Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Western Conference - Pacific Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Edmonton
 What should the Oilers do Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Larrydavid
Top Prospect

Canada
37 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2010 :  12:11:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With this season pretty much over for us Oiler fans what should they do.

I think they have to get rid of salaries and finish in the bottom 3 this year.

The biggest contract that has to go is Horcoff, absolutely insane. I know it would be very tough to move but I think it is possible if you include Hemsky not that I want to trade Hemsky. I would rather lose Hemsky than have Horcofffs contract until the end of 2014-2015 at a cap hit of 5.5. Hemsky is the bargain at a cap hit if 4.1 until the end of 2011-2012.

I still think Souray has some value but a cap hit of 5.4 until 2011-2012. Realistically I don't know what he might fetch. A contender might want him for the PP.

There's many more that should go. Who should stay is a better question. Any suggestions? I don't get to see them much living in NS

If they can finish last and get Hall to go with Eberle and Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson it's a great start to actually building something.

Edited by - willus3 on 01/11/2010 12:50:18

HawkinOilCountry
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
318 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2010 :  12:44:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I absolutely do not want to see Hemsky go anywhere. I'd hold on to Hemsky so he get get back on line with Penner. The Oilers do have a fiar number of Players I would trade but I don't knwo the specifics of most of the contracts.

I would trade out any of the following:
-Grebeshkov
-Horcoff
-Gilbert
-Cogliano
-Gagne (I like this kid, but really how can you trade away any of the four above without giving the other team an actual decent player)
-Souray (Gimmick player. hasn't played all that well since his concussion, but some teams would bite)
-Staios (Blocks shots and tough as they come, might interest some teams)
-Moreau (Captain 3rd line anyone?)
-Strudwick
-Pisani
-Quinn (wait... what?)
um... who else plays for the Oilers?

Player's I'd keep (much shorter list)
-Vishnovski
-Smid
-Brule
-Penner
-Hemsky
-Khabibulin
-Deslauriers (has some bad games, but he could've done much worse since Bulin's injury)
-Potulny

The Oilers should take thier WJ stars and some draft pics and do some serious building around the core of guys I listed above.

Having said that, no team should ever deliberatly aim for the basement. I watch my Oilers to see wins and good battles, and get very disapointed when we don't get them.

The arena wall in chicago should be credited with a goal.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2010 :  13:17:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's my take. Remember all you so called "Oiler Fans" that blamed everything possible on Craig MacTavish??? Remember that?? Well I might have been on here various times saying that it's not MacT's fault but he had to go anyway.

Wonder who called that one dead on???

Say what you will about the injuries and anything else the Oiler ran into. The issue at heart is not skill. Although the team is still not skilled enough to compete with the elite 5-8 teams in the league, they should be comfortable and confidently in that 8-15th spot in the NHL. This is a playoff team when healthy.

So what is the problem???

Simply, they get out worked every single game. The games they win, they don't really deserve and the games they lose are the result you get when you play less than 60 minutes.

I can count on one hand how many games I have watched this year where the Oilers deserved to win. And trust me, I watch nearly every one of them.

So the question is, what to do?? Here is Beans' 5 step program to fix the Oilers.

1 - Let some UFA's and RFA's go - Pisani, Pouliot, Jacques, and Grebeshkov should just get their release. Although Grebeshkov has stepped up recently, he has played really uninspired hockey for quite some time now.

2 - Face the fact that the team is Handcuffed (for between 1-6 seasons) with some really bad contracts. Specifically Horcoff and Gilbert who will tie up $9.5 million through 12/13. They are not going anywhere. They are significantly overpaid and no one will take those contracts, even if you throw in a Hemsky.

3 - Make reasonable free agent moves in the offseason - More signing's like Comrie for a million. Stop chasing after that big fish and pick up good hockey players for the value they should get paid. Look at New Jersey. That team just pays players what they are worth and they don't go chasing that super duper star.

4 - Find a way to change the on ice leadership. It's plainly obvious that the coaching change did NOTHING to impact this organization. As this team is basically the same team as last season and are doing worse, there is only one place to look and that is on the ice. I have come to the realization that this team will never win with the likes of Steve Staios, Ethan Moreau, and Sheldon Souray in the line up. These guys breed compacency and have zero expectations of themselves or the players they are supposed to be leading. It's hard for a team to win when the leaders expect to lose and are OK with it.

