Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trash Talk
 Pierre McGuire...Joke or Genius? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  16:10:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PainTrain

What's that Sporstcenter host on TSN. Cory something? I don't know but regardless I hate him! He always tries to make funny jokes that aren't funny at all.

Mcguire is by far the most biast commentator. He switches his opinions about 5 times through a game. He thinks he knows everything but really he is just off.

He said Brent Burns should be on Team Canada in 2010 but not Jay Bouwmester.

While I agree with what you say, how can someone be biased, as you said, if they have five different opinions? How can you favour something based on your opinion, if you have no opinion! Ha I just thought it was funny, the juxtaposition (there's a ten dollar word for you)

''Mcguire is by far the most biast commentator. He switches his opinions about 5 times through a game.''

Habs get number 25 this year
Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  19:14:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I said he switches his opinions I meant about penalty calls,players and rules.
Go to Top of Page

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2008 :  05:38:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think McGuire is great haha.
He is intelligent and knows what he is tlaking about,
he is not the greatest,
but he certainly isn't awful

and i tottally agree with all the colour remarks,
I think TSN has way better colours and just overall look.
Makes it look soo much better

~~~GO STARS~~~
Go to Top of Page

Guest4368
( )

Posted - 02/15/2008 :  08:22:07  Reply with Quote
Oh SHUT UP you guys.

DOn't you remember when Chelios came and was teasin' him while he was on the air? that's a CLEAR FACT that they're buddies, he was just buggin' him tryin to make him mess up.

and standing in between the benches? that's about the COOLEST idea ever! Man, he had to fight with the network to get that spot, they didn't wanna let him, but he pestered until they finally said "ok but we're putting glass there for you" and he said "NO DEAL" Why? because he wanted to be as close to the game as you can. he's even got hit by accident in that spot and refuses to leave.

From that view he gets a hands on view of whats going on out there, even whats going on on the benches, and it's cool to listen what's going on in that area.

I like his work alot.

Let's not all be bitches about it
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2008 :  09:01:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My opinion? Pierre Maguire sucks.

Too many contradictory statements (he can't admit to being wrong, a problem many people have), excessive hyperbole, and getting too excited about stupid little details. Someone said he was "americanising" the game - I have to agree.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Guest6644
( )

Posted - 02/15/2008 :  09:26:10  Reply with Quote
I'll take Pierre Maguire over Greg Millen any old day of the week.

Maguire may get excited, and sometimes it's hard not to giggle at him, but he has coached in the NHL, which is more that any schmuck on this board can claim, and most colour guys as well.

Truth is, there aren't many good colour guys out there. My favs are as follows:

Harry Neale
Peirre Maguire

The rest you can heap in a pile and set on fire.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2008 :  18:03:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest5092
Takes all kinds, but I absolutely can't stand the score guys & Koulias is the worst. Always seem to be trying to upstage each other & are completely over the top when it comes to loud and obnoxious. If it wasn't for the fact that the score has the best ticker on the bottom with up to date & complete scoring summaries, I just would not watch it at all.

I hear ya, everybody has different tastes. I personally love Koulias but admit that it took me a bit to warm up to his, as Kramer from Seinfeld calls it, "unbridled enthusiasm!" I just laugh everytime he gets super loud and says something crazy then turns to the camera with a turd-eating grin. PRICELESS! Love it!
Go to Top of Page

Guest6576
( )

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  15:14:39  Reply with Quote
I totally agree, PEE AIR mcguire is the reason I hate watching hockey on TSN my god that guy is full of himself.....lets face it, most Canadians know hockey and how it's played,,,,we don't need that goof ball telling us a tie game could be won if one team scores?????or if that guy hadn't missed he would've of scored???we are not stupid PEE AIR
and finally, the world juniors, i turned the game off, i just hate listening to goof ball remarks and personal opinions about his so call vast knowledge of our beloved game.
Go to Top of Page

shinnyafterschool
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
375 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  15:32:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest6576

I
and finally, the world juniors, i turned the game off, i just hate listening to goof ball remarks and personal opinions about his so call vast knowledge of our beloved game.

Don't be silly, you could have watched it without sound!

"Desire is the most important factor in the success of any athlete. "
Go to Top of Page

Datsyuk 1
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
333 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2008 :  23:08:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My favorite commentary guy is Duthie and the worse just has to be that guy who does all the Buffalo games. He like screams every time something kind of exciting happens and its annoying.

Good defense is good offense!
