Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Sochi 2014

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
just1n Posted - 02/12/2014 : 11:47:57
I wanted to start a general thread about Olympic hockey this year. Finding out a few interesting tidbits that I thought might open up a good discussion.

First one, looking at the box score of the Sweden-Czech Republic game today, Petr Nedved is still playing?? Of note, he played for Canada in 1994 I believe. I guess he didn't make Team Canada this time ;)

Also, I watched a bit of the Switz-Lativa game, and noticed Ted Nolan behind the bench for the Lativians. I remember reading about that a while back, but forgot all about it - he is definitely not from Latvia! I guess your coach can be from wherever.
40   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Duke Posted - 02/28/2014 : 05:29:34
They were a total bust in the most important series....that's all
nuxfan Posted - 02/27/2014 : 13:02:41
quote:
Originally posted by The Duke

Nuxfan, you say you wouldn't touch kessel in a playoff pool. He did have 6 points against Boston in 7 games during last years playoff round . ( 4 goals ). No easy feat playing the whole series against Chara

In memory serves me correctly, the last 7 game series the Canucks played Boston ....1 sedin had 1 point and the other had 3 points.....now that's a lack of production.

He did have 6 points in that first round. I just don't expect TOR to go any further than the first round.

If memory serves me correctly, the Sedin's had more than 20 points each during the 2011 playoff run. Whats your point again?
The Duke Posted - 02/26/2014 : 13:27:57
Forgot to add, regarding kessels lack of production against team Canada......was there anyone in Russia who had success against team Canada ??

Wasn't Canada's last 2 games team shutouts ?
The Duke Posted - 02/26/2014 : 13:22:53
Nuxfan, you say you wouldn't touch kessel in a playoff pool. He did have 6 points against Boston in 7 games during last years playoff round . ( 4 goals ). No easy feat playing the whole series against Chara

In memory serves me correctly, the last 7 game series the Canucks played Boston ....1 sedin had 1 point and the other had 3 points.....now that's a lack of production.
Alex116 Posted - 02/26/2014 : 09:40:17
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan
I would not touch him in a playoff pool though.

Even in a box style with Tanev, Bertuzzi, Boyle and Rinaldo?

nuxfan Posted - 02/26/2014 : 09:03:50
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116
If you think that nuxfan pointing out Kessel's lack of production when it counted most is bad, just be thankful the Leafs never got Luongo!!! It's all I ever hear about him and he not only won gold (twice, but once as a starter) but came within 1 win of a Stanley Cup.

This is in fact the crux of my argument. When Leaf fans criticize the Sedin's, or Luongo, or the Canucks in general, the #1 argument against them being true greats is that they haven't produced enough when it counted the most. If you think it is a valid argument for them, why is it not a valid argument for Kessel?

For the record, Kessel is a great player. I still don't think he's worth 8M a year, but the fact that he seems to have become a consistent producer in the NHL is no small feat. I have him in 3 of my 4 pools this year because he can produce points, and I'm happy to see him do well.

I would not touch him in a playoff pool though.
Alex116 Posted - 02/25/2014 : 22:09:03
quote:

Alex, please don't turn what I wrote into a Sidney Crosby debate.....did u read what I wrote ???.....the part where I wrote....Sidney Crosby is the greatest player in the world ???....guess u missed that part heh ?

As usual, I was just responding to another shot at kessel by a poster here, nothing new.....same ole, same ole.....no respect for kessel again

Duke....

I have no idea how what I said can be taken as an attempt to turn this into a Crosby debate so i'll write it off to too much Jamaican rum and/or too many Red Stripes?

To answer your question, which to be honest I shouldn't have to considering I quoted the exact part of your quote you choose to question, YES, I did read what you wrote! Do you think I just randomly chose a couple of lines of your post and quoted them without reading them??? WTF?

Unless I misunderstood what you said, I do believe you said Sidney Crosby is the greatest hockey player in the world and also added that "even though he didn't score.....". Well, at that point in time, I, in an attempt at friendly ribbing, pointed out that he did in fact score by asking whether or not the Gold Medal game was televised where you were staying in Jamaica.

