Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Poll - Neck Protectors Mandatory? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2335 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2008 :  23:22:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Should the NHL make neck protectors mandatory for all players?

Choices:

Yes
No
Undecided

Timay
Rookie

Canada
105 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2008 :  23:38:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, i hope this one incident with Zednik (and the one with the ref) doesn't prompt the NHL to make a change as dramatic as this would be. It would seem like a knee-jerk reaction on behalf of the league. These incidents, although very serious are rare. Players choice on this one, just like visors (which might be mandatory first).
Go to Top of Page

MSC
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
601 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  00:11:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree Timay....see my girl/scarf/sponge puck comments in previous topic
Go to Top of Page

Leafsfan_94
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1070 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  05:00:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well maybe they should all wear neck defelctors(goalies) so they dont get the necks slit open and players should wear neck guards more often

>>>Go Leafs Go<<<
Leafsfan_94

Edited by - Leafsfan_94 on 02/12/2008 05:01:31
Go to Top of Page

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  05:31:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really don't think this is needed.
Like Heatly said pn SportCenter,
"The only cover about and inche, maybe two at max, I dont really see a point in them"
I agree. They may cover the neck, but does it protect it?
I think they will be a waste of money. The league is over-exaturating about the whole thing. It was a bad incident, but you cant do anyhtign about it.
Stuff like that happens.

~~~GO STARS~~~
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  06:47:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Timay

No, i hope this one incident with Zednik (and the one with the ref) doesn't prompt the NHL to make a change as dramatic as this would be. It would seem like a knee-jerk reaction on behalf of the league. These incidents, although very serious are rare. Players choice on this one, just like visors (which might be mandatory first).

Dramatic? What is dramatic about this?! Please explain what possible detteremental results can come out of such a rule? In the case where you only have benefit as an option, why the heck not institute a mandatory protection? You say why, I say why not. Ask the injured players how they feel about it.

Habs get number 25 this year
Go to Top of Page

Guest9381
( )

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  07:13:08  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex

quote:

Dramatic? What is dramatic about this?! Please explain what possible detteremental results can come out of such a rule? In the case where you only have benefit as an option, why the heck not institute a mandatory protection? You say why, I say why not. Ask the injured players how they feel about it.

Go to Top of Page

Guest9381
( )

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  07:14:40  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9381

quote:

quote:

IITS LIKE SAYING U HAVE TO WEAR A HELMET WHEN CROSSING THE STREET!!! IT SHOULDNT BE MANDATORY AND SHOULD BE THE PLAYERS CHOICE
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  07:17:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A helmet while crossing the street would make pedestrians think you just escaped some psychiatric ward. But a neck guard? You can't even see those things. There is no reason whatsoever why it should NOT be mandatory, name me one.

Go to Top of Page

Guest0338
( )

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  07:22:43  Reply with Quote
I think this is a completely ridiculous idea. I don't wear one any more because I think it is uncomfortable and I don't have to. These are professionals and let them make a decision they can be pleased with.
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  07:28:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest0338

I think this is a completely ridiculous idea. I don't wear one any more because I think it is uncomfortable and I don't have to. These are professionals and let them make a decision they can be pleased with.

Ask Zednik how comfortable he is. Sure these injuries rarely happen. But who knows how many minor casualties could be avoided? At the price of what, getting used to a little strap around your neck? How long can it take to get used to?

Let me tell you a little story. Jason Spezza has been playing with wood sticks his entire life. The brand he likes is discontinued. This off season he is going to have to make the switch, one that he says will take at least two months two adjust to.

If Jason, one of the best in the league, can do it with a central piece of equipment, then the rest of the players can suck it up and put something around their necks.

Edited by - Alex on 02/12/2008 07:31:25
Go to Top of Page

tbar
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
376 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  08:44:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First of all neck guards do not protect much at all. They cant help you if you take a shot in the neck and they have limited protection for a skate across the neck. The players know the risk and they should and do have the choice of wearing one. I personanly do not wear one it is not an issue in my mind.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  09:11:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I said in a previous post, these types of injuries occur at the rate of one ever 27,000 games played. The potential for this type of injury to occur is very low.

