Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Philadelphia vs. Boston Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Sensfan101
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
500 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2011 :  04:13:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Who do you think will win?

Choices:

Philadelphia
Boston

Edited by - n/a on 04/28/2011 06:45:03

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2011 :  06:07:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is going to be such a good series, best one I feel this round.
I think Boston has something to
prove to them. So I Boston in 6 mayyyybe 7
Go to Top of Page

Guest2747
( )

Posted - 04/28/2011 :  06:14:13  Reply with Quote
No Carter, no Gagne this year and somehow even worse goaltending than last year. I think Boston wins big and wins quick this year. Boston in 5
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2011 :  06:50:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sensfan - I just corrected your misspelling of Philadelphia, no worries.

Interesting commets on this great feeling for Boston . . . and I couldn't disagree more with the prediction. I think Philly will actually roll over a very lame looking second round opponent . . . in my mind, of all the second round teams, Boston was playing the worst by far. Thomas has not impressed me whatsoever, their power play is a total joke, and their defence looks confused and slow at times - and that was against Montreal, which can't be considered an offensive powerhouse.

Unfortunately for Boston, Philly IS an offensive powerhouse, and all lines are rolling. Yes, their defence was suspect at times against Buffalo, but I thought the Sabres were playing really well, frankly. Boucher played as good as Thomas, in my opinion - you can throw out the regular season stats, because I won't even look at them.

Philly does take periods/games off though, so it won't be quick. Philly in 6 is my call.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Mario 66
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
360 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2011 :  07:22:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Philly rolls in this series. If anything the injury to Carter, simply allows Van Riemsyduk to play more hardly an issue if you ask me.

The only edge Boston may hold in this series is goaltending & with the Flyers ability to score goals & Boston's ineffiency on the PP this series may hold some long nights for the Bruins. They beat the habs as they where able to work them off the puck, philly is going to work the bruins D like Pronger is going to work his elbows in this series

Philly in 6 just so Lucic can get me some points in my pool

In youth we learn; in age we understand
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2011 :  08:40:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the PP will be key, BOS has to find theirs, because PHI has a pretty potent one.

I heard on HNIC last night, BOS is the first team to win a 7-game series without scoring a single PP goal? Or second or third... That is pretty unbelievable these days, when special teams mean so much.
Go to Top of Page

Oilearl
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
268 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2011 :  09:36:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I took Boston at the start and really they have to be able to play better than the first round. Like the Canucks kinda removed a monkey off their backs winning game 7. Philly is a great team even with the injuries but I think their goaltending will be exposed.

Boston in 6
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2011 :  11:10:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got a hunch that the PP goals that were missing in round 1 will appear. There's no way they can keep going 0fer on the PP! I mean, at some point they will have to have one bounce in off someone's butt or something?

I'm still not sold on the shaky goaltending in Philly and i'm going with Boston in a hard fought 7 gamer.
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2011 :  11:27:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Philly in either 5 or 6, probably the latter. I just think the Flyers forwards will be too much for the Bruins to handle.

As for Carter, is he out for certain in game 1? Last i heard the Flyers were optimistic he would play in round 2, but never really gave details as to when.

Edited by - ryan93 on 04/28/2011 11:27:44
Go to Top of Page

Open_Ice
Rookie

Canada
109 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2011 :  11:45:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think this may be the only series to end early in the second round. Boston needs to find a powerplay or they have no chance against Philly's offense which appeared to score at will whenever they needed a goal in the first round.

On the other hand, if Philly's goaltending holds up this series could be done in 5.
Go to Top of Page

Mario 66
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
360 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2011 :  12:26:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ryan, I've heard he's likely done for the playoffs (sprained MCL), but this guy did recover from a broken foot last yr..

Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2011 :  13:06:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hopefully that's not the case, i have Carter in 2 of my 3 pools. Here's the article i was referring to earlier...
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20110428_Flyers_Notes___Flyers__Carter_likely_to_play_in_conference_semifinals.html
Go to Top of Page

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2011 :  02:01:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I to am not sold on Philly's goaltending saga that has dragged on for decades. Boston has shooken the cobwebs on their game 7 woes and have not forgotten last year. The PP will come back in this series, HAS to.

Boston in 6 or 7.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2011 :  04:49:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

I've got a hunch that the PP goals that were missing in round 1 will appear. There's no way they can keep going 0fer on the PP! I mean, at some point they will have to have one bounce in off someone's butt or something?

I'm still not sold on the shaky goaltending in Philly and i'm going with Boston in a hard fought 7 gamer.