5 - Most importantly. Leave the kids at home. Eberle, Paajarvi-Svensson and who ever else they have in the system will do NOTHING to help this team. And if you bring them into this disaster all the team will end up with is more Robert Nilsson's and Cogliano's. Losers breed losers and that's exactly what will happen with those gifted youngsters. Wait until the old guard is gone, at least until the 11/12 season to bring these kids into the mix.

That's it. It's not magic button or quick fix. Too many mistakes made and only time will fix that.

Man it's tough being an Oiler fan today!
Go to Top of Page

HawkinOilCountry
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
318 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2010 :  13:23:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Much better said than I could have done Beans. The Old Guard has got to go.

Go to Top of Page

Guest9494
( )

Posted - 01/11/2010 :  15:35:02  Reply with Quote
your right its pats quinn=mact= LULZ mact never had a starting goalie and best player go down in a season. sorry beans but that was sad comparsion saying MacT wasn't the problem, when players like Penner are playing amazing and only the vets who developed into MacT loser mentality system are costing the team loses cough moreau. It going to take time for the injuries to heal aka learning how to play bad hockey. Its nice to see the Oilers finally rebuild right but when your best player and starting goalie is out. There is no way a team with such a young team is going to suceed.

PS: how is that flop Schremp doing? no team wanted him ehh first team to grab him off waivers got him and hes producing with 12-13 mins a game but wait your knowledge is overwhelming I can't see your always right.....

TAKE A LAP BENDER
Go to Top of Page

Guest5940
( )

Posted - 01/11/2010 :  16:39:57  Reply with Quote
penner is the player that most people would want at the deadline
Go to Top of Page

Larrydavid
Top Prospect

Canada
37 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2010 :  04:19:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

5 - Most importantly. Leave the kids at home. Eberle, Paajarvi-Svensson and who ever else they have in the system will do NOTHING to help this team. And if you bring them into this disaster all the team will end up with is more Robert Nilsson's and Cogliano's. Losers breed losers and that's exactly what will happen with those gifted youngsters. Wait until the old guard is gone, at least until the 11/12 season to bring these kids into the mix.

Beans I agree about leaving the kids off the team for now. Aside from breeding losers they will be that much older before they become a UFA. Kovalchuk will only be 27 and could walk for nothing.

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2010 :  07:08:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9494

your right its pats quinn=mact= LULZ mact never had a starting goalie and best player go down in a season. sorry beans but that was sad comparsion saying MacT wasn't the problem, when players like Penner are playing amazing and only the vets who developed into MacT loser mentality system are costing the team loses cough moreau. It going to take time for the injuries to heal aka learning how to play bad hockey. Its nice to see the Oilers finally rebuild right but when your best player and starting goalie is out. There is no way a team with such a young team is going to suceed.

PS: how is that flop Schremp doing? no team wanted him ehh first team to grab him off waivers got him and hes producing with 12-13 mins a game but wait your knowledge is overwhelming I can't see your always right.....

TAKE A LAP BENDER

Really?? You are going to bring up Rob Schremp?? On pace for 30 points?? Man am I ever upset the Oilers dropped him.

And you say that MacT never had players get injured?? How about the Oilers, for 2 consecutive seaons break the record for most man games lost by a team in one season under MacT??

And Penner is doing better. But why are most of the other players having their worst seasons in the past 3-4 years???

Edited by - Beans15 on 01/12/2010 11:55:28
Go to Top of Page

Guest9249
( )

Posted - 01/12/2010 :  07:51:01  Reply with Quote
i think they should just quit!
Go to Top of Page

Guest6309
( )

Posted - 01/12/2010 :  11:17:08  Reply with Quote
Get Jagr
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2010 :  17:26:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For those of you not familiar with signed contracts and lengths here is a link with ones I picked out below. I think the priority has to be to move the big salaries like Horcoff and Gilberts, even if it means buyout or giving away prospects.

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=EDM

Gilbert 5500000 in 2010/2011 signed to 2013/2014. Should be bought out or traded with prospects. Tough deal to trade as he is way overpaid long term and might require good value prospect or players to complete a trade. Buying out this contract means the Oilers cap hit is 1/3 of his contract till the end of 2014

Souray 4500000 in 2010/2011 signed to 2011/2012 Souray is trade-able and may actually be a hot commodity for a playoff bubble team come deadline

Horcoff 6500000 in 2010/2011 signed to 2014/2015. Should be bought out or traded with prospects even if its Hemsky, this guys contract has to go. Buying out his contract means the Oilers cap hit of 1/3 till the end of 2014/2015

Moreau 1750000 in 2010/2011 signed to 2010/2011. Moreau although underperforming, still would be a cheap ex-captain and would be considered for most teams who are looking to add veteran depth.