The other problem with it(which I don't think anyone has talked about yet) is the lack of respect players have for "protected areas." When was the last time a player was concerned about slashing a guy to the shins?? The shin pad was not designed to protect against slashing.

The more protection for the players, the more reckless players will be and more then likely injuries will increase. And from everyone I have seen, it's the media talking about this, not the NHL. Maybe I'm wrong, but as soon as any kind of injury happens, the media cry for changes to equipment.

Here's a question. Brian Berard to a stick to the eye in 2000. Luckily he was able to play again. However, everyone was screaming for manditory visors after that incident. Has there been a serious eye injury to an NHL player since then????

I don't recall.

(PS, Neck guards are not even mandatory for goalies in today's NHL. Considering the much higher chance of a goalie getting a puck in the throat, how often does that happen?? )
Go to Top of Page

Guest4912
( )

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  13:06:23  Reply with Quote
the problem is that the game is so fast and intense that guys are not prepared for the freak accidents that go on in the game all the time, I see no reason to make neck guards mandatory.

It was a freak accident and wont happen again for a while, The renee bourque accident was a coincedence and so was Richard Zednik's. Luckily the medical staff was fast enough to stop the bleeding.
Go to Top of Page

Patchy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
529 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  14:20:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the danger of not wearing one is more rexognized now, after the incident with Zednik...players should be smart enough to protect themselves without a rule like this. However if they don't think it's necessary, they should have the choice not to wear one.

~~Go Leafs Go~~
Go to Top of Page

Guest4544
( )

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  17:22:34  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

As I said in a previous post, these types of injuries occur at the rate of one ever 27,000 games played. The potential for this type of injury to occur is very low.

The other problem with it(which I don't think anyone has talked about yet) is the lack of respect players have for "protected areas." When was the last time a player was concerned about slashing a guy to the shins?? The shin pad was not designed to protect against slashing.

The more protection for the players, the more reckless players will be and more then likely injuries will increase. And from everyone I have seen, it's the media talking about this, not the NHL. Maybe I'm wrong, but as soon as any kind of injury happens, the media cry for changes to equipment.

Here's a question. Brian Berard to a stick to the eye in 2000. Luckily he was able to play again. However, everyone was screaming for manditory visors after that incident. Has there been a serious eye injury to an NHL player since then????

I don't recall.

(PS, Neck guards are not even mandatory for goalies in today's NHL. Considering the much higher chance of a goalie getting a puck in the throat, how often does that happen?? )

isnt once enough
Go to Top of Page

Guest4544
( )

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  17:23:55  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4544

[quote]Originally posted by Beans15

I don't recall.

isnt once enough and if zednik died remember helmets wernt needed until a player died
Go to Top of Page

MSC
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
601 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  19:59:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

A helmet while crossing the street would make pedestrians think you just escaped some psychiatric ward. But a neck guard? You can't even see those things. There is no reason whatsoever why it should NOT be mandatory, name me one.

If you can't even see it how much protection are the offering?
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  20:16:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry MSC but I have to throw this one out.

All hail the infamous Jock Strap

How many of us can see it? Ya, I didn't think so. But as guys, I'm sure you know how much protection it comes to serve. You know what they say ''it's not the size, it's what you do with it that counts''

Go to Top of Page

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  20:48:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

The more protection for the players, the more reckless players will be and more then likely injuries will increase.

My last post of February 12, 2008 is just a complete endorsement of everything Beans says above. Very good points! What do you know, we can agree!

Obviously we would all feel more compelled to make neck protectors mandatory if a terrible tragedy would have resulted last night, but, as cold as this is going to sound, WITH ACCIDENTS (as opposed to a dangerous hit for example) I don't think we should be making all of these types of decisions based on a "what if a tragedy would have occured?" way of thinking. Why? Well, if you take that thinking to its extreme you might as well close down all of the arenas and call it a day because, one way or the other, the sport of hockey, to a certain degree (whether it is 1 in 27,000 or 1 in 37,000 or whatever) is a tragic accident waiting to happen. That's just the way it is when you play a very fast and physical game with skates and sticks.

Oyasumi Nasai (Good Night)!

Go to Top of Page

MSC
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
601 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  21:18:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sorry MSC but I have to throw this one out.

All hail the infamous Jock Strap

