Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 1st line guys you think are 2nd or 3rd liners. Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tbar
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
376 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2008 :  12:23:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I have watched quite a few Oilers games this year and every game my opinion of Hemsky grows stronger. I think he is one guy that does not deserve to play on the top line in Oil town or anywhere else for that matter. The guy gets striped of the puck 15 times a game (I may be exaggerating) and consistently puts his line mates off side with that extra unnecessary move at the blue line. I can’t stand watching this plug.

hkalirah
PickupHockey Pro

382 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2008 :  12:42:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Antropov & Ponikarovsky in Toronto.

Go Wings Go!
Go to Top of Page

tbar
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
376 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2008 :  13:39:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a leafs fan i have to agree with you hkalirah, they are over rated as well
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2008 :  13:45:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seconded (or thirded?), everyone who currently plays with Mats on Toronto should not be on the first line. Poni and Antropov would make excellent third-liners.

There are lots more, but off the top of my head, the ones I think of first right now are Pavelski (with Thornton on SJ) and Malone (with the kid on PIT) . . .

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2008 :  14:34:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After watching virtually every Oilers game for the past 5 years, I would have to disagree completely with the views on Hemsky. Firstly, I do agree that he gets stripped of the puck more often than others. Also, I agree that his linemates are often off side.

However, ask why this happens. Ever think that Hemsky holds on to the puck trying to make something happen?? Ever wonder if why he gets stripped of the puck is because he doesn't have an open pass?? Ever think that his lines mates are off side because of what they are doing??

I would disagree completely that Hemsky is not a 1st line player. Contrary, he is a 1st line player on most teams in the league. Horcoff, although an all-star is a borderline 1st line player. Penner, not a first line player. Pretty much every other Oiler forward, not first line players.

Hemsky is the 1st line player, the others are not.
Go to Top of Page

Guest2533
( )

Posted - 01/30/2008 :  14:38:17  Reply with Quote
saku koivu
Go to Top of Page

tbar
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
376 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2008 :  14:45:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hemsky is a first line player in a pond hockey game. His line mates are off side because he has to make an extra move when he gets to the blue line. Did you see the game last night? What the heck was he doing in the last 2 minutes. Brutal.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6916
( )

Posted - 01/30/2008 :  15:00:17  Reply with Quote
Henrik and Daniel Sedin. They aren't even a point a game and because they have to play together they reduce the canuck's line up options. Throw in Naslund and you have a great second line for the canucks. It is obvious to me that since the canucks have gone 3-6-1 in their last ten with the leagues best goalie, that they are still in desperate need of an entire first line!
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2008 :  15:56:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

However, ask why this happens. Ever think that Hemsky holds on to the puck trying to make something happen?? Ever wonder if why he gets stripped of the puck is because he doesn't have an open pass?? Ever think that his lines mates are off side because of what they are doing??

You may be right, I do not watch enough Oiler games to comment on it. However,
that seems like a lot of mistakes happening, mainly while in his possession, to be pointed at everyone else and not him. :/

A lot of "what ifs"

Irvine

Edited by - irvine on 01/30/2008 15:56:31
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2008 :  16:54:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a lot of respect of Hemsky's game. Most people you hear talking about him also do. Sure he makes mistakes, show me a player that doesn't.

And tbar, last night was one game. There wasn't one Oiler on the ice that showed up at all. And if Hemsky is not a first line Oiler, neither is Horcoff who is an all star. Horcoff has 5 more points than Hemsky and has played in 7 more games. 45 points in 46 games for Hemsky is first line numbers to me.

C'mon. Hemsky is tied for 8th in the league among RWer's in scoring, and comparing him to All Star Corry Perry, Hemsky has the same amount of points in 7 fewer games and does not have a player like Getzlef in the middle nor Bertuzzi on the other side. And Hemsky doesn't have the offensive talent on the blue line that Perry does either.

Hemsky's job is to produce offense, and considering the talent he is with, he does a fine job of that. He's ahead of the like of "first line" Right Wingers such as Hossa, Kovalev, Jagr, Hedjuk, Rolston, and Gionta in PPG.

If Hemsky is not a first line right winger in this league, I wonder who is? Are you seriously saying that Hemsky is not one of the top 30 Right Wingers in the League??
Go to Top of Page

tbar
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
376 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  07:55:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I cant beleave you could honestly mention Hemsky with the players in your last post. Corey Perry probably doesnt have as much skill as Hemsky but he is past that peewee mind set. He realizes instead of stickhandling threw 3 players a give and go may be more effective. He gains the blue line before he makes another move instead of putting his linemates off side. Hes willing to grind it out to win a batel for the puck. Hemsky does not understand the TEAM concept and it shows.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  10:42:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm, doesn't understand the "team concept" hey?? Is that why people have been highly critical on his lack of shooting?? Is that why people say he passes the puck too much?? Is that why he has 176 assists compared to only 63 goals in his career??

I wonder if you are I are watching different Oiler Teams play? Hemsky is very unselfish in his play and when he is attempting to go through those three guys it's to give his team mate a better opportunity to score.

Put Hemsky on a line with a true sniper and you would see Marc Savard type numbers.
Go to Top of Page

tbar
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
376 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2008 :  11:50:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it doesnt matter who Hemsky, you or myself play on a line with if you get striped of the puck 8 out of 10 times in between the bluelines.

Crosby, Ovechkin and a long list of other star players dont try to go threw 3 guys (every time) because they no they'll lose the puck. They pass it off find a hole and look for the return pass.

But hey were not all going to agree i just think the guys a 2nd or 3rd liner.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page