Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Ovechkin VS Crosby Salary

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
irvine Posted - 01/11/2008 : 10:02:21
Should Ovechkin be making more per season than Crosby?

Why or why not?

Ovechkin signed a 13-year, 124 Million dollar extension. He will average 9 Million over the first 6 seasons, and around 10 Million for the final seven!

Crosby will be making 8.7 million a season, for five seasons.

Irvine
40   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Guest2692 Posted - 02/14/2012 : 12:15:46
well it use to be the best scorer vs the best playmaker, now it is the guy who cant score vs the guy who cant play.

Today you gotta take Ovechkin and it isnt even close
Guest4267 Posted - 02/13/2012 : 16:26:19
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9420

ovechkin should be making more and crosby is not the face of the nhl ovechkin is the best there is and that is theway it is going to be for the next 13+ years.
Yes crosby is good but ovechkin is the best next to Wayne Gretzky.
you people dont evenhve to fight this topics so ovechkin is the best and is the way it is going to be

ovechkin rules the world

GO Alex Ovechkin

die hard Ovechkin fan you hate it that crosby is better than Ovie
Guest9660 Posted - 05/20/2010 : 05:57:59
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9840

Another point that should be mentioned is the timing. Ovechkin had Crosby's salary as a benchmark from which to start negotiations, naturally he's going to go up. If Ovechkin made the deal first, he might only be making 8.7m a season and then Crosby could've negoiated for 9m (or whatever).

Guest6729 Posted - 05/17/2010 : 18:00:39
how did this go from ovechkin vs crosbys salary to who's the better player?

They both deserve the same amount, the NHL isn't dead anymore because of them, so lets stop comparing them and start thanking them. I wouldn't be surprised if their friends outside all this media bull. Specially after that surprising commercial they made together.
Guest6616 Posted - 05/17/2010 : 17:51:34
quote:
Originally posted by Reeder17

quote:
Originally posted by Guest9052

You say crosby is the face of the NHL. Its true in Canada but there is a reason for that Crosby is Canadian

I wish Crosby was not Canadian. He does not represent us. Canadian hockey players do not whine at every whistle. We do not dive, we play the game with pride and nobility. Something Crosby has not learned yet.

Crosby is not the Jesus Lord & Savior of the NHL, get over yourself McGuire.

youre completely right,canadians are tough as nails
Guest6616 Posted - 05/17/2010 : 17:39:09
quote:
Originally posted by Guest6916

I heard that Ovechkin negotiated his own contract. Can anyone confirm if this is true?

n/a Posted - 04/21/2010 : 04:59:56
I have to admit, as a poster and moderator, it is the absolute pinnacle of irony and great comedy to me when a poster complains about a topic and yet takes the time to reply to it.

High horse indeed! Classic, lol.

Next time, if the topic is so nauseating, stay away from it! I never reply to topics I find idiotic, and usually, they die.

To the topic: I think Crosby is showing everyone why all the hype was there in the first place when he first came into the league and got all the deals - but even then, I'd be surprised if anyone could have guessed he'd be this great.

The king's crown is definitely on Crosby's head this year, IMHO. He is worth every penny to the Pens and more.

Still, the Pens could just as easily get knocked out in the 3rd round by the Caps, even if Ovechkin is held to a few points and Crosby dominates as he is doing. Let's just all hope they both make it to that showdown, hmm?

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Guest5807 Posted - 04/20/2010 : 13:25:20
quote:
Originally posted by hanley6

... All that Crosby is is a playmaker, not so much of a goal scorer he'll never have a 50 goal season...

You should edit that statement. Change it to him never having a 52 goal season. Then if he hits that just change it again.
Beans15 Posted - 04/20/2010 : 12:41:19
Guys, please don't get into the personal comments.

Don't forget :

RESPECT! - Please respect your fellow members. Follow the Golden Rule and treat others as you would like to be treated. Personal attacks are not tolerated. Offending content will be removed and a warning will be issued. Repeat offenses can lead to a site ban.

