Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 First week MVP Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2335 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  01:11:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
So on Saturday we'll be 10 days into 09/10 NHL regular the season, who's been your MVP choice so far?

Choices:

Dany Heatley (F) (SJS)
Alex Ovechkin (F) (WSH)
Joe Thornton (F) (SJS)
Alex Semin (F) (WSH)
Anze Kopitar (F) (LAK)
Nicklas Backstom (F) (WSH)
Craig Anderson (G) (COL)
Pascal Leclaire (G) (OTT)
Miikka Kiprusoff (G) (CGY)
Steve Mason (G) (CBJ)
Carey Price (G) (MTL)
Ray Emery (G) (PHI)
Other (Who?)

hanley6
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
674 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  01:17:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
tough one I went with Ovechkin, but Backstrom, Thornton, Semin, I'd hate to admit Heatley is playing well (he can thank Thornton), Gaborik and Malkin come to mind

...And the LEAFS Win the CUP

Edited by - hanley6 on 10/09/2009 01:19:01
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  01:28:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, i decided to vote the way the Hart is normally voted for. It's easy to argue for guys other than Ovechkin being "more valuable to their team" but it's simply not the way the Hart trophy is given out. There's not doubt, AO would be your winner if voting was done today....
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  08:40:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went way off the board.

Dave Tippett.

Did anyone else figure Phoenix to go 2-1 and outscore their opponent's 10-5??? After all the drama in Phoenix over the summer, Tippett stepped in and got a team playing very well very quickly.

And they sold out their home opener. Who said hockey won't work in Arizona??
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  09:37:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

I went way off the board.

Dave Tippett.

Did anyone else figure Phoenix to go 2-1 and outscore their opponent's 10-5??? After all the drama in Phoenix over the summer, Tippett stepped in and got a team playing very well very quickly.

And they sold out their home opener. Who said hockey won't work in Arizona??

Yes Dave Tippett did a good job. But he's more like an MVC.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  10:04:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beans - Phoenix sold out selling front row seats for $25, and upper bowl seats for $15, a deep discount - not to mention any free ticket giveaways or deals. Please see it for what it's worth - an expensive, money-losing venture at good publicity for the NHL.

Whitehorse or Yellowknife would sell out at those prices.

As to the question:
I would find hard for myself to vote Ovechkin, seeing how awesome Backstrom is playing as well, and Washington in general before last night's loss. Richards and Carter and Carle have played well for Philly, and Kipper has 4 wins in four starts.

I'll say Anze Kopitar of LA. He has been the catalyst for that top line to contend with the best, and he's had at least a goal and an assist in each game, leading to two wins where he was the first and second star respectively.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

sharksfan44
Rookie

Canada
228 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  12:06:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i said other because i think the mvp of the weel has benn mike richards. he has 7 points with 5 goals. what really did it for me was the philly vs caps game. he was the major factor in that game. He led his team the whole way in that game plus he had a hat trick. Philedelphia has looked early and richards is a big part in that
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  13:20:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How bout Bryzgalov. 2 wins for Pheonix, one of which was a shutout of the defending Stanley cup champs.

But I'd be ok with either of the Washington players Ovie or Backstrom
Go to Top of Page

brentrock2
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
571 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  15:12:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AO definatly but I do give the other guys some credit too.

HABS RULE!!
brentrock2
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  15:29:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

Beans - Phoenix sold out selling front row seats for $25, and upper bowl seats for $15, a deep discount - not to mention any free ticket giveaways or deals. Please see it for what it's worth - an expensive, money-losing venture at good publicity for the NHL.

Whitehorse or Yellowknife would sell out at those prices.

As to the question:
I would find hard for myself to vote Ovechkin, seeing how awesome Backstrom is playing as well, and Washington in general before last night's loss. Richards and Carter and Carle have played well for Philly, and Kipper has 4 wins in four starts.

I'll say Anze Kopitar of LA. He has been the catalyst for that top line to contend with the best, and he's had at least a goal and an assist in each game, leading to two wins where he was the first and second star respectively.

Well SLozo, the average ticket price in St. Louis is less than $30 and they aren't selling out every night, are they???

Just can't see to take those blinders off for just a second and see that if the product on the ice is good, people will pay to see it. Even in Phoenix. So clouded by the greed of wanting a team in Hamilton. I think you may be Darth Vader. Deep down you are a good person, but you are clouded by the dark side.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  15:53:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, Beans talk to us about sell outs in December. My bet is you could sell out a game better in St. Louis in December with a winner better than you could in Pheonix.

You know the NHL should be thanking Basillie for the attention this team has recieved. Not that they will make a profit this year, but they are already 7-8 million in the good with Gretzky gone and now the fans have a reason to show up. They got a put up or shut up, cause the team is on the move without fan support.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  16:55:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beans...i think that's the problem in Phoenix though, a bad product. Any city needs to be able to support a team during their lean years. Not every franchise is going to be competetive yearly and therefore must have a solid enough fan base to be able to survive the futile years. Not sure Phoenix can do this. However, they've never really had a great team have they? They've failed to reach the playoffs in 7 of 12 years since moving to the desert and have lost in the first round in the 5 years they did make it? I'm guessing the patience has worn thin and their fan base is sick of the continuous losing and has lost interest in supporting them....
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  17:44:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beans - Phoenix sucks as a hockey market, just admit it, ok? They lose money every year, even the one year they made the playoffs.

Not. a. money, making. proposition.
PERIOD!!!

How many years do they have to lose money before you get it?!?

