Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Ovechkin VS Crosby Salary Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2008 :  10:02:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Should Ovechkin be making more per season than Crosby?

Why or why not?

Ovechkin signed a 13-year, 124 Million dollar extension. He will average 9 Million over the first 6 seasons, and around 10 Million for the final seven!

Crosby will be making 8.7 million a season, for five seasons.

Irvine

Choices:

Yes, Ovechkin should
No, Crosby should make more

Edited by - willus3 on 04/20/2010 15:25:00

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2008 :  10:04:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my opinion, Crosby should be making more. They are both young, with bright futures. But Crosby is the current face of the NHL. And as such, he should be paid more.

Does Crosby need a new agent?

Ovechkin did not even use an agent, he just asked for the money! And there it was.

Should Crosby have asked for it?

Irvine
Go to Top of Page

MarkhamMax
Rookie

Canada
102 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2008 :  10:15:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This isn't about what's fair to Crosby. Ovechkin got the deal that he (and his agent) bargained for. Likewise, Crosby got the deal that he bargained for. And don't overlook the numerous endorsements they pitch for, where Crosby will surely out-earn Ovie.
So yes, Ovechkin should get it - because he was able to ask for it and receive it. More power to them.

Anyway, gotta go. I'm brunching with Rick DiPietro...

"Alfredsson is not Batman's butler's son."
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2008 :  11:33:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Crosby could have gotten the league max for sure. He, however, made the choice to take a little less money which gives Pittsburg more money to spend on players to help him.

Ovechkin's choice, on the other hand was all about his money. Compare to Crosby's contract, it's about a million a year that Pitt has to spend that Washington doesn't. Maybe Ovechkin feels that Washington is not close to having a contending team so he was worried about himself.

In the end, it doesn't matter who we think could or should be making more money. It is the choice of the player. I appears that Crosby is more focused on winning and giving his team an opportunity to have decent players to help in winning.

The real question will be to see if Ovechkin follows suit of his countrymen and his production drops now that he's basically locking into a contract for his career??

Wayne or Bobby?? How about both!!!
Go to Top of Page

SuperSakic
Rookie

Canada
192 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2008 :  11:41:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by irvine

In my opinion, Crosby should be making more. They are both young, with bright futures. But Crosby is the current face of the NHL. And as such, he should be paid more.

Ovechkin did not even use an agent, he just asked for the money! And there it was.

Irvine

It is silly to even ask. Crosby is making what he asked for and Ovechkin is making what HE asked for.
As for the argument that Crosby is the "face of the NHL". He seems to be the face only in Pitts and here in Toronto. If TO actually had a proper team and a good enough superstar on their team, everyone here would be saying "Crosby who?"...but I digress....My point is that Ovechkin is the face of hockey for Washington, not Crosby! For Washington, Ovechkin is the saviour of the team. They are paying him to remain the face and saviour of the team. He brings in the crowd and fills the seats. Not Crosby! Extra seats don't get filled if Crosby is in town. They continue to get filled because Ovechkin continues to do what he does best. So the team paid him accordingly. To say that crosby should be making more than Ovechkin is just jealousy on the part of fans. Look at Vanek - he will make more than crosby as well (on an annual basis) are you saying that that is wrong as well?

And no - Crosby is NOT better than Ovechkin!

Edited by - SuperSakic on 01/11/2008 11:44:31
Go to Top of Page

Guest9840
( )

Posted - 01/11/2008 :  11:53:13  Reply with Quote
Another point that should be mentioned is the timing. Ovechkin had Crosby's salary as a benchmark from which to start negotiations, naturally he's going to go up. If Ovechkin made the deal first, he might only be making 8.7m a season and then Crosby could've negoiated for 9m (or whatever).
Go to Top of Page

Guest6916
( )

Posted - 01/11/2008 :  13:14:18  Reply with Quote
I heard that Ovechkin negotiated his own contract. Can anyone confirm if this is true?
Go to Top of Page

Guest5526
( )

Posted - 01/11/2008 :  13:31:47  Reply with Quote
Crosby is better than Ovie and should be making more.He is almost 2 years younger than Ovechkin.How much better is Crosby going to be in 2 years.About the money , who cares who makes more they both will never have to worry about being low on money.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2008 :  13:54:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest6916

I heard that Ovechkin negotiated his own contract. Can anyone confirm if this is true?

Yes, Ovechkin negotiated his own contract with his parents coming in at the end to help out.

