Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Hockey Trivia & Other Games
 The PickUpHockey Cyber-Cup

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alex Posted - 03/24/2008 : 10:02:18
Good idea for a game came to mind. What we will do is see who knows their playoff hockey the best!

Round One - Conference Quarterfinals
Once the NHL season is over, all interested members should post a list of who they think will win each matchup. All those with an 75 percent accuracy (ie. 6 or more of their 8 picks move on) will get to play in the next round.

Round Two - Conference Semifinals
All the members who picked with 100 percent accuracy move on.

Round Three - Conference Finals
All members who picked with 100 percent accuracy and predicted with at least 50 percent accuracy how long one of the two best of sevens would last move on.

Round Four - Finals
Before the start of each game, members need to bet on the winner. If it gets really close, we will go by amount of goals.

Obviously the rules can be adapted based on how it goes. Turnout will play a big role. We will see if not enough people make it to the next rounds, or too many do, how we should adapt the rules accordingly. I am open to suggestion.

Unlike all the games where a lot of you guys stay out, I think this one should not be hard to enter. I really want to try and involve everyone. Especially, I mean, especially the mods. We all know how much they know about hokcey history; how well can they predict the future?

You can start signing up now. I will post in a seperate posts the members involved. It should not take too long to simply pick 8 teams who you think will win. Just for fun guys. Please try and join
40   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
HabsBiggestFan Posted - 06/24/2008 : 15:52:12
Well, at least I got 4th
As Alex mentioned pointed out one of the most predictable playoffs. Too bad I couldn't predict the predictable!LOL

PS I'm back now (first post in a couple months)

Go Detroit!
PainTrain Posted - 06/05/2008 : 15:59:34
Do I get any Bonus Points because I picked Detroit in six games and they did?

When the going gets tough....the tough get going!
Timay Posted - 06/05/2008 : 15:57:23
Congrats Alex!!

Phaneuf pher Norris
Alex Posted - 06/05/2008 : 10:28:14
PickUpHockey Cyber Cup: Final Standings

(For players who played all 4 rounds)

Alex 12 / 15
PainTrain 11 / 15
GSG12 10 / 15
OilinOntario 9 / 15
Timay 9 / 15
HabsBuggestFan 9 / 15

Looks like I am your champ boys I invite you all to do a recount since it was hard to sift through all the predictions and I may have erred in the process.

To be honest it wasn't so hard this year. For the most part, the logical pick made it through. All of us who followed the NHL all season can't really say we were all that surprised with the turnout.

Too bad some of us left early. MyTor_4 had only one mistake in the first round... 99pickles and Sakic1969 also had impressive records before their untimely exit. Guess that's the way the cookie crumbles! See y'all next year!

Your beloved champ,
-Da King

(I'm officially changing my profile signature.)
PainTrain Posted - 05/24/2008 : 08:36:36
Detroit in 6. Read my post in the Featured Poll, that will tell you why.

When the going gets tough....the tough get going!

EDIT: I'm also 10 for 14 if I counted right. I think we should do what Beans said Alex and combine a total one. Then it might just be really really intense to see who can win the cyber cup!
Gostarsgo12 Posted - 05/22/2008 : 06:44:25
Detroit in 7
Timay Posted - 05/21/2008 : 21:10:23
Ok then.. I'll be the first!

Pittsburgh vs. Detroit

That's tougher than it looks. At first I figured Detroit, but after thinking about it some more.. I'm gonna hafta say...

Pittsburgh in six!

Phaneuf pher Norris
HabsBiggestFan Posted - 05/11/2008 : 20:21:01
Picking Detroit and Pittsburgh

Nasty....Philly
OILINONTARIO Posted - 05/07/2008 : 15:19:58
Dallas over Detroit
Philadelphia over Pittsburgh

The Oil WILL make the playoffs in 2009.
n/a Posted - 05/07/2008 : 06:26:05
I am picking Dallas to upset Detroit in 6 games, Pittsburgh to beat Philly in 5 games.

