Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Sochi 2014 Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

just1n
PickupHockey Pro

282 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2014 :  11:47:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wanted to start a general thread about Olympic hockey this year. Finding out a few interesting tidbits that I thought might open up a good discussion.

First one, looking at the box score of the Sweden-Czech Republic game today, Petr Nedved is still playing?? Of note, he played for Canada in 1994 I believe. I guess he didn't make Team Canada this time ;)

Also, I watched a bit of the Switz-Lativa game, and noticed Ted Nolan behind the bench for the Lativians. I remember reading about that a while back, but forgot all about it - he is definitely not from Latvia! I guess your coach can be from wherever.

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2014 :  12:41:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes. I don't believe Coaches (Assistants or otherwise), nor training staff have to be from the Country they are representing. A reason for this may be, office staff (GM's, etc...) do not receive a medal if their team wins. (Only players).

I recall this from a Wayne Gretzky interview, when he was the GM for the Canadians.

In fact... the man who has coached and basically turned Swiss Hockey in to more of a threat over the years, also scouted Norway & Austria's teams this year (if i recall correctly), and then took an assistant job for Mike Babcock and Team Canada.

So clearly, who works off the ice is not so strict in International (Olympic) hockey.

I mean, the scouts two teams you'll be playing against in a tournament, and then he comes on as a consultant for a different team.... lol. Excellent insider information.

Irvine/prez.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2014 :  21:09:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's like this in most international competitions in most sports. Soccer is a great example where coaches from other nations will lead teams into the World Cup!

Not a very confidence building win today for Team Canada but a win nonetheless. Hopefully it's just a feeling out game and they come to play tomorrow and pile on the Austrians?

From what I saw, they must dress 7 D and 13 F? I noticed both St. Louis and Hamhuis suited up, and they were both mentioned as being likely scratches for game 1? I guess Subban and Duchene were the two on the sidelines? I'm assuming both will get in tomorrow, prob in place of the aforementioned Hamhuis and St. Louis?

As for goaltending, it was pretty much like expected. Not a big test and aside from one error that led to an ugly goal, Price did what he had to. I don't think that error will affect the coaches choices moving forward. Expect Luongo to play a similar unspectacular game tomorrow and then it will be up to the coaches to decide who goes vs Finland, though I think they've already made that decision personally (Price).
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2014 :  02:07:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Patrick Sharp and Dan Hamhuis will be the scratches today, with Smith backing up Luongo.

Tough blow for Team Sweden today learning that Henrik Zetterberg is done for the Olympics with a herniated disc in his back. They are now without 2 of their top players with both Zetterberg and H.Sedin injured.

Edited by - ryan93 on 02/14/2014 02:09:16
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2014 :  06:29:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ryan93

Patrick Sharp and Dan Hamhuis will be the scratches today, with Smith backing up Luongo.

Tough blow for Team Sweden today learning that Henrik Zetterberg is done for the Olympics with a herniated disc in his back. They are now without 2 of their top players with both Zetterberg and H.Sedin injured.

It'll be interesting to see if they can get a decent lead if they'll put Smith in as it may be their only chance to let him see the ice?

Wonder why Sharp is sitting? If it went on performance, I'd prob sit Nash. He didn't do much yesterday imo. Not that he was terrible but he just didnt seem into it like we're used to seeing from him?
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2014 :  18:03:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes tough blow for the Swedes.

I can't wait to see the Americans and Russians battle tomorrow morning, should be a dandy (sp?) Americans are the scariest looking team for me, the most complete. The only thing missing for them is a good puck moving defenseman (ala Yandle hehe)

I like the line of Crosby and St-Louis, but I would honnestly scratch Kunitz and put Jeff Carter with them. Drew Doughty and Shea Weber are so far our best players.

This is the best hockey we can witness, enjoy while it lasts.

Oh and also, the Swiss are scary with their super duper trap game, I predict they pull a big upset in the quarterfinal and move on to the top four.

Edited by - Leafs81 on 02/14/2014 18:04:30
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2014 :  22:56:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to admit, I'm a little surprised that Kari Lehtonen started the Fin's second game after Rask got the first one. Not because it wasn't Rask again, but because Niemi wasn't their 2nd choice? I just assumed Niemi and Rask would have been the top 2 for the Fins?
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2014 :  19:08:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like Canada will face the Swiss (if they win qualifications) in the quarterfinals. I hope my little prediction was wrong.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2014 :  20:21:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More than likely, yes it will be the Swiss. Scary, as one great game from Jonas Hiller and a very good defensive system, and it's bye bye Canada! Would be really nice to see them come out flying and win it 4-1 or something like that?
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2014 :  08:32:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

