Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Poll - What to do with head shots? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2335 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2006 :  09:38:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Hits to the head has become the hot topic lately. What should the NHL do about them?

Choices:

Zero tolerance policy on hits to the head
Reduce the size of players shoulder pads
Automatic penalty
Start handing out fines and suspensions
Nothing - hitting is a part of the game

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2335 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2006 :  09:44:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last night Willie Mitchell leveled Johan Franzen with arguably a clean shoulder check. Unfortunatley his shoulder connected with Franzen's head and knocked him out. It seems like hits to the head are happening more frequently than 10 or 15 years ago. Maybe we just know more about concussions, maybe its the shoulder pads, or maybe players are losing respect for one another and need to start being punished. I don't know the answer.

Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2006 :  10:47:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not necessarily smaller pads, just pads with a softer surface layer. Other than that, leave it alone. There is too much size discrepancy between players and the game moves too fast to start calling hits to the head. We have too many infractions/whistles and power plays as it is.
Go to Top of Page

pucker
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
398 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2006 :  10:48:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am really torn on this one. I hate to see player get hurt, but I don't think it was dirty at all. It was maybe a second or two late, but when the game is moving at 90 mph, there is not much time to think and I honestly don't believe Mitchell intended to injure Franzen. Had he backed off, Detroit could have had a two-on-one and could have cost his team the game. Look back at the Scott Stevens/Eric Lindros check. No elbow meant it was a clean hit. When did we get to a point where a shoulder check is starting to be considered dirty?
Go to Top of Page

blade
Rookie

Canada
199 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2006 :  11:03:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If they start calling this we may as well put the sticks and pucks away and start figure skating

Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2006 :  12:58:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blade

If they start calling this we may as well put the sticks and pucks away and start figure skating

Bleeaahhh
Getting hit is part of the game. However if a hit is intentional, that should be a penalty. Otherwise tough beans.

Of course, I wouldn't want to see anyone injured, but if a hit to the head is accidental, what can you do about it other than apologize?
Go to Top of Page

Guest6952
( )

Posted - 11/23/2006 :  15:06:15  Reply with Quote
I agree with Leigh. The shoulder pads are bullet proof these days. Remember the pads when we were kids? They were "pads". Now they're weapons. They make them this way because there was too many shoulder injuries. To hell with the head, gotta protect the shoulder. It's discraceful that the league won't deal with this.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page