Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 If you were a coach. Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2007 :  14:07:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
If you were a coach and your team was up by 6 goals what would you do?

Choices:

Play the 3rd and 4th liners more.
Keep your superstar on the ice and help him get more points.
Roll the lines and just play a easy dump and chase.
Ask your assistant coach to get a crossword puzzle because your team is coaching themself.

Edited by - PainTrain on 12/14/2007 14:07:53

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2007 :  16:37:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PainTrain

If you were a coach and your team was up by 6 goals what would you do?

Well, I know what Glen Sather would do.

I would rest my superstars in that situation. No need to risk injury.

"I'm a man of principle... or not. Whatever the situation calls for." - Alan Shore

Edited by - willus3 on 12/14/2007 17:19:05
Go to Top of Page

Ottawa Oilers
Rookie

150 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2007 :  17:57:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's a good chance someone would have 2 goals so I would play them to help them get a hat-trick. But I would just roll the lines otherwise.
Go to Top of Page

Guest0258
( )

Posted - 12/14/2007 :  18:30:33  Reply with Quote
Don't risk any injury,rest your best players and play your 3 and 4 lines.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2007 :  09:57:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It all depends who you are playing. Let me tell a little story.

I played on one of the best High School Basketball teams in Alberta in the early/mid-90's. We were a 2A school (less than 200 kids) and would normally play and beat 3A(200-750 kids) and 4A(over 750 kids). I was a starter and when we played a weaker team, the coach would sent the starters out for maybe 5 minutes at the start of the game. Then maybe another 3-4 minutes at the start of the 2nd half. Other than that, we would play our second string. The coach would get a 15-20 point lead, just to show the other team who we where, then he would put in the 2nd string.

Sound fair right?? Well, one day we were playing that rival school. They had a guy who was a 6'9" monster. Being a school in small rural Alberta, the equipment wasn't the best of the best. I, as a captain, went to the other coach and asked him if he could not have his big guy dunk in warm-ups as we had a backboard shatter earlier in the year. He called the big fella over and told him, then winked at him. The big guy just smiled and proceeded to dunk it hard and shatter the backboard. Well, small town Alberta doesn't have a lot of spare backboards, so the game was posponed until the following week. My coach even told the other coach we would come to their gym to play the game.

Well, that next game, in their gym, with 2 bus loads of our fans in their stands, my coach unleashed hell. The starters on my team never sat a minute and we played hard. My coach wanted to send a message. The score was 152-29 for us. I think the message was sent.

My point of the story, if the game is just a game and you only need 2 points, roll the lines, give most of the minutes to the 3rd and 4th lines. However, if this is your rival, you don't let up at all. Like that 8-2 Philly over PItt the other day, perfect.

You never let up on a rival.

Wayne or Bobby?? How about both!!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page