Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 2009 IIHF World Junior Hockey Championship Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2008 :  10:46:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Aside from Canada, which team has the best chance of winning the 2009 IIHF World Junior Hockey Championship tournament and why?

Choices:

Russia
Finland
Kazakhstan
Latvia
Czech Republic
Germany
Sweden
Slovakia
USA

Guest0463
( )

Posted - 12/24/2008 :  13:20:22  Reply with Quote
obviously canada will win
Go to Top of Page

Leafsfan_94
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1070 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2008 :  13:23:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that wasnt the question...............

quote:
Originally posted by Guest0463

Leafsfan_94

Go to Top of Page

Porkchop73
PickupHockey Pro

640 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2008 :  14:26:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sweden and Russia will definetly bring the challenge for the Canadians. If Canada should falter I think the Swedes will face the Russians for gold with the Swedes winning it. Look for Viktor Hedman and Oskar Moller to lead the Swedes. Nik Filatov to lead the Russkies. Just think how much firepower the Russians would have had if Cheraponov had not tragically passed. He was still eligible. It will not be easy for the Canadian boys!
Go to Top of Page

Guest4943
( )

Posted - 12/24/2008 :  14:39:25  Reply with Quote
Aside from Canada (And yes, they are my pick too), the two teams with the best shot are Sweden and the States.

We have all heard about Victor Hedman as the next Swedish Chris Pronger, and he is definitely going to be a star, but he is not the only weapon by far that the Swedes have. Start in net with Jacob Markstrom who has been having an excellent year in the Swedish elite league and is a potential rookie of the year there. He is being heralded as one of the best keepers in the tourney, for sure. Michael Backlund was one of the team's top point getters last year and he returns along with Oscar Moller who received his release from the L.A. Kings. Magnus Svensson Paajarvi is another dangerous player and one of as many as six potential first rounders the Swedish team has on this year's roster. The Swedes were one of the highest scoring teams in the last WJC and will be explosive once again.

The States will be led again by the dangerous trio of James Van Riemsdyk, Jordan Schroeder, and Colin Wilson. Van Riemsdyk actually led the tournament in scoring last year and is playing his third WJC this season. The U.S. team stacks up as one of the most experienced teams in the tourny and experience is always huge in this tournament. In total there are seven returnees including the stellar Jonathan Blum of the Vancouver Giants, who will captain the team. The goaltenders are both from Major Junior (Thomas McCollum, Guelph and Josh Unice, Kitchener) and should be solid. The U.S. team has played for a medal in each of the last six years but only one two.

To all those World Junior Championship fans out there, enjoy the tourney, and happy holidays!
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2008 :  08:02:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most hockey pundants that I have hear talk or read have said if there is any year that Canada could be taken down, it's this year. Considering the number of players that are Junior eligable playing in the NHL, coupled with the lack of returning players on Team Canada and a question mark in goal, it might be time for the streak to end.

Granted, I am cheering for Canada, I think they might be in tough this year. The Canadian team is smaller than they have been in years which takes away from the usual physical advantage they normally have.

I would say Sweden and Russia are the two best teams in the tourney. A lot of depth and solid coaching on those two teams. Sweden will ice a team that has 2 current 1st round picks and potentially 4 others this year. Hedmen will be either #1 or #2. And the Russians have a good mix of players that are skating in North America and a number who are playing at a high level in Europe.

It should be a great tourney, and if Canada does win, it should go down as one of their best tourney wins.

Go to Top of Page

Guest6293
( )

Posted - 12/26/2008 :  11:56:47  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest0463

yes true but if they all died swedan would dominate OMG they would sock USA in the finals
Go to Top of Page

Guest6293
( )

Posted - 12/26/2008 :  11:57:50  Reply with Quote
and Russia they wont beat the swedes
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2008 :  12:23:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Canada plays the Czech Republic in the opening preliminary round game today (Dec. 26). It will be aired on TSN starting at 7:30 p.m. EST/4:30 p.m. PST.

FYI full tournament schedule/results: http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.php/ci_id/23176/la_id/1.htm
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2008 :  11:39:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Even though those boys aren't as big as in previous years, you hafta think they feel a couple inches taller with Pat Quinn standing behind the bench. It is going to take one HELL of an effort to beat Canada on home turf, so If any country can pull it off they would definatley deserve it. If im betting on anyone besides Canada, im taking Sweden.
Is John Tavares the real deal or what?! This kid is a freakin' dynamo. He may not be a Crosby or Towes but damn he's good. Do whatever it takes Burke!

