Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Hart Trophy '09 Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2008 :  13:12:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Who should win the Hart Trophy for MVP this season?

Choices:

Ovechkin
Malkin
Crosby
Thomas
Nabokov
Carter
Savard
Kane
Other (who?)

Lunchbox
Top Prospect

Canada
88 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2008 :  15:17:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is always a great debate!

Im kind of leaning towards Ovechkin myself.

For Ovie, the defense on the caps hasnt been stellar (they've allowed more goals than any other playoff team in the east besides Philly) and when he was slumping, the team was not doing nearly as well as they are now, even with Semin and Backstrom doing well. He's been on fire lately and watching a few of their games, the team seems to feed off of his energy. I think since the award is for the player most valuable to his team Ovechkin deserves it. He really lights a fire under his teammates, and I dont think you'd see the same effort if his example of hard work wasnt on the ice.

Its hard to say though, as a lot of Alex's candidates have very valuable players right behind them on their teams in both stats and stature. Ovechkin has Semin and Backstrom, Crosby and Malkin have each other, Carter has Richards, and so on. If you measure an MVP by how much a team worsens by removing that player, its a hard desicion to make.
Go to Top of Page

Reeder17
Rookie

Canada
112 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2009 :  06:52:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shane Doan in Phoenix

This award is not the best player in the NHL it is the most valuable to their team...each of the top teams owe their success to a team effort. The only one that really stood out to me was Doan leading the Coyotes.
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2009 :  10:02:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm going off the map I guess with Iginla, I don't see this team being nearly effective without him. When he gets points their record is supremely better and even when he doesn't get a point he does 100 other 'little' things which end up being huge, whether its going out and fighting or laying the body on a few shifts, to even his defensive play to his team all pumped up. This guy is one of the few players who is known for his scoring but still gets praise even when not scoring. True leader of Calgary, when he is playing good the whole team gets a buzz and does alot better.

Chicago Blackhawks GM

Jesus didn't tap.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2009 :  11:27:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So quickly we lean towards scorers.

Anyone remember a guy named Roberto Lunogo??

How about the fact that when he was in the line up, the Canucks were a top 5 team in the league, top of their divisiion, and won nearly 60% of their games. Since his injury, the Nucks have falled out of the top 10, out of their top spot in their division, and are less than a .500 hockey team?? They only have a 6 point lead on the division cellar dweller (my beloved Oilers) and Edmonton has played 2 fewer games! The other Vancouver goalies with far worse save percentage and GAA playing behind the exact same defensive players??

Seriously, if Luongo comes back in the near future and brings Vancouver back anywhere near where they were before he was injured, the NHL is completely foolish to name anyone but him as the MVP. Such a perfect example of what a team can do with and without one specific players. Only time will tell, but Loungo has the potential to win this in a landslide, in my opinion.

Go to Top of Page

Guest9278
( )

Posted - 01/13/2009 :  12:02:36  Reply with Quote
i hate the bruins with a passion but im going to say tim thomas could be in the voting..... yes he has a good team in front of him but he plays solid every game.... rarely lets a bad goal in and his stats are off the charts.
17 wins
4 loss
3 ot loss
.933 s %
2.08 GA
Yes the bruins have a good team but thomas has made them win just as much as the team gave him some wins
He prolly wont get look at cause its only tim thomas but he deserve tons of credit.
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2009 :  12:14:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The thing that completly takes Thomas out of the running is while he is 17-4-3 and having a great year, his partner in the net Manny Fernandez is also having a stellar year at 14-3-1 so really if Thomas was not there I don't think there would be much of a difference. Now if Savard was not there it might be a different story.
My vote goes to Luongo though for all the reasons Beans previously mentioned.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2009 :  20:56:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was thinking about Luongo, but it is hard to be an MVP when you don't play. If he comes back and is successful, then sure he has my vote but as of today no sir and that is what I judged it on.

Chicago Blackhawks GM

Jesus didn't tap.
Go to Top of Page

MSC
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
601 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  07:11:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm also voting for Iggy. Take him out of the line up and I think you see the same drop off Vancouver had if not more. I guess his only fault right now against Luongo is the fact that he stayed healthy so we don't know what the impact would be. I don't see how you can punish him for NOT missing a quarter of the season.

Go to Top of Page

Guest6786
( )

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  12:12:32  Reply with Quote
If Steve Mason keeps it up and Columbus makes the playoffs. I think its him.
Go to Top of Page

rross
Top Prospect

Canada
58 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  13:56:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll put Patrick Elias' name into the ring. 10 points in his first 16 games. 40 points in the next 26 games. And with Brodeur out, Patrick has really helped the Devils stay in the position they are.

Go Habs Go!!
Go to Top of Page

Thrasher
Rookie

Canada
155 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2009 :  23:59:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love that Kane got mention.
in no way, shape or form do i believe he should win it, but Chicago is looking sick this year. Kane, Toews, Sharp, Havlat, Versteeg, Seabrook and Cambell. New favorite team in the west.
Agree with Iggy tho. Calgary is nothing without him. Roberto, also a good choice, but iggy is far more deserving. The guy is so dedicated to his team, its ridiculus. Ovie wouldn't be bad either...
Go to Top of Page

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2009 :  04:07:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chara should at least be considered. But defencemen hardly ever get considered, let alone win this. And that's too bad.
Go to Top of Page

Thrasher
Rookie

Canada
155 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2009 :  09:33:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andyhack

Chara should at least be considered. But defencemen hardly ever get considered, let alone win this. And that's too bad.

I actually agree with you, Chara should be considered. He is leading his team to the top of the eastern conference. After the last couple years the Bee`s had, who would have thought they would be sitting on top. I dont think he should win it, but considering him would be a good idea
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2009 :  13:01:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thrasher

quote:

I actually agree with you, Chara should be considered. He is leading his team to the top of the eastern conference. After the last couple years the Bee`s had, who would have thought they would be sitting on top. I dont think he should win it, but considering him would be a good idea

I did and I'm a Habs fan
Go to Top of Page

Reeder17
Rookie

Canada
112 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2009 :  13:38:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thrasher

quote:

I think Savard is leading Boston more. Chara is an excellent leader but from Boston I would write in Savard as a candidate.

Crosby is not the Jesus Lord & Savior of the NHL, get over yourself McGuire.
Go to Top of Page

CaliforniaSeal
Top Prospect

Canada
99 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  15:10:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would also vote for Savard. He is leading his team in the east and has been very consistent over the last few years.

No cup for Dino, what a shame
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2009 :  16:33:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Reeder17

Shane Doan in Phoenix

This award is not the best player in the NHL it is the most valuable to their team...each of the top teams owe their success to a team effort. The only one that really stood out to me was Doan leading the Coyotes.

its a shame that only one person has said this,, Doan is deffinetly mvp material and he has been in the past aswell, yet noone cares and noone notices its too bad hes stuck it out in phoneix

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

Reeder17
Rookie

Canada
112 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2009 :  18:20:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pasty7

quote:
Originally posted by Reeder17

Shane Doan in Phoenix

its a shame that only one person has said this,, Doan is deffinetly mvp material and he has been in the past aswell, yet noone cares and noone notices its too bad hes stuck it out in phoneix

Pasty

thank you, I live in Canada but I remember him from the world cup, a great leader. Not to mention look how solid Phoneix is doing under his goal scoring and leadership.

Crosby is not the Jesus Lord & Savior of the NHL, get over yourself McGuire.

Gretzky has never once high-sticked a member of the Toronto Maple Leafs.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page