How many of us can see it? Ya, I didn't think so. But as guys, I'm sure you know how much protection it comes to serve. You know what they say ''it's not the size, it's what you do with it that counts''

wow...great comparision...that's an identical situation...how could I have missed that...how could I have not noticed that my penis isn't visible through my hockey equipment so therefore the piece of equipment meant to protect it also isn't visible. Which makes it a perfect comparision to my VISIBLE AND EXPOSED neck. Obviously a piece of equipment designed to protect a body part that is visible and exposed would be extremely effective if you can't even see that piece of equipment.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6669
( )

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  23:10:39  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

IITS LIKE SAYING U HAVE TO WEAR A HELMET WHEN CROSSING THE STREET!!! IT SHOULDNT BE MANDATORY AND SHOULD BE THE PLAYERS CHOICE

Why should it be the player's choice??? Is it the construction worker's choice to wear protective equipment?? Hell no, if a construction worker tried that argument he would get fired!
Go to Top of Page

Guest6669
( )

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  23:21:34  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Guest0338

Ask Zednik how comfortable he is. Sure these injuries rarely happen. But who knows how many minor casualties could be avoided? At the price of what, getting used to a little strap around your neck? How long can it take to get used to?

Let me tell you a little story. Jason Spezza has been playing with wood sticks his entire life. The brand he likes is discontinued. This off season he is going to have to make the switch, one that he says will take at least two months two adjust to.

If Jason, one of the best in the league, can do it with a central piece of equipment, then the rest of the players can suck it up and put something around their necks.

You go guy!!! All that "uncomfortable" stuff is hogwash. Apparently getting one's throat slashed, jaw wired shut and eye bloodied is far more comfortable than wearing protection...
Go to Top of Page

Guest6669
( )

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  23:25:27  Reply with Quote
Protection...try that "should be my choice" argument with a woman who expects a guy to wear to wear protection...no soup for you!
Go to Top of Page

Guest4948
( )

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  07:55:37  Reply with Quote
Yes they should be. And why not? They are for kids. Why not set the good example? It's such a minor piece of equipment and not something that would affect play such as a mask or heavier padding.
Go to Top of Page

Guest8332
( )

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  09:42:59  Reply with Quote
so if neck protectors did become mandatory, and a player didn't wear one.. would it be a penalty?? Will there be fines?? Late in the game will a coach call for a "throat check" on a player that doesnt have one??

What if the week after a player got injured by wearing short gloves and had someone skate across his wrist.. make long gloves mandatory??

Maybe baseball pitchers should wear neck protectors..helmets like the catcher. Every season some poor pitcher gets a ball creamed at him/off him and there is potential for serious injury there too.

The same type of rhetoric gets stirred up when a player gets injured in a fight (remember Todd Fedoruk)

You cannot protect everybody all the time. Noone wants to see a serious injury, it is after still a game, but freak accidents will continue to happen no matter what equipment is worn.

my 2 cents.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  10:03:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, a number of points on the past few posts:

1) Yes Andy we can agree. On most things actually. Let's just keep the Great One out of it and we are fine.

2) I hope not too many of you get hurt trying to jump on to the neck guard bandwagon!! I hate to speak badly about a situation like this, but of the 2 year I have been on here talking about hockey, neck guards have come up for goalies but never players. Then this situation happens and all of a sudden tons of people are screaming for neck guards to be mandatory as if it's been their life's passion and work.

3) To those people that think that neck guards should be mandatory.

Take a read through this quote by a Dr. Michael Stuart from the Mayo Clinic in Rochester Minnesota, the chief Medical Officer for Hockey USA, and a member of the safety and protective equipment committee speaking about mandatory neck guards in

"Some (neck guard) do not cover your entire neck. In fact, some vulnerable areas are left uncovered. Some also fear that the skate blade can actually deflect off the protector to more vulnerable areas. So before we recommend a specific neck laceration protector, we'd like to have one that's proven to be effective."

This is the guy who was responsible for facial protection becoming mandatory in the American Hockey League. Above this, the guys son was actually was cut by a skate blade to the neck 11 years ago. He has a vested interest in putting in the proper neck protection, but doesn't think the ones out today do the job. The guy also went on to say that of the 417,000 people they surveyed, the people that seen a neck laceration in hockey said most often the player was wearing neck protection. So what does it really protect?

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/
thrashers/stories/2008/02/11/zednickinjury_0212.html

(you will have to copy and paste it into your browser as the link was too long and made the post too wide!)

4) The comment about the construction worker losing their job over not using Personal Protective Equipment(PPE). You are right, but that equipment is designed and engineered to protect against the COMMON injuries. PPE are used for just that. Hazards are measured using two scales. Severity of the injury Level 1-4 (Level one being fatal, number 4 being minor), and frequency (A being frequent down to E being extremely improbable). Seeing how this skate to the neck think has happened twice in the NHL in 20 years, I would say it's considered A Level 1 (fatal) and E (extremely improbable) If that was the case on the job site, NO ACTION WOULD BE TAKEN!!!