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Go to Top of Page

Porkchop73
PickupHockey Pro

640 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2008 :  14:19:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agreed Matt_Roberts85, Tavares is showcasing himself quite well, I have seen him play live several times with the Generals but he seems to have picked it up 10X in the first two games of the tourney.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9347
( )

Posted - 12/29/2008 :  15:35:25  Reply with Quote
although Kazakhstan had a poor showing against us I feel they will be able to rebound and win the whole darn shootin match.There coaching staff is going to be there advantage overthe rest of the teams.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6266
( )

Posted - 12/30/2008 :  07:13:36  Reply with Quote
Kahzakstan!! Do you really believe that this team has a chance at winning this tournament?? Who are you people??

I don't even think the stand a chance at scoring there first goal in this series, let alone winning the cup!

Give your collective heads a shake!!
Go to Top of Page

Guest6441
( )

Posted - 01/01/2009 :  16:46:04  Reply with Quote
Canada will definatly win.
Come on.
They are the best.
Beating U.S.A. 7-4.
They were losing 4-0 and came back.
No other team has any chance.
Go to Top of Page

Leafsfan_94
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1070 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2009 :  17:14:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
umm canada beat Kazakhstan 15-0 with pure ease, and the germans beat them 9-0. they are horrible, the only really good player from their in the NHL is Nabokov. and maybe Antropov.

and if any other team has a chance of beating canada, is the Swede's, they're record is the same as canada's. correct me if i am wrong, except for the fact they are in a worse group than canada.

quote:
Originally posted by Guest9347

although Kazakhstan had a poor showing against us I feel they will be able to rebound and win the whole darn shootin match.There coaching staff is going to be there advantage overthe rest of the teams.

Leafsfan_94

Edited by - Leafsfan_94 on 01/01/2009 17:15:48
Go to Top of Page

Hustler90
Top Prospect

Canada
53 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2009 :  17:24:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's gonna go a little something like this:

Canada-Gold
Sweden-Silver
USA-Bronze
Russia-4th

It is close to between Canada,Sweden and USA it is going to be a really intense thing to watch. Canada and USA was a great game, had a little of everything. Actually now that I look at the results I better change my predictions haha. Wow can't beleive USA lost to Slovakia

Canada-Gold
Sweden-Silver
Russia-Bronze
Slovakia-Fourth
Go to Top of Page

Guest8678
( )

Posted - 01/02/2009 :  20:03:21  Reply with Quote
sorry USA is out!!! I would say Russia or Sweden!
Go to Top of Page

Guest8678
( )

Posted - 01/02/2009 :  20:09:09  Reply with Quote
Russia-gold
Canada-silver
Sweden-bronz
Go to Top of Page

Guest4174
( )

Posted - 01/03/2009 :  03:20:14  Reply with Quote
Canada- Gold
Swe- Silver
Rus- Bronze
Go to Top of Page

Hustler90
Top Prospect

Canada
53 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  11:37:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hustler90

It's gonna go a little something like this:

Canada-Gold
Sweden-Silver
USA-Bronze
Russia-4th

It is close to between Canada,Sweden and USA it is going to be a really intense thing to watch. Canada and USA was a great game, had a little of everything. Actually now that I look at the results I better change my predictions haha. Wow can't beleive USA lost to Slovakia

Canada-Gold
Sweden-Silver
Russia-Bronze
Slovakia-Fourth

looks like my predictions were right, once i realized Slovakia had beaten USA
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  21:41:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Leafsfan_94

umm canada beat Kazakhstan 15-0 with pure ease, and the germans beat them 9-0. they are horrible, the only really good player from their in the NHL is Nabokov. and maybe Antropov.

and if any other team has a chance of beating canada, is the Swede's, they're record is the same as canada's. correct me if i am wrong, except for the fact they are in a worse group than canada.

quote:

Leafsfan_94

The Kostitsyns? Maybe even Grabovski ... although I don't like him at all

Chicago Blackhawks GM

Jesus didn't tap.
Go to Top of Page

Leafsfan_94
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1070 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2009 :  04:55:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
they're from kazakhstan??? really???

quote:
Originally posted by Axey

quote:
Originally posted by Leafsfan_94

quote:

Leafsfan_94

The Kostitsyns? Maybe even Grabovski ... although I don't like him at all

Chicago Blackhawks GM

Jesus didn't tap.

Leafsfan_94

Go to Top of Page

MSC
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
601 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2009 :  06:38:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Easy to find out....ya'll have heard of google haven't you?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page