Hopefully those teams actually play each other this time

Excited for the Pennsylnania series, should be a good one!

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Alex Posted - 05/06/2008 : 04:08:01
Like I said, anyone who wants to give their picks in is welcome to!
As for mine:

The west seems like an easy pick. At the start of every series you always have your ''what-ifs''. Well, how can you go against Detroit? Dallas is good, and so is Turco, but Detroit is just a cut above... or wait, is that Quiznos

Dallas has shown signs of breakdowns and almost let the last two series slip away. A team like Detroit, which will not get behind the eight ball in the first place, will be hungry and pounce all over them.

Detroit for the West

The east is harder, considering the Pens losing record against a Philly team that is red hot right now. Yet, I'd like to think that talent beats brawn and the good guys move on.

Pittsburgh for the East

EDIT This round could decide it all! As I have all playoffs I'm going to go with my mind, not heart, and say Detroit as 2008 Cup Champs.
Gostarsgo12 Posted - 05/05/2008 : 20:58:25
Pittsburgh and Dallas
I still like Beans idea to have all of are picks right count for the whole thing but its up to you Alex.

Go Stars!!!
PainTrain Posted - 05/05/2008 : 18:16:09
I went 2 for 4 on the last round. The stupid West screwed me up.

Detroit to win in the west.

Now for the east. This is definatly a tough one. Philly is playing a very good team game and throw in that Umberger and Biron are playing spectacular. But that Pitt team has some stars and when all those 4 lines are rolling there's not much that can stop them. If Philly plays physical they can win. Also to throw in, Pitt hasn't faced much adversity. I mean they've only lost one game. Philly's been to game 7 in O.T and they played a very deep Montreal team. For some weird and odd reason I think Philly will win.

Philly in 7. I can't believe I'm saying it but I'm going with my gut not my brain.
Beans15 Posted - 05/05/2008 : 15:19:53
I will not admit that I was wrong!!

Seriously, can anyone disagree that NYR only played anywhere near their potential for about 5 periods in 5 games??? I think the Rangers beat themselves more so than they lost to Pitt

Not to take anything away from Pitt, they deserved to win.

2nd Round. Tough.

I would like to see Dallas beat Detroit but I don't think it will happen. I know that there are a lot of people talking about the fact that Detroit had an easier scheduled in the regular season and that the Colorado team they just spanked didn't really show up and had a depleated roster. However, Detroit looks very sharp. No one can argue that. They look incredibly sharp and they are healthy and rested for the most part. I can see Detroit getting up 2-0, just leaning on Dallas and winning in 6. Dallas has had the chance to get up quick on their first two opponents but I just don't see that happening at the Joe.

Pitt and Philly is making me hope for rain to keep me off the golf course. Their regular season games were all pretty solid. The one thing that Philly will give to Pitt that they have not seen in about a month is a very physical game. You seen in game 4 against NYR that Pitt lost some composure when they were behind and the Rangers were hitting. I absolutely guarentee that Philly will set the tone for the series in the first 5 minutes. Anything with a dorky Penguin on the front will get rocked at every single opportunity. One of two things will happen. Pitt will punish Philly on the PP or Philly will get in their kitchen and throw off their game. Biron is really sharp right now and Philly is that dangerous kind of team that most people wrote off but they are still sticking around. They kind of remind me of that Edmonton team from a few years ago that beat Detroit, Anaheim, and SJ on the way to the final. Philly was supposed to lose to Washington. They didn't. Then everyone said that Philly was for sure going to lose to Montreal. They didn't. Now they are supposed to lose to this young talented team from Pittsburgh.Pitt has been rolling and are expected to win. Philly is expected to lose. The pressure is on the Pens here, not Philly.

I see an angry long series coming in the East. And although most if not all of my predictions this year have been wrong, I see a Flying Orange P in the Finals against a stupid Winged Wheel.
Timay Posted - 05/05/2008 : 14:15:52
I'll be in Winnipeg for the next while so here are my third round predictions: (I know I'll get one of these wrong)

Detroit vs. Dallas ------------- Dallas Stars (6 games)
Pittsburgh vs. Philadelphia -- Pittsburgh Penguins (5 games)

Hey Beans, any theories on these?

