Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Chris Pronger has been traded to the LA Kings Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2009 :  12:03:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ANAHEIM sends

Chris Pronger

to

LA KINGS for

Jack Johnson
1st pick (5th overall)

wow

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".

Edited by - Matt_Roberts85 on 06/12/2009 12:04:51

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2009 :  12:07:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you could produce a reputable source it would be great. I can't find this on TSN, NHL, or any other search I do.

Link please???

Also, I was of the understanding that all trades were frozen between the trade deadline and the end of the Finals. Re-signing players is one thing, but I didn't think trades were allowed until after the Cup winner is decided.

I would be shocked if LA did this. Seriously, a young blue chip d-man and a 1st round draft pick for a player in his late 30's who only has one more year on his contract.

An amazing deal for Anaheim, but I think LA would be complete morons to make this deal.

Edited by - Beans15 on 06/12/2009 12:12:39
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2009 :  12:12:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FAN 590 in Toronto just announced it as I was logging in. I guarantee it will be on those sites soon.

unless it was some sort of sick joke....but its not april...is it?

Edited by - Matt_Roberts85 on 06/12/2009 12:21:56
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2009 :  12:22:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
here it is beans

http://my.thescore.com/nhlrumours/archive/2009/06/12/ducks-trade-pronger-to-la-kings-for-d-jack-johnson-5th-pick.aspx

Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2009 :  12:40:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beans: Thats a myth, teams who arent in the playoffs are allowed to make deals. It has happened before, but it is very rare. Also, Emerys signing isnt official until July 1.

Also, to your point, I agree. LA are MORONS. what a steal by the Ducks. I guess Lombardi wants a vet for the kids to look up to... long term it will hurt them though..

Edited by - Matt_Roberts85 on 06/12/2009 12:42:15
Go to Top of Page

lyall
PickupHockey Pro

360 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2009 :  12:49:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apparently it's not true.
http://www.insidesocal.com/kings/2009/06/johnson-rumors.html
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2009 :  13:02:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
heh.... the score has lost its credability it its not true... Steve Ludziak is pretty respected, i doubt he would report this without knowing for sure

apparently the kings are denying the rumour. some beleive that the nhl and the major outlets (tsn, sportsnet) are waiting until tonights game is over to confirm the deal. they dont want it stealing the spotlight... we shall see i guess...

Edited by - Matt_Roberts85 on 06/12/2009 13:10:30
Go to Top of Page

tbar
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
376 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2009 :  13:22:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I sure hope its not true. I am looking forward to watching that young LA team in a few seasons. If they keep the young guys around they'll be a force in a couple seasons. And if LA wanted a vet to come in and help a young guy dont you think they would want to keep Jhonson and let him learn from a Pronger like D-Man.
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2009 :  13:49:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
not sure, but Doughty is the main man there for the future. Maybe they knew they would have to give Doughty and Johnson big time money in a couple seasons and they went with Doughty instead.

It is an awfully lot to give up for pronger though.... i wouldnt be surprised to find out that they at least swapped 1st round picks..

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2009 :  05:48:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many have been burnt by such things before. My rule of thumb is that if it isn't on NHL.com or TSN.ca or has the word "rumor" in it, be careful.

However, I also heard the rumors yesterday that Johnson was being shopped around in a package. I guess they are trying to avoid the big paychecks on both Johnson and Doughty in the coming years.
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2009 :  08:41:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is ridiculous for LA to do, talk about 2 steps backwards. Yes, Pronger is good but he only has so many years left and Johnson is just starting his career and a first rounder? I hope it isn't true for LA's sake, but what a trade it would be for the Ducks.

I agree with Tbar, I've also stated before that LA is going to be a solid team in a few years, definitely shouldn't trade away the wealth.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2009 :  09:04:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not really surprised to see Johnson on the block. Honestly, how many #1 defensemen can a team have and be competative?? It's rare in the NHL and more often than not a team that wants that much depth in the blue line sacrifices up front. Detroit the only real notable acception. But look at Anaheim? Both Neidermayer and Pronger cost them around $12 million a season. Hence them really only having 2ish lines of quality forwards.

LA has depth at the D end. Let's not forget that outside of Jack Johnson they have Doughty, Hickie, and Teubert from the last 2 drafts alone! Let's not forget Kyle Quincey who had a fine season last year.

LA is in the time to move. They have young depth at pretty much ever position and the most money under the cap of any team in the NHL. Plus, they have a top 5 draft pick this year who looks to be a sure thing in Matt Duchene. They are in the drivers seat.

I just think that they will be going after a guy with a bit more longevity than Pronger at this stage. Pronger only has one more contract in him and he is hitting the twilight of his career. Don't get me wrong, he's still a #1-#2 defenseman on any team in the NHL. But there are other #1-#2 defensemen out there (if that's what LA is looking for) with a little more tread left on the tires.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2009 :  09:12:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pronger has had point a game playoffs on his resume and his career 2/3 point per game since leaving St louis. 6.4, Massive shot, good skater tonnes of post season experience (leadership quality's) and he's only 34 years old. Only downside I can see with Pronger is a quick temper and makes some undisciplined plays. He only left Edmonton when his wife demanded him trade out of Edmonton. I heard rumour why but would prefer someone else to confirm them prior to posting them on this site.
Go to Top of Page

pensfan17
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
330 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2009 :  11:52:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have heard rumours (sorry can't remember where), that Johnson wanted out of LA and was even considering playing in Russia. Probably just a rumor but you never know.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4948
( )

Posted - 06/13/2009 :  12:27:09  Reply with Quote
Heard this rumour on the news yesterday here in Vancouver. This is what i also heard......(don't take this as my opinion, just one of the so called "experts" on the radio here, can't recall his name)

LA has a disgusting wealth of young quality d-men. The thinking is that they're willing to get rid of one, who has a history of slight attitude probs and primadonna qualities. Yes, a tremendous upside but getting a guy like Pronger to mentor the other young future stars would be huge. LA can't continue to stockpile young talent and not eventually "go for it" and try to put a quality playoff team on the ice! Not in that market! So, while it does seem like a high price, it does make sense.

That was not an actual quote but my recollection of what was said. I personally can't stand Pronger and hate to have to cheer him when he plays for Canada but i give him credit where it's due. He's an excellent dman and his resume proves it! Look what he's done in Anaheim and what he did in his short stay in Edm! I may not like him, but i'll admit he's good and worth having on "your" team!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page