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2008 :  00:44:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I could care less for the most part. I watch the game to watch the game, what someone else comments on during the game doesn't really affect me.

So Pierre or no Pierre, if the game is good i'm watching.

Irvine
Go to Top of Page

Guest8858
( )

Posted - 05/18/2008 :  10:26:43  Reply with Quote
This guy is the WORST and least knowledgable commentator ever.
He only has people bamboozled into thinking he was an NHL coach.
He was a damn assistant, and it lasted about 2 weeks!
Go to Top of Page

BradTheBadDad
Top Prospect

73 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2008 :  11:55:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I actually like him. I don't sit at my T.V. analyzing every word he says and don't really care about the contradictions. Seems like most of you are stressing way too much

Don't know about you but I focus my energy on watching the game. During a stoppage, I enjoy Pierre saying 'this play is all possible because Chimera took a hit to make a play' or 'the Canadians are purposely shooting high on Lundqvist' and explaining the game. It's fun and so is he!
Go to Top of Page

Guest8858
( )

Posted - 05/18/2008 :  13:10:39  Reply with Quote
Is that you Pierre's Dad?
Go to Top of Page

Leafs Rock Planet
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2008 :  17:25:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BradTheBadDad

I actually like him. I don't sit at my T.V. analyzing every word he says and don't really care about the contradictions. Seems like most of you are stressing way too much

Don't know about you but I focus my energy on watching the game. During a stoppage, I enjoy Pierre saying 'this play is all possible because Chimera took a hit to make a play' or 'the Canadians are purposely shooting high on Lundqvist' and explaining the game. It's fun and so is he!

I actually couldnt agree more. I actually like him. I actually enjoy what he has to say.

Guest6665
( )

Posted - 05/24/2008 :  15:38:24  Reply with Quote
Classic Nick Kypreos...just heard while discussing Chelios being a healthy scratch for Game 1.

"Let's not remember, he is in his mid-40s"

Yes he actually said "remember" and not "forget" :)

Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2008 :  02:06:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MarkhamMax

Holy crap on the sports guy parade! lol

I think Pierre Mcguire's job is to give the viewer a sense of "being in the scrum". Basically, bridging the gap between the ice and the television. To that end, I think he succeeds.
I think the reason a lot of people find him annoying is because he is basically being targeted to an audience that doesn't require his brand of enthusiasm in to the game.
Basically put, he'd be more appreciated in markets that need enthusiasm injected in to the game (read: most U.S. markets).
That's my spin on it anyway. I'm sure he's a decent man, has plenty of knowledge about the game, and is doing his best to promote it in a positive way.

Harold Ballard, Alan Eagleson... now there's some hockey men worth hating on.

Thank you voice of reason!!!

Also, every one of the anouncers/play-by-play/colour commentators/ panelists/etc etc.. that everyone mentions here are professionals that are quite good at what they do. And they all have their respective strengths and weaknesses. I have reasons for both liking and disliking all of these broadcasters. By the way, speaking on camera is WAY more difficult than anyone realizes, I give all these guys a lot of credit.

Here are some specifics: All former players were never trained in broadcasting and will, therefore, stumble over their words (read:Don Cherry) or, worse yet, have a hard time getting to their point (read: Nick Kypreos). Strangely, I find that the former goalies tend to be vastly superior broadcasters (Darren Pang, Kelly Hrudey, John Garrett etc). Maybe it's because they aren't nearly as punch-drunk as the other former players. The next time Kypreos is on, don't concentrate on the mediocre quality of his broadcasting voice (I wish he would drink water in between segments!) but listen to the content and message of what he is saying - he provides fantastic insight as to why certain things are happening on the ice, or why the coach made the decision that he made. That's where his strength lies and that's why he's been on the air about 10 years now. You used to be able to tell when he was receiving instruction coming over his earpiece because it would totally throw him off - which you can understand coming from an untrained non-broadcaster.

The only time I truly cringe is when I watch American broacasts of hockey games. If the guy isn't a total homer- like the local Red Wings guys used to be back in the '80s and early '90s- then they constantly inject basketball terms into the call of the game (NBC's Mike Emrick - guilty!)

Don Cherry is an old-school, bombastic character whose heart is bigger than his brain...but you gotta love him for it. I appreciate what our troops have done for us historically and what they are doing now - and he highlights that. he goes beyond hockey into the fabric of our country and our lives. Much like hockey does, no? Like a lovable, but racist, grandpa.

