Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Detroit 2009-10 Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2009 :  12:56:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is Detroit gonna be able to able to resign or replace with 5-6 million of cap space. Hossa, Samuelson, Kopecky, Hudler, Chelios and Conklin all free agents. Will this team be able to compete without these key players and no room mid season to tweek the lineup.

Gusteroni
Rookie

Canada
225 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2009 :  13:01:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chelios should be about ready to retire. Detroit has a heck of a scouting staff so even if all those guys are gone I would not be worried because the core is still intact and they will surely bring in a few more of their European wonders.

"There are only two seasons in Canada...hockey season and not hockey season."
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2009 :  13:16:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hossa, who knows, I wouldnt be surprised to see Holland work out a Franzen/Zetterberg type deal where he gets big money over long term, but the last couple years of the deal are 1mil per season so it drops the cap hit down.

If they lose Samuelson and Hudler, they have Abdekader (sp?) and Ville Lenio ready to step into full time roles with the club.

Chelios and Conklin are probably gone... Conklin could stay if he takes 450 000..

I think Holland has to decide if he wants to give 5-6 mill of cap space to Hossa, or divide that space between Hudler and Samuelson. Personally, I think they maintain their depth if they keep Hudler and Samuelson. They seem to have excellent chemistry with Fillpula.

They won a cup with those two and without hossa already...

Kopecky could be an odd man out..

I'd like to hear what Beans thinks about this...

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Go to Top of Page

Sensfan101
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
500 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2009 :  14:09:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I heard Conklin is gone for sure and their backup will be some guy from the minors anybody have his name? I also heard Hossa will likely resign.

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take Wayne Gretzky

Edited by - Sensfan101 on 05/28/2009 14:09:18
Go to Top of Page

hockster
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2009 :  14:37:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No chance Hossa is coming back.
They will resign either hudler or samuelsson
I could see Helm playing in the NHL and they have great depth in the minors, many NHL ready players...chances are they will keep it up and draft and develop many more great players that like the whole team won't make mistakes while on the ice.

Their good young farm team goalie is howard.

Iginla for 2010 team captain.
Flames for cup...eventually.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2009 :  19:09:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Umm, well this is interesting because I really don't know the Detroit farm system very well. If they win the Cup, Hossa stays for reasonably cheap. Conklin is gone. He's about as talented as a bag of pucks anyways and it no big lose. I think Hudler will leave, but not because I think he should. He will be the biggest lose to the team but I think he wants to get paid. Plus, he'll have 2 Rings by the off season, time to get paid. The other, honestly, can be replaced reasonably with prospects.

Hossa, Datsuyk, Zetterberg, Lidstrom, Rafalski, Franzen. Does the rest really matter much? You can build around that core for years to come.

I think Detroit might take a step back next year, but they will still be one of the best in the league.
Go to Top of Page

Rambo2305
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
546 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2009 :  05:09:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One factor that people forget, they have 5-6 Million in cap space NOW...so once the current contracts expire on July 1st, they'll have all the space from the expired contracts. So pretty much leaving them with enough room to re-sign everyone...

Chris Osgood - 08/09
26W-9L-8OTL, 3.09 GAA, .887 S%, 2 SO

Ty Conklin - 08/09
25W-11L-2OTL, 2.51 GAA, .909 S%, 6 SO

If the Wings don't keep Conklin, he'll be a starter somewhere else. Then the Wings will be looking for a golaie on deadline day next year. Ozzie works better in a platoon situation, not as a #1, at least not at this age...

"Most people spend time and energy going around problems, rather than trying to solve them" - Henry Ford
Go to Top of Page

Rambo2305
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
546 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2009 :  05:11:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Conklin is gone. He's about as talented as a bag of pucks anyways and it no big lose.

Chris Osgood - 08/09
26-9-8, 3.09 GAA, .887 S%, 2 SO

Ty Conklin - 08/09
25-11-2, 2.51 GAA, .909 S%, 6 SO

"Most people spend time and energy going around problems, rather than trying to solve them" - Henry Ford
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2009 :  07:21:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beans must have a very talented bag of pucks to beat Conklin's numbers . . .

Hossa may go, or resign cheaper if they win this year. Samuelsson will be resigned most likely. Kopecky I would not call a "key player", Hudler may stay for cheap or leave, Chelios should be in a retirement home and is cheap to replace, and Conklin can be resigned for surprisingly cheap I think.

