Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Philadelphia vs. Boston

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Sensfan101 Posted - 04/28/2011 : 04:13:03
Who do you think will win?
40   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Duke Posted - 05/08/2011 : 08:24:21
Sorry forgot, you didn`t think the Flyers were good enough to win Beans ?? Did you see the game where Thomas stopped something like 54 - 56 shots ??....and the Bruins WON the game !!Goal - tending wins championships, without a good goalie...you have nothing.
The Duke Posted - 05/08/2011 : 08:19:29
Alex is right Beans, i was about to make the Tampa point but then read it in Alex`s post. Veteran goalies who stop pucks make the whole team better.

Have any of you guys played hockey ? I have but not professionally mind you. When you work your a$$ off for 20 - 30 minutes ( controlling most of the play ) and can`t score on the opposing teams hot goalie and then they get a weak goal on you, its crumbling for your team. When this Scenario happens continuiosly...YOUR DONE...KAPUT....the whole team loses confidience, no-one plays, everything goes wrong, turn-overs are happening everywhere.....and it all starts in goal.

This has been the Flyers case since Lindros was there. I know goalies don`t grow on trees Beans but you would think that a Flyers GM would have brought in at least ONE great goalie.....they have had since the early 1990`s for a starting point !!!

Why didn`t they go after Vokoun ?? cap problems maybe...your the GM...move some-one ...fix it...

No, the Flyers problem is their GM`s think that their goal-tending is always good enough to win the stanley cup...they`ve been wrong for 17 - 18 years now.....its time for them to wise up and bring in a solid goal - tender.

Then again i`m a leafs fan, i hope they keep Bobo
Beans15 Posted - 05/08/2011 : 06:27:16
Good point Alex, but a couple of things. Hindsight is 20/20 and nearly everyone could point back to the trade deadline and wonder why Philly didn't get a goalie. However, I was answering the 'what should they do now' question rather than 'what should they have done.'

Secondly, and most importantly, do you think that team would have won in the playoffs with a different goalie???

I don't......
Alex116 Posted - 05/07/2011 : 13:38:00
Beans.....I don't think anyone is saying that Bobrovsky sucks and isn't/never will be good enough, but you're looking at a team that is on the verge of winning NOW! Why wait and develop a goalie? Looking forward at next year and the cap situation that Alex, errrr nuxvan[:D, pointed out, it seems to me that they should have made a move at the deadline for a goalie! I don't care if it was a rental, but someone they figured could keep them in a series. You need not look any farther than Tampa and see what picking up an experienced veteran has done for their playoffs! Yeah, they'd have to shed some salary, but i wouldn't be surprised to see them do that same thing in the offseason, which could involve moving Carter in some sort of package deal which would include a goalie.

Now, who knows, maybe they tried to do that and just couldn't get the right deal done? Maybe they went the way of the rookie goalie and hoped and it just didn't work like it did for Chicago last year, the Canes five years ago and others in past years? Personally, i wouldn't have gone into the playoffs with the goaltending the Flyers did if i were in charge.
nuxfan Posted - 05/07/2011 : 12:17:20
quote:

There are only a few goalies available this season that would be a marked improvement of Bobrovsky so I wouldn't suggest Philly is making a change there.

One would think that they want to build around Bob - hes a great young goalie that suffered from inexperience in his first playoffs - and get a reliable backup for him (Biron-ish type goalie). Or, if they could get Nabokov for cheap they could go with him for a single year and let Bob mature more as a backup or tandem. I don't see them getting rid of Bob, he's one of the most promising young goalies in the NHL today.

Beans is right - the loss for PHI was a collective team loss, no one played at the level they needed to. When your opponent scores 20 goals against you in 4 games, its more than bad goaltending. I have no doubt that missing Pronger and Carter was a big factor for them, but at the end of the day they have other pressure performers players (Richards, Briere), and enough front end depth to at least compete. And they did not.

So now you have a team that is loaded with front-end talent that could not get the job done, a reliable defense that is mostly signed through next year, and 2 goalies, one of which you want to keep. Big free agents include Leino and Carcillo. And, they have 450K to sign 5 players to field a complete team. Something big has to come off the table.
Beans15 Posted - 05/07/2011 : 11:23:57
Nothing is wrong with Philly's GM's. Elite level goaltending does not grow on tree's!! It's not like there were tons of available goalies last season. Out of all the the goalies that moved around the in the off-season who stands out is Niemi. No other goalie that moved or was available than Bobrovsky.

