Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 toronto shut out montreal what a sweet feeling. Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Guest8100
( )

Posted - 12/07/2009 :  08:59:13  Reply with Quote
Let us all just stop arguing and agree that the Calgary Flames are a far superior team to our Eastern brothers.

The west is the best !
Go to Top of Page

HawkinOilCountry
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
318 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2009 :  09:02:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a western conference hockey fan, I can tell you that Calgary and Vancouver fans probably aren't all that interested in The two old maids of the NHL bickering. When Toronto or Montreal start being league contenders you might hear something.

When you're a fan of Calgary you don't need to say anything, your team's numbers kind of speak for themselves.

Ottawa fans might speak up now and then, but really, ottawa is like the quiet older brother right now, sitting back quietly, knowing they are better than TO and Montreal.

The arena wall in chicago should be credited with a goal.
Go to Top of Page

Guest1757
( )

Posted - 12/07/2009 :  11:18:30  Reply with Quote
The Ottawa/Calgary/Vancouver fans are more focused on their team getting some wins as opposed to basking in glory of a shut out a few nights ago. Neither side makes much of an argument considering where you're at in the standings...it's basically just a lot of "just wait, we'll be really good down the road" comments. Sure there is a rivalry between MTL and T.O but arguing who is better when you're that far down is just sad
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  08:04:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest7752

quote:
Originally posted by Guest9298

I'd just like to point out that Montreal kicked Boston's butt and then Boston absolutely ruined Toronto on Saturday.

So basically everyone arguing for Toronto in this thread has been proven, well, totally wrong. They are still garbage. And beaten by the goalie they traded to get Kessel - a fine trade, except when you realize they could have traded Pogge and kept Rask, which, at this point, would seem a better move.

I also agree Montreal's team is a bit suspect right now... but also that minus Kaberle all year Toronto would be even worse than Carolina still, whereas Markov is a premiere defenseman and Montreal is still salvaging some points/dignity without him.

And come on: Ole, Ole, Ole isn't a football chant anymore in Montreal. It's been adapted. Better than chanting, oh, I don't know, NOTHING, like they do in Toronto since people are too busy on their blackberries to look up. And yeah, I'm a born and bred Torontonian. :P

That's a good one... and I'm sure the Blackberry folks are actually following the play-by-play on TSN since they can't figure out what's happening on the ice.
Funny how the leaf fans' commentary goes silent after such a sweet feeling the previous night or 2...

Ok so... Toronto smokes Montreal, Montreal smokes Boston, then Boston smokes Toronto...... this proves what exactly?

And like the dude above me mentioned Rask was traded for Raycroft, not kessel....

Ive sat in the 5th row at the bell centre and beleive it or not, people also have blackberries in Montreal as well, and yes, they do use them.

Toronto is on a tear, 5 points back of a playoff spot and right on Montreals heals with a game in hand. Keep the smack talk coming, things are just getting interesting.

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  08:07:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'd just like to point out that Montreal kicked Boston's butt and then Boston absolutely ruined Toronto on Saturday.

So basically everyone arguing for Toronto in this thread has been proven, well, totally wrong. They are still garbage. And beaten by the goalie they traded to get Kessel - a fine trade, except when you realize they could have traded Pogge and kept Rask, which, at this point, would seem a better move.

I also agree Montreal's team is a bit suspect right now... but also that minus Kaberle all year Toronto would be even worse than Carolina still, whereas Markov is a premiere defenseman and Montreal is still salvaging some points/dignity without him.

And come on: Ole, Ole, Ole isn't a football chant anymore in Montreal. It's been adapted.
Better than chanting, oh, I don't know, NOTHING, like they do in Toronto since people are too busy on their blackberries to look up. And yeah, I'm a born and bred Torontonian. :P

No, its still a soccer chant. No matter how hard you guys try to claim it, it will always be a soccer chant. Deal with it.

Go to Top of Page

goleafsgosjnb
Top Prospect

Canada
98 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  15:43:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now I know comparing Leafs and Habs this year is like comparing rotten apples to bad oranges, but the whole "but Markov is out" argument is irrelevant. The Leafs had 2 goalies down for a stretch in October and their only scorer down for a month. Everyone's got injuries, no excuses guys.

That being said both these teams are going nowhere fast this year, I sure hope the Leafs young guns are ready to step in next year because the core is just lacking in talent.