More than likely, yes it will be the Swiss. Scary, as one great game from Jonas Hiller and a very good defensive system, and it's bye bye Canada! Would be really nice to see them come out flying and win it 4-1 or something like that?

scary indeed - the one team that CAN never likes to meet. Similar style to Finland, and as you say, a strong game by Hiller could be the difference. CAN must score first, or they could be in trouble.
Go to Top of Page

Guest7719
( )

Posted - 02/17/2014 :  16:52:23  Reply with Quote
I think Canada has played a very strong three games so far.
In my opinion they have found three very strong set of defence that can play with any forward lines in this tournament. I also believe they have found three consistent forward lines in Carter/Toews/Marleau Duchene/Getzlaf/Perry Benn/Tavarres/Bergeron.
I know it is great for us if Babcock can get some chemistry going for Crosby with his line mates but why not leave these three lines together and build Crosby's line for a strong transition game when the games open up a little in the semi finals.
I don't think Kunitz should have been selected in the first place so I see no problem with a Nash/Crosby/Sharp line keep St. Louis and Subban on the bench and bring them on only if you need a momentum swing in a tight game.
Go Canada!
Go to Top of Page

The_Gipper
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
285 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2014 :  09:50:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan

quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

scary indeed - the one team that CAN never likes to meet. Similar style to Finland, and as you say, a strong game by Hiller could be the difference. CAN must score first, or they could be in trouble.

don't look too far ahead boyz. Latvia is up 2 - 0 on the Swiss...
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2014 :  11:06:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a game going on now between the Czecks and Slovaks. Easily the best hockey I've sen so far in these Olympics. Led by Marian Hossa, Slovakia has comeback to make it 4-3 Czecks with10 minutes to go.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2014 :  09:26:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a shocker! RUSSIA OUT!!!

And I can't even say it's the biggest surprise, knowing Russia's past performance with stars of this ilk coming together, and knowing how Finland always seems to play way better than the sum of their parts.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Guest6133
( )

Posted - 02/19/2014 :  10:35:39  Reply with Quote
CAN 1 - LAT 1 after the second??? With Swiss and Russian upsets in mind... yikes!
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2014 :  12:29:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a performance from the Latvia goalie. I'm glad Canada has faced some adversity. Americans are next, I never thought I would say this but Go Carey Price!!!

And also, glad Weber and Doughty are playing, man they scored 7 of the 13 goals so far and if you add Jeff Carter's hat trick that's 10 goals out of 3 players.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4006
( )

Posted - 02/19/2014 :  13:37:53  Reply with Quote
With great goaltending (and a sound defensive system), almost any time can win in a one game showdown!

Who picked Latvia to beat the Swiss, and who would have thought the Latvians would give the Canadians a close contest?

Going back to 2002, Belarus beat a very good Swedish team in the Olympics, and in 2010, the Canadians needed the shootout to beat the Swiss. Just think – one missed shot here, or one great save by the Swiss goalie, and the Canadians do not win the gold on home soil!

And of course, one of the greatest upsets in Olympic history took place at the Lake Placid games in 1980. The U.S. team beat the Russians, and as Herb Brooks said (I'm paraphrasing a bit), we could play them 100 times and only win one game!
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2014 :  14:10:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What scares me the most is at one point in the 3rd, the announcers said that Canada had just 6 PP's all tournament long and that was the lowest. No, i'm not claiming a conspiracy, in fact, i blame the way Canada is playing for actually not drawing more penalties. I think they need to play with more desperation. It seems to me that's the method that's working for the US.

Lastly, i really think Subban and Duchene should be dressing in these games. Why have Hamhuis in there as the extra dman? He offers little offensively, and with defense being his strong point, you are nervous to play him over the others in case of a screw up (7 shifts / 5:17 TOI)? Wouldn't it make more sense to have the extra spot go to a guy who you could throw out on your PP or when you really need some offense? As for Duchene, his speed is lightning! On this ice, i think he'd be creating more and drawing penalties in the least. Why is he not on a wing with Crosby???

I guess all will be well if we win Friday?
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2014 :  14:45:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good point Alex on Subban over Hamhuis. If you're losing by a goal, you have a powerplay, you go with Weber and Doughty and if that fails you go with Subban and Keith.

And I strongly agree that Duchene should be there. But over who? Marleau and Sharp are good on the pk. Carter is going to the net. No way you split that line of Perry, Getzlaf and Benn, Bergeron needs to be there for defensive faceoffs, Nash is playing good hockey.

I guess it leaves St-Louis that is really skilled or Kunitz that has chemistry with Crosby. But yeah one of the two should go and leave room on the top line with Crosby. That's my take.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6133
( )

Posted - 02/19/2014 :  15:13:23  Reply with Quote
Tavares is out with leg injury. This means more line shuffling. Like we did not have enough.
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2014 :  15:52:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to admit. Even as a proud Canadian and huge hockey fan, this American team scares me.