And seriously . . . what's the point you're trying to make about St. Louis - they are losing money in a seriously depressed economy? Uh, ok . . . point made! Phoenix was losing money ten years ago in a BOOMING economy, when spending on entertainment was at its highest!

Beans, you are afraid of facing the truth, my son . . . Bettman has failed. Phoenix has failed. Fear leads to anger . . . anger leads to hate . . . hate leads to . . . Bettman!

Is it wrong for me to wish Bettman was forced to play goal without equipment while Al MacInnis and Zdeno Chara leaned into slapshots on the net? Oh, and Anze Kopitar too, just to make this post topical . . . yeah! Whoever wins weekly mvp gets ten shots at Bettman, now THAT'S entertainment!

p.s. I don't really want a team specifically in Hamilton, I would love franchises wherever the hockey starved public would be best served: Winnipeg, the Toronto area, Halifax.

Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2335 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  18:05:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stay on topic fellas. There are a dozen posts Phoenix and no less than 20 about Bettman; please post about them there. This is about the first 10 days MVP. Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

Guest7519
( )

Posted - 10/10/2009 :  18:58:20  Reply with Quote
James Wisniewski for sure
Go to Top of Page

Guest4629
( )

Posted - 10/11/2009 :  02:07:48  Reply with Quote
Kipper - 4 straight wins to open the season gets my vote.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4629
( )

Posted - 10/11/2009 :  02:14:57  Reply with Quote
How can Ovechkin be winning this poll so handily when his teammates Backstrom and Semin have combined for 19 points? And Brooks Laich also has 7 points. Clearly Ovechkin's not the MVP. A guy like Kopitar or Kiprusoff are much more deserving.
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2009 :  20:40:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I voted for Backstrom (WSH.)

He has helped both Ovechkin and Semin greatly in their current goal scoring roles in the first week, while adding a couple him self.

He has played both sides of the puck surprisingly well, even though not known for being a defensive-forward. He has skill, and I believe it's been him helping Ovechkin put up points. Not the other way around.

I also like Heatley in the first week+. He has shown up with Thornton, which is what SJS need. Though, the Sharks are purely a one line team + Marleau. heh.

Irvine
Go to Top of Page

sharksfan44
Rookie

Canada
228 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2009 :  10:02:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
haha can't disagree with u irvine bout the sharks being a one line team plus marleau, if i said they werent i'd b lying. it didn't help though that pavelski got hurt for 2 weeks. plus clowe hasn't done ANYTHING, but i no he'll get going eventually. I think they are actually a 2 line team but right now it's been all the first line (plus marleau lol)
that was the big thing though for san jose, improving the two bottom lines. Until the sharks have solid 3rd and 4th lines, they will never have post season success unfortunatley. lol i no this was a little off topic, but i had to throw this out there
Go to Top of Page

50brent
Top Prospect

Canada
62 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2009 :  12:27:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i said backstrom because he has been giving semin and ovechkin the nicest passes, without backstrom they wouldnt have put up the points they have right now.
Go to Top of Page

Guest7606
( )

Posted - 10/15/2009 :  02:40:11  Reply with Quote
Craig Anderson
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2009 :  16:30:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sharksfan44

haha can't disagree with u irvine bout the sharks being a one line team plus marleau, if i said they werent i'd b lying. it didn't help though that pavelski got hurt for 2 weeks. plus clowe hasn't done ANYTHING, but i no he'll get going eventually. I think they are actually a 2 line team but right now it's been all the first line (plus marleau lol)
that was the big thing though for san jose, improving the two bottom lines. Until the sharks have solid 3rd and 4th lines, they will never have post season success unfortunatley. lol i no this was a little off topic, but i had to throw this out there

I do believe San Jose will do well, their "one line + marleu" is pretty solid, and they have a great goaltender in Nabby. Defense could use some work, but they do have Boyle and others. So they are certainly are no push-over.

Plus, I have an autographed SJ Thornton jersey, so I am biased because I like Thornton. :P Not to mention, i'm a Heatley fan.

Irvine
Go to Top of Page

sharksfan44
Rookie

Canada
228 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2009 :  19:34:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ya, a bit of a slow start for the sharks going 3-3-1, but i'm sure they will pick it up and b fine. heatley has 5 goals in 7 goals which i'm definitley satisfied with and thornton has put up 9 assists along with 1 goal.

and wow, a signed thornton jersey, i'm pretty jelous of that . i have a thornton jersey but it's not signed or anything
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2009 :  17:29:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sharksfan44
and wow, a signed thornton jersey, i'm pretty jelous of that . i have a thornton jersey but it's not signed or anything

Yeah, it's pretty awesome. I managed to get a NYR Jagr one too, before he left for the KHL. :)

I have no-named stick autographed by Ovie (52 Goals scored wooden stick,) and an RBK goalie stick Gerber signed when playing for the Sens.

BUT, with those things that I love, I lost more. lol. Gave my brother an autographed Malkin jersey and autographed Semin jersey, for gifts. :( Should have kept those ones. lol.

Irvine
Go to Top of Page

sharksfan44
Rookie

Canada
228 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2009 :  13:08:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow thats some pretty awesome stuff, i don't have anything signed by anyone lol. well i do have a signed mini stick by matt pepe from wen he still played with the kitchener rangers . haha, but nothing like the stuff u got.
Go to Top of Page

MSC
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
601 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2009 :  13:14:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by slozo

Whitehorse or Yellowknife would sell out at those prices.[quote]

Slozo, I now call Yellowknife home and I can assure you that at those prices we would buy 2 seats a piece just for the elbow room and still pay for the draft which would probably be about $23.

Edited by - MSC on 10/29/2009 13:16:07
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page