Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey History
 Roy on the '70s Habs Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2009 :  17:15:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
With the same equipment as Ken Dryden, would Patrick Roy have had a lower or a higher GAA than Ken Dryden if Patrick Roy had been the Habs goalie in the 1970s?

Choices:

Lower GAA than Dryden
Higher GAA than Dryden

Guest9487
( )

Posted - 03/15/2009 :  16:10:22  Reply with Quote
I voted Dryden, simply because Roy's tendency was not necessarily have the best GAA, but to do what it took to win. If his team was regularly scoring 6 goals a night (as the 70s Habs were), Roy would let in 3-4 goals on a regular basis, simply because it didn't matter to the team.

But put Roy and Dryden in a 0-0 overtime playoff game, and I'd take Roy every time.
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2009 :  20:46:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I voted less but now that I think about it I'm not so sure. Some goalies thrive on more shots. The thing that made Dryden special was the fact that he was able to make the big saves when necessary even after not being involved in the action for large portions of the game. The team in front of him were so good that when he faced a shot he was almost as cold as the goalie sitting on the bench. But he'd still make the save.

"Society, have mercy on me. Hope you're not angry if I disagree." - Jerry Hannan
Go to Top of Page

Odin
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
350 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2009 :  07:51:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Willis,

Actually, Roy had the exact same ability.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2009 :  10:26:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will be very upfront about the fact that I have only seen a limited number of games from the 70's and I don't recall watching much of Dryden at all. The point I make is on Patrick Roy exclusively.

There are a few things that I consider in this. Firstly, Patrick might not have been the first "buttery-fly" style goaltender, but he was one of the early one's and when he came on the scene, it was still very much a stand-up goaltender era. The buttery-fly style alone tends to have a lower GAA and better save percentage over the stand up style.

Above this, the goalie equipment being used through the 80's was not significantly different than the equipment used in the 70's. So Roy's play in the middle to late 80's would have been indicative to what he play would have been in the 70's.

That being said, I would have to think that Roy would have been a stand out goalie in the 70's as he was in the 80's and that his buttery-fly style would have been more productive than most any stand up goalie style. And from looking on paper, comparing those 70's Canadiens teams to those that Roy played with in the 80's and 90's is like comparing a Ford Focus to a Ferarri.

As objectively as I can state, I think Roy would have been brilliant in net for those Habs teams. But at the same time, many other goalies could have done the same.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page