Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Superstitious NHL Players Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gusteroni
Rookie

Canada
225 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2009 :  11:35:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well as most of you probably witnessed last night, Crosby and his teammates touched the Prince of Wales Trophy and carried it off the ice after refusing to touch it last year. He said he wanted to "change it up from last year". Crosby, one of the most superstitious players in the NHL probably thought that not touching the Wales trophy didn't help the Pens win "the trophy they wanted" last year so why not try something different.

There are many players with bizarre superstitions or certain rituals they perform for mental preperation and I'm interested to find out any quirky examples you might have.

For instance, Patrick Roy would regularly talk to his posts during a game. When he was asked about it, he said “They are my friends.” Also, during the pre-game warm up, he would skate to blue line, look at his net, and envision it shrinking. He would also never step on the blue lines or red line.

"There are only two seasons in Canada...hockey season and not hockey season."

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2009 :  12:43:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really enjoyed watching Crosby and Co. break that silly tradition.
It gives meaning to the trophy when you recognize it as a big acheivement by at least touching it. It was cool to see the captains pose for a picture together and this could very well end up as something teams do all the time. only if the pens win it all though...

Crosby the trend setter, if they win the cup this will be something that is talked about for years.

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Go to Top of Page

Guest6196
( )

Posted - 05/27/2009 :  13:21:31  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Roberts85

I really enjoyed watching Crosby and Co. break that silly tradition.
It gives meaning to the trophy when you recognize it as a big acheivement by at least touching it. It was cool to see the captains pose for a picture together and this could very well end up as something teams do all the time. only if the pens win it all though...

Crosby the trend setter, if they win the cup this will be something that is talked about for years.

Well said. I agree
Go to Top of Page

Guest7538
( )

Posted - 05/27/2009 :  14:41:22  Reply with Quote
I think it was great that he grabbed it and skated away with it. I think its awesome that they took their picture with it. After all.....better to carry at least one trophy than none at all!!!

GO REDWINGS
Go to Top of Page

Gusteroni
Rookie

Canada
225 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2009 :  14:59:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce Gardiner, when playing with the Senators would dip the blade of his stick in the locker room toilet. After going several games without a point, he asked Tom Chorske for advice. Chorske told Gardiner he was treating his stick too well and needed to teach the wood to respect him by dunking it in the toilet. Although Gardiner was skeptical, after his cold streak lasted a few more games, he took Chorske’s advice. He then got hot and started scoring, and he kept on hitting the bathroom before games. As he told NHL.com in 2007, “You tape it, you dunk it, and you don’t touch it. I’d do anything for a couple of goals.”

Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2009 :  15:08:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about the not having an injured player on the bench one. I remember when the media and fans got pissy when Hasek sat on the bench during Ottawa's playoff run in 2005-6 and everyone blamed him for the series loss to Buffalo. They said an injured player who could not contribute was a distraction for the team having him there, if he was or wasn't ready to play, made Emery lose confidence.

I took me 4 years to look at Hasek objectively after that. Great goalie, but I wanted to tear his head off.
Go to Top of Page

Gusteroni
Rookie

Canada
225 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2009 :  13:33:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apparently Zetterberg has the stupid superstition of not touching the Clarence S. Campbell Bowl. I am not a fan of this, winning that cup, not to mention two years in a row is quite an accomplishment and it should be celebrated. I understand the "it's not the one we want" mentality but you just beat out 14 other teams for it and that isn't easy. From a fan point of view I want to see you celebrate it, I'm not talking about champagne and a victory lap here but it would be nice if they would pick the trophy up and show it to the crowd. I give Crosby kudos for doing that and breaking the trend. Here are a few examples thanks to ESPN.

1991 Wales Conference finals: On May 11, the Penguins advanced to the Stanley Cup finals for the first time in team history after beating the Bruins in six games. Penguins captain Mario Lemieux picked up the Prince of Wales Trophy and skated around with it. Pittsburgh went on to win the Stanley Cup, beating the Minnesota North Stars in six games.

1997 Western Conference finals: On May 26, the Detroit Red Wings advanced to their second Stanley Cup final in three seasons after beating the rival Colorado Avalanche in six games. After the post-series handshake, Wings captain Steve Yzerman picked up the Campbell Trophy. The Red Wings went on to sweep the Philadelphia Flyers to win the Stanley Cup.

2000 Eastern Conference finals: On May 26, the Devils rallied from a 3-1 series deficit to beat the Flyers 2-1 in the decisive Game 7. Despite captain Scott Stevens picking up the Prince of Wales Trophy, the Devils went on to win the Cup in six games over the Dallas Stars.