Another interesting part of the Contract is that it doesn't have a no trade clause, it has a limited trade clause. The way I read it, prior to the start of each season Ovechkin give a list of teams that he does not want to get traded to. Not sure how many teams he can state, but it's interesting. I wonder if any other GM's out there will start doing the same. It sure isn't as restrictive as a no trade clause.

Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2008 :  15:05:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SuperSakic

quote:
Originally posted by irvine

Irvine

It is silly to even ask. Crosby is making what he asked for and Ovechkin is making what HE asked for.
As for the argument that Crosby is the "face of the NHL". He seems to be the face only in Pitts and here in Toronto. If TO actually had a proper team and a good enough superstar on their team, everyone here would be saying "Crosby who?"...but I digress....My point is that Ovechkin is the face of hockey for Washington, not Crosby! For Washington, Ovechkin is the saviour of the team. They are paying him to remain the face and saviour of the team. He brings in the crowd and fills the seats. Not Crosby! Extra seats don't get filled if Crosby is in town. They continue to get filled because Ovechkin continues to do what he does best. So the team paid him accordingly. To say that crosby should be making more than Ovechkin is just jealousy on the part of fans. Look at Vanek - he will make more than crosby as well (on an annual basis) are you saying that that is wrong as well?

And no - Crosby is NOT better than Ovechkin!

Okay, I'm not sure how you can compare Crosby to Toronto. But alright.

Yes, each team have a face of their organization. There's not denying that. But if you disagree Crosby is basically the "face" of the NHL. I think you are kidding yourself.

When Crosby was going out West, to play for the first time in Vancouver, etc. They called it route 87. They did not advertise any other teams this way, or any other players. The focus was Crosby! Vancouver were stocking Crosby jerseys, etc. for purchase.

I'm sorry, but, the NHL is all about Crosby. He is their main marketing icon at this time.

To me, it makes him the face of the NHL.

Irvine
Go to Top of Page

hockster
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2008 :  16:23:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Crosby deserves to be making as much as ovechkin
thing is Crosby is a playmaker
Ovechkin is a scorer
i saw crosby in edmonton it was great but i would like tto see ovechkin just as much
he is a pure goal scorer
Go to Top of Page

LeafsFan4Life
Top Prospect

Canada
65 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2008 :  05:40:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont really like responding to another Crosby/Ovechkin topic but Ovi is obviously the player that Washington sees as the future of the club and they are willing to pay to keep him there as for Crosby it seems as though Pittsburg wants to make sure of their investment before they increase it.

Guess that is all I want to say on this one

Long Live Hockey
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2008 :  09:30:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=/nhl/news/ADN4121906.htm

Habs get number 25 this year
Go to Top of Page

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2008 :  10:24:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ovechkin actually didn't ask for the contract. He was asking around 6 mil for 3 years when Ted Leonis blew that deal out with the 13 year deal. Why wouldn't Ovechkin say yes to that? Who wouldn't. If 9 mill a year was reaily available to me I'd jump at it without a second thought. And thats what Ovechkin did.
Go to Top of Page

Timay
Rookie

Canada
105 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2008 :  15:23:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ovechkin is currently second in goals this season and also since the lockout. (behind Kovalchuk by 1) Crosby is third this year for points and that seems like it is much less than our "gretzky-like" expectations of him. Regardless of their styles, they both dominate the game in different aspects.

Are Ovechkin and Crosby worth what they signed? Yeah, I think they're the 2 best in the league right now and not many other players are worth that kind of money. Should OV be making more than Crosby? Why not? OV won the calder trophy over Sid. Plus, I'm sure that Crosby will still make more money annually with the endorsements he signs.

Don't forget, by the end of the 2012-2013 campaign, the CBA may allow for much higher cap room and thus giving Crosby room to sign a new contract worth anywhere from 10-15 million. So Pittsburgh may end up spending more on Crosby than Washington does on Ovechkin.

Wouldn't it be something, if in 2020, OV's 10 million turns out to be a huge bargain! Well, you know what they say about hindsight.

Phaneuf pher Norris
Go to Top of Page

Guest9537
( )

Posted - 01/14/2008 :  06:47:54  Reply with Quote
I think Ovie should be making more...but it's a bit of an unfair question. They both are in different situations, signed at different times by different teams and they probably negotiated the contracts differently. The real question should be does Ovie deserve 9M a season....and that is yes. Who knows, in 5 years Crosby could resign for 15M or something.