Same goes to the Habs, I don't pay much attention to their prospects but they better be some good because a core built around Gomez-Cammaleri-Gionta will never intimidate anyone. Least you guys get a first rounder for your terrible team lol
Go to Top of Page

goleafsgosjnb
Top Prospect

Canada
98 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  15:45:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
btw, loves the "OLE" chant. Atmosphere in the Bell Centre is phenomenal, wouldn't change a thing about that.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  16:46:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Roberts85

quote:

And come on: Ole, Ole, Ole isn't a football chant anymore in Montreal. It's been adapted.
Better than chanting, oh, I don't know, NOTHING, like they do in Toronto since people are too busy on their blackberries to look up. And yeah, I'm a born and bred Torontonian. :P

No, its still a soccer chant. No matter how hard you guys try to claim it, it will always be a soccer chant. Deal with it.

Who cares if it's a soccer chant??? One might say that it's actually a bull fighting chant, but who's keeping score??

By the way, what is the Leafs Chant????
Go to Top of Page

Guest2733
( )

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  16:56:24  Reply with Quote
leafs couldn,t win in checkers .

leafs even lost on christmas daddies , when they auctioned off embroidered decals on them .

their name should be -- make beliefs

sha-na-na-na eheh goodbye leafs
Go to Top of Page

redneck76ca
Rookie

186 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  18:45:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beans is right. Ole is not a soccer chant first. It is a song by Bouncing Souls that was released in 2001. Soccer (football fans to be truer) fans adopted it for games, and guess what, so did the Habs fans. Habs fans have been using it for the last 5-6 years, maybe, longer. I can't say for sure as I watch most hockey games under the influence of the fine BC green.

As far as chants go, I have broken them down by Canadian city:

Montreal: "Ole" (of course), "Go Abs Go!" "Carey"

Calgary: "Go Flames Go", "Kipper Kipper!" "Iggy!"

Ottawa: "Go Sens Go" "Heat.... er, not anymore"

Edmonton: "Lets Go Oilers!" "Hemorrhoid, Hemorrhoid!" <-----This is somehow affectionate praise for their favorite Czech winger.

Toronto: "Go Leafs Go!" Leaf fans belt this out so loud they often drown out the Home Teams chant. I hate the Leafs but I respect their fans (mostly). The fact that there are times in the Bell Centre where the Leafs fans are actually drowning out the Habs fans speaks volumes. I saw the Leafs in Vancouver this year and Canucks fans couldn't even come close to the decibels put out by Leaf fans.

Which brings us to Vancouver...

"(insert opposing goaltenders name here) Sucks!"
"(insert visiting Team's name here) Sucks!"
"Let's trade (insert underachieving forwards name here)!"

so negative, in fact, there most positive chant, sounds very negative..

"Looouuu! Loouuu!"

I will say, though, that the "You Suck Turco" chant from the playoffs a couple of years back was pretty sweet. I was at the first home game and that chant came together so nicely out of nowhere.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  23:14:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First off, i could care less where a chant came from, if it gets the fans pumped up and the building buzzing, great! Why should anyone care where it originated? In Detroit, the guy always cranks the lines "Just a city boy.....Born and raised in south Detroit" from Journey's "Don't Stop Believin'". Now, i'm pretty sure that Journey didn't write this song for the Red Wings, therefore, is it a bad thing? C'mon Leaf/Hab fans, get over the petty bickering. I have no prob with the hockey talk but to place negativity on a team because their fans chant is used in soccer matches is pretty silly.

Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2009 :  08:21:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a leaf fan its my job to hate "ole" and that aint gonna change. Its pretty gay if you ask me, I dont like soccer, so that probably contributes to my dislike of it.

Go Leafs Go can be heard in every arena the leafs visit, the diehards are there. As someone mentioned, it routinely drowns out the home team fans, even in Montreal. Part of the reason you dont hear it so much in toronto is because the fans at home have become pretty apathetic towards the team, everyone is waiting for the home team to give a reason for a "Go leafs Go" rather then trying to pump up the team with one of their own. It sucks and it looks bad on the fans and the team ill admit.

It wasnt that long ago when the gardens and the ACC was fueled by go leafs go chants and i really hope it comes back soon. The team has to stop sucking on home ice so much.