Speaking of that, what's wrong with Bobrovsky?? Let me answer that question for you, nothing. He was a rookie with 28 wins, a .915 ave % and less a 2,59 GAA. Nothing wrong with that at all. Problem is he got cold at the wrong time.

There are only a few goalies available this season that would be a marked improvement of Bobrovsky so I wouldn't suggest Philly is making a change there. Where Philly bombed out in the playoffs (both against Buffalo and Boston) was really everywhere. They were lucky to get past Buffalo who was the better of the two teams for most of that series. Phi had a drop in every measurable statistic on performance compared to the regular season (PP, PK, Shots for and against, face off %). Most noticable, they where 3rd in the NHL during the regular season in 5 on 5 Goals F/A ratio at 1.21. They were one of the worst in the playoffs of 0.73.

If you can't beat the other team 5 on 5, you simply will not win. That's not just a goaltending thing, there was nothing that Philly did well through the playoffs. They didn't deserve to beat Buffalo and certainly deserved to lose to Boston.
The Duke Posted - 05/07/2011 : 10:18:35
Yeah Philly really rolled alright...right out of the playoffs.

I knew Philly didn`t have a goaltender to compete with Tim Thomas
Whats wrong with Phillies GM`s ?? Are they all brain dead ?? For years they have had great teams and not one of them will pick up a cup contending goalie.

Its like every year for Fifteen years this has been their problem and no - one in their management can see it...whats wrong with them ??
nuxfan Posted - 05/06/2011 : 22:55:46
and the sweep is complete.

Its gonna be an interesting summer in Phili this year...
leigh Posted - 05/06/2011 : 20:14:35
Well this doesn't really help my pool. I can see first place slipping away as I write this.
Guest9283 Posted - 05/06/2011 : 20:11:44
quote:
Originally posted by Guest2747

No Carter, no Gagne this year and somehow even worse goaltending than last year. I think Boston wins big and wins quick this year. Boston in 5

Looks like I was wrong, I said 5 games.
ToXXiK1 Posted - 05/06/2011 : 10:30:55
odds are in my favor that way
Alex116 Posted - 05/06/2011 : 09:40:46
quote:
Originally posted by ToXXiK1

I preddict guest 6906 doesn't have a prediction on record and that he won't sign up with a name.

Ah, sticking with the favorites again eh Tox?
ToXXiK1 Posted - 05/06/2011 : 05:22:18
I preddict guest 6906 doesn't have a prediction on record and that he won't sign up with a name.
n/a Posted - 05/06/2011 : 04:50:08
Guest 6906 - I can't find your prediction . . . where is it?

Guest 6906 - in terms of series predictions in our pickuphockey game . . . how are you doing?

No one likes the peanut gallery guy who points out one or two missed predictions from a guy (me) who actually has an excellent record for predictions overall, and who always puts it out there, and is always on record.

With no accountability for yourself, it's easy to point to others as mistaken. But why don't you put your money where your mouth is, brave man? Make some predictions! Give us a full breakdown for the next round, who will win, etc, and we'll see how you do.

I doubt you have the balls for it, judging by your comments.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Alex116 Posted - 05/05/2011 : 21:30:59
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan
I can't see it - both teams are at the cap so salaries both ways would have to be near the same, and I can't think of what value we get out of PHI for 900K other than JVR who is probably nearly untouchable in PHI.

Unless both sides were to throw in other bits...but then why does VAN want to dismantle a very good team?

Who knows, but the Flyers would love a young inexpensive goalie. Perhaps a 3 way deal? Perhaps prospects? All i say is that they're one of a few teams who will inquire about Schneider. Not saying they can work a deal but they should be in there trying!

On the other hand, Schneider has only played 30ish games. Maybe they'll want someone a little more proven and be willing to deal a guy like Carter to get a goalie with a similar contract. Dealing Carter would fetch a nice return and they'd still have Giroux, Briere, Richards, JVR, Hartnell, Leino, etc.....Pretty impressive forwards!
nuxfan Posted - 05/05/2011 : 16:36:05
quote:
With all their young skilled guys, i'd be surprised if they don't throw the Canucks a call to inquire about Schneider! Could be some interesting trade offers to compete with but still figure Philly's gotta be in the running!

