Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Best all around contender Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2008 :  15:51:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
This NHL trade deadline and the weeks leading up to it saw many teams try to fill the holes to stand out from the rest of the contenders. Who is the best all around?

Choices:

San Jose
Anaheim
Dallas
Pittsbrugh
Detroit
Ottawa
Colorado
Other (who?)

Edited by - Alex on 02/26/2008 15:55:04

pensfan17
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
330 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2008 :  15:55:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pittsburgh would be my choice

Maybe a little biased but the got tons of offensive firepower, a solid defence core both offensively and defensively, and potentially two starting goalies, with Conklin on a roll now.

Malkin + Crosby + Hossa = Ownage
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2008 :  16:03:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anaheim has offence (Selanne, Kunitz, Perry, Getzlaf, Bertuzzi...), defnse, obviously (Pronger, Niedermayer, Beaucheman, Bergeron...) and a great goalie. They are looking for a repeat, and they will get it.

San Jose is great, the only thing that gave Anaheim the edge is a) I think JS has much more playoff value in terms of playing under pressure; b) they (Ducks) obviously have experience; c) San Jose can have trouble scoring at times.

Dallas is great, I have no problems with their goalie. But I think that the shake up will hinder more than aid, the chemistry might be all fuzzled with.

Colorado I like, but they aren't so strong on defence or in net. I do like them in terms of goal scoring, and I think vets like Sakic Smyth and Foppa along with a producing Statsny could do well, but the other monsters in the west are too much.

Pittsburgh confuses me, I do not really think they know what direction to go in. They have too many assets for their own good, their goalie situation is going to see a lot of controversy, Fleury has post season nerves of glass and Conklin just has next to no credentials, plus who knows how long the overachieving can last, and how Hossa will affect the chemistry in that locker room.

Ottawa is too inconsistent even in the department where they should be owning, which is with their top three, Alfie Heatley and Spezza. The defence has lapses, and the goalie situation there is just a complete and utter disaster. Stillman won't cut it.

New Jersey could make a push, I like their chances as the best 'team' in the sense that they can play well even with certain players having bad games, so long as it is not Marty, but hey, most playoff teams rely on a good month of hockey from their 'tenders.

Montreal is over. Unless Carey Price plays hero and Kovalev stays hot, and the rest of the inexperienced team continues to overachieve. I think they are a slightly weaker version of New Jersey in terms of the ''team'' concept.

And, last, the moment I dreaded, the Red Wings. Offense is great on paper, but Zetterberg's back is weak, and how long can Holmstrom endure taking whacks night in and night out in the crease. You can be sure that the game plan for any team playing these guys will be to shut down Datsyuk, Zetterberg, and find a way to get the top forwards out against someone other than the top defensive pairing of Lidstrom and Rafalski. Osgood is not the type of goalie that you would think can lead a cup run, but Hasek is getting older by the day.

Final call: Anaheim.

Habs get number 25 this year

Edited by - Alex on 02/26/2008 16:04:33
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page