Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Captain Cup Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  15:11:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Which of the six captains of Canadian* teams deserves the cup the most this year?

Choices:

Mats Sundin
Saku Koivu
Jason Smith
Daniel Alfredsson
Markus Naslund
Jarome Iginla
Ethan Moreau

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  15:29:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyways:

There is a case for all these guys.

Sundin- spent his entire career, save the little while in Quebec, on the Leafs. He's been through all the adversity when he could have been a much better player somewhere else. He stayed in Toroto when they hated him and when they loved him. He had some good teams, getting as close as the Eastern finals, and some bad teams, most recently not making the playoffs. Now the guy is 36 and is choosing to stay in Toronto even though it means he will probably retire with only a Stanley Cup in his way of completing the trademark illustrious career.

Koivu- Just like all of them, he is the guy in his respective city. He is 33. He came back from cancer to play for his team. He has seen the guys change all around hm, and he has remained the only constant in the Montreal formula. Every time he plays in Montreal he sees all the banners hanging high, plus is the captain of the last team to win a cup for Canada. By winning his first, he could renew Montreal's status as the king of Canada.

Alfredsson- If history points to Montreal as king of Canada, everything else points to the Sens. Alfie has been arguably the most hated captain of them all. He made promises of winning he could not fullfill. He was on the bad teams that got nowhere. Finally some things seem to be going right for the Sens. Looking to rebound from a heartbreaking loss in the Finals last year, will Alfredsson finally see his dream come true? His career is more than halfway over, unless he pulls a Chelios or Howe.

Iginla- He knows the same feeling that Alfredsson felt last year, going all the way just to lose. His team was closer, and they were underdogs. He plays in the West, a much tighter conference than the East. He knows how important it is to show up each and every game, and he does. People are starting to say he is the best Flame to play, and with a cup, he could convince a lot more people.

Naslund- His team never gets everyone on board. He goes from good to bad to good on the scoresheet, from finding favour to complaints, back to favour in the eyes of the media. And from teams winning to losing to winning yet again. This guy is the third old Swede in the bunch, but he has a lot less fanfare following him around. Some would argue he is underappreciated. With a cup win, I know that Vancouver would more than appreciate Captain Canuck.

Smith: Also 34, I would say this guy is the most passionate yet least loyal in the bunch. The only guy to have made his way through four teams on the list, his most recemt transaction saw him land a place on the roster of the Philadelphia Flyers. He has to rewin the crowds, rewin the guys he will bee playing with, and redo everything he built up in Philly. The team is good this year, and if he wins he will never regret changing teams. The Oil might...

I'm not making a case for Moreau, nothing against him. I will leave that to someone else.
Go to Top of Page

nashvillepreds
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1053 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  15:54:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think its a great way to end Sundin's career. Thay all deserve it though.

Ellis or Mason?

Go Preds Go!
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2007 :  17:05:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im a habs fan... but I think Koivu, Iginla, and Sundin deserve it the most.. the first two, enough said, although Im a passionate "leaf-hater", I should hate Sundin but I think he deserves a cup for dealing with the leafs for so long lol and he makes the team 10 times better then they really should be, even if he does score against the habs every game it seems.. thats my opinion
Go to Top of Page

nashvillepreds
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1053 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  06:54:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, I say Iggy before Alfie, even though Alfie will probably win first.

Ellis or Mason?

Go Preds Go!
Go to Top of Page

Guest9252
( )

Posted - 12/07/2007 :  09:41:06  Reply with Quote
quote:
Alfie has been arguably the most hated captain of them all

As far as I know Alfredsson is only hated by leafs fans like you Alex. He has been noted to be the best 'lead by example' captain this year and he has been carrying possibly the most skilled team in the league on his back.

I also think that Sundin is the only player on this list who whines to referees after every single whistle and the only one who -despite being really extremely skilled- plays 'cheap' with hooking and slashing every shift.

Now, before calling me biased, watch the next leafs game and tell me if you see a shift where he doesnt hook someone behind the play who is faster than him. Maybe he is smart to know how to get away with it (and the yapping) but being a hockey player myself I hate those kinds of players the most.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page