As for Crosby being the "face of the NHL"...that's only because they make it out that way. The league slaps his face everywhere and the media won't shut up about him. On a day where he doesn't do anything, you can probably see highlights on how he ties his skates before the game. He's not even the best player in the league right now....that title should go to Jarome Iginla. He scores, hits, fights and leads his team. But I'm getting off topic...my bad.
Go to Top of Page

SuperSakic
Rookie

Canada
192 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2008 :  07:26:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

When Crosby was going out West, to play for the first time in Vancouver, etc. They called it route 87. They did not advertise any other teams this way, or any other players. The focus was Crosby!

And who exactly are "They"? That is the media machine waving a "we love crosby" flag. Why exactly is he "the best player in the world"? Because the media says so....Is he leading in points? Nope! Shouldn't that mantel go to the player who has the most points? I guess you could argue that he had the most points last year and so the Greatest Player title should continue until the end of the current season. But at the current moment he doesn't seem to be playing like the "Greatest Player in the world". I would put Lecavalier, Iginla, Ovechkin, and Kovolchuk ahead of him....

Sorry for getting off topic a bit
Go to Top of Page

Guest9420
( )

Posted - 01/14/2008 :  13:03:48  Reply with Quote
ovechkin should be making more and crosby is not the face of the nhl ovechkin is the best there is and that is theway it is going to be for the next 13+ years.
Yes crosby is good but ovechkin is the best next to Wayne Gretzky.
you people dont evenhve to fight this topics so ovechkin is the best and is the way it is going to be

ovechkin rules the world

GO Alex Ovechkin
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2008 :  15:01:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How profound guest

In all honesty, I think it really goes to show you the motives of the players on their respective franchises. Why did Crosby sign less than his market value? Because he wants to have cap room to keep the other young guns, and do what he was drafted to do, which is, win a championship in Pittsburgh.

Ovechkin? I don't really think he is too serious about winning it big over there. I mean, sure his passion for winning would take over if he had more to work with, but with the astronomical digits that will be put up on that guy's paycheque, well, you really have to wonder.

And I agree with those who say that Crosby is the face of the NHL

Go to Top of Page

Guest9982
( )

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  10:20:20  Reply with Quote
Hey all the People out there that say Crosby should be making more and, Crosby is the face of the NHL Guess what? your wrong. Crosby should not be ,making more. Ovechkin has accomplished more during his time in the league, and ya Crosby is the face of the NHL The only reason for this is people are so caught up in trying to find a North Americain Superstar vs Just a great Superstar. I guarentee if Ovechkin was Canadian or Americain he would be more popular and these discutions wouldn't be happening.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4912
( )

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  10:39:57  Reply with Quote
the person with the large writing should maybe put a cork in it.
OVIE is the next best Gretzky, are serious
Crosby has already won the Hart, pearson and Art Ross
-youngest captain
-youngest player to hit one hundred points
-120 point season in sophomore season
-6 point game against phillie

Sure Ovie scored one amazing gaol and beat Crosby in the record race, but remember, Ovie is 1 year older then Crosby thus giving him a small advantage in his rookie season where he only scored 4 more points then Crosby.

Crosby also has a more Gretzky type game, vision, patience, playmaking, and 38 goals in his sophomore season, so you cant say he cant score
Go to Top of Page

kingwoody2
Top Prospect

72 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  11:09:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does it really matter?

Ovechkin vs Crosby is the same debate as Gretzky vs Lemieux. I think Gretzky is the greatest ever but he didnt always get paid the most. Take a look at this and you'll see (Can't believe Chris Gratton made that much once...)

[edit] Top three contracts by season

[edit] 1989-1990 season
Mario Lemieux (Pittsburgh Penguins) $ 2,000,000
Wayne Gretzky (Los Angeles Kings) $ 1,720,000
Mark Messier (Edmonton Oilers) $ 860,000

[edit] 1990-1991 season
Wayne Gretzky (Los Angeles Kings) $ 3,000,000
Mario Lemieux (Pittsburgh Penguins) $ 2,180,000
Steve Yzerman (Detroit Red Wings) $ 1,300,000

[edit] 1991/1992 season
Mario Lemieux (Pittsburgh Penguins) $ 2,340,000
Brett Hull (St. Louis Blues) $ 1,500,000

[edit] 1992/1993 season
Eric Lindros (Philadelphia Flyers) $ 3,500,000
Mario Lemieux (Pittsburgh Penguins) $ 2,408,000

