Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Heads Up!
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Rink Stink!
 The Fickle Fan Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic   

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2337 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  15:55:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By The Fourth Line Banger

For my inaugural blog I am not going to talk about the current goings on in the NHL. I’ll save that for the coming weeks and months. What I want to talk about is something that many of us consider the most annoying thing about hockey fans. Those being the Fickle Fans. You know the guy whose team is on a winning streak and they run through the streets screaming like they already have their lips on Lord Stanley’s Mug. These are the guys talking about Phillip Kuba for the Norris as I weave my way through the PickUp Hockey Forums sipping my morning coffee.

For example, the Mighty Oil started the season 4-0-0. Many people, from the common fan to the most knowledgeable guy on the sports radio show, were talking about not only making the playoffs but going deep and winning the Cup. Only two short weeks later, after a 5 game winless streak, people are calling for the coach’s head and the trading of the teams superstars. Obviously the team was going no where. Now, the week-end brought Oiler wins over Carolina and Philly. The star are aligning and by stepping on Columbus on Wednesday and giving a beating to Sid and the Kids in Steel town; BAM, a 4 game win streak. The Cup will be re-postmarked for Edmonton once again.

Why am I talking about the Fickle Fan?? Well, there are two reasons. Firstly, they drive me nuts. The bandwagon jumpers and fans of the hot player annoy me to no end. That guy who put all his money on the Red Wings and cried when they lost a couple of games. Those are the guys I want to slap. They drive me to drink. Well, drink more. However, the second reason is a little more humbling. As my wife so affectionately explained to me this morning in the midst of a near meltdown of the above mentioned Oilers, I am a Fickle Fan. She explained that she can not understand how I can go from cheering wildly for the Oilers to throwing things at the TV and cursing out MacT. Even more confusing to her is how I can show each of these two emotions at least a half a dozen times during a game.

So it’s my sad realization this morning that I am the very fan that annoys me. The very guy that I complain to my friend and co-workers about. Why didn’t anyone tell me before?? Why did it take strength of a 5’ tall, 100 lb woman to tell me I am a Fickle Fan?? Eureka!! ALL TRUE FANS ARE FICKLE FANS!! We all complain in the bad times and cheer in the good times. We are all Fickle. This is what I need to tell myself. If not, it might drive me to drink. Er, should I say, drink more.

See you next week. I will not be able to write until then because I have injured my undisclosed. Might be upper body, might be lower body. Not exact sure what it is or how I hurt it, but I know it’s hurt. Can they remove an undisclosed? Sure hope I can keep mine.

Have an opinion on The Fourth Line Banger's article? Let us know. Just hit reply below and post your thoughts. Anything goes...but keep it clean.
PickupHockey.com is your online hockey community. We're always looking for sharp volunteer writers. If you feel that you'd like to contribute please send us an email at admin at pickuphockey.com
  Previous Topic Topic   
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page