Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Can the Leafs turn it around? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2008 :  16:26:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Can the Toronto Maple Leafs turn the team around as a whole by the start of next season? (08/09)

Irvine

Choices:

Yes, they can
No, they cant
We will see, only time can tell
Not next year, few years maybe

Edited by - irvine on 02/06/2008 16:28:05

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2008 :  16:30:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you feel the Leafs can turn their team around to be playoff contenders by the 08/09 season?

If so, please explain how they can/should go about doing or - how they will.

If not, explain why.

Are they in too deep to change it by next season, and will need to wait for a few more?

It's your call, explain it please. Especially you Leaf fans.

Irvine
Go to Top of Page

Leafsfan_94
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1070 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2008 :  16:45:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what i think is they shouldnt be playing toskala so much. back in san jose he was not used to playing consistent games. san jose didnt really have a number one goaltender.raycroft on the other hand has always been a number one goalie. they should do what they did with toskala and nabokov,play them both as number one goaltenders. and if it doesnt work. hell go to the minors and bring up pogge for a few games.

i also think they dont have much of a chance of turning it around unless they get mccabe back or some good defenceman at the deadline. in 05 if they got pronger they wouldnt need toskala. raycroft did fine last year 37 wins in 72 games. thats pretty good considering leafs didnt play good infront of him. also that huge save in st.louis he earned his salary on that one. i wanna see pogge come up and get good defense at the deadline and they may have a chance

we can only hope

>>>Go Leafs Go<<<
Wings 4 The Cup
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2008 :  16:52:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
McCabe will be back my next season. So, they'll have McCabe.

But what can they do to change this team around and actually win games next season. This season is lost, over. So I believe they need to start now, turning the team around. Make the moves needed, call up some players they feel they will play next season. Let them get used to the game in the NHL. So next season, they are prepared.

I mean, this season is over for the Leafs. Time to regroup and worry about next.

They need to take some time, as they seem to be doing - and really think hard as to who they want to GM their franchise. They need to begin building their offensive production and then make their way back to D. They have some strong defensive players when they are healthy, so out the GM / Offense, then make their way back to the Defensive side.

Start utilizing their minor league players, that they feel have a strong chance of playing their next year. So they can get used to their teammates and the style of play in the NHL - as a Leaf. Make some moves slowly, see what they can get and when. By deadline - and in the off season.

Just some of my 0.02, more of a ramble.

Irvine
Go to Top of Page

Antroman
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
537 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2008 :  19:36:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bryan McCabe will be back next week at the latest and tomorrow night at the earliest. Steen will be back by next week and Ponikarovski is close as well. Antropov's last game of suspension is tomorrow night's game. Boyce is gone for the season and nobody knows what is up regarding Chad Kilger who has disappeared for personal reasons? Oh yea, the topic........I do not think they will turn it around next year unless all the dominos fall into place which isn't likely? The team is about to embark on a major rebuilding and I heard today that upper management has set aside something like 12 million dollars to aid in the buying out and hiring jobs. It is going to get very interesting in the next little while around Hogtown!!!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Patchy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
529 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2008 :  20:08:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No I don't believe they can turn it around, nor do I think it should be their goal...all the focus is on (as always) next year. But in the sense that they will be completely retuned and have a more talented and diverse roster. And that is under the responsibility of the new GM Cliff Fletcher. Even though he is only an interim GM, the fate of the club's next seasons relies on his decisions. If he makes good deals this year at the trade deadline, we may have a shot at a playoff run...I mean we have to live up to our expectations eventually right??

~~Go Leafs Go~~
Go to Top of Page

MarkhamMax
Rookie

Canada
102 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2008 :  20:46:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't expect the team to turn things around in any meaningful way this season.

As for next season, if the big team 'blow-up' happens, as we all expect it will, there are no guarantees those moves will result in sudden success. In other words, until we see what transpires in the off-season the answer to whether the Maple Leafs can become a team with the talent to compete as a playoff team is a maybe/maybe not scenario.

Even if they do make all the right trades, it takes time for a team to gel. I wouldn't expect much for the Leafs in the 08-09 season either.

Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2008 :  20:52:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not so much wondering whether it will be turned around by the end of this season, but by the beginning of next season. Can they make it happen if they work on it the remainder of this season and during the off season?

Irvine
Go to Top of Page

Patchy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
529 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2008 :  20:54:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by irvine

I'm not so much wondering whether it will be turned around by the end of this season, but by the beginning of next season. Can they make it happen if they work on it the remainder of this season and during the off season?

Irvine

It's possible, they don't have to make too many moves..the only problem is how they manage the team, the ownership does not care whether the team wins or loses. That has to change.

~~Go Leafs Go~~
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2008 :  00:44:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I must say...

One does have to believe the owners care if their team wins or loses. More wins, likely equals more money in the end.

So I am sure they care a great deal, even in Toronto. But - I do think MLSE go wrongfully about a lot of things. They tend to "butt" in to GM's moves, etc far too much. They don't know hockey like the GM's do, it's their job. They just provide the funding. Leave it to the "pros."

Irvine
Go to Top of Page

Guest1705
( )

Posted - 02/09/2008 :  08:58:16  Reply with Quote
not unless the get rid of kubina (5 m on their salery), (7.1 m on their salery and under performing), and other guys step up. look at robbie earl who just got called up from the minors and is playing great
Go to Top of Page

Guest1467
( )

Posted - 02/09/2008 :  14:04:08  Reply with Quote
whats up with patchy, blackhawk logo, cheers for TO!! choose a team!!1

now the topic. the leafs could turn it around for next year and make the playooffs. but that should not be their goal. their goal should be to field a competitive team and hire strong rigid ownership for the future if they ever want to make the finals something they havent done in forty years.

you can always scrape into the playooffs but that should not be your goal is what im saying. get rid of the entire ownership to start with and then work down that mlse is a disgrace, richard peddie should be put under the guillotine for what he and his owneership have creaated theere.

Go to Top of Page

Antroman
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
537 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2008 :  22:10:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wings fall, Habs fall. Life is good for the blue and white at the moment. Maybe there are no turns to be made? I have said all along that this team is not that bad. Now, don't post back and say they aren't cup contenders because I know they are not. What I am saying here is they are not as dreadful as some of you out there have been saying. The Bryan McCabe injury was devastating to say the least and coupled with some rather unscrupulous behavior from the league and it's officials I would say the team would have been right in there fighting for a playoff berth right down to the wire. The current crop of youngsters on the team are quite good, and I did not refer to them as future franchise players, and with more on the way I see no reason that a complete overhaul has to be made. They need a real good young prospect to take over for Sundin in a couple of years and moving out of a couple of their expensive older veterans and the team should be alright.
I would like to point out that the record of the team with McCabe out of the lineup the past three years is 6-21-3. So far since he's been back is 2-0 and both those victories have come against two of the leagues best teams at the moment, Detroit and Mtl.
Go to Top of Page

nashvillepreds
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1053 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2008 :  08:22:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe the 8th spot can be snagged by T.O.

Ellis or Mason?

Go Preds Go!
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2008 :  08:35:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
History shows otherwise. Guys they aren't going anywhere stop falling in to the pattern that is a Leafs fan. They suck, ok. You can't know until the end of the day but listen, how do you get blown out by Florida then beat the best team in the league? Inconsistency. Does inconsistency win championships? I think not.

I have hereby given up analyzing the team.

Habs get number 25 this year
Go to Top of Page

Antroman
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
537 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2008 :  09:49:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Nash, There chances of making the playoffs are slim and none I'm afraid. They have just too many teams to jump over and with three point games it is just a monumental task for sure. It is still possible but because of the above reasons I wouldn't bet any money on it. My post was basically about those that have chosen the "blow it up" as the way to go. What I was trying to say is that I don't think they need that kind of a drastic measure in moving ahead. I know a couple of parts need to be changed and a new leader to replace the aging Captain is in order but a massive house cleaning, in my opinion, is not needed. I think with the youngsters already on board and a few that are on the way it might be best to just ride out this dreadful season, hire that new GM and slowly and methodically rebuild over the course of the next two years. Change for the sake of change can sometimes lead to a worse scenario than what already exists.

