can't join because I use a shared comp that restricts me from creating accounts...not trying to hide behind the "Guest" label. I would take that bet...if Zetterberg played a full year he'll finish with more points than Crosby this season. Let's just hope I remember about this come seasons end haha
Go to Top of Page

Guest2815
( )

Posted - 10/23/2007 :  10:08:41  Reply with Quote
ok i voted for the 131-140 range because crosby is getting much better last year he score 120 points with barely no help in his sophomore season with nothing but rookies and now that they have made the playoffs and have more confidence i think he can do it and u ppl keep saying he does not have the help gretsky and lemieuz had r u not thinking of gary roberts? or armstrong? or gonchar who is getting very good ok these guys arent the likes of jagr but they r m orethan good enough to help crosby score 140points
Go to Top of Page

nashvillepreds
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1053 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2007 :  15:41:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

My apologies on getting "off topic" but sometimes you feel a need to defend your comments and it can often veer things off tangent...I'm sure it happens to everyone. To be fair, even though I don't care what Crosby finishes the year off with, I'm a fan of HOCKEY and I did take part in the poll to contribute to it's accuracy and gave an honest answer of 100-110 (not trying to low ball Sid).

As for the Zetts vs Crosby debate, someone should make a poll on that. I can't join because I use a shared comp that restricts me from creating accounts...not trying to hide behind the "Guest" label. I would take that bet...if Zetterberg played a full year he'll finish with more points than Crosby this season. Let's just hope I remember about this come seasons end haha

I'm making this poll as we speak.

GO PREDATORS GO
Go to Top of Page

Guest7760
( )

Posted - 10/23/2007 :  15:55:11  Reply with Quote
he's too good to get than the 120 point mark he set last year, but he doesn't have a decent linemate or the ability to get even 140 yet, but wierder things have happened
Go to Top of Page

nashvillepreds
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1053 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2007 :  17:34:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest7760

he's too good to get than the 120 point mark he set last year, but he doesn't have a decent linemate or the ability to get even 140 yet, but wierder things have happened

weirder things like....

GO PREDATORS GO

Edited by - nashvillepreds on 10/23/2007 17:34:53
Go to Top of Page

nashvillepreds
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1053 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2007 :  17:43:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope that the Penguins will realize that Crosby needs a better finisher than Mark Reechi or whioever he's pared with.

Getting Larauque was only the first step in getting Crosby to be even better and help the pens franchise get another stanley cup without Mario's help on the ice. The Penguins organization has to trade a couple of players so that they can get a top scorer in return.

I wouldn't be surprised to see people like Jordan Staal thrown into the mix, if it means getting somebody like Kovalchuk (maybe not somebody that good).

bottom line is, for Crosby to even have a shot at 160 points he needs a good finisher, like a couple people have alreay mentioned to get him those extra needed points.

Why can't they just put Malkin on Crosby's line? I guess they want to balance their attack.

GO PREDATORS GO

Edited by - nashvillepreds on 10/23/2007 17:44:04
Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2007 :  18:36:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nashvillepreds

I hope that the Penguins will realize that Crosby needs a better finisher than Mark Reechi or whioever he's pared with.

Getting Larauque was only the first step in getting Crosby to be even better and help the pens franchise get another stanley cup without Mario's help on the ice. The Penguins organization has to trade a couple of players so that they can get a top scorer in return.

I wouldn't be surprised to see people like Jordan Staal thrown into the mix, if it means getting somebody like Kovalchuk (maybe not somebody that good).

bottom line is, for Crosby to even have a shot at 160 points he needs a good finisher, like a couple people have alreay mentioned to get him those extra needed points.

Why can't they just put Malkin on Crosby's line? I guess they want to balance their attack.

GO PREDATORS GO

A couple of things...Malkin is not a huge finisher either (like Sid). They really don't mesh well.

Recchi is done. Watching tonight's game, time after time he fanned on the pucked, missed a pass, whatever. It was screw up after screw up. Someimtes watching a good old veteran disintegrate is painful. Rex was a great player for a long time, but his time has passed.