Penner 4250000 in 2010/2011 signed to 2011/2012. Penner should be traded Now while there is a memory of his great start and Olympic consideration. Feel he has redeemed himself with the strong start

Staios 2200000 in 2010/2011 signed to 2010/2011. Staios is inexpensive at 2200000 and a low risk hard-nosed player. IMO, no trouble finding a home for this guy in a package deal.

If these guys can be moved on before the start of next training camp and a few replaced thru free agency, this team really does have good prospects in the system to develop. Could be the next feel good story like LA or Chicago in the next few years.

Edited by - JOSHUACANADA on 01/12/2010 17:31:04
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2010 :  16:17:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with you JoshuaCanada.

I am reminded of the year before last, when the much maligned Antropov was having his career year (in reference to Penner) . . . totally different player, but similar situation on a similar team standings-wise. Anyways, I was clammering at one point to trade the guy. No no, he's realising his potential!, others said . . . but I was going on and on about selling while his stock was high. Of course, the Leafs didn't sell high . . . they sold at medium range, at the most disadvantageous time - trade deadline, and we got one measly second rounder. They may never have gotten a first rounder for him, but it might have been close - at least a good young up and comer, as opposed to a crapshoot.

If the Oilers were smart, they'd trade Penner right now to a contending team, or even a team desperate to make the playoffs.

And Schremp . . . is still a flop in my mind, a couple of goals in the last few games doesn't change that. The Oil waited a long time with him if I remember.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

HawkinOilCountry
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
318 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2010 :  16:29:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Schremp is a flop. He really wasn't good enough to make the lineup when Edmonton had him. He was barely good enough to make the lineup in New York.

Yea he's playing decent enough now, but I think that might have something to do with his career in Pro Hockey hinging on it. If he can't produce THIS season, he might be done in teh NHL forever.

Here's a wonder. One of the top 3 draft prospects is a Defenseman (Fowler). Would it be a bad thing to take this guy if the Oilers get a high draft pick instead of Hall or Seguin? Oilers need some new blood on defense... badly. Or do you take Hall and try and deal for established D-men?

Go to Top of Page

Guest4855
( )

Posted - 01/13/2010 :  18:38:20  Reply with Quote
i think they should sign theo fleury, atleast he can be a bar tender so they can drink to thier sorrows from an awful season.
Go to Top of Page

Guest2789
( )

Posted - 01/14/2010 :  11:19:41  Reply with Quote
There is no doubt that this team, with all their heavy contracts and underacheivers is a victim of horrible management. Bad signings and bad trades have now come to haunt the franchise. Kevin Lowe is not a great hockey mind. He rode the coat tails of all the rest of the "boys on the bus" and just because he was an oiler from the past, we as fans are supposed to embrace him and accept what he has done with the team? Get real. This team needs fresh blood and new minds. The oiler dynasty is long gone and the players, mgmt and fans have got to realize that and start building for the future. Gretzky sure has...what has he done for Edm lately?? and we even have a statue of him put up and a freeway named after him....just an example of the old school way of thinking by edmonton. IMO the players which have to go are.. HORCOFF, O'SULLIVAN, GILBERT, MOREAU, SOURAY(this kinda sucks) GOGLIANO, HABIBULIN(glass goaltender). Ithink the rest of the guys are salvageable into creating a competitive(realize I didn't say winning) team. And get rid of Lowe. Tambellini and Quinn are good hockey people, they can do the job. I don't believe the dive for five attitude should be there....simply because I do no think Taylor Hall will be that great of a player at the NHL level. More often than not, at the WJ he looked like a deer caught in the headlights at times...good player yes..great player no. So whywould the oil go for him. They should try to win a few games to get that winning feeling back and carry that into next year...after some trades of course Maybe K Lowe should call up Brian Burke and see if any deals could be made Hmmmmmm.
Go to Top of Page

Larrydavid
Top Prospect

Canada
37 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2010 :  11:28:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Replace Lowe with Gretzky
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2010 :  14:55:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never thought Gretzky wanted to be an NHL GM. He was pretty happy coaching.

Rumors I hear a little is that Sather's time in NY is coming to an end and when that happens, Messier will be the new GM and Tort's will be given his papers to put WG behind the bench.

Good for marketing anyway!