[edit] 1993/1994 season
Eric Lindros (Philadelphia Flyers) $ 3,350,000
Steve Yzerman (Detroit Red Wings) $ 3,200,000
Mario Lemieux (Pittsburgh Penguins) $ 3,000,000

[edit] 1994/1995 season
Wayne Gretzky (Los Angeles Kings) $ 3,660,000 [2]
Mark Messier (New York Rangers) $ 3,450,000 [3]
Scott Stevens (New Jersey Devils) $ 3,240,000 [4]

[edit] 1995/1996 season
Wayne Gretzky (Los Angeles Kings/St. Louis Blues) $ 6,540,000
Mark Messier (New York Rangers) $ 6,290,000
Keith Tkachuk (Winnipeg Jets) $ 6,000,000

[edit] 1996/1997 season
Mario Lemieux (Pittsburgh Penguins) $ 11,350,000
Mark Messier (New York Rangers) $ 6,000,000
Pavel Bure (Vancouver Canucks) $ 5,000,000

[edit] 1997/1998 season
Joe Sakic (Colorado Avalanche) $ 16,450,000 [5]
Chris Gratton (Philadelphia Flyers) $ 10,150,000
Wayne Gretzky (Los Angeles Kings) $ 6,250,500

[edit] 1998/1999 season
Sergei Fedorov (Detroit Red Wings) $ 14,500,000 [5]
Paul Kariya (Anaheim Ducks) $ 8,250,000
Eric Lindros (Philadelphia Flyers) $ 8,000,000

[edit] 1999/2000 season
Jaromir Jagr (Pittsburgh Penguins) $ 10,400,000
Paul Kariya (Anaheim Ducks) $ 10,000,000
Peter Forsberg (Colorado Avalanche) $ 9,000,000

[edit] 2000/2001 season
Peter Forsberg (Colorado Avalanche) $ 10,000,000
Jaromir Jagr (Pittsburgh Penguins) $ 9,500,000

[edit] 2001/2002 season
Jaromir Jagr (Washington Capitals) $ 10,000,000
Pavel Bure (Florida Panthers/New York Rangers) $ 10,000,000

[edit] 2002/2003 season
Jaromir Jagr (Washington Capitals) $ 11,500,000
Keith Tkachuk (St. Louis Blues) $ 11,000,000
Nicklas Lidstrom (Detroit Red Wings) $ 10,500,000

[edit] 2003/2004 season
Jaromir Jagr (Washington Capitals) $ 11,000,000
Peter Forsberg (Colorado Avalanche) $ 11,000,000
Pavel Bure (New York Rangers) $ 10,000,000
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2008 :  13:44:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some very interesting numbers there, kingwoody2. Just one question, though:

Can you give me the name of the ultimate salesman that was/is Tkachuk's agent?!?
Go to Top of Page

kingwoody2
Top Prospect

72 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2008 :  05:57:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

Some very interesting numbers there, kingwoody2. Just one question, though:

Can you give me the name of the ultimate salesman that was/is Tkachuk's agent?!?

I had to look it up. I had no idea. Bob Murray
Go to Top of Page

Guest4912
( )

Posted - 01/16/2008 :  09:12:14  Reply with Quote
So no matter how big your stupid ass writing get, your lack of knowledge and the urge to force opinions on to other people is just an example of idiocy and stupidness
Go to Top of Page

nashvillepreds
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1053 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2008 :  10:53:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9420

ovechkin should be making more and crosby is not the face of the nhl ovechkin is the best there is and that is theway it is going to be for the next 13+ years.
Yes crosby is good but ovechkin is the best next to Wayne Gretzky.
you people dont evenhve to fight this topics so ovechkin is the best and is the way it is going to be

ovechkin rules the world

GO Alex Ovechkin

I'm guessing this person is currently dating Ovechkin or just plain crazy

Crosby is worth about 8 million. Ovechkin is worth maybe 7.

I think the caps are afraid of losing ovechkin. After seeing what happened to buffalo and Nashville, I can understand why. Ovechkin is the cap's whole team. If he leaves, they'll be way at the bottom at the league. Just like if Crosby were to leave pittsburgh or Brodeur were to leave New Jersey.

I'm sure Alex can be reasonable though, I'm sure they could've settled for 7 or 8 mil.

Ellis or Mason?