JUST LET IT FADE AWAY - If you simply don’t like a topic, just don’t reply to it. If enough people don’t like it, it will just fade away. Don’t tell the person that you think it is “stupid” or words to that effect. Please just let it go. If you don’t understand a topic or it is not really clear. Simply, be polite and ask the owner to explain what they mean. If one person has already asked for clarification then please don’t ask again. We don’t need 6 people asking the same thing. If they do not come back and fix it or clarify their point then just let the topic fade away. Or a Moderator will remove it after giving them time to correct it.
Hugh G. Rection Posted - 04/20/2010 : 09:46:04
I just see a wave of ignorance on both sides. I don't really see why you are so concerned why I do things. I certainly didn't read the entire thing- once I saw the level of responses. I am no longer allowed to comment positively or negateively on threads anymore? Next time stay on your high horse and ignore my comments if they offend you so.
irvine Posted - 04/20/2010 : 00:23:09
Hugh,

If you believe the topic I created is "embarassingly" terrible, please tell me why it is you took the time out of your day to

A) Read it
B) Reply to it

I'd love to know, since you know, it's not worth the time and all. Yet, you took it.

Irvine/prez.
Hugh G. Rection Posted - 04/19/2010 : 22:53:21
This topic is embarassingly terrible. For all the idiots praising Crosby for taking slightly less than the max, let's remember all the extra endorsement dollars he makes off of the ice. I'm guessing its twice or three times anyone else in the league, even #8. What does he care if he loses a million or two from the Pens, if he can win more cups/be on more reebok ads and do more crappy Tim Hortons commercials? Geez.

Who is worth more? I'd give either player the max for as long as I could and be happy about it. I think Ovechkin's contract is better for Wash, since they locked him up forever, and salaries tend to rise over time.
irvine Posted - 04/19/2010 : 21:29:25
quote:

Posted - 02/22/2010 : 09:40:58 Ovie has himself restricted for 13 years...so stupid...imagine how he will feel when crosbies 5 years are up, only in his ultimate prime, and he gets 12 million or more per season, Ovie will realize his mistake..

by Guest2211

I don't see Ovechkin regretting this deal, at all. Yes, if individual max salaries continue to rise, Ovechkin will fall behind Crosby (and perhaps others, as time goes on), however...

We can't predict the future, neither can Ovie. Salaries could gradually drop, due to league/average team revenues dropping. And, Ovie will be locked in at that rate. So if the max becomes $8.5 Million (as an example), they can't turn around and say Ovechkin has to take that. He's locked in at his $9+ Mil per year.

I doubt the player max will ever drop to that, but it can happen. And Ovie is secured.

The main thing though, is injury. Ovechkin plays a fairly wreckless style of hockey. He plays physical, hits whatever moves. Throwing his body around at such a high rate, day in, day out can take a tole on any player. And, injuries just happen. No matter how you play.

Ovechkin could have a career ending injury tomorrow, but he's locked in for a nice pay cheque for the next 12 years regardless. Something, not many players are guarunteed.

I don't see him regretting it. He's making a lot of money, for years to come. No matter what. $124M is nothing to sneeze at, regardless if he could be making more down the road.

So many factors...

Max per player drops,
Injury,
Ovechkin slows down for a couple of years, reducing his value,
etc.. etc..

This way, he is guarunteed.

Irvine/prez.
Guest2211 Posted - 02/22/2010 : 09:40:58
Ovie has himself restricted for 13 years...so stupid...imagine how he will feel when crosbies 5 years are up, only in his ultimate prime, and he gets 12 million or more per season, Ovie will realize his mistake..
Guest4882 Posted - 02/21/2010 : 20:28:44
ovechkin is the most exciting and dynamic player the nhl has seen in years. who else impressed people in their rookie season like he did, one guy, pavel bure. ovechkin loves the game and you can see that in his play. hes talented, big, strong, basically a one man wrecking crew.
im not russian, but they are the greatest players in the world(as individuals)
Beans15 Posted - 10/23/2009 : 10:56:44
Ovechkin increases people's stats ONLY when he scores. Crosby elevates the level of play of the people he is with AND increases their stats.

JOSHUACANADA Posted - 10/23/2009 : 09:35:07
I didn't know about that giveaway stat. Wasn't listed on NHL.com. I dont buy that Crosby makes everyone better on his team than Ovechkin does. Backstroms, Green, Laich hell even Pottier stats are all elevated because the play on a line at some point with Ovechkin. And you can tell me even an offensively talented guy like Semin doesn't benefit because most teams cant cover both players. The only clear cut advantage I see for Crosby is the fact he has a more rounded Defensive game. I might agree with you if you said by leading by example and having his team play a more defensively sound game, Crosby makes his teamates better.
Larrydavid Posted - 10/23/2009 : 06:13:55
Joshua, one stat that you left out.
Ovechkin led the league in giveaways last year.
It is hard to compare these two players strictly on stats. Do you think a team of Ovechkin's would beat a team of Crosby's not a chance. ( I think a team of Datsyuk's would beat them both)
You will see again come playoff time. It is quite a bit easier to shut down someone like Ovechkin than Crosby. In the regular season Ovechkin will get his points. Come playoff time I will take Crosby
Beans15 Posted - 10/22/2009 : 21:34:10
Just a couple of points.