Phaneuf pher Norris
Guest9874 Posted - 05/04/2008 : 16:19:34
yo guest 9870 is still in why didnt u say he was in also mytor4 gooilgo and pasty never gave their second roud votes what gives?
Timay Posted - 05/04/2008 : 14:40:15
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

I am not saying that it's impossible for Pitt to win, but I don't think it is likely. At the very least, to say Pitt in 4 or 5 is completely amazing to me.

I think in about 10 days, you will be saying, "yeah Beans, you were right," and I will be saying, "Told you so."

Or else I will just look like an a$$. Don't worry, I've been there before.

Ummm, hate to say "I told you so" but actually... I'm glad to say "I told you so!"

Just bugging you Beans.. it was actually a close series tho. Lol, the only series I predicted right and you had to go out of your way to make a big speech of why it will never happen lol. Unless San Jose can win tonight... Go Clowe!
n/a Posted - 04/30/2008 : 12:02:02
Beans verdict on NYR prognostications:

opinion fades away . . .

And before someone points out again that I picked the Rangers and Pittsburgh while half drunk on wine - I would have picked NY against Montreal, but not against Pittsburgh.

Real story: how many sweeps to be in the third round, holy crap, eh?

perryfan Posted - 04/29/2008 : 23:42:44
Okay, I know I'm way late and didn't even qualify, but I was just so sad. No more Ducks. Honestly, I've only watched one or two games since then. Anyway, for what it's worth...
Stars (please please please, so I can feel better about my boys losing)
Redwings (do people actually think the Avs have a shot?)
Flyers (my husband's 2nd fave team...go Philly!)
Rangers (they worked for me last round, so I'm sticking with them.)

Good luck, psychics!
Sakic1969 Posted - 04/29/2008 : 07:28:12
East: Rangers
Flyers

West: Sharks
Avalanche

Jay
Timay Posted - 04/26/2008 : 19:48:30
I agree, I think their experience will shine through their aging bodies. I watch Chelios in Detroit and think, wow, he's so smart with the puck that it makes up for his age. He doesn't have the legs any more and can't last as long or hustle like the young guys, but his hockey smarts balance out his weakness. However, in saying that, I am still predicting a Penguin win in game 2. Bets anyone?

Phaneuf pher Norris
Beans15 Posted - 04/26/2008 : 09:56:04
Although I didn't like the result of the game, it provides some unique questions for the rest of the series. In the end the entire game came down to bounces. I think 4 goals were in off bounces or unintentionaly deflections. That won't be the same for the rest of the series.

NY definately should not have lost that lead, but I still think that Lunqvist was the far better of the 2 goalies and that the NY defense played weak in front of him considering they were the class of the East this season. Although he made only two more saves than MAF, Pitt had the bulk of the scoring chances.

It was good. I enjoyed the game outside of the result. I think it will be a great series and it is far from over yet. Just consider if NY wins game 2, Pitt has to win 3 out of 5 games with 3 of those games in NY. A next game win by NY and it's a totally different series. This game will see the experience either shine or in your opinion fade away.
Timay Posted - 04/26/2008 : 09:27:07
You're right Beans, the Rangers' top 4 guys have got all the trophies and cups and hardware over their careers to fill a warehouse, but their best days are behind them. Yammy is 36 and Shanny's pushing 40. Is it possible that say, Crosby, Malkin, Hossa, and Sykora may one day have just as much hardware as the blueshirts' four? If not, more? And when are they going to accumulate their cup rings -- in their prime! This year may be a start.
Don't get me wrong, even though I predicted them in 5 I still think it will be a close series. (look at game one) I just can't give the older guys too much credit as I'd rather have the Pens' top four playing good right now than the Rangers' top four. What did you think of game one by the way?