Go Preds Go!
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2008 :  14:41:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guys, guys, guys!! Think of this:

1) Washington locks up Ovechkin for virtually the rest of his career. He's locked into the money. No up or down. If Washington doesn't ever trade him, he could never have the chance to win the Cup.

2) Crosby is only locked in until 12/13, then he is a UFA. Not an RFA, a UFA. He can go somewhere else if he don't like Pitt's direction.

3) The Payroll Cap started at $39 million/team in the 05/06 season. Two years later, it's at $50 million. If that trend continues($5 million increase per year), the Cap could be $75 million by the time Sid is a UFA. The rules that a player can make a max of 20% of a team's cap. Today, that's $10 million. In 13/14(the next contract Sid will sign), that could be $15 million. Maybe Sid signs a 10 year, $150 million contract at that point???

Of course, that is speculative, but I think Sid has more potential to make more money down the road. It could happen, that in the 6-13 year of Ovechkin's contract that players are making $15 million+.

On the other hand, Ovie's money is a sure thing. God forbid Sid get's hit by a bus tomorrow, his ability to earn after this contract is gone.

Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2008 :  14:47:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would say realistically speaking, Crosby's contract is better. The only thing that he has to worry about is playing well, but the kid is a Canadian, he's passionate, he wants to win, he will only play BETTER than the way he played when he had the credentials to get himself that contract.

Ovechkin is playing it safe, but I think he is making a big hockey mistake. Business wise, ya you take the money. But even so, as Beans said, for years 7-13 or so he could be messed. And what if the Caps do not turn things around?

I think Crosby got the better value.

Go to Top of Page

Guest8372
( )

Posted - 01/17/2008 :  14:43:43  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kingwoody2

Does it really matter?

Ovechkin vs Crosby is the same debate as Gretzky vs Lemieux. I think Gretzky is the greatest ever but he didnt always get paid the most. Take a look at this and you'll see (Can't believe Chris Gratton made that much once...)
[edit] 1994/1995 season
Wayne Gretzky (Los Angeles Kings) $ 3,660,000 [2]
Mark Messier (New York Rangers) $ 3,450,000 [3]
Scott Stevens (New Jersey Devils) $ 3,240,000 [4]

[edit] 1995/1996 season
Wayne Gretzky (Los Angeles Kings/St. Louis Blues) $ 6,540,000
Mark Messier (New York Rangers) $ 6,290,000
Keith Tkachuk (Winnipeg Jets) $ 6,000,000

This is when hockey salary went to wrong causing that strike later in 04/05. Player's strike in 94/95 destroyed the natural progression of salary escalation from then on. All of the contracts went crazy after this.

I'm wondering if we can get the salaries of the top 3 after the 04/05 strike and see if there are any ugly trends. I think the current unpleasant trend is length of contract, not yearly salary.
Go to Top of Page

Leafsfan_94
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1070 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2008 :  17:15:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sid should be making more because no doubt ovie can score 40+ goals on a team like WASHINGTON but crosby is an all around player, he can score he can pass make plays he can skate he can do it all, so he should make more

>>>Go Leafs Go<<<

Go to Top of Page

Guest4943
( )

Posted - 02/05/2008 :  08:19:16  Reply with Quote
they should both be making less than they are, 8, 9 and 10 million dollars a year to play hockey, the systems stupid. 5 million a year and your rich? to play a game? seriously
Go to Top of Page

Guest4076
( )

Posted - 02/05/2008 :  12:32:11  Reply with Quote
I think this topic is pointless to talk about.

Both players got what they wanted. When Crosby's contract ends, he'll sign something where he is making the max in the league provided he does not get hurt, or somehow starts to play worse. Hes only getting better.

As for the earlier topic, Crosby is definately the face of the NHL and will be for atleast the next 10 years. Of course it would be a Canadian or American born player, its an North American game. He sells seats wherever he goes, you can't argue that. Even in Washignton i guarentee people come to watch him.

They are both fantastic players and yah maybe OVI does make more, but itll end up even or in Crosby's favor in the end i think.

GO PENS!
Go to Top of Page

Guest9052
( )

Posted - 07/04/2008 :  12:14:26  Reply with Quote
You say crosby is the face of the NHL. Its true in Canada but there is a reason for that Crosby is Canadian
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2008 :  00:36:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Guys, guys, guys!! Think of this:

1) Washington locks up Ovechkin for virtually the rest of his career. He's locked into the money. No up or down. If Washington doesn't ever trade him, he could never have the chance to win the Cup.