I re-read your post thinking that maybe you were referring to the Canada / US game, but when you pointed out that Canada played some weak teams, I concluded that you meant the entire tournament.

I know you were directing your Kessel insecurities at nuxfan, but maybe you should ease up on that end of things. He was after all, making a valid point (Kessel loaded up during the less important games and came up empty when it mattered most). Some of you Leaf fans are so quick to complain about ANY criticism thrown the Leafs way. If you think that nuxfan pointing out Kessel's lack of production when it counted most is bad, just be thankful the Leafs never got Luongo!!! It's all I ever hear about him and he not only won gold (twice, but once as a starter) but came within 1 win of a Stanley Cup.

Anyway, if you read the comments I made earlier, I wasn't harsh on Kessel at all, but that's another matter.

Like I said, internet chatter is often misinterpreted and maybe one or both of us is guilty of that here? Regardless, enjoy the rest of your trip and have a safe trip home.
The Duke Posted - 02/25/2014 : 15:02:40
Alex, please don't turn what I wrote into a Sidney Crosby debate.....did u read what I wrote ???.....the part where I wrote....Sidney Crosby is the greatest player in the world ???....guess u missed that part heh ?

As usual, I was just responding to another shot at kessel by a poster here, nothing new.....same ole, same ole.....no respect for kessel again

The Duke Posted - 02/25/2014 : 14:56:41
I'm in Montego Bay Ryan. Grand rose hall. Beautiful place, people are friendly and the food is great....great service and plenty of booze
Alex116 Posted - 02/25/2014 : 14:34:22
quote:

Some could ask, where was Sidney Crosby ?...but I wouldn't ask that because he is the best player in the world, even though he didn't score.......

Did they not show the GOLD medal game in Jamaica mon?
ryan93 Posted - 02/25/2014 : 09:18:53
Where in Jamaica are you Duke? I'm going in April.
The Duke Posted - 02/25/2014 : 09:01:59
Nuxfan...you asked, where was Phil the Thrill ?
I think he did ok

Some could ask, where was Sidney Crosby ?...but I wouldn't ask that because he is the best player in the world, even though he didn't score.......remember nuxfan, Canada played weak teams too, not just the USA

Phil kessel did score and was named top forward.....and you still ask....where was Phil the thrill ??.....this just tells me what I always said, it doesn't matter what kessel does, in some people eyes he is not a star player.

Fact is....kessel is not a star...he is a superstar...and getting better.
The Duke Posted - 02/25/2014 : 08:48:51
Guest 8846 was me....forgot to log in
Guest8846 Posted - 02/25/2014 : 08:47:03
Heh every1. Heh mon from Jamaica . Congratulations to team Canada,and yes, Carey price made more of a believer out of me.

I missed the USA game, en-route here. Caught the Canada vs Sweden game. I've never sees ANY team Canada dominate another another hockey powerhouse ....as Canada did over Sweden in the 2nd and 3rd periods of that game, it was unbelievable ....no contest.king henrick was amazing.......I can't remember Carey price having to make one big save in the last 2 periods.....I've never seen such utter dominance in a gold medal game.
Alex116 Posted - 02/24/2014 : 23:15:34
A lot of sports used to have two bronze winners (some may still do so?). I'm guessing some NHL owners / GM's would prefer this rather than have their stars exposed to injury for yet another game?

I'd prefer they play for it though, rather than having 2 given out.

Nuxfan, I get what you're saying and it's not technically "right" for a team like the USA to "not care" about the bronze, but in this case, it's human nature. I don't think "not caring" is really the right phrase either, I just think that losing their chance at the gold is such a letdown that it's psychologically tough to get up for that next game. The minute they got down a couple goals, it was all but over.
Leafs81 Posted - 02/24/2014 : 15:26:14
Finland is a solid team and I will not argue with you. But they are not the Win Gold type team and they will fight hard even in a Bronze, because they still need to prove to the world that they are with the big clubs. I would agree that Finland had a better stay in the Olympics, since the NHL is there, then the Russian team and the Finns are slowly climbing while Russia are slowly declining. Canada, Sweden and USA all had stronger teams and outcomes overall with NHL players.