Bob Cole has the perfect all time "North American Broadcasting voice". The tone of his voice and the energy in his call-of-the-game is currently unequaled. Unfortunately, he is getting older and flubs his player names during telecasts. It breaks my heart when this happens.But he's still a great broadcaster.

Gary Green is very knowledgeable and has a great broadcasting voice with good diction. But I find myself pulling my hair out just wishing he would get to his point! Also, he has annoying speaking crutches that come out more and more when he gets flustered, "whereby" being one of his favourites. He uses it constantly on XM radio.

I believe the "Holy Mackinac" guy previously mentioned is Joe Bowen who has been calling Leafs games since the 80s. He used to use it very sparingly, but I too have noticed it more often. It really is just his own spin on the old "Holy Toledo". Mackinac is a town/island in northern Michigan. Bowen also has one of those great game-calling voices with a lot of energy. He is mostly unbiased in his call too.

Ron MacLean is one of the best, and Kelly Hrudey is not only very intelligent in his breakdown analysis but he is so darn likeable! It's hilarious when on a rare occasion he disagrees with his counterpart - he looks like his feelings are hurt from the heated argument; I feel so bad for the guy!

Harry Neale is one of the best too.

I think Pierre McGuire speaks very intelligently about the game - especially in a fast paced environment (when they throw it down to him between the benches for fast bits). I'd like to see any one of us do that. Again, it is SO MUCH TOUGHER than it looks. Btw, he was an NHL head coach for just short of a whole season to go along with 2 seasons as ass't. Plus minor-pro and NCAA hockey coach too. He's qualified. Now, whether he should even be between the benches to begin with is a different argument altogether.

I used to hate announcers that seemed to make the broadcasts about themselves (Mike Lange, Rick Jeanneret the Buffalo guy). I believe the play-by-play guy should do nothing but serve the game, not themselves. And these two are trying to be entertainers outside of the game they are calling. I've grown to accept them as part of the ongoing Americanization of my game.
And, sadly, I think Mike Lange is in the broadcasting wing of the HHoF

The little things that bug me I have grown to accept, what I cannot stand is the overly-biased announcing from American broadcasters - mostly on the west coast broadcasts. Don't these guys realize how immature and unprofessional they look? I almost fall off my couch with laughter sometimes.

Oh, and one other thing that boils my blood: tonight at the end of the 2nd period, they briefly interviewed Babcock on the Wings bench. I think that this intrusive, especially in the FINALS. Earlier in the playoffs they were interviewing players on the bench in between plays - INTRUSIVE!!!

Go to Top of Page

Guest4616
( )

Posted - 05/25/2008 :  07:58:58  Reply with Quote
So it seems that most people agree that this guy is terrible. My question is how does he still have a job?

I will not watch a game on TSN if he is the colour man. (would you shut up and let Miller call the game). I'm one of at least some that have this opinion, and that surely is costing TSN some viewers.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6647
( )

Posted - 05/25/2008 :  16:35:19  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 99pickles

quote:
Originally posted by MarkhamMax

Holy crap on the sports guy parade! lol

I think Pierre Mcguire's job is to give the viewer a sense of "being in the scrum". Basically, bridging the gap between the ice and the television. To that end, I think he succeeds.
I think the reason a lot of people find him annoying is because he is basically being targeted to an audience that doesn't require his brand of enthusiasm in to the game.
Basically put, he'd be more appreciated in markets that need enthusiasm injected in to the game (read: most U.S. markets).
That's my spin on it anyway. I'm sure he's a decent man, has plenty of knowledge about the game, and is doing his best to promote it in a positive way.

Harold Ballard, Alan Eagleson... now there's some hockey men worth hating on.

Thank you voice of reason!!!

Also, every one of the anouncers/play-by-play/colour commentators/ panelists/etc etc.. that everyone mentions here are professionals that are quite good at what they do. And they all have their respective strengths and weaknesses. I have reasons for both liking and disliking all of these broadcasters. By the way, speaking on camera is WAY more difficult than anyone realizes, I give all these guys a lot of credit.

Here are some specifics: All former players were never trained in broadcasting and will, therefore, stumble over their words (read:Don Cherry) or, worse yet, have a hard time getting to their point (read: Nick Kypreos). Strangely, I find that the former goalies tend to be vastly superior broadcasters (Darren Pang, Kelly Hrudey, John Garrett etc). Maybe it's because they aren't nearly as punch-drunk as the other former players. The next time Kypreos is on, don't concentrate on the mediocre quality of his broadcasting voice (I wish he would drink water in between segments!) but listen to the content and message of what he is saying - he provides fantastic insight as to why certain things are happening on the ice, or why the coach made the decision that he made. That's where his strength lies and that's why he's been on the air about 10 years now. You used to be able to tell when he was receiving instruction coming over his earpiece because it would totally throw him off - which you can understand coming from an untrained non-broadcaster.