Phaneuf pher Norris
Gostarsgo12 Posted - 04/24/2008 : 19:46:38
Im out but my picks are

Pittsburgh
Montreal
Dallas
Detroit

Go Stars!!!
HabsBiggestFan Posted - 04/24/2008 : 19:43:16
Montreal
Detroit
Pittsburgh
San Jose
Sorry my picks are a little late but I was so busy today...Oh well.

Goodbye Bruins!
99pickles Posted - 04/24/2008 : 13:01:30
Pitt def Rangers in 6
Mont def Philly in 7

Dallas def San Jose in 6
Det def Clorado in 5
Guest6406 Posted - 04/24/2008 : 11:40:06
Rangers
Montreal

Colorado
Sharks
OILINONTARIO Posted - 04/23/2008 : 21:45:22
Beans, are you picking NYR to win the cup? You could get some great odds on that I'm sure. You made some good points, but most would agree that they are underdogs going into round 2. Personally, I think either Fleury or Lundquist will decide who wins this series, and I think the Pens will prevail.

Beans15 Posted - 04/23/2008 : 21:30:05
I am out, and that is fine. I made some risky picks that didn't turn out.

I just wanted to say that wow. Seriously, wow. Only one person in the second round took the Rangers, and they called it a sleeper pick at that?? What??? Seriously. Shocked.

Let me tell you the 4 reasons that Pitt will lose this series.

1) Chris Drury - Only Sakic has more play off goals in the past decade than Drury. Chris Drury has won the Stanley Cup, Calder Memorial Trophy,Olympic Silver and.................THE LITTLE LEAGUE WORLD SERIES.

2) Brendan Shanahan - 3 Rings(Two of them Back to Back), 3 Gold Medals and a silver. Over 700 career goals (reg season and play offs)

3) Scott Gomez - Couple of Rings. 10 points in the playoffs as a rookie. Led the league in assists in 03/04.

4) Yammy Jagr - 2 Rings, back to back. 2 Golds and a Bronze internationally. The best European Hockey Player to lace'em up. Hart Winner and a finalist or winner 6 times

What's my point?? Those 4 guys alone not only have more playoff experience than the entire Pitt team combined and they also have 7 more rings. Just those 4 guys!!! Scary thing is that they are all playing good right now. 22 points in 5 games against the best goalie in the league today.Those 4 guys win everywhere they have been at every level. This doesn't include one of the top 5 goalies in the league and a defense that has silenced critics. Throw in a stable shutdown 3rd line and a superduper uber pest in Avery and no injuries to speak of. That is a Stanley Cup formula.

The Rangers were built for the playoffs alone. That's it. The Rangers had 3.80 goals per game against NJ on 30 shots per game against the 5th stingiest team in the reg season. Pitt had 4 goals per game on 40 shots/game against Ottawa, who was the 6th worst team in the league for goals against in the reg season.

It is the Rangers with the fire power advantage.

I am not saying that it's impossible for Pitt to win, but I don't think it is likely. At the very least, to say Pitt in 4 or 5 is completely amazing to me.

I think in about 10 days, you will be saying, "yeah Beans, you were right," and I will be saying, "Told you so."

Or else I will just look like an a$$. Don't worry, I've been there before.

Timay Posted - 04/23/2008 : 20:00:22
EAST

(1)Montreal / (6)Philadelphia - Montreal (7 games)
(2)Pittsburgh / (5)NY Rangers - Pittsburgh (5 games)

WEST

(1)Detroit / (6)Colorado - Detroit (6 games)
(2)San Jose / (5)Dallas - San Jose (7 games)
Keith Posted - 04/23/2008 : 16:16:33
Montreal
Rangers (sleeper pick! )
Colorado
Sharks
PainTrain Posted - 04/23/2008 : 15:13:50
Pittsburgh
Philadelphia
San Jose
Colorado
OILINONTARIO Posted - 04/23/2008 : 15:05:07
San Jose
Philadelphia
Colorado
Pittsburgh

99pickles Posted - 04/23/2008 : 13:25:05
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

Great, rub it in! Oh well, that's the way the cookie crumbles some times . . . 2! Just 2! aich . . .

