Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Poll - Who will be the next coach to lose his job? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2336 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2006 :  08:58:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
First, Hitchcock, then Gallant, now Yawney. Who will be the next coach to lose his job?

Choices:

Bryan Murray (Ottawa)
Jim Playfair (Calgary)
Dave Lewis (Boston)
Mike Kitchen (St. Louis)
Wayne Gretzky (Phoenix)
Ken Hitchcock (again)

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2336 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2006 :  09:05:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Chicago Blackhawks fire coach Trent Yawney, hire Denis Savard
Last updated at 11:57 on November 27, 2006, EST.

CHICAGO (CP) - The Chicago Blackhawks have fired coach Trent Yawney and replaced him with assistant Denis Savard.

The move comes after a 1-3-1 road trip in which they were outscored 17-9. "We decided last night we needed to do this," Hawks GM Dale Tallon told The Canadian Press on Monday. "We just felt we wanted to go in a different direction. We needed to change things around a little bit here. We've been flat. We've only won three games in our last 15."

Yawney had another year on his deal. Savard does not have the interim tag.

"He's going to coach the rest of the year," said Tallon.

Only the Columbus Blue Jackets, with 14 points, have fewer points than Chicago's 16.

"We're not happy over the last few years as far as our win-loss record is concerned," Savard said in a statement before coaching practice. "The players have to share that responsibility. But we're looking to move forward and go in a new direction.

"I've always wanted to be a head coach. The circumstances are not the greatest because when you take over for somebody mid-season it means things did not go as well as we all expected. I'm looking forward to working with Mark Hardy and upper management as we move forward in this new direction."

The 7-12-2 Blackhawks opened the season with a 4-2 record but went on to lose eight straight after crippling injuries to No. 1 centre Michal Handzus and star winger Martin Havlat. Handzus is likely lost for the season with a knee injury while Havlat is expected back next week from a high ankle sprain.

Yawney, who named Chicago's 35th head coach in July 2005, is the third coach fired this season after Ken Hitchcock in Philadelphia and Gerard Gallant in Columbus.
Go to Top of Page

Trevman12
Rookie

Canada
182 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2006 :  15:54:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If Ottawa doesn't start performing up to what to they are capable of, Murray will be the next to go.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4642
( )

Posted - 11/27/2006 :  18:59:45  Reply with Quote
I agree - Murray is next on the list. I can't believe that 20 games in and already 3 coaches have been fired. I give it another 20 and we will start seeing these same struggling teams start their fire sales.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page