Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 2008 Calder Trophy Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PhillyFan12
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
399 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  17:15:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Which player do you think will win the Calder Trophy, as the NHL's best rookie?

Choices:

Patrick Kane
Nicklas Backstrom
Carey Price
Jonathan Toews
Other(Who?)

Leafsfan_94
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1070 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2008 :  17:23:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
im goign to have to say toews, kane may have gotten more points(20 moe roughly) but toews is good in every way. and his goal against colorado this year blew me away.

so yeah

toews got my vote

Leafsfan_94

I HATE YOU HABS!

Go to Top of Page

Gostarsgo12
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  08:11:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nick Backstrom. Had great Chemistry with Ovie, an excellent playmaker and Kane was running away with rookie scoring and he quickly caught up and overtook the the lead.

Go Stars
Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  08:27:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carey Price. First he chases the number one goalie out of the city and then puts up stellar numbers as the number 1 goalie. Carey Price should be rookie of the year.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  12:18:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would say Carey Price as well. Absolutely rock solid, great numbers, faced a ton of shots, and is one of the key pieces to a very successful team.

There are also a number of rookies missing from the list. Cogliano, Nillson, Gagner, Mueller, and Hanzel, and Einstrom come right off the top of my head.

There was a fine crop of rookies this season, no doubt about it.
Go to Top of Page

Guest2300
( )

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  12:36:50  Reply with Quote
i said Patrick kane.
Go to Top of Page

Patchy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
529 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  13:37:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would say it's between Price and Kane. Price has done an incredible job so far this year, if he goes far in the playoffs he should get it for sure. Kane however, really has that ability to control plays, and in my opinion, made Toews look better than he should have this year.

~~Go Leafs Go~~
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  15:49:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd say its between Price and Kane .... would have been Toews as well had his health been better this year, I think Price gets the edge being the youngest goalie to acheive 20 wins since Roy and snagging the #1 job from Huet and his stretch run really was amazing. Also his game is of perfection with his rebound control and puck handling aged more then that of himself, you'd swear he wasn't a 20 year old ... also if the Habs go far in the playoffs I think that will seal his ballot as the NHL's Top Rookie
Go to Top of Page

Guest0908
( )

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  17:08:45  Reply with Quote
i said price.. and as for patchy there, they vote for the calder before playoff start so the votes arent biased to rookies who didnt make the playoffs
Go to Top of Page

Bleeding Blue and White
Top Prospect

23 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  19:33:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Price .

~Long Live the Leafs~
Go to Top of Page

Guest2381
( )

Posted - 04/13/2008 :  09:10:01  Reply with Quote
I would give the calder trophy to Kane.
Go to Top of Page

Gostarsgo12
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2008 :  11:53:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya um just to let you know there's an edit post button. Im actully really surprised with all the Price nominations cause its not like he got them into the playoffs nor did he play a miraculous amount of games but I guess if he has an amazing playoffs he'll be worthy.

Go Stars

Edited by - Gostarsgo12 on 04/13/2008 11:55:35
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2008 :  12:06:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Patchy

I would say it's between Price and Kane. Price has done an incredible job so far this year, if he goes far in the playoffs he should get it for sure. Kane however, really has that ability to control plays, and in my opinion, made Toews look better than he should have this year.

~~Go Leafs Go~~

price????? price was in the minors when the canadiens had their best month a got themselves into second place,,???? he did a great job of holding them at the top of the standings but he by no means got them their!!

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

Guest2919
( )

Posted - 04/13/2008 :  12:12:52  Reply with Quote
although gagner and cogliano had a stretch where they had little offensive output, they really turned things up in the last months of the season and carried that oilers team out of the western conference basement, but i still agree it is a little to late in the season for a calder win, but they should still be mentioned
Go to Top of Page

Patchy
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
529 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  16:47:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest0908

i said price.. and as for patchy there, they vote for the calder before playoff start so the votes arent biased to rookies who didnt make the playoffs

Yeah I realize that, I was just putting that into consideration a little bit because I'm not quite sure who should win yet..

~~Go Leafs Go~~
Go to Top of Page

nashvillepreds
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1053 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  17:32:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't even think that Backstrom should be considered for the calder. He got a lot of his assits on helpers that got passed to Ovechkin or to Semin. He did set the two of them up, but he hasn't even compared to the playing abilities of Price or Towes. Kane weas good but no stellar this season. He will mold into an elite player, if he sticks it out.

Ellis or Mason?

Go Preds Go!
Go to Top of Page

Gostarsgo12
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  19:33:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nashvillepreds

I don't even think that Backstrom should be considered for the calder. He got a lot of his assits on helpers that got passed to Ovechkin or to Semin. He did set the two of them up, but he hasn't even compared to the playing abilities of Price or Towes. Kane weas good but no stellar this season. He will mold into an elite player, if he sticks it out.

Ellis or Mason?

Go Preds Go!

Really I saw alot of nice passes where Backstrom would make a long nice pass to Ovechkin and he'd squeak through D or be on breakaway. He's a good playmaker maybe I shouldn't of said calder worth but he'll be a good player for years to come. As for the others Kane didn't really excite me obviously he had a great year but Toews defintly got people on there feet. Price if he has good playoffs should win though.

Go Stars!!!
Go to Top of Page

PhillyFan12
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
399 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  03:08:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kane for sure
Go to Top of Page

Leafsfan_94
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1070 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2008 :  10:31:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i honestly dont think price has a chance for the calder, in my opinion. like sure he had good number faced a few shots made some good saves but.. look how good thee habs played this year. put him on a s*** defensive team liek thel eafs and see hww he does

Leafsfan_94

I HATE YOU HABS!

Go to Top of Page

Guest6573
( )

Posted - 04/18/2008 :  06:27:30  Reply with Quote
The Calder trophy is to be given for the most outstanding performance during the regular season........so you can forget about how well Price does or does not do in the playoffs. Besides, any decent goalie would have helped the Habs to the playoffs. They have a talented and well-balanced team....with some pretty good coaching. Price is a very good Goalie, but not a trophy winner.

Backstrom is a good player, but would not even be receiving consideration if not for his linemate Ovechkin. Did you see him making the hi-lite reels??

Toews was consistently one of the best players on the ice in every game he played. He is - without a doubt - the most outstanding rookie. However, he missed more than 20% of his team's games. He also played hurt in a number of others. This really hurt his chances.

Anyone who saw Kane play - more than a game or two for my Nashville friends - would have seen some of the absolute best passing in the NHL. He repeatedly found a way to thread passes through or around the opposition and get them to his teammates. Unfortunately, he did not have an Ovechkin or Malkin on his line. There were no fewer than 20 times when he hit a linemate with a great pass directly in from of the open side of the net, only to see the other player miss the pass or blow the shot. The only time he was stopped in shootout attempts (twice in 9 times) was when he missed the shot. .....no great stops by the goalies.

Kane should be the Calder Trophy winner
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page