1) You can't fault Crosby for getting injured. This 'durability' thing is highly over rated. Crosby missed like 30 games because he was taken akwardly into the boards. This is not his fault...

2) Take a look at how many goals Crosby would have if he took as maby shots as Ovechkin.

Now, I agree. If I need a goal, I would also pick Ovechkin. But, If i want to win, in any situation, I take Crosby on any place on the ice. Crosby makes everyone around him better and wants to win more than anything. Oveckin makes people around him better only when he plays good and wants to look good more than anything.

The biggest difference between the 2 is that Ovechkin HAS to score to help his team win. Crosby doesn't have to score to help his team win. He does so many other things.
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 10/22/2009 : 19:46:02
sorry tried to make stat chart legible but sizing was off

JOSHUACANADA Posted - 10/22/2009 : 19:43:57
I do get your point that Crosby has a more rounded game, I have said that myself, but that only brings his stock back up to the level that Ovie is on because Ovie is more dynamic offensive player. Both play short handed and yes I would prefer the defensive skills of Crosby, but surprisingly Ovie has scored more short handed goals, a stat Crosby career is 0% on, basically Crosby sits back and Ovie goes for it.

Also +/- wise Ovie this year and last, is better. I know this stat is skewed but it does show a reflection of whether a player is irresponsible defensively.

Using playoff stats is the only clear cut advantage for Crosby, and again that is due to the fact that the team behind Crosby is a deeper team.

Here is a direct regular season stat comparison

CROSBY ---------------- OVECHKIN
Career / 08 / 09 -----------------career/ 08 / 09
GP 299 77 9 ------------------- 332 79 8
Clearly Ovie for the career. Ovie more durable

GOAL 136 33 4 ------------------- 228 56 9
Clearly Ovie.

ASSIST 269 70 4 ------------------- 208 54 7
Ovie leading in 09 Career Crosby

POINTS 405 103 8 ------------------- 436 110 16
Ovie but closer than I thought

+/- 35 3 5 --------------------- 28 8 9
Career Crosby Ovie +/- is rising

PIM 301 76 16 ------------------ 220 72 4
Crosby less disciplined

PP 44 7 2 -------------------- 79 19 1
Ovie by a mile

SH 0 0 0 --------------------- 4 1 0
0% for Crosby? Admittedly he sits back, but 0%

GW 17 3 1 --------------------- 36 10 2
Ovie By a mile, Who do you want to give the puck to when the it matters

SHOTS 971 238 32 ------------------ 1852 528 61
#1 shot man by a mile

S% 14 13.9 12.5 ----------------- 12.3 10.6 14.8
Ovie % rising but Crosby for career and 09 stats
Beans15 Posted - 10/22/2009 : 18:24:11
Oh, Josua, don't get me wrong. Oveckin is the MVP of the Caps. However, his play is condusive to regular season success, records, personal awards, and lucrative contracts and endorsments. It is not condusive to winning Cups.

Ovechkin is flash. He produces points, and does it better than anyone else. Even when he doesn't have to. If Pitt needs a face off win, a smart dump in, a shut down shift, a penalty kill, anything and Crosby will do it. If Washington needs the same things, Ovechkin tries to score.

Until Ovechkin learns to win ugly, the Caps simply will not win.

And I completely disagree that Pitt wins the series with Ovechkin in Pitt and Crosby in Washington. In fact, I would emphatically agree that Washington would have won game 7 if Crosby was in a Capitals uniform.

People don't see all the things the guy does in a game and all of them lend themselves to winning.
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 10/22/2009 : 12:47:30
For those of you who say Crosby is the piston and Ovie is not, I disagree. Without Ovechkin Washington would not even be a team on the playoff cusp. As good as Semin Backstrom and Green are they are not good enough to carry that team to the playoff without Ovechkin.