I can't see it - both teams are at the cap so salaries both ways would have to be near the same, and I can't think of what value we get out of PHI for 900K other than JVR who is probably nearly untouchable in PHI.

Unless both sides were to throw in other bits...but then why does VAN want to dismantle a very good team?
Sensfan101 Posted - 05/05/2011 : 15:41:44
quote:
Originally posted by Guest6906

quote:
Originally posted by slozo

Sensfan - I just corrected your misspelling of Philadelphia, no worries.

Interesting commets on this great feeling for Boston . . . and I couldn't disagree more with the prediction. I think Philly will actually roll over a very lame looking second round opponent . . . in my mind, of all the second round teams, Boston was playing the worst by far. Thomas has not impressed me whatsoever, their power play is a total joke, and their defence looks confused and slow at times - and that was against Montreal, which can't be considered an offensive powerhouse.

Unfortunately for Boston, Philly IS an offensive powerhouse, and all lines are rolling. Yes, their defence was suspect at times against Buffalo, but I thought the Sabres were playing really well, frankly. Boucher played as good as Thomas, in my opinion - you can throw out the regular season stats, because I won't even look at them.

Philly does take periods/games off though, so it won't be quick. Philly in 6 is my call.

NICE GUESS SENSFAN. GO BRUINS!

What you talking about?
fat_elvis_rocked Posted - 05/05/2011 : 14:56:25
uhhhmm....

Guest6906,

You do realize it wasn't SENSFAN who originally posted that prediction?

note: gave you a bit of hint there to see where the posting originally came from.

note 2: more of a question is this what a cyber foot in the mouth looks like? Epic fail!
Guest6906 Posted - 05/05/2011 : 13:19:29
Sensfan, not a very astute 'guess' about what the Bruins would do. But you probably picked the Habs in 4. Go Bruins!
Guest6906 Posted - 05/05/2011 : 13:18:07
quote:

Interesting commets on this great feeling for Boston . . . and I couldn't disagree more with the prediction. I think Philly will actually roll over a very lame looking second round opponent . . . in my mind, of all the second round teams, Boston was playing the worst by far. Thomas has not impressed me whatsoever, their power play is a total joke, and their defence looks confused and slow at times - and that was against Montreal, which can't be considered an offensive powerhouse.

Unfortunately for Boston, Philly IS an offensive powerhouse, and all lines are rolling. Yes, their defence was suspect at times against Buffalo, but I thought the Sabres were playing really well, frankly. Boucher played as good as Thomas, in my opinion - you can throw out the regular season stats, because I won't even look at them.

Philly does take periods/games off though, so it won't be quick. Philly in 6 is my call.

NICE GUESS SENSFAN. GO BRUINS!
Guest6906 Posted - 05/05/2011 : 13:16:26
quote:

Alex116 Posted - 05/05/2011 : 11:32:53
quote:
Man, who would've guessed it would be Boston meeting TB in the conference final? Boston has to be pretty pleased about that match-up if they are looking ahead (which they really shouldn't, although it would be tougher still for a 4 game comeback two years in a year).

No kidding, i don't think it's often that a 3 seed has home ice in the Conference Finals. Usually one of the top two seeds is there.
n/a Posted - 05/05/2011 : 04:30:26
What a disappointing game . . . glad I only caught the third period.

Man, who would've guessed it would be Boston meeting TB in the conference final? Boston has to be pretty pleased about that match-up if they are looking ahead (which they really shouldn't, although it would be tougher still for a 4 game comeback two years in a year).

ToXXiK1 Posted - 05/05/2011 : 01:51:07
Done, done, done..... Total domination form the Bruins from begining to finish. The goalie carousel started spinning yet again and the Flyers looked totally un-interested.

And the B's broke the O'fer, albeit on a 2man advantage. 0 for 29 or whatever it was at, has to be a record in the playoffs? Anyone know that one?

Chara with 2G 1A, throwing bombs all over the net, B's clanged 3 posts, up 2 - 0 in first 1:03........

