Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Best Career Total Points Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  06:54:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Which of the top three performers in the NHL today will have the biggest career total POINTS?

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug

Choices:

Alexander Ovechkin
Sidney Crosby
Evgeni Malkin
Write-in: another player under 30 will beat them all

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  07:22:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is a tougher pick than many might think, considering that Ovechkin, whom many (inluding myself) might consider to be the class of the field, plays a much more physical game. These kinds of players tend to have shorter careers due to injuries, but so far so good for Ovie.

Also, for those wondering, I put the "under 30" thing in the write in list to take out players such as Sakic, Jagr, and Iginla, who all have a good chance to get over 1500 points. So, I am sure that some people will pick a Thornton or Kovalchuk

My guess is Ovechkin ends up with the most, getting more career points than Sakic and Jagr, in the 1500 -1600 range.

Go to Top of Page

Guest9278
( )

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  07:40:32  Reply with Quote
Im going to say crosby.... simply because he is Non russian.... there seem to be a trend with russian players that they dont wanna play after a certain amount of time.... i dislike crosby but simply because he is canadian.... he will play with heart for a long time and u just dont know if these russian are going to stop playing or gonna go back to there country after they make millions here. Not saying ovechkin does not have heart he is an exce[ptionnal case but ur never garanteed,,,,, he ake millions here he might decide to go back or take it ez.... Everyone knows canadian rarerly playes for the money..... they play for the love of the game.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6198
( )

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  07:49:21  Reply with Quote
I say Sid, not that the others aren't great, but just that over time his assists are really going to top out and give him points leads. Like Adam Oates. Ovechkin has been better thus far and I would predict him nipping at the Kid's heels. Malkin's numbers will fall off as soon as he's not playing with Crosby. There's no doubt he's good, but he gets a LOT of garbage second assist points where his pass was mheh but the pointman made a great shot or Crosby followed it with a sweet pass.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  08:05:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To Guests 6198 and 9278, brave men that you are:

Put down the glass pipe!

1st point: Malkin has already proven he EXCELS when Crosby is not in the line-up.

2nd point: Malkin rarely plays with Crosby (only when the Pens have been mired in a bad slump), and basicaly only shares icetime on the powerplay.

3rd point: Just because you are Canadian, doesn't mean you automatically have heart (see: Alexander Daigle). I don't mind if you state that you think Crosby has more heart than Ovechkin or Malkin; I would disagree, but that's your opinion. But saying that just because he's Canadian . . . and putting down the Russians - that's borderline racist.

Go to Top of Page

Guest8332
( )

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  08:14:17  Reply with Quote
My guess is either Crosby or Malkin.

In Ovechkin I see Eric Lindros. Highly skilled and very physical. As his career progresses the physical nature will take its toll. Once a massive injury occurs, the edge will be lost. I love Ovie, but his reckless abandon (very fun to watch) will eventually be his long term down fall.

Cros and Malkin are less physical. This gives a greater probability of a long career hence greater ability to rack up the points. Right now I give the edge to Malkin. He is a big body that has yet to suffer any injury. Though his skulky (real or perceived) demeanor gives me hesitation as it appears to be similar to Yashin.

I think Backstrom should be listed as another possibility. Great passing, decent size, good skater and non physical style makes him a good candidate. Also, he will get to play with either Ovie and Semin for a long time. He hasn't put up the explosive numbers like the big 3, but like the fable, slow and steady wins the race.

Two others young guns, Kane and Kopitar look good too.

How about under 25 list? Because Heatley, Spezza, Kovalchuk, Getzlaf, Lecavalier and Savard have more points than those big 3 and they are quite steady 80+ points producer.
Go to Top of Page

Odin
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
350 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  10:00:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

To Guests 6198 and 9278, brave men that you are:

Put down the glass pipe!

1st point: Malkin has already proven he EXCELS when Crosby is not in the line-up.

2nd point: Malkin rarely plays with Crosby (only when the Pens have been mired in a bad slump), and basicaly only shares icetime on the powerplay.