I agree with this last poster, although not to the degree that K-Lowe is a bad hockey mind. Actually, I think to the contrary. There is something behind the fact he has been the right hand man to the GM of the Olympic's for the past 12 years. There is not fluke there.

However, the Old Boys Club(K-Lowe, Predergast, etc) need to go just as much as the New Old Boys Club (Horcoff, Gilbert, Souray, Moreau).

Fresh start. Clean slate. New Direction. Above all, a little effort on the ice would be nice to see.
Go to Top of Page

HawkinOilCountry
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
318 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2010 :  22:06:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just watched the Edmonton-Pittsburgh game. The Oilers played probably the most consistent 40 minutes of Hockey I've seen from them in a loooong time. And then they blew it hard in the Third.

The Pittsburgh Crosbys didn't deserve the win they got tonight. They were outplayed for 2 periods and almost a full half of the third. The Oilers handed them the game on a silver platter. Why? Because here in Edmonton NHL games are only 40 mintues long. Or at least thats what it seems like.

This game had WAY too much in common with the Edmonton-Washington game.

On the upside: Cogs, O'Sullivan, and Vishnovsky all had solid games. But where was Penner, Souray, Staios, Moreau? Even Gagne was a non-entity for most of the game. Weren't these guys JUST called out on thier un-inspired play?

I could say that you can't win a game like this with only 3 players on thier game, but... the Staal line had ALL of Pittsburghs goals...

EDIT: Was anyone surprised to hear Pittsburgh goals getting loud CHEERS in Edmonton? That was a new experience to me. Must be the celebrity status of the team at work.

Edited by - HawkinOilCountry on 01/14/2010 22:09:07
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2010 :  00:14:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All i saw were the highlights, and the best one was the clip of the dude in the wedding dress with the sign that read "Marry me Sydney" or something along those lines?

For those who don't get the humour, the night before, there was a hottie (blonde) in Calgary in a wedding dress with a similar sign.

I think she was a little more serious? But i could be wrong? Beans, that wasn't you at the game tonight was it?
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2010 :  06:27:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm... Beans, your 5 step plan could be applied to the leafs haha. (sorry to bring the leafs into this)

I really thought Renney and Quinn would have had a greater impact than they have so far, hopefully for Oil fans next season will be much better, im tired of seeing Edmonton behind Vancity and Calgary

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2010 :  06:58:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nope, wasn't me asking Crosby for his hand in marrige. I am more of a Mike Recci kind of guy. They are more my type. When I come to watch a TO game at the ACC, I'll be the leggy fella in the wedding dress with the "Marry Me Tim Hunter" sign.

Anyone who does not see many Oiler games but watch the Pitt/Edmonton game last night, this is par for the course. Stupid Oilers play solid team hockey for 40 minutes and look like they are on pace. Then, a completely different team with zero effort come out for the the 3rd period.

It's either this or that crap team played the entire game!!

It is seriously tough to be an Oilers fan today.
Go to Top of Page

Guest2321
( )

Posted - 01/15/2010 :  07:31:24  Reply with Quote
HORCOFF IS THE MOST OVERPAID IN THE ENTIRE LEAGUE. PERIOD.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2010 :  09:45:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Nope, wasn't me asking Crosby for his hand in marrige. I am more of a Mike Recci kind of guy. They are more my type. When I come to watch a TO game at the ACC, I'll be the leggy fella in the wedding dress with the "Marry Me Tim Hunter" sign.

Anyone who does not see many Oiler games but watch the Pitt/Edmonton game last night, this is par for the course. Stupid Oilers play solid team hockey for 40 minutes and look like they are on pace. Then, a completely different team with zero effort come out for the the 3rd period.

It's either this or that crap team played the entire game!!

It is seriously tough to be an Oilers fan today.

Tim Hunter....LOL!

Saw parts of that game last night only. Was out for dinner/drinks and it's 2-0 and suddenly it's 3-2? Not sure this is any consolation or not for Oilers faithful, but Ray Ferraro was asked on the radio yesterday which team will land Taylor Hall (1st pick), Carolina, Edmonton or Toronto (or should i say Boston?). Ferarro voted immediately for Edm due to the fact they have two inexperienced goalies.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2010 :  10:01:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Knowing how badly my expectations have been met for the Leafs, Beans, will it be any consolation for you in the playoffs when you have to display a Maple Leafs avatar proudly because of our bet?

We are kneck and kneck for 2nd/3rd worst in the league . . . it's a scary competition!