2003 Eastern Conference finals: On May 23, the Devils ousted the Senators in seven games to advance to the Cup finals. Stevens again touched and carried the Wales Trophy, and the team took a picture with it. New Jersey went on to win the Cup.

Edited by - Gusteroni on 05/28/2009 13:48:23
Go to Top of Page

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2009 :  13:43:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Felix Potvin before every game did the catholic beginning of prayer with his stick hand. And he would always jump over the blue lines
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2009 :  19:51:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the research, Gusteroni.
It's weird, but even though I watched all that hockey, I only remember Mario skating around with it, even the announcers and others giving him the stink eye for doing it . . . of course, never mentioned after they won, but they would have harped on and on about it if they hadn't.

I was very glad to see Crosby take the initiative as well . . . I have to admit, I am really coming around to him, the kid is a leader.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2009 :  20:19:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
THN’s Top 10 hockey superstitions:

10. Tape two
As the most important instrument in all of hockeydom, the stick has been doctored and babied for decades. With the coming of composite sticks, the doctoring has slowed. But players still insist on taping their sticks in a specific manner.

9. The cookie toss
Glenn Hall is one of the NHL’s all-time greatest goalies; 502 consecutive games in an era before goalie masks were the norm, three Vezina Trophies, 407 wins. But Hall vomited before every game and believed he’d lose if didn’t.

8. The march
On every team, there’s an order to which players leave the dressing room for the ice; whether it’s the captain first, the starting goalie last or a veteran tapping each player with his stick, it happens the same way every game.

7. Gearing up
Every player has his own rhyme and reason for the seemingly random practice. Do it just so or start all over.

6. One final stop
The legendary Ken Dryden would never leave the net during warmup until he had made one final save. But playing for the powerhouse Canadiens in the 1970s meant that was not always easy. Larry Robinson picked up on it and took to making sure Dryden had an easy one to stop if the goalie was having problems. But Dryden figured Robinson out and began to work even harder to make that final save before Robinson lobbed an easy one his way.

5. OK, but it’ll cost you a buck
At the 2002 Salt Lake Olympics, Canada won men’s hockey gold for the first time since 1952. And at center ice was buried a Canadian one-dollar coin. Burying a ‘loonie’ at center ice for international competitions has since become a superstition, albeit one other countries are not overly enthralled with.

4. The tobacco toss
In no way are we advocating smoking – not that you could now in most arenas anyway – but there were few more masculine-looking superstitions than Stan Mikita tossing his cigarette over his left shoulder as he exited the tunnel for the ice at the old Chicago Stadium.

3. Conversing with iron
Goalies are weird. Period. And Patrick Roy is one of the weirdest in recent memory. He had a number of superstitions, including carrying on running conversations with every goalie’s best on-ice friends, the goal posts.

2. Grow baby, grow
It’s believed the Islanders began the playoff beard superstition during their Stanley Cup run in the 1980s. It worked, too. They won four Cups in four years, the last in 1983.

1. Don’t touch that
There’s only one trophy teams want. And to touch another en route to the Cup is anathema until (gasp!) this year. We’ll know soon if this superstition is proven false.

..Also during Boston games, you will always notice Savard biting, kissing or talking to his stick, ahah it's actually amusing
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2009 :  20:23:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tons of interesting supersitions.

Personally, I agree with not taking the Price of Wales of the Clarence Campbell trophy. That's not the goal, it's a pit stop. Now, I don't think there is a jinx in touching it. But leaving it there for someone to send to your team later is fine.

Most players reputations are some what built on Cup Rings, not Campbell Bowls or Wales Trophies. It's an award that should be given at the NHL Award Ceremony.
Go to Top of Page

Gusteroni
Rookie

Canada
225 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2009 :  11:29:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Tons of interesting supersitions.

Personally, I agree with not taking the Price of Wales of the Clarence Campbell trophy. That's not the goal, it's a pit stop. Now, I don't think there is a jinx in touching it. But leaving it there for someone to send to your team later is fine.

Most players reputations are some what built on Cup Rings, not Campbell Bowls or Wales Trophies. It's an award that should be given at the NHL Award Ceremony.

That is a great idea and I think then at least it could be celebrated if your team lost in the finals. I know they always have a ceremony in the beginning of the next season too and I guess that is the one for the fans.

Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2009 :  13:06:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good idea, they should just end the conference finals with the classic handshake and leave the award stuff untill the off season, and the banner raising the next year. there really should only be 2 awards given on ice, the cup and the conne smythe

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page