Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Biggest Goalie Controversy Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2007 :  19:01:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Which is the biggest goaltending question early in the 07/08 NHL season?

Choices:

Gerber vs. Emery
Toskala vs. Raycroft
Huet vs. Price
Fleury vs. Sabourin
Hasek vs. Osgood
Budaj vs. Theodore
Giguere vs. Bryzgalov
Hedberg vs. Lehtonen

Guest9799
( )

Posted - 11/15/2007 :  19:03:24  Reply with Quote
I voted Gerber vs. Emery

The reason is, Gerber and Emery are both capable of being franchise goalies. It was Emery's bad luck that Gerber filled in so well.

The question is, do you go with your traditional starter, who is young and getting better, or do you go with the guy who is solid, and has been immaculate this season.

I wouldn't know what to do. But for the time being at least. Gerber earned his spot.
Go to Top of Page

shinnyafterschool
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
375 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2007 :  19:12:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I chose Peter Budaj vs. Jose Theodore because I am an Avs fan and any goalie controversy would be good news which would mean both would be playing considerably well.
Go to Top of Page

Guest8815
( )

Posted - 11/15/2007 :  19:17:00  Reply with Quote
How about Roli vs. Garon. Right now I think Garon is the better goalie, great pickup by Lowe.

But anyways I say Gerber vs. Emery, Emery was the standout last year (in Ottawa not the league) and Gerber was doing miserable. Now Gerber has come out of training camp and is now leading the league in wins. Meanwhile Emery has just healed up from a injury ready to play. Do you go with the hot pads, or the guy you relied on last year? I say alternate 1-1-1-1 unless someone has an outstanding game or shutout.
Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2007 :  21:18:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Huet - Price.

I think Price is ready for the bigtime. But if I'm wrong, could playing him too much wreck his confidence if things don't go well? I think he'll be a far better goalie than Huet in the long run...so how quickly do you push him along???
Go to Top of Page

MSC
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
601 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2007 :  21:24:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know about everyone else but of all the controversies that surrond a team having to much talent at a position isn't one that would worry me to much.
Go to Top of Page

I HATE CROSBY
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
538 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2007 :  22:10:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That Ottawa situation is a really rough one!
Gerber was supposed to have been #1 last year, but he s*** the bed and Ray came in.....
I love ray Emery, he's a great guy...But I never thought he was a top tier goalie..Gerber is (remember his herioc show against canada in the olympics)...Anyways, they'd be wise to trade Ray. that would be fairest to Ray..give him a shot on another team..But if ottawa wants to win the cup this year, they gotta go with Gerber. He is very good technically..Something Ray kinda lacks (watch Ray in scrambles..he really looks uncomfortable)....Anyways, that's a tough one. I mean, that would suck to take your team to the dance and then be out of a job the next year, cause you hurt your wrist.

Sugar Ray over Hasek any day!
Go to Top of Page

Guest2919
( )

Posted - 11/15/2007 :  22:17:40  Reply with Quote
you forgot the edmonton oilers....... with the way garon has been playing it looks like mact and klowe could make him the #1 which opens up more trade possibilities because roloson would be expendable
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2007 :  06:57:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The thing about trading Emery and keeping Gerber is, you just don't know when Gerber is going to stop playing well. The guy seems to go in spurts. With Emery, you know he will play a consistent game and with going how far he did last year, being a goaltender to help win the cup isn't far fetched. So, I'd say keep Emery. More consistent than Gerber.

Irvine
Go to Top of Page

fly4apuckguy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
834 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2007 :  19:56:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by irvine

The thing about trading Emery and keeping Gerber is, you just don't know when Gerber is going to stop playing well. The guy seems to go in spurts. With Emery, you know he will play a consistent game and with going how far he did last year, being a goaltender to help win the cup isn't far fetched. So, I'd say keep Emery. More consistent than Gerber.

Irvine

Here I go again, the Euro-hater guy, but if I'm running Ottawa, there is no way I trade Emery. Gerber may be a better goalie on his best night, but that could go south at any time, and then there are no best nights for awhile.

For all the great goalies Europe has produced, are there any that match the consistency of Canada's best? Nope. That's why you keep the Canadian, and if there is a controversy, trade the European and don't look back.

You know Emery will be a consistent 8. Gerber, on the other hand, could be a 9 - 9.5 for the better part of the season, and then go to hell and be a 3 just when you need him the most.
Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2337 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2007 :  00:02:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice topic Alex. I posted it on the home page as our feature poll. I tweaked it to keep it relevant to this season. Thanks for the contribution!
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2007 :  15:19:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fly4apuckguy

quote:
Originally posted by irvine

Irvine

Here I go again, the Euro-hater guy, but if I'm running Ottawa, there is no way I trade Emery. Gerber may be a better goalie on his best night, but that could go south at any time, and then there are no best nights for awhile.

For all the great goalies Europe has produced, are there any that match the consistency of Canada's best? Nope. That's why you keep the Canadian, and if there is a controversy, trade the European and don't look back.

You know Emery will be a consistent 8. Gerber, on the other hand, could be a 9 - 9.5 for the better part of the season, and then go to hell and be a 3 just when you need him the most.

Canada's best as a whole, or just Quebecs? :D lol.

Irvine
Go to Top of Page

I HATE CROSBY
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
538 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2007 :  23:21:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well, one thing that should be noted is that other than In toronto, the goalie controversy is a good one...As both goalies are capable #1's....As for Toronto (I love that team),but Paul is basically choosing which goalie will perform "less bad", as neither of them has performed admirably...And I had high hopes for Vesa.

Sugar Ray over Hasek any day!
Go to Top of Page

Guest9477
( )

Posted - 11/19/2007 :  15:42:01  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex

Toskala and Raycroft because im a leafs fan and the sens suck!!
go leafs go alfie sucks!!
Go to Top of Page

Patchy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
529 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2007 :  14:23:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I said Hasek-Ozzie, because everybody is expecting Hasek to be the starter in Detroit, but so far it looks like Chris Osgood, with 9 wins is taking that job over. It's not so much how big of a battle it is with those two, like toskala and raycroft..it's more how most people still think that Hasek is the starter there, but right now it's obviously not.

~~Go Leafs Go~~
Go to Top of Page

Guest6882
( )

Posted - 11/23/2007 :  07:44:12  Reply with Quote
I am a leafs fan so id have to say raycroft vs toskala.. although frankly besides a few bright games from toskala both have been playing miserable.

I think that in the case of emery and gerber just play as suggested 1-1-1-1 etc. But i think just play a goalie until they lose, then switch. Unless someone really steps it up, or starts playing really bad this seems like a good idea for me. As a hockey player myself i know my goalies dont enjoy traveling 3 hours for a game and not playing every single game. These guys get payed millions, but are still playing for the love of the game.
Go to Top of Page

Guest7112
( )

Posted - 12/04/2007 :  07:02:17  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9477

quote:
Originally posted by Alex

Toskala and Raycroft because im a leafs fan and the sens suck!!
go leafs go alfie sucks!!

go leafs go
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page