For jokes, next round I pick Rangers, Pittsburgh, Dallas, Colorado.

Ya..I didn't want to bring it up, but I had to for accuracy's sake.

(edited for a typo)
Thrasher17 Posted - 04/23/2008 : 13:25:03
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

Great, rub it in! Oh well, that's the way the cookie crumbles some times . . . 2! Just 2! aich . . .

Rangers are playing Pittsburgh so you may want to rethink your picks. Then again, you are guaranteed to get 1 of them right.

My picks for round 2 are...
San Jose
Colorado
Montreal
Pittsburgh

n/a Posted - 04/23/2008 : 11:10:31

99pickles Posted - 04/23/2008 : 05:44:32
quote:
Originally posted by Alex

Big heartbreaker in Washington! Anyhow, here are your final stats boys:

MyTor_4 7
OilOntario 7
PainTrain 7
99pickles 7
GoOilGo 6
Sakic1969 6
Pasty7 6
Timay 6
Alex 6

LeafsRockPlanet 5
Thrashers17 5
Axey 5
GoStarsGo12 5
PensFan17 5
LeafsFan_101 5
Perryfan 5
HabsBiggestFan 5
SuperSakic 5
tbar 5
Patchy 5
ci_1612 4
slozo 3
DevilsFanatic 3
Beans15 3
Keith 3

I originally had said that that you needed 75 percent to get in and it makes sense. Otherwise, everyone would be in. The pickings do get easier, and someone like mytor_4 or OilOntario shouldn't have to worry about losing to someone who just barely managed to get over 50 percent accuracy.

That being said, I welcome everyone to continue to post their picks, as we may see that the 75 percent bar is raised to high, and will retroactively put you back in. Even if not, it would be fun to see how you would have done. So everyone plug in your picks, there's a lot of hockey to go!

"You're playing worse every day and right now you're playing like the middle of next week."
-Herb Brooks

It appears that DevilsFanatic and slozo both had 2 correct, not 3. Beans had 4 correct, not 3.
Alex Posted - 04/23/2008 : 05:21:22
Big heartbreaker in Washington! Anyhow, here are your final stats boys:
EDIT: Thank you 99pickles for pointing out that error

MyTor_4 7
OilOntario 7
PainTrain 7
99pickles 7
GoOilGo 6
Sakic1969 6
Pasty7 6
Timay 6
Alex 6

LeafsRockPlanet 5
Thrashers17 5
Axey 5
GoStarsGo12 5
PensFan17 5
LeafsFan_101 5
Perryfan 5
HabsBiggestFan 5
SuperSakic 5
tbar 5
Patchy 5
ci_1612 4
Beans15 4
Keith 3
slozo 2
DevilsFanatic 2

I originally had said that that you needed 75 percent to get in and it makes sense. Otherwise, everyone would be in. The pickings do get easier, and someone like mytor_4 or OilOntario shouldn't have to worry about losing to someone who just barely managed to get over 50 percent accuracy.

That being said, I welcome everyone to continue to post their picks, as we may see that the 75 percent bar is raised to high, and will retroactively put you back in. Even if not, it would be fun to see how you would have done. So everyone plug in your picks, there's a lot of hockey to go!

"You're playing worse every day and right now you're playing like the middle of next week."
-Herb Brooks
HabsBiggestFan Posted - 04/22/2008 : 20:16:25
quote:
Originally posted by 99pickles

quote:

I think everyone should stay in and see who can get the most right all the way through out. Those of us who took a number of risks with thier picks will have to be perfect through the next 3 round to even have a chance.

I think the more people in the better, but that's just me.

Agreed - everyone should just pick again...the more the merrier.

I totally agree too! Good thinking.

Leafs are out, Montreal is in, it's all good.
99pickles Posted - 04/22/2008 : 19:54:34
quote:

I think everyone should stay in and see who can get the most right all the way through out. Those of us who took a number of risks with thier picks will have to be perfect through the next 3 round to even have a chance.

I think the more people in the better, but that's just me.

Agreed - everyone should just pick again...the more the merrier.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page