Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Most underrated player in NHL history?

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Guest4912 Posted - 12/13/2006 : 10:40:10
Who and why
40   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Duke Posted - 09/23/2012 : 20:18:39
2 former leafs....its a toss up between......

Aki Berg and Jonas Hoglund.....
foolpittier Posted - 09/20/2012 : 13:51:26
dirk graham. cuz his stash was tight
Guest2342 Posted - 09/19/2012 : 11:39:03
jake gardiner
n/a Posted - 09/19/2012 : 09:50:15
I agree with you Andy - Rick Middleton wins for me.

Played in an era where I started to watch and love hockey, and I couldn't for the life of me remember him at all. And his stats are pretty good, even in the inflated stats era he played in.

I read his story, and it's such a shame to hear that he eventually had to retire early because of a puck to the head/concussion during practice.

If we vote for this ever with a poll, Middleton will get my vote.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
andyhack Posted - 09/19/2012 : 04:53:07
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9125

Rick Middleton

1005 games

988 points

Guest 9125 knows his stuff! A very "nifty" choice indeed.

And Middleton was an offensive player who learnt how to backcheck.

I wonder how many kids, teenagers and even 20-30 year old hockey fans have even heard of him.

5 seasons of 90 plus points (including two 100 point seasons). Another one above 85. 5 straight years of 40 plus goals (including a 50 goal year). And a very exciting player to watch. Nifty Middleton!

Maybe it's correct that he isn't quite HOF material, I don't know. But the fact that Federko is in the HOF might make Middleton a stronger candidate for the Most Underrated Title, in this TOTALLY BIASED fan's opinion anyway.
Guest9125 Posted - 09/17/2012 : 18:38:04
Rick Middleton

1005 games

988 points
Guest5091 Posted - 09/17/2012 : 07:52:08
Bernie Federko. Heck, GOAL magazine named the most overlooked talent in hockey.

... doesn't matter that I've never heard of GOAL magazine before.
Habsfanwinorlose Posted - 09/09/2012 : 13:21:22
Ron Francis hands down. What was it 10 years with the Whalers still managing those stats?
foolpittier Posted - 09/08/2012 : 09:40:58
Steve Larmer, over a 1000 games played and a point per game player, great goal scorer.
Guest4176 Posted - 09/08/2012 : 08:20:56
he had 9 not 10 9 50 goal seasons
BucketHead Posted - 06/14/2011 : 12:05:03
Tony Tanti, broke a Gretzky record in juniors 81 goals as a rookie. 697 games 287 goals 273 assists 560 points.
Guest4600 Posted - 06/13/2011 : 20:37:46
Maybe Mike Gartner. Despite the fact that he scored over 700 goals, he was never on a winning team...Always went along and got 30 goals silently each season that he played...Many people would not be able to name Mike as a 700 goal man; some would say Mario, but would be unfortunately mistaken...Mario did not have the longevity, much like Bobby Orr.

All three are incredible hockey players, and hall of famers.

The player close to my heart so far as being underrated is Dale Hawerchuk. Long live the Jets!!
Guest6424 Posted - 05/31/2011 : 17:07:23
Bernie Nichols
Guest0734 Posted - 10/24/2009 : 10:21:43
Gartner without doubt. 15 seasons of 30 plus goals, 6th in goals for career and 28th in points. Yet never got any recognition that he deserved. A true journeyman that helped every team he played for and was always an offensive spark plug for teams. Where's the love? lol
Guest4707 Posted - 10/23/2009 : 21:49:33
I second Adam Oates. Ridiculously talented playmaker, the Joe Thornton (except better) of his era.
Guest2641 Posted - 10/23/2009 : 08:46:07
4 words....Adam Oates, Dougie Gilmour!!!

If you want proof that they're underrated, just look at the fact that only one person has mentioned them on this forum (in passing I might add). The 15th and 16th leading scorers of all-time, and neither is in the hall of fame!

Oates did not create Brett Hull or Cam Neely, but he brought them to the next level. Who was the set-up man when Hull scored 86? Oates. Who was feeding Neely when he scored 50 in 49? You guessed it, Adam Oates. He scored more than a Point per Game in his career. Do you know when he was drafted??? Never! He was a college player that flew under the radar then, much like he does now. And team Canada never came knocking on his door? Why?

Gilmour put up great numbers for a long time, and he was treated like a God in Toronto, so many see him as a guy who got lots of credit. But in Calgary and St. Louis he did not get enough credit, and he was never considered to be at that elite level. He was rarely considered for team Canada at the big international competitions, but his style of 2-way player today is a hot commodity for the Olympic team (think Mike Richards, Shane Doan). In his autobiography, Theo Fleury says Gilmour is the best teammate he ever had, and the best player he ever played with. Pretty high praise from a hell of a hockey player himself. 1,400 points isn't too shabby for a guy that was drafted 134th overall!