Also the 3 bronze medals for Finland proves my point that some team just doesn't care for the Bronze medal. Finland does, but USA, Canada and probably Russia doesn't care. And you know what, these athletes are use to go for the go for the championship or go home. Once they lose in the semis, well that's it, they just want to go home and focus on their next task which is their NHL team.

IMO bronze medal game in hockey is pointless. But I understand that in the Olympics they need it.

nuxfan Posted - 02/23/2014 : 22:23:02
quote:
Originally posted by Leafs81
All credit to team Canada. As for the bronze medal game, come on that doesn't count, nobody from the american team wanted to play that game.

Remember 98 in Nagano, Canada did the same, they didn't care for bronze after losing a heartbreaker in the semi. Those powerhouse teams are not built to fight for bronze, they only play for gold.

So its OK that they didn't play for a medal that they could have (probably should have) won? Mail it in, because they are only built to win gold? Only play well in the games that you want to play in?

Just because Canada did it in 98 does not mean its acceptable. I don't recall anyone cutting Canada slack back then.

quote:

As for Finland would have gave a tough challenge for Canada, I agree, but the way Canada was playing in the semi and in the final, it would have not mattered. They were clearly the strongest team there and like many great teams of the past, they only got better and better every game. Man did they ever shut down the opposition, 3 goals against in 6 games. Unreal.

Hard to say. I thought FIN actually played CAN the way an opponent should play them. They are tough as nails and use their physicality a lot. They create turnovers and create chances for themselves, and frustrate opponents. Like CAN, they are comfortable playing with 1 goal leads, and have a solid defensive core. Had they played them that way again, it might have been a different outcome. But it would have been a low scoring affair to be sure.

We all talk about the powerhouses of CAN, US, RUS, SWE... but FIN is a surprisingly steady team - 3 bronze and a silver in their last 5 Olympics, only missing the podium once in 2002.
Alex116 Posted - 02/23/2014 : 20:15:49
Leafs81......very valid points regarding Phil Kessel. I completely nix anything I saw in the bronze medal game. While it's not necessarily right, I agree that the US "mailed it in" vs Finland and didn't care about ANYTHING but gold and avenging the 2010 loss to Canada. I think weighing more on their minds too was the fact that unlike 2010, they really were outclassed vs Canada regardless of the close score. They are probably kicking themselves for having what amounts to a bad game, regardless of how good Canada played.

As for Kessel, I also agree that Canada did well to shut him down. The argument would be that if you truly are one of the greats, you find a way to score, win, created, etc? That, in a way, is hogwash! You can easily write it off to a bad game by Phil and these things happen, just ask Sid. If those two teams played a best of 7 (US / Can), I'm pretty sure Phil would show up on the score sheet. Simply put, the US couldn't muster a whole lot on the day and it's not fair to any of them to change an opinion on them over that one match!

Going back to the awards, I'm confused how Kessel and Karlsson won top forward and dman AND were named all stars, but Price won top goalie and wasn't an all star??? HUH? Oh, and I think Rask ought to have been the other goalie, if not the #1 (even over Price) considering the team in front of him (compared to what Price had). I still think Finland's in the final had Rask not gotten sick, even though Lehtonen played a good game!
Leafs81 Posted - 02/23/2014 : 12:39:37
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan

quote:

Wow....The US was clearly uninterested in fighting for a bronze today. Obviously a very emotional let down after yesterday's loss to Canada. I can imagine it's difficult to get up for a game like this where you're playing for 3rd though.

It would be difficult, but I think CAN would get up for it more than the US did, they looked very uninterested in the game. Where was the offensive powerhouse when it mattered the most? Where was Phil the Thrill? Boatloads of goals against "powerhouses" Slovenia and Slovakia, then nothing when it counted the most. Back to back shutouts, who would have predicted?

quote:

Nice to see Teemu get another medal! Finland would have been a tough final for Canada I'm sure especially with Rask back in net.