The only time I truly cringe is when I watch American broacasts of hockey games. If the guy isn't a total homer- like the local Red Wings guys used to be back in the '80s and early '90s- then they constantly inject basketball terms into the call of the game (NBC's Mike Emrick - guilty!)

Don Cherry is an old-school, bombastic character whose heart is bigger than his brain...but you gotta love him for it. I appreciate what our troops have done for us historically and what they are doing now - and he highlights that. he goes beyond hockey into the fabric of our country and our lives. Much like hockey does, no? Like a lovable, but racist, grandpa.

Bob Cole has the perfect all time "North American Broadcasting voice". The tone of his voice and the energy in his call-of-the-game is currently unequaled. Unfortunately, he is getting older and flubs his player names during telecasts. It breaks my heart when this happens.But he's still a great broadcaster.

Gary Green is very knowledgeable and has a great broadcasting voice with good diction. But I find myself pulling my hair out just wishing he would get to his point! Also, he has annoying speaking crutches that come out more and more when he gets flustered, "whereby" being one of his favourites. He uses it constantly on XM radio.

I believe the "Holy Mackinac" guy previously mentioned is Joe Bowen who has been calling Leafs games since the 80s. He used to use it very sparingly, but I too have noticed it more often. It really is just his own spin on the old "Holy Toledo". Mackinac is a town/island in northern Michigan. Bowen also has one of those great game-calling voices with a lot of energy. He is mostly unbiased in his call too.

Ron MacLean is one of the best, and Kelly Hrudey is not only very intelligent in his breakdown analysis but he is so darn likeable! It's hilarious when on a rare occasion he disagrees with his counterpart - he looks like his feelings are hurt from the heated argument; I feel so bad for the guy!

Harry Neale is one of the best too.

I think Pierre McGuire speaks very intelligently about the game - especially in a fast paced environment (when they throw it down to him between the benches for fast bits). I'd like to see any one of us do that. Again, it is SO MUCH TOUGHER than it looks. Btw, he was an NHL head coach for just short of a whole season to go along with 2 seasons as ass't. Plus minor-pro and NCAA hockey coach too. He's qualified. Now, whether he should even be between the benches to begin with is a different argument altogether.

I used to hate announcers that seemed to make the broadcasts about themselves (Mike Lange, Rick Jeanneret the Buffalo guy). I believe the play-by-play guy should do nothing but serve the game, not themselves. And these two are trying to be entertainers outside of the game they are calling. I've grown to accept them as part of the ongoing Americanization of my game.
And, sadly, I think Mike Lange is in the broadcasting wing of the HHoF

The little things that bug me I have grown to accept, what I cannot stand is the overly-biased announcing from American broadcasters - mostly on the west coast broadcasts. Don't these guys realize how immature and unprofessional they look? I almost fall off my couch with laughter sometimes.

Oh, and one other thing that boils my blood: tonight at the end of the 2nd period, they briefly interviewed Babcock on the Wings bench. I think that this intrusive, especially in the FINALS. Earlier in the playoffs they were interviewing players on the bench in between plays - INTRUSIVE!!!

I think you are overestimating some people...just because one does not get formal training in broadcasting/journalism, that does not mean they should not be expected to communicate clearly, it is a personal choice to sit down and work on communication skills. Kypreos has been in the industry for years now, he has zero excuses for STILL screwing up in his communication. Just because one has not trained to be a personal trainer does that the person will automatically be out of shape???

Some broadcasters/journalists have received training and they still can't get their point across clearly...and some of them do not even pay attention to the meaning of words...like when they use "nobody" "everyone" "all the time" How do they know it is everybody or nobody, they don't, they don't know the opinions of 99.9% of the people so to say nobody or everybody is a flat out lie. And the figure of speech excuse is BS, saying "everyone" when it is not accurate to do so is just lazy and careless. It is ridiculous when they say "Nobody" saw this coming...oh really, did you talk to everyone to find out what they saw coming???