Today Marc Savard is my pick. The guy led the OHL in scoring twice (would have been 3 times if he didn't get hurt) but managed to slip to 91st overall in the draft. Then Calgary trades him to Atlanta for Ruslan Zainullin??? WHO??? He scores points everywhere he goes, and controls the tempo of the game like very few players can. He wouldn't have even received honourable mention until recently because he's learned how to play defence. Just ask Don Cherry! Savard was a plus 25 last year while consistently playing against the other team's best players. So why did Dan Cleary and Jason Spezza get invited to Canada's Olympic camp and Savvy didn't? Maybe we'll never know.

Sorry for the rant!
Beans15 Posted - 10/23/2009 : 07:51:05
quote:
Originally posted by Guest6331

Hey Beans. Glen Anderson is in the hall of fame. I thought a man of your hockey knowledge would have known that.

My post about Glen Anderson not being in the Hall of Fame was posted in December of 2006. He was inducted in 2009.

I figured a guy with your reading ability would have figured this out.

(Just kidding)
Guest6331 Posted - 10/23/2009 : 01:55:42
Hey Beans. Glen Anderson is in the hall of fame. I thought a man of your hockey knowledge would have known that.
Guest2743 Posted - 10/22/2009 : 20:32:33
paul kariya..... if he would be healthy he would be wicked
Guest4746 Posted - 10/21/2009 : 15:04:46
Dale hawerchuk, huge big game player
ThorntonisTHEMAN Posted - 03/04/2008 : 04:23:55
care to explain your logic? Antropov's best year is this year with 49 points and counting. In the past seven years or so, he has gotten hurt constantly and seems to be almost terrified to go out and hit another player. Care to explain why he is the most underrated player EVER?

quote:
Originally posted by Antroman

Antropov.......Most underrated player ever!!!!!!!!!

"I'm not dumb enough to be a goalie."
Brett Hull.
Antroman Posted - 03/03/2008 : 20:52:28
Antropov.......Most underrated player ever!!!!!!!!!
Datsyuk 1 Posted - 03/03/2008 : 20:21:17
I wouldn't be surprised of that goof (Nash14). He just came on and did all that crap.

Good defense is good offense!
Proctologist Posted - 03/03/2008 : 17:00:55
yashin

butt doctor
nashvillepreds Posted - 02/25/2008 : 15:05:01
Ron Franics. People never even know when I ask that he's in the top 10 for most points and assists all-time. I consider him one of the all-time greatest players.

Ellis or Mason?

Go Preds Go!
ThorntonisTHEMAN Posted - 02/25/2008 : 14:08:36
alex, you are an inspiration to all of us! hanging out on pickup hockey forums instead of homework. i hereby give you the "Pickup Hockey Forum Addict" award!
to all, a good night and we will talk again soon i am sure!

Brett Hull.
Alex Posted - 02/25/2008 : 14:05:05
quote:
Originally posted by ThorntonisTHEMAN

as much as i would love to continue to argue this (because i do love to argue this topic) it is time for me to leave work now! time for me to go out for supper with my woman! so alex, have a wonderful night and i'll talk to you later!

Brett Hull.

You too thorntonisTHEMAN. Lucky (or maybe not so lucky, haha) for the rest of you forum addicts, I can stay here for tonight. My lady is tied up with work tonight... the same work I should be doing, but choose to neglect in favour of pick up hockey. Is there some sort of award for that ?

Habs get number 25 this year
ThorntonisTHEMAN Posted - 02/25/2008 : 14:03:20
as much as i would love to continue to argue this (because i do love to argue this topic) it is time for me to leave work now! time for me to go out for supper with my woman! so alex, have a wonderful night and i'll talk to you later!

Brett Hull.
Alex Posted - 02/25/2008 : 14:00:58
He may not smile as much as Ovechkin when he scores, which I'm sure is the mental picture everyone gets when they think of Ovie's passion for the game. That, and the infamous ''does this kid ever LOOOVE to score!''

But to get that good, you work at it, and you gosh darn love the game! He is Canadian and being compared to Gretzky, what more could he want? He loves his team he loves his job he loves his city and he loves his fans and most of all he loves the game and gives it a good name. Can't ask for much more except for maybe a healthy ankle.