Rask was in net when CAN played them in the round robin, but that was a tough game, and I agree it would have been tough again. SWE is completely unknown, I didn't see any of their earlier games. From what I can tell, they had a relatively easy path to the finals as well, a tight game vs SUI and Rask-less FIN in the semis being their only challenges. I'm hoping CAN can take advantage of that tomorrow.

quote:

Lastly, I wonder if the US is regretting any of their decisions such as Orpik / Martin over Yandle, either/both Johnson's? Even Trouba would have looked good out there, albeit very young! Watch for him in Korea if the NHL ends up sending their players which looks doubtful at this time. He's one of the better young dmen, along with the obvious, Seth Jones.

There will no doubt be lots of second guessing across the board. I don't know if there is really anything the US could have done differently. Its not like they were a bad team, they just came up against a Canadian team that played as close to a perfect defensive game as I've ever seen. They're defense played well enough in that game, only 1 goal against. Single game elimination tournaments are full of surprises.

I agree though, in 4 years time the US will have lots of other options that were not available this year.

Phil Kessel was shut down by the tournaments best team and one of the better defense we ever seen. That game against Canada was the only one that mattered and nobody could score against them. Kessel was actually one of the few that created some scoring opportunities.

All credit to team Canada. As for the bronze medal game, come on that doesn't count, nobody from the american team wanted to play that game.

Remember 98 in Nagano, Canada did the same, they didn't care for bronze after losing a heartbreaker in the semi. Those powerhouse teams are not built to fight for bronze, they only play for gold.

As for Finland would have gave a tough challenge for Canada, I agree, but the way Canada was playing in the semi and in the final, it would have not mattered. They were clearly the strongest team there and like many great teams of the past, they only got better and better every game. Man did they ever shut down the opposition, 3 goals against in 6 games. Unreal.
Alex116 Posted - 02/23/2014 : 09:02:58
The individual positional awards went like this:

Individual Awards as selected by the tournament directorate
Best Goalkeeper: Carey Price, Canada
Best Defenceman: Karlsson, Sweden
Best Forward: Kessel, USA

All-Star Team as selected by the media
Goalkeeper: Henrik Lundqvist, Sweden
Defenceman: Karlsson, Sweden
Defenceman: Drew Doughty, Canada
Forward: Teemu Selanne, Finland
Forward: Kessel, USA
Forward: Mikael Granlund, Finland

Tournament MVP went to Finland’s Teemu Selanne.

Source: http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/23/karlsson-kessel-highlight-olympic-all-star-team/
ryan93 Posted - 02/23/2014 : 07:41:11
Anyone have the full list of the players named to all Olympic team? I read that Price was named top goaltender, Karlsson top defensemen, and Selanne MVP.
nuxfan Posted - 02/22/2014 : 17:33:47
quote:

Wow....The US was clearly uninterested in fighting for a bronze today. Obviously a very emotional let down after yesterday's loss to Canada. I can imagine it's difficult to get up for a game like this where you're playing for 3rd though.

It would be difficult, but I think CAN would get up for it more than the US did, they looked very uninterested in the game. Where was the offensive powerhouse when it mattered the most? Where was Phil the Thrill? Boatloads of goals against "powerhouses" Slovenia and Slovakia, then nothing when it counted the most. Back to back shutouts, who would have predicted?

quote:

Nice to see Teemu get another medal! Finland would have been a tough final for Canada I'm sure especially with Rask back in net.

Rask was in net when CAN played them in the round robin, but that was a tough game, and I agree it would have been tough again. SWE is completely unknown, I didn't see any of their earlier games. From what I can tell, they had a relatively easy path to the finals as well, a tight game vs SUI and Rask-less FIN in the semis being their only challenges. I'm hoping CAN can take advantage of that tomorrow.

quote:

Lastly, I wonder if the US is regretting any of their decisions such as Orpik / Martin over Yandle, either/both Johnson's? Even Trouba would have looked good out there, albeit very young! Watch for him in Korea if the NHL ends up sending their players which looks doubtful at this time. He's one of the better young dmen, along with the obvious, Seth Jones.