Staal for Kovalchuk? Not a great deal long-term, but if they don't do something to get the kid some help on the wings, I might become a believer.
Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2007 :  16:21:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just doing my daily check-in...260 people now thinking Crosby will get fewer than 100 points this year.

I don't get this at all. Will one of you people please state a reason for your thinking (or lack thereof)? Because unless he gets injured (and he's been very durable to date), I don't see how it is possible you think a budding superstar..no...mega-superstar will actually go down 30 points from last season.

Don't just vote and hide...be brave and explain your reasoning. I'm curious as to why someone would think this!
Go to Top of Page

nashvillepreds
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1053 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2007 :  16:26:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with you Fly, why would Crosby only get like 90 points? He's in a bit of a slump right now, only averaging a point per game which some people consider horribel for him. He will pick it up and get more than 100 points this season for sure.

GO PREDATORS GO
Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2007 :  17:13:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You got it, nash.

Yeah, he's in a bit of a slump (like I said, more his teammates' slump than his), but you watch...when he starts scoring, they'll come in bunches. He's been kind of a streaky scorer in his first two years.

If he has a 4 point game against Toronto tomorrow, he'll be at 14 points in 9 games. If he gets 6 points against Montreal on Saturday, he'll be at 20 points in 10 games. Then, if he gets 2 ponts against Minnesota next Tuesday, he'll be at 22 points in 11 games.

Think it's impossible? He had a three game stretch like that last year. He also has a stretch where he scored 23 points in 10 games. Don't think he can't or won't do it again at some point soon, people.

Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2007 :  17:19:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fly4apuckguy

Just doing my daily check-in...260 people now thinking Crosby will get fewer than 100 points this year.

260?? Geez guys, what planet are you on? Crosby's gotten over 100 points his first two years, and he's certainly got what it takes to do it again.

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2007 :  17:21:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, and one more thing most people don't know or realize. Crosby is averaging less than 20 minutes of ice time per game right now. That is idiotic, considering Zetterberg has been up around 23-25 the past few games. Every first liner in the league is well over 20. Even Patrick Kane, a rookie for god's sake, is averaging more ice time than Crosby.

Once Therrien stops drinking and realizes he's got the reigns holding back Seabiscuit there, he'll be more around the 23 minute range, where he should be. That'll help, too.
Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2007 :  17:33:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
267 for under 100 points now. I swear, you people need to justify this response.
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2007 :  17:42:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh, and one more thing most people don't know or realize. Crosby is averaging less than 20 minutes of ice time per game right now. That is idiotic, considering Zetterberg has been up around 23-25 the past few games. Every first liner in the league is well over 20. Even Patrick Kane, a rookie for god's sake, is averaging more ice time than Crosby.

Once Therrien stops drinking and realizes he's got the reigns holding back Seabiscuit there, he'll be more around the 23 minute range, where he should be. That'll help, too.

So I'm not the only one who thinks Therrien is a meatball?

Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2007 :  19:57:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by willus3

quote:

So I'm not the only one who thinks Therrien is a meatball?

Nope. I don't think he's the worst coach in the league, but he isn't a Jack Adams finalist, that's for sure.

He inherited a pretty special group of young players. I'm not convinced he's guiding them as well as he could. He's very much into rolling four lines, no matter what point of the game, no matter what the score. A few games ago, can't remember which one (might have been against the Devils), the Pens were down a goal with time running out, and in the last minute he was playing Maxime Talbot, Gary Roberts and Colby Armstrong.

Now, I like those guys, but holy crap! You've got the Art Ross Trophy winner/ MVP, the Calder Trophy winner and finalist, and they are sitting on the bench when you need a goal to tie the game!!?!?!?!

That's weak. Guys like Talbot are replaceable. Crosby is not. Neither is Malkin. They are only going to be young superstars once. Talbots are a dime a dozen. If they complain about ice time, switch them out. Gretzky played regular shifts, double shifts, power play, and penalty kills. If you have a pit bull, don't use a bunch of poodles.

I will say this, though...he did bring discipline to the team when they had NONE under Eddie Olzyck. So yes, he was a step up from Edzo.

Edited by - fly4apuckguy on 10/24/2007 19:58:12
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page