Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Heads Up!
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Rink Stink!
 Minor Hockey Coach Dies After Falling On The Ice. Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2336 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2008 :  22:14:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By The Fourth Line Banger

As it often happens after a serious tragedy, or enough of them, rules change. I am talking about Alberta Minor Hockey’s new rule of Coaches being required to wear helmets while on the ice during practice. The latest tragic event came less than a month ago when Rob Ebbesen, a coach with the Strathmore Bison with decades of experience, fell on the ice during practice. He later succumbed to the head injuries he sustained. Last winter, Troy Williams, another hockey coach, also fell on the ice causing a brain hemorrhage and a fractured skull. These are only a couple examples of these kinds of situations.

I have no issue with coaches having to wear helmets. In fact, I think all Minor Hockey groups in Canada should adopt this rule. Not only does this help protect coaches from serious injuries, it does something so much more than that. This is the example that should be set for all kids.

The kids in minor hockey are learning the game they love from people who are (or should be) passionate about the sport. These coaches are the role models that all of these young people are shaped and molded by. Regardless of whether you are play, coaching, or anything else on the ice, the helmet is there. Is that not the message we should be sending to the NHL superstars of tomorrow??

As tragic as these accidents are, there is something even more disgusting to me about this situation. There was actually one coach somewhere in Alberta that resigned immediately after finding out about the rule. What?? Seriously, who is this moron?? I’d love to find out so I can hit him in the head with a tack hammer!! What kind of “coach” would refuse to wear a piece of protective equipment and provide a positive example for young kids??

On second thought, I’m glad this tool resigned. This is not the kind of guy I would want teaching my kids the game or being a role model. Good riddance.

Have an opinion on The Fourth Line Banger's article? Let us know. Just hit reply below and post your thoughts. Anything goes...but keep it clean.
PickupHockey.com is your online hockey community. We're always looking for sharp volunteer writers. If you feel that you'd like to contribute please send us an email at admin at pickuphockey.com
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page