There will no doubt be lots of second guessing across the board. I don't know if there is really anything the US could have done differently. Its not like they were a bad team, they just came up against a Canadian team that played as close to a perfect defensive game as I've ever seen. They're defense played well enough in that game, only 1 goal against. Single game elimination tournaments are full of surprises.

I agree though, in 4 years time the US will have lots of other options that were not available this year.
Pasty7 Posted - 02/22/2014 : 11:29:54
Keep calm and Carey on folks!

Hello, 911? It's an emergency, my teddy bear's been kidnapped!
[pause] Hello? Hello?
Alex116 Posted - 02/22/2014 : 09:56:07

Nice to see Teemu get another medal! Finland would have been a tough final for Canada I'm sure especially with Rask back in net. Lundqvist won't be any easier I'm sure but I think I feared Rask more. Imagine how good the Finns could have been with the Koivu's and Filpulla in their lineup? I know, we're missing Stamkos, but we're far deeper than any other team. I'd say they miss those guys as much or more than we miss Stammer!

irvine Posted - 02/22/2014 : 00:36:13
Simply amazing! Team Canada (Mens) did it! Going for the gold baby!

I think maybe the Canadian Womens team gave them some inspiration with their amazing performance of heart and passion. Never give up!

But, back to the mens team. I posted on here previously that I felt Price should be the starter, due to his performance this season in Montreal. Although I also said, I have full confidence in Luongo too. As he proved four years ago, he can handle it. But, Price is just playing A-1.

Our defence is and goaltending are winning these games. Our forwards just aren't producing. Great job by Benn today. But we just haven't had the scoring from up front. All credit to the backend and Price.

But either way, it's off to play for Gold against Sweden. GO CANADA GO!

Should be a good game with the Americans and Fins too.

(Sorry for bouncing around... long friday night.. It's 4:36 am.) ;)

Irvine/prez.
Guest9239 Posted - 02/21/2014 : 14:18:54
Well im glad this is over soon. Cant wait till im watching Boston vs Montreal again
Guest6315 Posted - 02/21/2014 : 13:23:43
Pretty sure Zetterberg's back was hurting coming in to the games. Prob would have been in the same position even if the NHL season didn't break for the Olympics.
n/a Posted - 02/21/2014 : 11:34:41
Canada's D wins it again, with many big saves from Price to boot.

Great game with what was an amazing pace in the first period . . . and Canada's ability to shut down the opposing team's offence just killed the most potent offense in the whole tournament. Go Canada Go!

also - huge game for Price, just huge. Making a believer out of me, as I was one of the people wanting Luongo instead. He was one of the difference-makers out there today.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
ryan93 Posted - 02/21/2014 : 09:54:53
I heard Rask just has the flu? Regardless, there have been a number of fairly significant injuries in these Olympics. I'm among the hopeful that NHLers will continue to participate in future Olympic Games, but this will surely spark further criticism from those who don't feel this way.

John Tavares is out for the season with a knee injury, Henrik Zetterberg is out for 8 weeks with back surgery, Mats Zuccarello broke his hand, Alexander Barkov is out at least a month with a knee injury, Thomas Kopecky is out with a concussion, Paul Martin is out with a hand injury, etc.
Guest9263 Posted - 02/21/2014 : 06:46:01
Rask is injured
Leafs81 Posted - 02/21/2014 : 04:20:05
Why is Lehtonen in net for the Finns. Headscratcher right there!
Shepsky Posted - 02/20/2014 : 19:23:55
quote:
Originally posted by Guest3792

Us women's beat Canada's women's 4x in a row before this game. When the pressure is on Canada is at home..

wrong... Canada also won the round Robin game between these 2 teams with an identical score.