3rd point: Just because you are Canadian, doesn't mean you automatically have heart (see: Alexander Daigle). I don't mind if you state that you think Crosby has more heart than Ovechkin or Malkin; I would disagree, but that's your opinion. But saying that just because he's Canadian . . . and putting down the Russians - that's borderline racist.

I'm guessing you are no fan of Don Cherry?
Go to Top of Page

Guest9278
( )

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  10:58:47  Reply with Quote
Im not racist at all..... Name me one russian other than malkin or crosby who has heart and play the game 100% every game!!!!! I cant name any
I can name you some of the top russian players and they are are a bunch of pansy who plays when they want to.... its just a tradition for them

Kovalchuk (some ppl may argue but just look at the when he played with russia.... was in a league of his own)
Yashin
Jagr
Kovalev
valeri bure
federov
gonchar
afinogenov
samsonov
Radulov
kozlov
Markov (i am a habs fan and yes he is cocky and has talk to the russian media in the past about the nhl and the habs... lost alot of respect)
etc....

There are very few russian who i can think of in hockey IN THE RECENT YRS that played 100% every game ( not counting malkin and ovechkin cause we dont know yet and not counting goalies cause goalies are goalies)

Larionov
pavel bure
datsyuk

Maybe a few mor that i cant even think of on the top of my head but .... all im saying there is a trend! If your blind to see the trend well that not my probem ... its not even an opinion...
I dont think AO will get a trader and go all for the money but i have a feeling that malkin will be another jagr type player. No one knows for sure now and ppl may disagree but that is just my opinion

Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  17:32:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9278

Im not racist at all..... Name me one russian other than malkin or crosby who has heart and play the game 100% every game!!!!! I cant name any
I can name you some of the top russian players and they are are a bunch of pansy who plays when they want to.... its just a tradition for them

Kovalchuk (some ppl may argue but just look at the when he played with russia.... was in a league of his own)
Yashin
Jagr
Kovalev
valeri bure
federov
gonchar
afinogenov
samsonov
Radulov
kozlov
Markov (i am a habs fan and yes he is cocky and has talk to the russian media in the past about the nhl and the habs... lost alot of respect)
etc....

There are very few russian who i can think of in hockey IN THE RECENT YRS that played 100% every game ( not counting malkin and ovechkin cause we dont know yet and not counting goalies cause goalies are goalies)

Larionov
pavel bure
datsyuk

Maybe a few mor that i cant even think of on the top of my head but .... all im saying there is a trend! If your blind to see the trend well that not my probem ... its not even an opinion...
I dont think AO will get a trader and go all for the money but i have a feeling that malkin will be another jagr type player. No one knows for sure now and ppl may disagree but that is just my opinion

I think you mean't Ovie instead of Crosby but if you didn't I can see why .. I kid I kid, but just to point out Jagr is not a russian. As for your opinion I understand what you are trying to say, in the big picture (and wow as I typed that Daniel Alfredsson just said the same thing ['the big picture'] in an interview at intermission on TSN) in all reality, overall, Canadians do have more heart then your average russian.

I'm not saying all russians do not have heart or all Canadians do, because there are russians with heart and Canadians without heart, but in Canada I believe most of the players wihtout heart do not make it to the NHL, due the style of play that makes Canadians successful on ice and in leaders in the dressing room. Notice why alot of Captains are Canadians, even alot not being superstars in the NHL but blue-collar, hard workng guys with heart and leadership.

Chicago Blackhawks GM

Jesus didn't tap.
Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2337 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  18:45:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let's drop the anti-Russian banter and corresponding accusations please. Everyone police themselves here. If we want to talk about the mythical "Russian lack of work-ethic", please go to the forum discussing that. Otherwise let's drop it. Thank you.

http://www.pickuphockey.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2172&SearchTerms=russian,lazy
Go to Top of Page

Guest9278
( )

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  18:52:06  Reply with Quote
I apologize i was just defending my point that someone called me racist...... but as everyone knows its facts.
no more said
Go to Top of Page

Guest5443
( )

Posted - 01/14/2009 :  19:11:45  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest8332
How about under 25 list? Because Heatley, Spezza, Kovalchuk, Getzlaf, Lecavalier and Savard have more points than those big 3 and they are quite steady 80+ points producer.