This is a freak and uncommon injury in the NHL. It would be a waste.

Now, if you are going to jump off the bandwagon again, make sure you are wearing you safety equipment. Don't want to see anyone get hurt out there.

Edited by - Beans15 on 02/13/2008 10:14:11
Go to Top of Page

tbar
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
376 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  11:02:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like somebody said in a previous post...if we need to wear neck guards to play hockey you need to wear a helmet to cross the street because everybody that is crying to see neck guards mandatory is a complete retard.

Alex how the hell is a neck guard comparable to a jock?

I don’t wear a neck guard or a mouth guard because I don’t like them my shoulder pads could classified as a t-shirt and my elbow pads are way out dated but it is comfortable and as a HOCKEY PLAYER not a COSTRUCTION WORKER you have the choice in what kind of protective equipment you wear.

Helmets got grandfathered in to the league if I remember correctly. I also think it was the players currently playing in the league at the time had the choice to wear one or not. Plus helmets aren’t really comparable.
Go to Top of Page

PENSFAN8771
Rookie

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  13:36:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think chin guards should also be added. Think about the dangers of a terribly broken jaw. Extreme bleeding (much of it internal), unable to consume solid foods for months, permanent alteration in mastication patterns . . . all of which could be prevented if there was no way a chin could slam off the ice or the edge of the boards.

Yes, I'm being sarcastic. Why put a new piece of equipment in place that will be ineffective in preventing a rare injury. There will still be a place the blade can hit the neck between the shoulder pad and the neck guard and the whole area above the neck guard. How about the whole face? Should full face shields be in place too? Frankly, if this prevents 1 serious injury in 50 years, I don't think it is worth it.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6196
( )

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  15:10:29  Reply with Quote
I guess I will put it out there for all who does not like the neck gaurd due to comfort and restricted mobility.

When they design a neck gaurd that is flawless (from the players themselfs) then who would be in favor of the neck gaurd?

Being told to wear something eg. a seat belt people will always complain and try to fight the rule but everyone always come around (sign of the times) I remember when that law came into affect and people were pissed. I know seatbelts save more lives than a neck gaurd in hockey, but back to the statment at the top of this long winded post if the players themselfs say if and when the neck gaurd in implemented it is flawless, would it be ok for the NHL to make the neck gaurd mandatory gear.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6196
( )

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  15:23:58  Reply with Quote
Just Thinking about the Oiler Captin and what occured last night. Now a neck gaurd would have not saved his eye if the blade would have in fact hit his eye.

If anyone from this site has time on there hands try to invent a way to protect the blade not the body part. Protecting the blade would eliminate all lacerations.

It may be tough but a man has walked on the moon so anything is possible.

Hope someone makes a million from this.
Go to Top of Page

colarox
Top Prospect

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  18:51:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
zednik...poor guy....
its unsafe not to wear....
but bad almost never happens, so they think "wat r the chances- im not gonna wear it"

go thrasher go!
Go to Top of Page

Timay
Rookie

Canada
105 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2008 :  23:12:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

OK, a number of points on the past few posts:

4) The comment about the construction worker losing their job over not using Personal Protective Equipment(PPE). You are right, but that equipment is designed and engineered to protect against the COMMON injuries. PPE are used for just that. Hazards are measured using two scales. Severity of the injury Level 1-4 (Level one being fatal, number 4 being minor), and frequency (A being frequent down to E being extremely improbable). Seeing how this skate to the neck think has happened twice in the NHL in 20 years, I would say it's considered A Level 1 (fatal) and E (extremely improbable) If that was the case on the job site, NO ACTION WOULD BE TAKEN!!!

This is a freak and uncommon injury in the NHL. It would be a waste.

Now, if you are going to jump off the bandwagon again, make sure you are wearing you safety equipment. Don't want to see anyone get hurt out there.

Beans, I love how you explained PPE and the risk factor.. I get that all the time at work (i work in an industrial environment btw). Where I work hard hats are mandatory just like helmets in hockey. Why? Cause if we didn't wear them, there'd be injuries every day, hour, or more. Same as in hockey. When I first started we never had to wear earplugs in my area.. some areas ya, but not mine. Now we have to wear them and it took me a while to get used to, but I'm used to them now. I mean, if they do tests and say we're damaging our ears without them then fine, by all means lets all wear them. It's too bad we didn't have it mandatory before right? What about all the old timers who put in 30 years without them? What's their hearing like after retirement? Same goes for helmets in hockey or goalie masks as well.. too bad that rule wasn't put in years ago.. could've saved alot of serious injuries.