By the way, I love the journey song at the joe louis, thats actually cool. Ole just bugs me, personal opinion. I never realized OLE was so new, i could have sworn that soccer stadiums had been chanting that for much longer.

make beleifs - wow thats a new one! your a comedy genius!

The leafs/habs bickering is petty, but it has been going on for a looooooong time and i dont think its gonna end anytime soon heh.

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2009 :  08:59:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been to quite a few Leafs/'Nucks and Habs/'Nucks games over the years here and i have to say, i've NEVER, and i mean E V E R, heard a Go Leafs Go chant or a Go Habs Go chant NOT get drowned out by the Canucks faithful. Yes, often the Habs / Leaf fans start their chant and can easily be heard, but, within seconds, the Go Canucks Go chant will drown out either. I'm sure it's like this anywhere as well. It's pretty simple, as many Habs / Leaf fans there are in this city, there's ALWAYS gonna be more Canuck fans.
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2009 :  09:33:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest2291

Message to Les Habs Fans....Gainey has Montreal put into the same position as fergeson put the leafs into several years ago, too many overpaid players who are not good enough to win the cup. Basically he is stuck with them. YE KNOW IT TOO, Gionta is good though. At least Toronto has plenty of cap space ( for I. Kovalchuk ). Any fool can see that these 2 teams are going in opposite directions, the leafs are only starting to play hockey, AND BOY ARE THEY PLAYING, just wait 2 more months and then look at the standings. 2 more years and toronto will be a power house.....2 more years and montreal will be the 2007/2008 version of the maple leafs........I just have 1 question for habs fans.....why in the name of god would bob gainy clear up 7 million in NY rangers cap space enabling them to sign gaborik instead of just signing gaborik himself ?????one of the most stupid hockey moves ever.......what kind of a GM cleans up another teams mess like that.....stupid, stupid...maybe he is related to fergie

i'm just curious where is this cap space the leafs have?? you're pretty against the cap too 3million for beauchemin 4 for komisarek 4 for kabby 5 for kessel 4 for finger 3 something for grabowski Blake at 4.5 ,,, i may be wrong with a few of these they are off the top of my head but Burke does not have a lot of cap space,, certainly not 10 million

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

Guest7281
( )

Posted - 12/09/2009 :  11:38:15  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

I've been to quite a few Leafs/'Nucks and Habs/'Nucks games over the years here and i have to say, i've NEVER, and i mean E V E R, heard a Go Leafs Go chant or a Go Habs Go chant NOT get drowned out by the Canucks faithful. Yes, often the Habs / Leaf fans start their chant and can easily be heard, but, within seconds, the Go Canucks Go chant will drown out either. I'm sure it's like this anywhere as well. It's pretty simple, as many Habs / Leaf fans there are in this city, there's ALWAYS gonna be more Canuck fans.

You obviously were not at the Leafs game this year where the Leafs fans drowned out the 'Nucks fans several times during the game. It was amusing even though I hate the Leafs.
Go to Top of Page

Tiller33
PickupHockey Pro

389 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2009 :  11:52:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
i'm just curious where is this cap space the leafs have?? you're pretty against the cap too 3million for beauchemin 4 for komisarek 4 for kabby 5 for kessel 4 for finger 3 something for grabowski Blake at 4.5 ,,, i may be wrong with a few of these they are off the top of my head but Burke does not have a lot of cap space,, certainly not 10 million

Pasty

http://www.thehockeygm.com/tor.html
Beauchemin - 3.8
Blake - 4
Grabovski - 2.9
Kaberle - 4.25
Komisarek - 4.5
Finger - 3.5
Kessel - 5.4

Only players the Leafs have under contract for next year are:
Orr, Bozak, Hagman, Blake, Grabovski, Komisarek, Kaberle, Beauchemin, Finger, Schenn, Kessel and one million for Tucker's buyout, minus $1.338 million for Colin Stuart and Jiri Tlusty for a grand total of $33,762,000. Assuming the cap stays the same at $56.8 million the Leafs will have $23.038 million to spend but keep in mind guys like White and Gustavsson will require raises as will Ponikarovsky if they decide to bring him back I'd say Burke will have about $12-14 million to go shopping this summer.

There's a lot of dirty old occ's around thats the problem

Edited by - Tiller33 on 12/09/2009 12:06:18
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page