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2010 :  17:29:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Slozo, do you forget that you made a bet in a three horse race?? As long as Ottawa is ahead of TO in the standings, I still win.

Thank God or I would definately be a Leafs fan for the playoffs.

It is still embarrassing that we are fighting over a lottery pick. We should be fighting in a playoff spot.

Edited by - Beans15 on 01/15/2010 17:31:11
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2010 :  19:52:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=306283

Is Lowe really this inept?
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2010 :  20:17:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, it certainly seems like a tough road for Edmonton right now.

They have players making far too much (too many of them, at that) and their market value will not be high, if they can trade some at all. They will have to drop salary, and the way it looks to me is, they'll have to let them go without anything in return.

At the end of the day for Edmonton, they need to let a lot of vets go (and their salaries!) for whatever they can get that may be of value at a low contract price. If they can not get any return, let them walk. It may hurt now, but it will certainly help going in the off season and in to next season.

Begin a rebuild, develop the future.

Irvine/prez.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2010 :  22:28:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beans - you are wrong, and it is YOU who have forgotten the machinations of the bet.

If Toronto is ahead in the standings, of EITHER the Ottawa Senators or Edmonton Oilers, then I win the bet.

Please, look it up. YOu should remember it, you agreed to it!

Go to Top of Page

Sensfan101
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
500 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2010 :  06:35:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I heard the Oilers and Sens were having trade talks including Cogliano and Nillson a possible deal could be
To Ottawa
Coglaino

To Edmonton
2nd round pick for 2010
Brian Lee

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take Wayne Gretzky
Go to Top of Page

HawkinOilCountry
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
318 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2010 :  07:53:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the article Willus, was an interesting read.

With the number of restricted free agents coming up this year is it feasible for Edmonton to simply let some of them go?

Edited by - willus3 on 01/16/2010 08:43:14
Go to Top of Page

Guest0486
( )

Posted - 01/16/2010 :  09:28:07  Reply with Quote
Time to get a coach. I think Pat Quinn has had his day. They need a better motivator.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2010 :  15:55:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

Beans - you are wrong, and it is YOU who have forgotten the machinations of the bet.

If Toronto is ahead in the standings, of EITHER the Ottawa Senators or Edmonton Oilers, then I win the bet.

Please, look it up. YOu should remember it, you agreed to it!

Damn it! I either need to stop making bet when I am drinking or start making better bets!

Although there is only a 4 point spread right now, it's still a long way to go.

And I will pay my debt if I am the one to lose, but today the difference is based only on overtime loses (9 for TO compared to 5 for Edmonton).

I know I couldn't live with myself winning a bet based on OT loses.

Kidding aside, you are right. Edmonton AND Ottawa have to be ahead of TO in the standings, regardless of the method.

(insert picture of Beans sweating here)
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2010 :  16:15:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by willus3

Ok, in 5 minutes or less, no, Lowe is not that inepts. This report is really leaning towards that, but let's face the fact that not ALL of those contracts are that bad.

Let's look at this for a second. Visnovsky's contract was signed in LA, so that's not Lowe's deal. Secondly, he traded Stoll and Greene for Visnovsky which is still a good deal in my eyes. Stoll is getting $3.4 million and Greene at $2.75 so the money is a wash in comparison. And Visnokvsky gets that money from nearly every team in the league. Tied for 9th in the league in points, +6 on the worst team in the league. What do you expect? That salary is not a bad deal.

Souray has been hurt with a concussion. However, when healthy he is still one of the games best and most dangerous PP quarterbacks. He would also be getting those dollars from a different team.

Smid is an absolute steal at $1.3 million.

Grebechkov came off a 39 point and +12 season last year. He signed for $3.15 million. He is not playing great this season, but also had a concussion. You can't blame Lowe for that. Plus, it's only a 1 year deal, so he is off the books in 4 months.

That leaves Staios, who I agree was a bad, post Cup run signing and Gilbert, who has been my least favorite Oiler for the past 3 seasons.

Khabibulin, after last years playoffs and his career, is a fair deal at less than $4 million. There are very few teams in the NHL today that can say they have a legitimate #1 goalie who is not in an entry level deal for less than $4 million. Are we blaming him for getting injured??

Moving on to the forwards. Hemsky is value at $4 million for a player who will get you 50-60 assists and 70ish points all without a legitimate sniper to support him. Penner scoring 35-40 goals is a steal for $4.25 million. O'Sullivan has been snake bit this year, but at less than $3 million, it's no too bad. Not great, but not horrible.

