Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 backyard rink Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cassey
Top Prospect

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2022 :  04:37:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a question for those experienced in backyard rink building.

Since my yard isn’t dead flat (drops about 8” over 30’) I’ve got a deep end to my rink. Does anyone have a way of keeping water from coming up over the ice around the perimeter of the rink when it’s being used?

I’ve heard people talk about pumping the water out and using that to flood but with it being 8” deep under 4” of ice I’m a bit suspicious.

Any help/advice appreciated!

slozo
Top Prospect

Canada
3 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2022 :  09:32:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know this is an old question, but thought I'd give you my two cents since it's fall and ODR season will soon be returning - and preparations to fix this problem can be made now!

First question is - I'm surprised that a small difference of 8" over 30 feet is enough to have water under the ice at the deep end - you must be in a warmer place, or maybe that deep end is close to your house? That's a problem that can be caused by the latent heat given off by a heated structure - it's amazing the difference even when you simply insulate it with something like brick / stone barrier, and separate yourself from a "warm" wall.

If it's because you're in a warmer part of Canada, only solution is levelling it off. Simply apply dirt te the lower levels to make it even and fill. Will even help a lot if the lowest spot is in the middle, as opposed to the sides - so really just want to build up the side with enough dirt . . . coldest part of an ice cube is the middle, so in general the ice surface will be much less apt to melt right under the the middle part.

Other important technique to increase lifesapan of the ice is protecting from sunlight - it's a killer, and if you can tarp it / shade it in any way will really help.

Additionally, ensure the water is / tarp is clean when it's fill in the beginning - leaf/tree debris really increases melting, they will burn holes in the ice when not as cold. Tough to manage some years but takes work with a leaf blower before initial filling.

Good luck!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page