ThorntonisTHEMAN Posted - 02/25/2008 : 13:58:25
He was constantly whining to the refs about this and that. "this shouldn't have been a penalty" "this should've been a penalty". and so on and so forth. a bunch of NHL players were starting to get annoyed. (from what i've heard). However, he was young, i'll give him that and he has matured a lot. But he doesn't have the same gritty, "play hockey cuz i love hockey" style that Ovie has!

Brett Hull.
Alex Posted - 02/25/2008 : 13:53:22
What did he whine about? I followed only the Leafs Sens and obviously Habs back then, wasn't really into fantasy hockey or following the stars.

I always thought he conducted himself with a lot of dignity and class. Unlike the Allen Iverson's or Barry Bonds or Shaquille O'Neal or, obviously, Terrel Owens of the world, I think, in general, hockey players by and large conduct themselves with class.

ThorntonisTHEMAN Posted - 02/25/2008 : 13:50:06
awe. touching. lol no seriously, i am not denying that he isn't a fantastic hockey player! anyone that does deny that is an idiot! and i admire his skill level and his talent as he is definitly up among the top players in the game today. However, i lost a lot of respect for him in his first year in the NHL when he was constantly whining about everything. albeit, he was young and he has grown up a lot but that didn't give me a good impression. Also, i am a huge Ovechkin fan. and it's basically become that you are a ovechkin fan or a crosby fan. Or maybe i don't like him cuz of dam jealousy!

Brett Hull.
Alex Posted - 02/25/2008 : 13:37:09
Try this one on for size, an interview with at the time 14 year old Sidney Crosby, and footage!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neO44K7Awg0

I think that everyone is looking for the next Gretzky, it is just a natural inclination to want to see history made through superstars.

I mean, you have to admit, not many people come around with as much promise as Sidney, it is exciting to think of the impossible happening. You can't not like a guy for that... well you can, I just think you should work on differentiating what is just annoying and what really grinds your gears.

If Crosby was unheard of before he made the NHL, everyone would love him without any haters.

ThorntonisTHEMAN Posted - 02/25/2008 : 13:31:39
as long as they wouldn't have Crosby! ok, your right. So i do like Pittsburgh, i'm just sick of Crosby mania.

Brett Hull.
ThorntonisTHEMAN Posted - 02/25/2008 : 13:21:57
sorry, alex, i am not a Pittsburgh fan. actually, i'm not a crosby fan so therefore, i am not a Pittsburgh fan. However, i am a huge Letang and Fleury fan. Especially Fleury. I just hope that his career can get back on track and he can continue to develop into a top-notch goalie. I would love to see Fleury go to Washington though!

Brett Hull.
Alex Posted - 02/25/2008 : 12:35:46
Now I can say with utmost certainty

''ThorntonisTHEMAN speaks the words of truth''

Except for one thing, and that is, NO, dont leave the Pens Malkin! This is an exciting team from its conception, always boasting a plethora of superstars in their repitoire, and Malkin is one of them. He works so well with Crosby, he and others like young Fleury, Staal and Letang are the essence of that team. They belong there all working together for a common goal.

In the parity filled NHL of today, it would be oh so nice to see a team that built itself from scratch capture the ultimate prize. Here is to the Pittsbrugh Pengunis! (Behind, of course, those Canadiens!)

ThorntonisTHEMAN Posted - 02/25/2008 : 11:50:11
Alex you are right. you put me to shame. I guess my thinking was that he could play on the top line with ovie since ovechkin is a left wing, not a centre like sid. But let me change that, put Malkin on a team such as LA or PHoenix or Edmonton or Toronto, and you would be able to see how good the kid really is. But as long as he stays in Pittsburgh, he will be under the shadow of #87.

so my message for Malkin is: "GET OUT OF PITTSBURGH" lol

Brett Hull.
Alex Posted - 02/25/2008 : 11:41:20
If you think on the Pens he is underrated, what is different about being on the Capitals with Alex Ovechkin?

You write a compelling argument, but follow up with a weak, and bordering on counterproductive resolution...

Tsk tsk

ThorntonisTHEMAN Posted - 02/25/2008 : 10:28:00
People may disagree with me but i say that Evgeni Malkin will be extremely underrated and overlooked! On any other team he would be a superstar but on PIttsburgh, he is just a second line centre behind Sid. Now that SId is hurt, Malkin is tearing up the league. I'm hoping Malkin leaves Sid's shaddow and joins a different team! Imagine Malkin and Ovie together!

Brett Hull.
Datsyuk 1 Posted - 02/21/2008 : 20:58:36
Another really underatted players in history is Chris Drury. Great leader, blocks shots, scores clutch goals and a great overall player.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page