There won't be any 2 year in a row collapses, bring on Tampa !!
Alex116 Posted - 05/04/2011 : 23:00:30
With all their young skilled guys, i'd be surprised if they don't throw the Canucks a call to inquire about Schneider! Could be some interesting trade offers to compete with but still figure Philly's gotta be in the running!
nuxfan Posted - 05/04/2011 : 17:43:22
they do - and its gonna be tough. They're already up against the cap for next year (they have 400K to sign 5 guys), and if they're going to pursue a big name goalie (like a Vokoun, or perhaps Nabokov), its going to cost them, which means they'll have to make even more room.

Like CHI last year, this will be an interesting summer for PHI I think, albeit on a lesser scale.
ryan93 Posted - 05/04/2011 : 17:40:02
Yet another goaltending change tonight for Philly. This has been going on for way too long, they HAVE find a way to address their goaltending situation this summer.
Sensfan101 Posted - 05/03/2011 : 15:02:05
McQuaid has a sprained neck and is listed as day to day

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take Wayne Gretzky
Alex116 Posted - 05/03/2011 : 12:24:42
quote:
Originally posted by fat_elvis_rocked

quote:

Speaking of McQuaid, anyone here on his injury??
Can't find squat.

I heard he gave himself a 5 game suspension for boarding and a head shot. The league was gonna let it go because he's a first time offender.

Not sure what's funnier FER? Your words above, or the actual self inflicted headshot by McQuaid!!!
fat_elvis_rocked Posted - 05/03/2011 : 11:31:29
quote:

Can't find squat.

I heard he gave himself a 5 game suspension for boarding and a head shot. The league was gonna let it go because he's a first time offender.

ToXXiK1 Posted - 05/03/2011 : 10:30:41
Can't find squat.
Pasty7 Posted - 05/03/2011 : 10:19:19
quote:

I knew we'd turn you Pasty !!

to be honest i would prefer the Bruins to win this series,,, and the way the Bruins are playing now just goes to show you the habs are a much better team than many thought... Look Ryder has always been one of my favorite players i really like Mcquaid ,, Tim Thomas is amazing, if it weren't for Chara and Lucic i could actually like this team

"I led the league in "Go get 'em next time." - Bob Uecker
ToXXiK1 Posted - 05/03/2011 : 08:01:36
I knew we'd turn you Pasty !!
Pasty7 Posted - 05/03/2011 : 07:22:56
Probably the best night in forever,, Great hockey game,, my Bruins win (lol) Harper has a majority government and the Bloc didn't have enough votes to remain and official party !! happy days my firends happy days!!

"I led the league in "Go get 'em next time." - Bob Uecker
n/a Posted - 05/03/2011 : 05:18:56
Awesome game to watch - could have easily been 6-5 score, both goalies (and Bobrovsky for a short stint) played great.

This is a big hit for my hockey pools though, and frankly has taken me by surprise that Philly could lose both at home to start this series. Let's cue up the comeback.

Proooooooongeeeeeeerrrrr!
You there?

ToXXiK1 Posted - 05/03/2011 : 03:25:39
In every playoff run, your goalie has to be able to steal a game or 2 and TT delivered last night. Boucher hurt his hand on a slapshot from Seidenberg in the 2nd and went off but did return to start the 3rd. Everyone knew the Flyers weren't going to take game 1 lying down and ultimately got robbed in this one. Wicked shot from Krejci for the winner, needed video to prove it, in and out.

*Make that Boychuck that injured Boucher.
Alex116 Posted - 05/02/2011 : 21:56:59
Hey Slozo.....DIDN'T I TELL YA? The Bruins PP is carrying them unlike in the first round! 2-0 and both on the road!!!

Oh wait, they're still 0'fer.....

Not really sure how they're doing it aside from Thomas being a big factor!
nuxfan Posted - 05/02/2011 : 19:57:11
perhaps the hand injury to Boucher was too much in the end, I was surprised to see him start the 3rd.
ryan93 Posted - 05/02/2011 : 19:41:24
I'm watching the election coverage, but just checked the boxscore for the game & see where Sergei Bobrovsky came into the game 3 minutes into OT...what happened to Boucher??
Guest2779 Posted - 05/02/2011 : 18:26:29
The more I watch Kaberle the more I wish the would sit him and put in Kampfer. The power play has gone from fair to absolute ZERO. And the give aways, What is wrong with him.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page