Ultimately, those are the only players other than Horcoff, Pisani, and Nilsson that are getting more than $2 million a season. Now, all three I mentioned are not great signing. However, Pisani is off the books at the end of the year as well.

So where are all these bad deals??? At the end of the season, there are only 4 deals I would consider bad (Horcoff, Nilsson, Staios, and Gilbert). I don't think there are any teams in the NHL that you can't look at and find 4 bad contracts on.

However, I agree that these deals are very painful. Those 4 players lock up $16.2 million of salary for next season.

Ouch!!

However, the Oilers have 14 players on contract for next year for $44 million(average of $3.14 million). The Leafs, another cellar dweller have 12 players for $37 million($3.08 million average) and the Hurricanes have 15 players signed for $43 million($2.86 million).

That shows that the Hurricanes are looking to be in the best position to rebound. And the Leafs may appear to be a little better off than the Mighty Oil, but I know of only one of those teams that will get to use their lottery pick!!!

ZING!!!!!(That's for you Slozo, ya big cheater! can't believe I forgot the details of that bet! I'm not your friend anymore. I'm taking my ball and going home........)
Go to Top of Page

Guest5940
( )

Posted - 01/16/2010 :  21:18:40  Reply with Quote
trade penner,souray and some cap so we ca sign kovalchuk,and bring in a couple young guys like eberle svenson and hall/seguin/whoever
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2010 :  12:52:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the Oilers should go after Marty Biron, he's now 3rd string with the Islanders and wont cost very much, and he is only on a one year contract.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

Guest8835
( )

Posted - 01/17/2010 :  21:20:27  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Canucks Man

I think the Oilers should go after Marty Biron, he's now 3rd string with the Islanders and wont cost very much, and he is only on a one year contract.

CANUCKS RULE!!!

The absolute last thing the Oilers should do is try and sign a band-aid solution like Biron. We aren't making the Playoffs short of a miracle, and Biron is not a miracle-worker. Beyond that, provided Bulin doesn't drop dead next year, we're fine in net.
Go to Top of Page

K73
Top Prospect

20 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2010 :  21:21:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that was me sorry
Go to Top of Page

Guest2789
( )

Posted - 01/19/2010 :  09:37:38  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by willus3

Like I said earlier in this thread, Lowe was not a good Mgr.....Tambellini has a wicked mess to clean up...just look at the contracts and the players to those contracts..it is a joke. NHL Mgrs put themselves in these messes then cry about not having enough money to be competitive. Oilers will be bottom dwellers for at least a few years.
Go to Top of Page

fat_elvis_rocked
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2010 :  12:17:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All this contract talk raises a question for me that could change the complexion of what the 'worth' of some of the higher paid players is, and their impact on the current cap.

Can a player be traded and have part of his current contract salary shared amongst the team sending him, and the team receiving him? How does this affect the team's caps? Is the split salary weighed against each cap, or is it the full contract amount?

eg. Could a Horcoff be traded and Edmonton be responsible for say 60 percent of his salary until the contract is done. Would this free up the other 40 percent until such time?

Never really looked into it, hopefully someone here knows, if not, I will look it up.
Go to Top of Page

HawkinOilCountry
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
318 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2010 :  12:22:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not 100% sure but doesn't Avery have an agreement something like that between NYR and Dallas?

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2010 :  13:19:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fat_elvis_rocked

All this contract talk raises a question for me that could change the complexion of what the 'worth' of some of the higher paid players is, and their impact on the current cap.

Can a player be traded and have part of his current contract salary shared amongst the team sending him, and the team receiving him? How does this affect the team's caps? Is the split salary weighed against each cap, or is it the full contract amount?

eg. Could a Horcoff be traded and Edmonton be responsible for say 60 percent of his salary until the contract is done. Would this free up the other 40 percent until such time?

Never really looked into it, hopefully someone here knows, if not, I will look it up.

This only happens when a player gets bought out or in Avery's case it was re-entry waivers.

However, this exact situation is something Brian Burke has brought to the Board of Governors as something to work on for next CBA. To be able to entice teams to make trades for players by one team keeping a certain amount of the salary. And yes, Horcoff would be a perfect example. Rather than the Oilers paying him $7 million,they could maybe trade him for a draft pick and retain $3 million in salary. Means the other team is paying close to market value for the player but the Oilers are still financially penalized for their poor contract.

It's not a bad plan.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page