Now where I work, they teach us (or I should say preach to us) that PPE is the last line of defense. It is not something you want to rely on. If there's a reason why a situation is so problematic there are other ways of dealing with it. In hockey, however, there's not a lot you can do to prevent a skate from cutting a guy's neck. It can happen! And it's a very serious injury. But its a "freak" injury. It's so rare. The choice is there to wear neckguards.. but honestly how many people wear visors? Considering the frequency and severity of eye injuries not that many. I think one day that will be implemented, so why not now? Prevent the next Bryan Berard or Al MacInnis or Steve Yzerman from getting a serious injury like that. Those are big names up there and I'm sure there's alot more I can't think of right now. And in no disrespect to Malarchuk or Zednik, the only 2 players I know of to sustain such a terrible injury, but they're not nearly as important to the league as the hall of famers I mentioned before. That doesn't make it any better, but it does pose another question... what if that was the NHL's beloved Crosby who took the blade of a skate through his carotid artery? Would the NHL jump all over the idea of getting mandatory neckguards? I could honestly see that scenario happen. Just like where I work, a serious incident is usually followed by a knee-jerk reaction.

The bottom line though, is these hockey players are all adults. They are aware of the risks they take every time they step on the ice. They know the dangers.. that's why they get paid the big bucks. What's after neck guards? chin guards or full face shields? Goalie masks for all skaters! Extra straps and more cushioning on the helmets to prevent concussions. Bigger pads and not for goalies either. Let's tape pillows around everyone to make sure no one gets hurt out there. C'mon, we're talking about a sport where people pay money to see guys get hit and get into fights. How much is Zednik getting paid this year? About as much as what I'll earn in a lifetime (if i'm lucky). If he comes back to the game without a neck guard on, does it mean he hasn't learned his lesson. No. He's aware of the risks, but also the frequency. It may never happen for another 19 years or til the next time the Leafs win the cup. Hell, it may never happen again. (Neck injuries guys, not Toronto's victory).

Neck guards aren't going to solve the problem anyhow. This is a risk the league and players have to deal with. How about the fact that the medical staff was so quick to respond to the incident. Having those guys in the arena during every game helps alot. Hmm, I think that in itself is better than any neck guard you could mandate. Kudos on the league to prepare itself against these rare, yet horrible accidents.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4631
( )

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  05:43:33  Reply with Quote
Is anyone familiar with the term dignity of risk. I myself am a goaltender I have a neckdeflector and a neck guard and would not play without either however I do beleive in choice and I think the more me take away that right the more we undermine the freedoms we have in this society. I myself don't understand why hockey players don't where cages on their helmets and neck protectors but I respect their right as grown adults to make that choice. As for Heatly's coment about only covering a couple inches I invit him and others that feel that way to cheak out goaltending neckguards. One of the best points I read about this article was that of construction workers and helmets thats a good point but a bit of an exaggeration first of all I know for a fact lots of guys in construction don't use all the safety equipment their supposed to and secondly lets keep this in context alot more people get injured in the construction feild then hockey players get skates in the throat a year. In closing these are grown men who know the risks they take and that the sport they choose to play can be dangerous so give them enough respect to realize they understand this.
Go to Top of Page

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  05:56:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting post Timay.

I have a question guys. Kind of a gruesome example but maybe an extreme gruesome example is needed here to help reinforce the point that freak accidents are going to happen in hockey no matter what.

Let's say a neck protector rule goes into effect. The day after its implimented, a player goes into the corner. Two guys from the other team are battling against him. Somehow the guy loses his balance, ends up flat on his back with his head down for a second, and at that instant one of the other guys in the process of trying to grab the puck literally steps on the guy's throat with all of his weight. Is the neck protector going to stop a tragedy for the guy there? Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think it will (but maybe I am wrong - curious what you guys think).

The chances of that scenario are very low, yes, but it's sort of like 1 in 27,000 vs. 1 in 54,000. So then the question becomes for the benefit of changing the freak accident ratio from something like 2 in 54,000 to 1 in 54,000, what are some of the negatives things that may result from implimenting such a rule (and I think Beans made a very good point about increased recklessness resulting, as it has with wicked whacks to the shins).

Edited by - andyhack on 02/14/2008 06:05:27
Go to Top of Page

Guest8314
( )

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  09:58:21  Reply with Quote
should half face shield become manditory?
Go to Top of Page

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2008 :  17:19:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest8314

should half face shield become manditory?

I think visors should be a def. manditory,
poeple wihtout em iI think are just plain idiots