Hey Alex, If they suck then how do explain the beating of your team? Your declaration of "I have hereby given up analyzing this team" reminds me of the kid who takes his ball and goes home because he can't get his own way? Sounds like sour grapes to me.
Go to Top of Page

Patchy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
529 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  06:09:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest1705

not unless the get rid of kubina (5 m on their salery), (7.1 m on their salery and under performing), and other guys step up. look at robbie earl who just got called up from the minors and is playing great

Well the problem is, players like Kubina and McCabe (as you may know) have no-trade clauses () So there's not much we can do about that.

~~Go Leafs Go~~
Go to Top of Page

Patchy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
529 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  06:12:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest1467

whats up with patchy, blackhawk logo, cheers for TO!! choose a team!!1

now the topic. the leafs could turn it around for next year and make the playooffs. but that should not be their goal. their goal should be to field a competitive team and hire strong rigid ownership for the future if they ever want to make the finals something they havent done in forty years.

you can always scrape into the playooffs but that should not be your goal is what im saying. get rid of the entire ownership to start with and then work down that mlse is a disgrace, richard peddie should be put under the guillotine for what he and his owneership have creaated theere.

I agree with you guest , for the most part. Who says a man can't like two teams?? Especially when they never play eachother
Anyways, they have made the finals in the last 40 years, but I can still count how many times they've done that, on one hand...They need to turn their attitude around, if they think the fans are going to put up with this for another 40 years, they're wrong!

~~Go Leafs Go~~
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  06:18:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The solution is so obvious.

We should get the entire city of Toronto to pick up and move to Orlando. We'll lay siege on the city, take it over, rename it Toronto and then be in the South East division in the NHL. Maybe then we'd have a sporting chance at least of making the post season. I'll let some other eccentric philantropist handle it from there.

Habs get number 25 this year
Go to Top of Page

ThorntonisTHEMAN
PickupHockey Pro

499 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  06:21:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't see how they can turn it around by next season! McCabe and Kubina have no-trade clauses and even if they didn't, they are both way over-paid so it will be very hard to get rid of them. Sundin obviously has a no-trade clause but Leafs Nation can hope he waives it. Tucker is overpaid for how he has played. Blake is overpaid for how he has played. Antropov could be traded but the Leafs seem to love Antropov for some reason. not sure what that reason might be. stajan, steen, and wellwood have all under-performed this year so their value is done. honestly, i do not see how the Leafs are going to become a cup-contender in the next year. or in the next few years!
Go to Top of Page

Guest6727
( )

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  07:59:08  Reply with Quote
Its become quite apparent that everyone needs to just be patient when it comes to the leafs. They have been mediocre since the lockout but the general attitude towards the team from a fans perspective is as if they have never made the playoffs and will never make the playoffs again, and are the worst team in the history of hockey. They are obviously going to try and rebuild this team as quickly and as efficently as possible but it is going to be a very difficult process, with results that wont be seen for a few years. So, all the leaf bashers out there, enjoy it while you can. I just don't want the city of Toronto and the great fans of the Maple Leafs to remain a joke for any length of time. We are a proud hockey community and, despite popular beleif, will not tolerate this mediocrity any longer. We want a winner, no matter what it takes.
Go to Top of Page

ThorntonisTHEMAN
PickupHockey Pro

499 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  04:49:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh i am sure that Leafs community wants a winner! But as for tolerating mediocrity? I question that. Honestly, what are Leaf fans going to do about it? stop coming to games? completely boycott the Leafs? Stop watching to Leafs TV? come on, that is not going to happen! I admire Leafs Nations loyalty but at the same time, it sure hasn't helped the Leafs any! They need to start losing fans. People need to stop coming to games. The Leafs Management needs a wakeup call to see that "oh, hmmm, maybe our fans aren't going to take any more of our crap. We actually need to build a team to contend for the Cup, instead of making the playoffs being our goal every year".
So until the Leafs Nation starts showing the Leafs that seasons like this isn't good enough, that playoffs aren't good enough, I think Mapleleaf fans are completely tolerating the Leafs.
Think about it. If the Jays were this bad, would they still be selling out and having tons of fans come to their games? No. And that needs to happen with the Leafs.

"I'm not dumb enough to be a goalie."
Brett Hull.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page