2) Crosby is only locked in until 12/13, then he is a UFA. Not an RFA, a UFA. He can go somewhere else if he don't like Pitt's direction.

3) The Payroll Cap started at $39 million/team in the 05/06 season. Two years later, it's at $50 million. If that trend continues($5 million increase per year), the Cap could be $75 million by the time Sid is a UFA. The rules that a player can make a max of 20% of a team's cap. Today, that's $10 million. In 13/14(the next contract Sid will sign), that could be $15 million. Maybe Sid signs a 10 year, $150 million contract at that point???

Of course, that is speculative, but I think Sid has more potential to make more money down the road. It could happen, that in the 6-13 year of Ovechkin's contract that players are making $15 million+.

On the other hand, Ovie's money is a sure thing. God forbid Sid get's hit by a bus tomorrow, his ability to earn after this contract is gone.

Yessss, here we go. You are the 2nd person to bring this up....you are welcome!
Go to Top of Page

Reeder17
Rookie

Canada
112 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2009 :  06:33:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9052

You say crosby is the face of the NHL. Its true in Canada but there is a reason for that Crosby is Canadian

I wish Crosby was not Canadian. He does not represent us. Canadian hockey players do not whine at every whistle. We do not dive, we play the game with pride and nobility. Something Crosby has not learned yet.

Crosby is not the Jesus Lord & Savior of the NHL, get over yourself McGuire.
Go to Top of Page

Avalanche_17
Top Prospect

Canada
27 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2009 :  07:06:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Reeder17

quote:

I wish Crosby was not Canadian. He does not represent us. Canadian hockey players do not whine at every whistle. We do not dive, we play the game with pride and nobility. Something Crosby has not learned yet.

Reeder...you are amazing.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2009 :  08:16:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Reeder17

quote:

This is awesome. Think about this, who are the two guys who are most commonly considered the biggest whiners in the history of the NHL???

Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux.

Yet, both are heralded as such embassadors to Canadian hockey. Yet, Crosby, would is still quite young, whines and little bit and people want him banished to a different country.

Go to Top of Page

Guest1423
( )

Posted - 01/19/2009 :  09:00:39  Reply with Quote
OV cares about making money and scoring goals he dont give a damn about the cup Crosby took less money so they can sign other players thats why he is a true champion and captain
Go to Top of Page

ThorntonisTHEMAN
PickupHockey Pro

499 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2009 :  09:11:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest1423

OV cares about making money and scoring goals he dont give a damn about the cup Crosby took less money so they can sign other players thats why he is a true champion and captain

i wasn't gonna comment on this thread. I really wasn't. But the someone says something like that? Ovechkin doesn't give a damn about the cup? you gotta be kidding me. Have you heard anything that he says? Or if that's not good enough for you, anything his teammates say about him? Ovechkin, like Crosby and Iginla and 95% of all other hockey players, wants to win. He wants the Cup and he will get it too. They offered him a contract and he took it, simple as that.

"I'm not dumb enough to be a goalie."
Brett Hull.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9289
( )

Posted - 01/19/2009 :  13:39:49  Reply with Quote
Who should be payed more? Who cares. I think both players are definitely over payed, so is the rest of the hockey players.
I dont understand these polls about Crosby and Ovechkin, these guys are soooo young and still have not proved anything yet. I mean they still have a long career ahead of them and we cannot judge whose better, who deserves a better salary, etc. Come on...i mean give me a break.
Let them breath a little. Ask these questions 5 years from now..its way too soon to make any comparisons.

Go to Top of Page

Reeder17
Rookie

Canada
112 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2009 :  13:42:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ThorntonisTHEMAN

quote:
Originally posted by Guest1423

i wasn't gonna comment on this thread. I really wasn't. But the someone says something like that? Ovechkin doesn't give a damn about the cup? you gotta be kidding me. Have you heard anything that he says? Or if that's not good enough for you, anything his teammates say about him? Ovechkin, like Crosby and Iginla and 95% of all other hockey players, wants to win. He wants the Cup and he will get it too. They offered him a contract and he took it, simple as that.

"I'm not dumb enough to be a goalie."
Brett Hull.

Thank you for posting ThorntonisTHEMAN! Now I don't have to go in to much detail to prove this guy wrong. Crosby took 8.7 million. How is that a cut? The open market would only give him a max of like 9.7 million. Wow! They sure signed a lot of people with that extra million. Actually listen to players talk before you do, in less you secretly talk to OV every night.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page