~~~GO STARS~~~
Go to Top of Page

Guest2900
( )

Posted - 02/15/2008 :  08:50:53  Reply with Quote
I definitely agree with the mandatory visor. The neck guards don't seem that protective as many have said, so I think it would probably be a waste of time to make it mandatory.

A novel idea for NHL thugs. Instead of a major penalty make them skate a couple of shifts with no pads or protection. See how they like getting roughed up.

Before everyone jumps down my throat, this is not a serious suggestion... exactly. Although it is tempting isn't it?
Go to Top of Page

LisaMCanada
Top Prospect

1 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2008 :  14:04:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is no way you can protect every part of every one at every time. Play the game right, look out for your self and your team, and you should be fine. I say if you don't want the risk of getting hurt your in the wrong sport! PLayers should feel free to wear as much or as little protection as they feel they need. In no way are you harming any other player by not wearing one so do what you want! Now if players wanted to start putting spikes on their shoulder pads that would be a different story.....
Go to Top of Page

Guest6491
( )

Posted - 02/16/2008 :  19:41:01  Reply with Quote
i think that the players should be able to decide what they want to do.
wear a neckguard or not.
i still think though that there should not be any neckguards because they don't even protect you so it is just a waste of money.

canucks rule
leafs suck
Go to Top of Page

Guest4631
( )

Posted - 02/17/2008 :  07:46:31  Reply with Quote
I've always thought the half visor was a ok idea but maintain you have to give the players dignity of risk there. I just want to through this out there what about the fighters if you make half visors mandatory guys won't be able to leave helmets on during a fight and you would have alot more cases of guys getting hurt when they hit their heads of the ice. leave the choice to the players
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page