Go to Top of Page

wingman
Top Prospect

Canada
7 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2008 :  11:54:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hes a complete douche, if you know anything about hockey, you dont like pierre and thats the truth. Me and some buddies have started sending tsn emails begging them to take him off the air. I think if all the pierre haters out there were too band together we might be able to pursuade them to can that moron. The time is now we must unite as one for the cause, Fire Pierre!

Canucks blow
Go to Top of Page

clickster
Top Prospect

8 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2008 :  14:25:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i agree. pierre is the most annoying pile of dump on tv. he is the reason i will watch a game on any other channel, just so i dont have to listen to all of his crap. he points out the most obvious and useless little facts that no body gives a rats ass about and turns them into the biggest deal ever. it is amateur stuff he talks about and a first time hockey viewer from kenya would have already picked up on it all. the guys is a total waste and should exit the hockey scene for good.
Go to Top of Page

Guest1766
( )

Posted - 10/03/2008 :  13:45:13  Reply with Quote
Pierre is such a p****. what is he, 5 foot f*** all. he runs a little peep show in his gay booth between the benches. Why do you think he hasn't got a real job yet. He is definatly a monster broadcaster.
Go to Top of Page

Guest7014
( )

Posted - 01/03/2009 :  16:37:33  Reply with Quote
Please get rid of Pierre Mcguire. I cant stand it anymore!!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Hustler90
Top Prospect

Canada
53 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2009 :  20:30:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While he maybe annoying as hell, he is smart, I find him to be one of the smartest commentators around. But sometimes I do find myself yelling at him with the weird s*** he says haha
Go to Top of Page

Guest6618
( )

Posted - 01/03/2009 :  20:44:20  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex

You know who I hate? The gramps that covers the Leafs (as I fortunately do not follow the team I do not know his name, but this should narrow it down)

HOLY MACKINA!

Holy what?! First of all, that's not a word. Second of all, it loses whatever meaning you gave it when you say it twenty times a game. Third of all, stop getting excited. You are probably over 50 and will not live to see a cup in T.O. in your lifetime. Don't give yourself a heart attack bud. The buds won't go far so stop going nuts when Raycroft makes a half decent save when they're down 5-1. It isn't a case of HOLY MACKINA.

Habs get number 25 this year

You will probably live to that age too man, so ease up on the elder abuse.
Go to Top of Page

Guest7562
( )

Posted - 01/05/2009 :  13:52:52  Reply with Quote
Pierre Mcguire is awful. You can't understand what he is saying half the time because he mumbles then he will give out on of his loud grunting sounds. Does he work real cheap is that why TSN keeps him on? He takes all the fun out of watching the World Juniors.
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2009 :  22:57:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the guy personally, he lets us know little things about the players thats pretty cool. He is actually interesting to listen to, unlike alot of guys on TV.

Chicago Blackhawks GM

Jesus didn't tap.
Go to Top of Page

Reeder17
Rookie

Canada
112 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2009 :  07:10:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pierre can suck my W******
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2009 :  07:19:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Personally, i've never really had a problem with McGuire. It's a shame that so many people don't like him. I think he has alot to offer a broadcast and It seems like he has toned down his act a bit. I don't think he is as annoying as people make him out to be....but I guess i'm in the minority on that one. Also, to say that anyone who like McGuire doesn't know anything about hockey is ridiculous....

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Go to Top of Page

Odin
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
350 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2009 :  10:06:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, the one thing I find most annoying about McGuire, and I am surprised that it hasn't been mentioned yet, is his monotonous voice. The guy uses no inflection. Granted, he has improved on that, but it is still there. Someone touched on it about his mumbling, and that is part of it.

Since we are on this topic, what C can we do about PJ Stock. He gets on my nerves, it almost seems like he is trying too hard.

Someone mentioned Bob Cole as a good commentator. PLEASE! The only one more biased than Cole is Dean Brown.
Go to Top of Page

JERJ2008
Top Prospect

Canada
25 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2009 :  10:52:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't stand McGuire. He changes his mind about players constantly. Just like in the world juniors when Canada played Russia for the gold. He kept saying Ovechkin was going to get knocked over by the Canadian defense (which did happen), and that Crosby had the lower body strength to outmatch him. I'm not saying Crosby isn't a strong kid in this, but I don't remember a time when Crosby knocked Ovechkin over. On a more recent broadcast, I heard McGuire saying that the difference between Ovechkin and Crosby was Ovechkin played a more physical game. Good job McGuire, you've contradicted yourself yet again.