Last year they met in the playoffs in game 7. Pittsburg had the better all around 2 way team and the better goalie. Pittsburg, hats off to them was better defensively, isolated Ovechkin and won that series. If the roles were reversed and Ovie played in Pittsburg and Crosby played in Washington, in that series you would have the same result and Pittsburg would have won.

Both are getting paid $9 million a year now. Only in 2012-2013 does Ovie get paid more as Crosby signed for $7.5 million. When Crosby resigns I guarantee he signs for as much or more than Ovie signed for the remainder of his contract at $10 million a year. By then we will be arguing whether Crosby is worth more than the $10 Million a year Ovechkin signed for.
Matt_Roberts85 Posted - 10/22/2009 : 09:42:24
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by shazariahl

Maybe this poll should be about who deserves more money between Crosby and Malkin. If Crosby isn't even the leading scorer on his team, should he be making more than Ovechkin?

that one is easy... Malkin he led the Pens to the Cup last year, he is the most skilled player on Pittsbugh, Malkin can take a hit without freaking out and crying like a little baby. Crosby is overrated everyone because he is Canadian thinks he is the most valuable player in the NHL, he's NOT, Ovechkin is but Malkin is close... I rather have Iginla, Joe Thornton a healthy Gaborik, Jeff Carter, Mike Richards on my team, they are more skilled and more valuable than Crosby, thats forsure

...And the LEAFS Win the CUP

Ugg, so typical. It's like saying that Gretzky was the reason the Oilers won the Cups in thye 80's. Sure, he was the flashy skill and definately brought something to the table, but Messier was the piston in that engine and take him (or Gretzky) away and it's a different outcome.

Crosby does more than just score for Pitt. He does everything.

Malkin is the flash, Crosby is the Piston.

Back to case in point, Ovechkin is the flash, Washington does not have a piston.

agreed big time

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Guest6038 Posted - 10/22/2009 : 09:25:58
quote:
Originally posted by irvine

Should Ovechkin be making more per season than Crosby?

Why or why not?

Ovechkin signed a 13-year, 124 Million dollar extension. He will average 9 Million over the first 6 seasons, and around 10 Million for the final seven!

Crosby will be making 8.7 million a season, for five seasons.

Irvine

Larrydavid Posted - 10/22/2009 : 04:56:58
Hanley

Did you happen to see the playoff series between Pittsburgh and Washington last year. It was pretty clear who the best player was. Ovie had a great series but was no match for Sid and the pens. Sidney took that team on his shoulders and carried them through that series. Malkin did have more points the entire playoffs, mainly due to the play of Zetterburg. Without Sidney Pittsburgh doesn't get by Washington. Ovie showed in game 7 how good he is.

Hanley I am not surprised that you put so much emphasis on the regular season. For most fans the hockey season runs into May and June. Lucky for you the season in ALWAYS over in April

Beans15 Posted - 10/21/2009 : 22:20:54
quote:

quote:

Maybe this poll should be about who deserves more money between Crosby and Malkin. If Crosby isn't even the leading scorer on his team, should he be making more than Ovechkin?

that one is easy... Malkin he led the Pens to the Cup last year, he is the most skilled player on Pittsbugh, Malkin can take a hit without freaking out and crying like a little baby. Crosby is overrated everyone because he is Canadian thinks he is the most valuable player in the NHL, he's NOT, Ovechkin is but Malkin is close... I rather have Iginla, Joe Thornton a healthy Gaborik, Jeff Carter, Mike Richards on my team, they are more skilled and more valuable than Crosby, thats forsure

Ugg, so typical. It's like saying that Gretzky was the reason the Oilers won the Cups in thye 80's. Sure, he was the flashy skill and definately brought something to the table, but Messier was the piston in that engine and take him (or Gretzky) away and it's a different outcome.

Crosby does more than just score for Pitt. He does everything.

Malkin is the flash, Crosby is the Piston.

Back to case in point, Ovechkin is the flash, Washington does not have a piston.
Guest8931 Posted - 10/21/2009 : 16:25:19
quote:

quote:

I have enjoyed reading the differnet posts and was not planning to reply but come on you cant be serious.

Ist what happened to malkin the year before.(I think Malkin will be the best of the three emphasis on will) Crosby does more than score he actually back checks. Malkin is a work in progress mind you the rough draft is pretty special.

