Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 NHL Pay Per Views? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gusteroni
Rookie

Canada
225 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2009 :  08:55:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Do you agree or disagree with some NHL markets using pay per view as a way to broadcast games?

Choices:

Agree
Disagree

Gusteroni
Rookie

Canada
225 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2009 :  09:13:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to disagree. I know that pay per view is a way of generating revenue but as far as know it is only the Oilers, Flames and Canucks that have ppv's. I'm pretty sure these teams have most if not all their games sold out. I know this probably does not affect everyone in Canada but out west I am going to have to pay $15.95 to watch the Leafs vs Oilers on Dec.30. The Oilers have 16 ppv's this season, Flames 8, and Vancouver 12. I find it to be a cash cow. Granted people are going to order them and that's exactly why we have them out here. I'm thinking the Oilers must get a lot of money out of these because they increased their ppv's by 4 this year. I don't get why there isn't an even amount of ppv's between these teams either. I understand blackouts and such but it still bothers me that if I buy Sportsnet Ontario the Leafs games are blacked out...am I going to fly from Alberta to Toronto every game day? Why don't the Flames and the Oilers just get there own channel like the Leafs...I think there is a Canucks TV so I guess it wouldn't matter. I had Center Ice last year and I just couldn't afford it this year...I sure miss Joe Bowen with Leafs TV...Holy Mackerel. If you do buy Center Ice the ppv's are blacked out and you still have to pay for them. So you could potentially pay over $400.00 a year just to watch some hockey from your home...might as well fly to Toronto!!

"There are only two seasons in Canada...hockey season and not hockey season."
Go to Top of Page

lyall
PickupHockey Pro

360 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2009 :  09:36:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I disagree with the PPV, But since I no longer live in Edmonton I wish that you could order PPv anywhere in Canada, not just locally.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2009 :  10:38:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let's look at this from a different perspective.

The Oilers made a clear decision to televise every regular season game. The PPV's are decided only after the national and regional networks have decided what games they are played. This season, the network's picked up 4 fewer games than they did last season. So, the rest go to PPV. Now, the PPV is paid for 100% by the team. Production, camera work, play by play, everything. What do you think that costs??

And as far as the Flames/Oilers getting their own channel. How is that going to happen when the Oilers can't even get a 30 minute weekly program exclusive to them?? Even though the Flames have one, it totally sucks.

Bottom line is that the Oilers want to give their fans the option of watching every game if they want. I don't see it as a cash cow although I also don't argue the the Oilers do see a revenue stream from the PPV's.

But it's like anything else. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Personally, I have never bought a PPV game. However, I often go down to the local pub and watch the game, buy myself a couple of pints and plate of wings and spend by $20 on that rather than paying to see the game on my TV at home.
Go to Top of Page

Gusteroni
Rookie

Canada
225 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2009 :  11:11:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, what's that guys name from Flames This Week...he's terrible!! I totally understand what you're saying Beans but why is it only these three teams that do it? If I lived in Saskatchewan would I get the game for free or not at all? I know the Leafs vs Oilers game on the 30th is free for Toronto residents on Sportsnet Ontario. It makes me wonder how many Florida games for example are televised and how many aren't. It is just getting to be too much. How soon will it be before there are 18, 20, or 24 ppv games a year?

"There are only two seasons in Canada...hockey season and not hockey season."
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2009 :  12:50:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well LeafsTV has been around for more than a few seasons now and it has come a long way. The production is still sketchy at times, the sound cuts out during telecasts sometimes and the score clock disapears every now and then, but the quality of team coverage and exclusive interviews with players and execs has gone up. The channel now has a ticker and will show you boxscores and preview upcoming games around the league as well as provide all the analysis on the leafs one could ever hope for.

The channel was $2/month for a while and now it comes with Rogers Digital cable, i think its still $2/month if you dont have rogers....

I think about 12 games are broadcast a season and it usually features the weaker teams in the league, for years it was always wahsington, florida, columbus, atlanta, those kinds of games. Leafs TV has also started something that is pretty cool, they tested this one saturday not too long ago. The game was on CBC and you could flip over to Leafs TV and see a whole bunch of different camera angles in the building during the game and commercial timeouts. So these cameras were live throughout the whole broadcast and show what guys are doing on the bench during whistles, what the coaches are saying during tv timeouts, it will show the crowd, and lock onto the goaltenders.

I think it was pretty neat and I could see the other canadian teams getting a channel like this as long as the viewship would be there.

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2009 :  14:54:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't really have a problem with it. I've only bought one or two games as i'd prefer, like Beans said, to go out for a few pints and a bite to eat and watch it at the local bar.

One day though, i fear, all games will prob be PPV.....
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page