And I HATE how he's on ice level. If I'm playing a game, the last thing I want is some short bald guy leaning over onto my bench and asking me questions during my game. I'm more concerned with what my coach and players have to say, on top of watching the game and being ready for a shift.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4227
( )

Posted - 01/28/2009 :  20:19:43  Reply with Quote
TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN: I am a big Hockey fan since the mid to late 1960's 1966 and on . I watch hockey on TSN and I hate watching the game now because of Pierre Maguire he never shuts up, he does not belong in between the 2 teams on the ice and does not belong in hockey. I do not care if his under wear is sticking up his ass. Please tell TSN to get rid of Pierre Maguire so I can listen to the hockey game with out my remote in my hand. I like to have my own opinion of the game not 3 hours of Pierre Maguire. Thank you, hockey fan
Go to Top of Page

MrD
Top Prospect

Canada
19 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2009 :  09:58:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My biggest problem with McGuire is that he is very arrogant and thinks that his opinions and views are the correct ones and anyone who disagrees has no clue about hockey. If someone challenges his opinions he gets abrasive and tries to talk the other person down instead of backing up his statements. If anyone listens to him on the Team 1200 radio every morning in Ottawa, they will know what I mean. He takes cheap shots at fans that email or call in, which to me is just absolutely unprofessional.

The way I see it, he can't be that much of a "great hockey mind" because he no longer has a job in the NHL. But if you listen to him speak, he thinks he had a huge impact on the teams he was affiliated with (Pens in specific). I bet he couldn't find work because of his arrogance and abrasiveness. He was probably the kid in school that always got "doesn't work well with others" on his reports.

And one last thing - all the friggin' name dropping!!! He acts like he's best friends with everyone in the league, and every time a new topic comes up in a discussion, he's the first to drop a name and proceed to say that "he and I were talking about this the other day and we called it before it happened," or the infamous "that's what I've been saying all along". So McGuire might be horrible commentator, but I guess he's one hell of a prophet!

Milbury and McGuire should fight to the death and both lose.
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2009 :  10:47:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MrD

My biggest problem with McGuire is that he is very arrogant and thinks that his opinions and views are the correct ones and anyone who disagrees has no clue about hockey. If someone challenges his opinions he gets abrasive and tries to talk the other person down instead of backing up his statements.

Kind of like alot of people on this site, lol (ive been guilty of this once or twice myself

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".

Edited by - Matt_Roberts85 on 01/29/2009 10:47:46
Go to Top of Page

Guest9109
( )

Posted - 01/29/2009 :  10:50:58  Reply with Quote
i hate mcguire and for this reason being the biggest... he focuses in on 1 player every game he calls and pretty well sucks that players d&(* for 60 minutes. i find that soooo damn annoying
Go to Top of Page

Guest7143
( )

Posted - 01/30/2009 :  09:55:08  Reply with Quote
Pierre's the best analyst on TV by far.

[ link removed - moderator ]

Edited by - n/a on 11/17/2009 11:45:58
Go to Top of Page

Guest0600
( )

Posted - 01/30/2009 :  14:45:00  Reply with Quote
the thing i like about pierre is that he points out the little things like taking a hit to make a play, or blocking a big shot on a penalty kill. those things might go unnoticed by some people but pierre is one of the only broadcasters that really gets excited when players sacrifice for the team when it counts the most.
Go to Top of Page

Guest7877
( )

Posted - 11/17/2009 :  10:52:41  Reply with Quote
Pierre is a tool!!!!!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Guest5588
( )

Posted - 11/25/2009 :  19:39:56  Reply with Quote
Pierre is driving me nuts. Last Saturday Montreal game Pierre commented each period between a low of 52 times and a high of 73 times for an average of 10 minutes per period. In the Vancouver game which followed, John Garret only commented an average of 27 times for a total of 6 minutes per period. In other words Pierre yakked two to three times as much and for almost twice as long. The saddest part is a lot of his commentary is during active play. Sad but true. And to top all this off we get comments like " Thats the way to play tall" when a puck takes a defensive bounce off a skate.. Save me please

Deano
Go to Top of Page

Tiller33
PickupHockey Pro

389 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2009 :  22:48:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
tonight was legendary, immediately following Gord Miller stating "Gustavsson had no idea where that puck was" Pierre's Analysis concludes with him stating "that Gustavsson's knowledge of where that puck was is truly impressive". Wheres a drive by shooting when you need one.

There's a lot of dirty old occ's around thats the problem

Edited by - Tiller33 on 11/26/2009 14:51:26
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page