Every day is a great day for hockey
-Mario Lemieux
ryan93 Posted - 02/20/2014 : 18:14:59
I unfortunately missed the game today. Today was a storm day here on PEI, and I had a full day of Olympic coverage planned. My girlfriend had a dentist appointment this afternoon though, and it cleared up enough that we were still able to make it. I drove her, and luckily was able to catch the end of the 3rd and OT on cbc radio in the car. When she finally comes out, she tells me that she got to watch it all in the dentists office! Ugh, I miss the game for her and she's the one that ends up getting to watch it haha Sounds like it was a great game! Hopefully tomorrows game is more of the same.
Guest3792 Posted - 02/20/2014 : 17:21:02
Us women's beat Canada's women's 4x in a row before this game. When the pressure is on Canada is at home..
Guest0765 Posted - 02/20/2014 : 14:32:13
Wow, what a game. That was edge of your seat stuff, almost like it was written for a movie. That's got to hurt for the Americans but great for Women's hockey in general.

The Kessels are really going to have some bad memories to compare after, Big bro Phil's gotta take his sister out for a beer after that one.
Alex116 Posted - 02/20/2014 : 14:28:41
Actually feel bad for the US women. It's such a coin flip when these two play that you'd think they'd have won at least one of the four gold medal Olympic finals in the past 12 years? Crazy!
just1n Posted - 02/20/2014 : 14:23:46
Quite the game between the Canadian and American ladies today eh! I really didn't think the Canadian girls would pull it off. Nutters.

Also, Tavares is done for the season. Not that the Isles were making the playoffs, but Garth Snow can't be too happy about that. Does this injury hurt the chances of NHL players going to the next Winter Olympics in Korea?
irvine Posted - 02/20/2014 : 03:00:02
Yes, we're about to witness two amazing games of hockey I think ladies & gents.

Canada - USA

This game, should be a dandy. Natural rivals in every tournament they compete in, and with how things went four years for the Gold medal, the Americans don't want that result again. They are coming out swinging.

Canada has the size to play a physical, grind type of hockey. But they aren't. Atleast, not the way the Americans are. These guys are forechecking hard, making big hits, and having a presence in front of the net at all times. They are not using "skill", they are using "force".

Canada is going to have a tough go. Canada's forwards HAVE to produce. I mean, Weber & Doughty can't carry your team all the way as d-men. Not both as your leading "forwards/scorers" and your top d-men. Just can't. Less "watch my stick work", and more, "your goalie can't see" and "BOOM. I knocked you off the puck."

As for Sweden - Finland, another natural rival. Both Scandinavian Countries, that play solid hockey.

Both teams have top-tier goaltending in. It may come down to one simple thing. Which goalie is having the better day? Injuries to Sweden may hurt them. A Sedin, Zetterberg. Tough losses.

I don't think we're going to see an overly physical game here. I think this will be a talent matchup. (of course, you'll still some physicality), but I believe a lot of offensive will come from the blueline (tipped on, or in due to screen) on Swedens side. And, most Fin goals caused by offensive zone cross scheme passes.

Just my thoughts!

Irvine/prez.
ryan93 Posted - 02/19/2014 : 18:12:37
I'm not surprised that Finland beat Russia today, I actually predicted they would. Russia obviously have the better top line offensive talent (Datsyuk, Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, Malkin, Radulov), but I like Finlands depth, defense, and goaltending better. The Finns play a tough defensive system and have great team speed. As far as medals go, Finland has more then any other nation in men's hockey going back to the '88 games in Calgary. They've medaled in 4 of the last 5 Olympic Games, and in 5 of the last 7. Rask is as good as any goaltender in the game. It's great to see Teemu still scoring big goals after all these years!

While I found the round robin games to be quite flat, these final 4 games should be great. Starting with a couple of great rivalries in Canada-US and Sweden-Finland. We should continue to see great goaltending as well, with 4 of the best the world has to offer in Lundqvist, Rask, Quick, and Price.
The Duke Posted - 02/19/2014 : 17:41:55
srry guest 2319 was me...forgot to log in.

Chat to you guys later....off to Jamaica, then the Bell center on Mar. 01 ...Leafs vs Habs...gotta love it.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page