They have amazing puck control and forecheck. Goaltending superior, and have a rough-and-tough style forward and defensive group.

They built a team on playoff style hockey for this tournament. And with Kessel playing superior hockey, look out.

But hey, GO CANADA GO!

Irvine/prez.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2014 :  15:56:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well said Irv, and while some may not admit it, i think virtually EVERY Canadian fan shares your sentiments.

Russia getting KO'd was not a big shock to me and i can only imagine the flack they're taking being at home! Big props to OV for taking a sec to stop and be interviewed by Elliot Friedman following the loss. Friedman made a point of mentioned that OV was the ONLY one who stopped to answer a few quick questions. Every other Russian player walked by the media without comment, straight to their dressing room.

Not an easy time for Ovechkin, but i give him credit for manning up and facing the fire.
Go to Top of Page

Guest2319
( )

Posted - 02/19/2014 :  17:39:12  Reply with Quote
How about that kessel ??....i wonder who picked him to have a monster Olympics last October

Canada vs USA......i think its going to come down to Quick vs Price...i have a bad gut feeling on this one as a team Canada fan. Price hasn`t been tested in 1 game yet......i don`t mean those 2 or 3 scoring chances per game...i mean tested.

Nothing against Price,... he is a good goalie but i think Luongo would have been inside the USA players heads more-so than Price, just my opinion.

I would love for Canada to win but it would not surprise me at all to see Price yanked in this one....i hope i`m wrong.
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2014 :  17:41:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
srry guest 2319 was me...forgot to log in.

Chat to you guys later....off to Jamaica, then the Bell center on Mar. 01 ...Leafs vs Habs...gotta love it.
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2014 :  18:12:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not surprised that Finland beat Russia today, I actually predicted they would. Russia obviously have the better top line offensive talent (Datsyuk, Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, Malkin, Radulov), but I like Finlands depth, defense, and goaltending better. The Finns play a tough defensive system and have great team speed. As far as medals go, Finland has more then any other nation in men's hockey going back to the '88 games in Calgary. They've medaled in 4 of the last 5 Olympic Games, and in 5 of the last 7. Rask is as good as any goaltender in the game. It's great to see Teemu still scoring big goals after all these years!

While I found the round robin games to be quite flat, these final 4 games should be great. Starting with a couple of great rivalries in Canada-US and Sweden-Finland. We should continue to see great goaltending as well, with 4 of the best the world has to offer in Lundqvist, Rask, Quick, and Price.
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2014 :  03:00:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, we're about to witness two amazing games of hockey I think ladies & gents.

Canada - USA

This game, should be a dandy. Natural rivals in every tournament they compete in, and with how things went four years for the Gold medal, the Americans don't want that result again. They are coming out swinging.

Canada has the size to play a physical, grind type of hockey. But they aren't. Atleast, not the way the Americans are. These guys are forechecking hard, making big hits, and having a presence in front of the net at all times. They are not using "skill", they are using "force".

Canada is going to have a tough go. Canada's forwards HAVE to produce. I mean, Weber & Doughty can't carry your team all the way as d-men. Not both as your leading "forwards/scorers" and your top d-men. Just can't. Less "watch my stick work", and more, "your goalie can't see" and "BOOM. I knocked you off the puck."

As for Sweden - Finland, another natural rival. Both Scandinavian Countries, that play solid hockey.

Both teams have top-tier goaltending in. It may come down to one simple thing. Which goalie is having the better day? Injuries to Sweden may hurt them. A Sedin, Zetterberg. Tough losses.

I don't think we're going to see an overly physical game here. I think this will be a talent matchup. (of course, you'll still some physicality), but I believe a lot of offensive will come from the blueline (tipped on, or in due to screen) on Swedens side. And, most Fin goals caused by offensive zone cross scheme passes.

Just my thoughts!

Irvine/prez.
Go to Top of Page

just1n
PickupHockey Pro

282 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2014 :  14:23:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quite the game between the Canadian and American ladies today eh! I really didn't think the Canadian girls would pull it off. Nutters.

Also, Tavares is done for the season. Not that the Isles were making the playoffs, but Garth Snow can't be too happy about that. Does this injury hurt the chances of NHL players going to the next Winter Olympics in Korea?
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2014 :  14:28:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually feel bad for the US women. It's such a coin flip when these two play that you'd think they'd have won at least one of the four gold medal Olympic finals in the past 12 years? Crazy!
Go to Top of Page

Guest0765
( )

Posted - 02/20/2014 :  14:32:13  Reply with Quote
Wow, what a game. That was edge of your seat stuff, almost like it was written for a movie. That's got to hurt for the Americans but great for Women's hockey in general.