Umm Getzlaf doesn't have more points in his career than the any of the big 3. His first big year at a whopping 80 something points was last year.

Personally I think Crosby will do it. His style of play is more suited for racking up points in the long run. He was a 100 point player with nobodies around him in his first year so he can do it for a long time to come.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2009 :  07:06:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Responses:
Guest 8332 - you make a few good points here, I definitely forgot about Heatley and Lecavalier, who could easily have longer and healthier careers than our current top three - but it would have to be termed a long shot, for in my mind, at least one of the top three should have a decently long career. To Whit:

player / career points / seasons played
Ovechkin / 367 / 3.5
Malkin / 258 / 2.5
Crosby / 353 / 3.5

Lecavalier / 640 / 9.5
Heatley / 510 / 6.5
Kovalchuk / 509 / 6.5
Spezza / 381 / 5.5
Getzlaf / 232 / 3.5
Savard - 31 years old

I say Heatley and Kovalchuk, if they have a long and fruitful career, could end up with more points than one or two of the big three - but not all three, I just don't see it. Backstrom and Kane are possibilities, but they haven't put up those 100 point seasons yet, so I really don't think so.

Odin - You are correct sir. I hate Don Cherry - he is a racist war-monger, and an asshat in a clownsuit.

Guest 9278 - You are a racist, as you stated openly that you are only choosing one player over another because one is Russian. BTW - besides Ovechkin - Yushkevich, Mogilny, P.Bure, Larionov, S.Zubov, Zherdev, V.Konstantinov, and N. Borschevsky - these guys all had (have) tonnes of "heart". 'nuff said.

Go to Top of Page

Guest9538
( )

Posted - 01/15/2009 :  07:34:16  Reply with Quote
Zherdev has had tons of heart? He was a diva in columbus who held out using all of his skills for columbus because he didn't want to play on a bad team. please don't put Bure and Zherdev on the same list.
Go to Top of Page

ThorntonisTHEMAN
PickupHockey Pro

499 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2009 :  08:04:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
K, I am absolutely amazed that there is anyone that will say that Crosby has more heart than Ovechkin. Have you ever seen Ovechkin play? He is all heart! And as for the injury thing, so far Ovechkin has never been hurt. Crosby, on the other hand, has already been hurt multiple times in his young career. (Just got hurt again last night I believe) Yes, Ovechkin plays a much more physical game than Crosby, but he also has the speed and strength to do it. Therefore my vote is with Ovechkin.

p.s. Slozo you forgot to mention Anton Volchenkov as a Russian with heart. The guy is one of the leading shot blockers in the league year after year and is one of the hardest working players I've seen.

"I'm not dumb enough to be a goalie."
Brett Hull.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9278
( )

Posted - 01/15/2009 :  08:45:34  Reply with Quote
I said ovechkin is an exception...
and most guys u mention didnt have long career in the nhl and some i dont even know so i dont know how u can say that..... i was referring to the topic of who will have more point. Zherdev plays with 0 heart u are insane to mention him. Molginy was a drama at times with the canucks (i use to follow the canuck very closely).And i did mention larionov was an exception with a long career! THE TOPIC IS WHO WILL HAVE MORE POINTS! ARE ANY OF THESE GUYS THAT U MENTION EVEN CLOSE? ARE ANY RUSSIAN EVEN CLOSE? my point exactly referring to the question the trend is russian dont tend tyo have alot of point. most russian who plays with heart plays in russia or in europe or w/e most thr life and also for there country
a
Go to Top of Page

Guest9278
( )

Posted - 01/15/2009 :  08:47:42  Reply with Quote
and zuboc could be considered.... but yet he is a defensemen that will not challenge for most career total point.
Go to Top of Page

Guest8332
( )

Posted - 01/15/2009 :  08:58:39  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ThorntonisTHEMAN

Yes, Ovechkin plays a much more physical game than Crosby, but he also has the speed and strength to do it. Therefore my vote is with Ovechkin.