Plus, Detroit has a ton of young talent waiting to possibly break out into a solid NHL career or in the process of doing so - Ericsson (D), Meech (D), Leino, Abdelkader, Helm, Howard (G), Kindl (D), Lebda. I see one or two of these guys becoming full time regulars in the next two years (Abdelkader and Ericsson have had a solid playoffs), alongside already regular players Helm and Lebda.

This organisation is just a well-run machine, folks. Every GM in the league should be taking notes to replicate this formula for success.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2009 :  08:30:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Slozo, my bag of pucks is better than Conklin. It might be a bit of bitterness as he played like a complete moron in Edmonton. He is a legitimate, bonified #2 goalie. He can carry the load for a while, but he's not a number #1. And, he has done nothing in his career in the playoffs. In all 6 minutes played!!

It might be a little pride talking, but I have never liked the guy. Always overrated in my eyes.
Go to Top of Page

Guest2269
( )

Posted - 05/29/2009 :  08:38:16  Reply with Quote
Hey Sensfan101 the goalie in the minors is Howard.
Anyways Conklin I think will go to either the flames who need a good backup or back to the pens. Also Hossa will probably want that money that pens offerd him last summer for 6 years or he will go to a team that is rebuilding like TO or Montreal. Hudler and Sam stay there is no questions there its just they way they play and ya They have a cup ring. So this is what I think will happen.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2009 :  10:22:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest2269

Hey Sensfan101 the goalie in the minors is Howard.
Anyways Conklin I think will go to either the flames who need a good backup or back to the pens. Also Hossa will probably want that money that pens offerd him last summer for 6 years or he will go to a team that is rebuilding like TO or Montreal. Hudler and Sam stay there is no questions there its just they way they play and ya They have a cup ring. So this is what I think will happen.

Agreed. This would be the smart move. But I'd be tempted to trade out a player to make room for Hossa. He will play there for less. Howard is suppose to be a good goalie, so Conklin is gone.

Cap space I quoted is for next year at 5-6, not this year.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2009 :  11:10:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hossa has already said he wants to stay in Detroit. I guess winning does that to people.

However, one team that I think Hossa would go to if he left is Los Angeles. They have a ton of room under the cap and have quitely stayed on the bottom of the league, building through drafts. They are ready to break out with just one or two pieces.

Mark my words. LA is a powerhouse if not season, the season after for sure.
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2009 :  13:18:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the thought of LA being a powerhouse scares me.... another southern based powerhouse. Why do the 3 teams in california all have awesome clubs yet the 3 up in easten canada cant even get their heads outta their asses.... f*** man.

Its a sad day when Anaheim, La and San Jose are way better hockey teams than Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto....

Go to Top of Page

Guest8571
( )

Posted - 05/29/2009 :  13:47:36  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Roberts85

the thought of LA being a powerhouse scares me.... another southern based powerhouse. Why do the 3 teams in california all have awesome clubs yet the 3 up in easten canada cant even get their heads outta their asses.... f*** man.

Its a sad day when Anaheim, La and San Jose are way better hockey teams than Montreal, Ottawa and Toronto....

Sad Day!!!! but who cares... we are the moron idiots from eastern canada... We honestly suck at hockey...so our NHL teams do too...
Hey i just love the game even though us easterners have no hockey knowledge or skills
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2009 :  07:51:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest8571

quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Roberts85

Sad Day!!!! but who cares... we are the moron idiots from eastern canada... We honestly suck at hockey...so our NHL teams do too...
Hey i just love the game even though us easterners have no hockey knowledge or skills

wtf are you talking about...? are you being sarcastic or something..?

Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2009 :  18:43:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now that we know Detroit finished #2, do you still feel they are gonna sign the depth players and miss out on signing an impact free-agent. Reminder, this team only has 5-6 million left to play with.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2009 :  04:49:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't see Hossa back in Detroit. Quite frankly, he didn't come up big when they needed him, and now he has the incredible distinction of being on the losing team two years in a row on teams that met twice in a row in the finals.

Detroit still has lots of cap space from what I understand, and it's hard at this point not see the possibility of a third meeting in the finals with Pittsburgh. The young kids, especially Lebda, Ericsson, Helm - they really impressed me.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page