2. I love ignlia but when is he going to turn it up a notch in playoffs. Crosby has won games by himself.

3.Thornton is invisible when the going gets tough. He cant score so defence just takes his passing lanes away. You wanting him vs Crosby is the reason why some, not all leaf fans lose credibilitilty .

4. Gaborlik when healthy .(oxymoron)

5. While Im a huge fan of all the players you mentioned and would love if any one of them was on the leafs. Crosby at this time has done more than any of them.

Ps I dont care how much they make as long as it isnt coming out of my pocket. If I had my choice to watch Ovechkin or crosby I would pay to watch Ovie. If I had money on a team to win a cup I would pick crosby. That crosby is a whiner is a don cherry production, any player (captain) can be perceived as a whiner. Ilove Mike richards but he is constantly going to the refs (Its his job). Maybe Crosby is a whiners but it has nothing to do with his salary. The arguement about him being canadian makes him more popular, I think is a valid point but on the side that he deserves more money. Because Crosby is from north america and can speak english the fan base of hockey (nhl) can identify with that. Now if the league was in Russia Im pretty sure ovie would be the face of the league along with malkin and, kolvachuk. Again I dont care who makes more.

Also I could be wrong but I beleive that crosby took less than the max so malkin could get the same deal. Im counting on the wizard beans to check this for me.
HawkinOilCountry Posted - 10/21/2009 : 11:36:22
They're both amazing players and personally Ovie is my favorite for his playing style. But my logic on "who should get paid more" is based on how their teams would be if either guy was NOT on the team.

-Pittsburgh would still be a playoff contender, and the team would still have good game attendance.

-Washington would be the New York Islanders with Pheonix ticket prices and a half empty arena.

I realise that Pittsburgh is top of the league right now and Wasington is middle of the pack, but Crosby has been below average and his team still carried him. Ovie has had to have amazing games just go keep Washington alive in games. Oive does more for his Team and his franchise, than Crosby does. Crosby is a brilliant play maker and an excellent media tool, but the Penguins would be fine without him.

Edit: Spelign

The arena wall in chicago should be credited with a goal.
hanley6 Posted - 10/20/2009 : 23:00:57
quote:

hanley6 Posted - 10/20/2009 : 22:44:45
quote:

quote:

the greatest thing is at the moment Ovechkin is 1st in goals with 9, 1st in points with 16, 4th in assists with 7 and he has as many assists this season already as Crosby has Points. Crosby has 4 goals and 3 assists 7 points +4, 12 PIM, .875 Points per game average in 8 games..
Ovechkin 9 goals, 7 assists, 16 points +9, 4 PIM, 2 points a game average in 8 games...

GO Ovechkin.... Again and Again proving he is more valuable than Crosby could ever dream of being

Couple of things.

1) What are their team records??? Oh, that's right. Pitt is on top of the entire league at 8-1-0 while Washington is in 11th at 4-2-2.

2) How many Cups does Ovechkin have??? And don't tell me about teams that are better. Backstrom and Semin far outweight Malkin offensively.

Bottom line, Sid wins, Ovechkin looks good at losing.

Maybe I'm old school, but I'm all about winning.

again it early... Sid didn't lead the Pens to the Cup last year that was Malkin and Gonchar... No one in the League compares to Ovechkin and Sid isn't even the best player on Pittsburgh let alone the NHL...

Personally I don't think Detroit or Pittsburgh will make it to the Stanley Cup finals this year, although there is no team that looks anywhere near as good as Washington or San Jose on paper... I'm going to shoot more on the Lines of a Washington vs San Jose finals with Washington winning in game 6 or 7...

day in and day out over all hard work goes to Ovechkin, Crosby slacks off when things don't go his way and hes a whiner.

Beans15 Posted - 10/20/2009 : 22:27:21
quote:

the greatest thing is at the moment Ovechkin is 1st in goals with 9, 1st in points with 16, 4th in assists with 7 and he has as many assists this season already as Crosby has Points. Crosby has 4 goals and 3 assists 7 points +4, 12 PIM, .875 Points per game average in 8 games..
Ovechkin 9 goals, 7 assists, 16 points +9, 4 PIM, 2 points a game average in 8 games...

GO Ovechkin.... Again and Again proving he is more valuable than Crosby could ever dream of being

Couple of things.

1) What are their team records??? Oh, that's right. Pitt is on top of the entire league at 8-1-0 while Washington is in 11th at 4-2-2.

2) How many Cups does Ovechkin have??? And don't tell me about teams that are better. Backstrom and Semin far outweight Malkin offensively.