The Kessels are really going to have some bad memories to compare after, Big bro Phil's gotta take his sister out for a beer after that one.
Go to Top of Page

Guest3792
( )

Posted - 02/20/2014 :  17:21:02  Reply with Quote
Us women's beat Canada's women's 4x in a row before this game. When the pressure is on Canada is at home..
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2014 :  18:14:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I unfortunately missed the game today. Today was a storm day here on PEI, and I had a full day of Olympic coverage planned. My girlfriend had a dentist appointment this afternoon though, and it cleared up enough that we were still able to make it. I drove her, and luckily was able to catch the end of the 3rd and OT on cbc radio in the car. When she finally comes out, she tells me that she got to watch it all in the dentists office! Ugh, I miss the game for her and she's the one that ends up getting to watch it haha Sounds like it was a great game! Hopefully tomorrows game is more of the same.
Go to Top of Page

Shepsky
Rookie

Canada
211 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2014 :  19:23:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest3792

Us women's beat Canada's women's 4x in a row before this game. When the pressure is on Canada is at home..

wrong... Canada also won the round Robin game between these 2 teams with an identical score.

Every day is a great day for hockey
-Mario Lemieux
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2014 :  04:20:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why is Lehtonen in net for the Finns. Headscratcher right there!
Go to Top of Page

Guest9263
( )

Posted - 02/21/2014 :  06:46:01  Reply with Quote
Rask is injured
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2014 :  09:54:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I heard Rask just has the flu? Regardless, there have been a number of fairly significant injuries in these Olympics. I'm among the hopeful that NHLers will continue to participate in future Olympic Games, but this will surely spark further criticism from those who don't feel this way.

John Tavares is out for the season with a knee injury, Henrik Zetterberg is out for 8 weeks with back surgery, Mats Zuccarello broke his hand, Alexander Barkov is out at least a month with a knee injury, Thomas Kopecky is out with a concussion, Paul Martin is out with a hand injury, etc.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2014 :  11:34:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Canada's D wins it again, with many big saves from Price to boot.

Great game with what was an amazing pace in the first period . . . and Canada's ability to shut down the opposing team's offence just killed the most potent offense in the whole tournament. Go Canada Go!

also - huge game for Price, just huge. Making a believer out of me, as I was one of the people wanting Luongo instead. He was one of the difference-makers out there today.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Guest6315
( )

Posted - 02/21/2014 :  13:23:43  Reply with Quote
Pretty sure Zetterberg's back was hurting coming in to the games. Prob would have been in the same position even if the NHL season didn't break for the Olympics.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9239
( )

Posted - 02/21/2014 :  14:18:54  Reply with Quote
Well im glad this is over soon. Cant wait till im watching Boston vs Montreal again
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2014 :  00:36:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Simply amazing! Team Canada (Mens) did it! Going for the gold baby!

I think maybe the Canadian Womens team gave them some inspiration with their amazing performance of heart and passion. Never give up!

But, back to the mens team. I posted on here previously that I felt Price should be the starter, due to his performance this season in Montreal. Although I also said, I have full confidence in Luongo too. As he proved four years ago, he can handle it. But, Price is just playing A-1.

Our defence is and goaltending are winning these games. Our forwards just aren't producing. Great job by Benn today. But we just haven't had the scoring from up front. All credit to the backend and Price.

But either way, it's off to play for Gold against Sweden. GO CANADA GO!

Should be a good game with the Americans and Fins too.

(Sorry for bouncing around... long friday night.. It's 4:36 am.) ;)

Irvine/prez.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2014 :  09:56:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow....The US was clearly uninterested in fighting for a bronze today. Obviously a very emotional let down after yesterday's loss to Canada. I can imagine it's difficult to get up for a game like this where you're playing for 3rd though.

Nice to see Teemu get another medal! Finland would have been a tough final for Canada I'm sure especially with Rask back in net. Lundqvist won't be any easier I'm sure but I think I feared Rask more. Imagine how good the Finns could have been with the Koivu's and Filpulla in their lineup? I know, we're missing Stamkos, but we're far deeper than any other team. I'd say they miss those guys as much or more than we miss Stammer!

Lastly, I wonder if the US is regretting any of their decisions such as Orpik / Martin over Yandle, either/both Johnson's? Even Trouba would have looked good out there, albeit very young! Watch for him in Korea if the NHL ends up sending their players which looks doubtful at this time. He's one of the better young dmen, along with the obvious, Seth Jones.
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2014 :  11:29:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keep calm and Carey on folks!

Hello, 911? It's an emergency, my teddy bear's been kidnapped!
[pause] Hello? Hello?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page