That's what was said about Lindros. He is too big, too strong and too fast to get hurt. Remember, Lindros is/was physically bigger and stronger than Ovechkin and he is about as fast.
Go to Top of Page

Avalanche_17
Top Prospect

Canada
27 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2009 :  13:43:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Crosby will, and trust me not because I am a fan of him. The only reason is Crosby and Ovechkin are around the same currently for points yet Crosby has been in the NHL for a shorter time and is younger.
Go to Top of Page

ThorntonisTHEMAN
PickupHockey Pro

499 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2009 :  16:30:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Avalanche_17

The only reason is Crosby and Ovechkin are around the same currently for points yet Crosby has been in the NHL for a shorter time and is younger.

Check your stats, friend. They have both been playing for the same amound of time. Yes, Crosby is 2 years younger but they have both been playing the same amount of time.

Brett Hull.
Go to Top of Page

Reeder17
Rookie

Canada
112 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2009 :  17:44:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Avalanche_17

The only reason is Crosby and Ovechkin are around the same currently for points yet Crosby has been in the NHL for a shorter time and is younger.

Check your stats, friend. They have both been playing for the same amound of time. Yes, Crosby is 2 years younger but they have both been playing the same amount of time.

Brett Hull.

Don't be so quick to judge and throw out wrong stats..friend. Crosby has played at least 40 less games. Same amount of years but Games Played is a big part of career points.

Crosby is not the Jesus Lord & Savior of the NHL, get over yourself McGuire.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2009 :  06:52:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guest 9278 - You're cut off! lol Just don't hide your booze in the underwear drawer, kid - your mom will always look there first!

Thorntonis the man - good pick, yeah, Volchenkov, he is one solid, hard-working defenceman. But really, I was quickly typing players off the top of my head to try and educate, so I know I forgot a few. And it is off topic, so I won't go on about it further.

But one more thing to agree with you about - how anyone can say Crosby has more heart than Ovechkin is beyond my realm of comprehension. Even though Crosby is Canadian and is promoted as the Next One, taking a look at ten random utube videos for each wil explain it all. Heck, I think everyone, right now, should do it: For both Crosby and Ovechkin, type in greatest goal or best game or amazing, and watch the first ten videos for each.

Go to Top of Page

ThorntonisTHEMAN
PickupHockey Pro

499 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2009 :  10:45:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Reeder17

Don't be so quick to judge and throw out wrong stats..friend. Crosby has played at least 40 less games. Same amount of years but Games Played is a big part of career points.

Crosby is not the Jesus Lord & Savior of the NHL, get over yourself McGuire.
[/quote]

why silly me. Crosy has played in 30 less games. Crosby's PPG is 1.368 and Ovechkin is 1.274. Crosby has a .094 higher PPG. Crosby has had some injury trouble already. Ovechkin has missed 2 games because of his grandfather's health. I'm taking Ovechkin. And comparing Ovechkin to Lindros in ANY way is like spitting in the face of Ovechkin. Lindros was a whiner, a complainer, a snotty-nosed jerk, and did not care about the game of hockey. Yes, Ovechkin plays a much higher intensity game than Crosby but I believe he will end up with more career points on heart alone if nothing else.

Brett Hull.
Go to Top of Page

Guest5443
( )

Posted - 01/16/2009 :  12:25:52  Reply with Quote
quote:
And comparing Ovechkin to Lindros in ANY way is like spitting in the face of Ovechkin. Lindros was a whiner, a complainer, a snotty-nosed jerk, and did not care about the game of hockey. Yes, Ovechkin plays a much higher intensity game than Crosby but I believe he will end up with more career points on heart alone if nothing else.

The comparo is playing style not personality. It is actually a very high compliment to say that Ovechkin plays like Lindros. For a few years there in the 90s he was dominant. That Legion of Doom line that he anchored was scary good.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page