Bottom line, Sid wins, Ovechkin looks good at losing.

Maybe I'm old school, but I'm all about winning.
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 10/20/2009 : 17:36:10
quote:

What happens when next week Crosby goes on a tear. Do we take down the Ovechkin for president signs. The comparisons between these players are very close. They play drastically different on drastically different teams, but in the end one does not completely mute the other player on this arguement. I think we will be debating this for years to come.
hanley6 Posted - 10/20/2009 : 17:28:50

Guest0598 Posted - 10/14/2009 : 16:12:39
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4912

the person with the large writing should maybe put a cork in it.
OVIE is the next best Gretzky, are serious
Crosby has already won the Hart, pearson and Art Ross
-youngest captain
-youngest player to hit one hundred points
-120 point season in sophomore season
-6 point game against phillie

Sure Ovie scored one amazing gaol and beat Crosby in the record race, but remember, Ovie is 1 year older then Crosby thus giving him a small advantage in his rookie season where he only scored 4 more points then Crosby.

Crosby also has a more Gretzky type game, vision, patience, playmaking, and 38 goals in his sophomore season, so you cant say he cant score

Haha, Ovie is close to 2 years older I think. Malkin is one year older. Point is, I agree with what you're saying.
MSC Posted - 10/14/2009 : 14:42:38
Is one of the things Ovechkin do more of and/or better then Crosby win games, win play off series, or win Stanley Cups?

Just curious.
Guest8186 Posted - 10/14/2009 : 10:34:42
ovechkin should be paid more as he does a lot more things then just score he also makes the players around him better then crosby does im still not sold on the fact that backstrom semin and green would be nearly as good on other teams
brentrock2 Posted - 10/13/2009 : 16:15:02
I said Ovechkin because he is a more highly skilled player than what i've seen so far.

HABS RULE!!
brentrock2
irvine Posted - 10/13/2009 : 15:54:37
quote:
Originally posted by SuperSakic

quote:

When Crosby was going out West, to play for the first time in Vancouver, etc. They called it route 87. They did not advertise any other teams this way, or any other players. The focus was Crosby!

And who exactly are "They"? That is the media machine waving a "we love crosby" flag. Why exactly is he "the best player in the world"? Because the media says so....Is he leading in points? Nope! Shouldn't that mantel go to the player who has the most points? I guess you could argue that he had the most points last year and so the Greatest Player title should continue until the end of the current season. But at the current moment he doesn't seem to be playing like the "Greatest Player in the world". I would put Lecavalier, Iginla, Ovechkin, and Kovolchuk ahead of him....

Sorry for getting off topic a bit

Exactly my point. What's makes a player the "Face" of team or the NHL as a whole? Media coverage and what they do for the team.

The higher they are on the media list of must have interviews, must see and the likes. The more money this player will likely generate for the league. And let's face it, in the end it's all about money for the NHL. The NHL is not going to make Zdeno Chara the face of the NHL, even though he's a top player in the league today. Why? Because he just doesn't get the media.

Irvine
umteman Posted - 05/02/2009 : 14:44:41
quote:

Guys, guys, guys!! Think of this:

1) Washington locks up Ovechkin for virtually the rest of his career. He's locked into the money. No up or down. If Washington doesn't ever trade him, he could never have the chance to win the Cup.

2) Crosby is only locked in until 12/13, then he is a UFA. Not an RFA, a UFA. He can go somewhere else if he don't like Pitt's direction.

3) The Payroll Cap started at $39 million/team in the 05/06 season. Two years later, it's at $50 million. If that trend continues($5 million increase per year), the Cap could be $75 million by the time Sid is a UFA. The rules that a player can make a max of 20% of a team's cap. Today, that's $10 million. In 13/14(the next contract Sid will sign), that could be $15 million. Maybe Sid signs a 10 year, $150 million contract at that point???

Of course, that is speculative, but I think Sid has more potential to make more money down the road. It could happen, that in the 6-13 year of Ovechkin's contract that players are making $15 million+.

On the other hand, Ovie's money is a sure thing. God forbid Sid get's hit by a bus tomorrow, his ability to earn after this contract is gone.

Wayne or Bobby?? How about both!!!

And to think that the year Bobby Hull signed his $1,000,000 contract with Winnipeg a typical NHL salary was about $25,000 (around 130,000 in todays money.)

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page