So Alex, let me ask you something,
This hunch that you have - did it tell you why, exactly, Boston's power play would suddenly come to life against one of the league's top penalty killing teams? Just curious. I mean, I know Philly's pk unit didn't excel against Buffalo, but they did have a pretty good pp - unlike Boston, which during the regular season had a power play worse than Edmonton and Ottawa. You can't make this stuff up!
On the other hand, Philly's pk unit is always dangerous, and was one of the top teams for shorthanded goals. Yes, the probable absence of Carter (at least at the beginning of this series) will hurt them, but . . . c'mon.

What made you think Boston will get better, against a better overall and more talented pk unit? Was it all those weak shots from the point on the power play they generated in the last game or two?

So, let's give it more perspective: is Philly like Montreal in any way in terms of being a team that can get pushed around physically?

I honestly can't muster up any kind of scenario for Boston winning this series, short of a three goalie meltdown for Philly - and as we have seen, even this didn't prevent them from winning eventually against a Buffalo team that was playing very very well.

Go to Top of Page

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2011 :  05:13:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Slozo,
What's with all the Boston hate lately? Lose a mortgage payment on the series vs Montreal?

Go to Top of Page

Guest2712
( )

Posted - 04/29/2011 :  08:03:15  Reply with Quote
rooting for the B's only because i've got 4 of them in my pool. but i've got a sinking feeling that Philly's going to take it. just seeing the way Boston played in the 1st round, and seeing Thomas and his "fish out of water" method of goaltending, it doesn't look good.
BUT if the PP can kick into gear then it should result in a complete turn around. otherwise the B's are dead.
Go to Top of Page

Mario 66
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
360 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2011 :  08:09:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's the difference in this series. The Flyers best players are playing the way they should where as the bruins best players (minus Beregeron) where atrocious against a smaller undermaned habs team. Ya, boston may not forget last yrs serie's, but philly also hasn't forgot losing the cup last yr. Flyers are simply to big, to fast, to skilled for the bruins to beat not to mention their D Men are far superior to the habs.

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2011 :  09:28:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

So Alex, let me ask you something,
This hunch that you have - did it tell you why, exactly, Boston's power play would suddenly come to life against one of the league's top penalty killing teams?

Philly, 2010/11 pk% was 82.8%, good for 15th in a 30 team league. You call that "one of the league's top pk teams???
Here's the thing though. All i was trying to get at is that if Boston gets any sort of production from their pp last series, it's prob over in 5 games! They could have gone just 10% and closed out that series earlier than game 7. It's not often that a team wins a series with 0 pp goals so just imagine if they'd scored 3 or 4 pp goals? They lost 2-0, 3-1 and 2-1. You think that maybe a pp goal could have changed one or two of those games??? Maybe?

quote:
Just curious. I mean, I know Philly's pk unit didn't excel against Buffalo, but they did have a pretty good pp - unlike Boston, which during the regular season had a power play worse than Edmonton and Ottawa. You can't make this stuff up!

YOU, seem to be making this stuff up actually!
Boston PP regular season was 16.2% (20th in league)
Worse than Ottawa's 17.5% (15th in league) but not worse than Edmonton's 14.5% (27th in league).

And I'M the one "making stuff up"???

quote:
On the other hand, Philly's pk unit is always dangerous, and was one of the top teams for shorthanded goals. Yes, the probable absence of Carter (at least at the beginning of this series) will hurt them, but . . . c'mon.

Yes, you are correct, Philly PK is usually among the top teams for shorties and this year was no exception with an impressive 13 on the season, tied for 2nd best with Pitts, trailing only, surprisingly, NYI. Not sure if Carter's absence will hurt them all that much as he's not one of their main PKers, having avg'd only 0:39/game on the kill.

quote:
What made you think Boston will get better, against a better overall and more talented pk unit? Was it all those weak shots from the point on the power play they generated in the last game or two?

Here we go again.....

Philly PK% during regular season = 82.8% (15th in NHL)
Mont PK% during regular season = 84.4% (7th in NHL)

You have a strange way of judging a team's PK by the looks of things. I know a lot of people claim "stats don't tell the whole story" but in this case, what is it you're judging PK's by???

quote:
So, let's give it more perspective: is Philly like Montreal in any way in terms of being a team that can get pushed around physically?

Not in the least!!! However, does Boston have a better chance to skate with and keep up with Philly? How about physically? Does Boston not matchup better vs Philly? I'd say yes, although this may be one instance where i don't have stats to back my opinion up. I'm not saying Philly is slow, but the B's match up better against them speed and strength wise than they did to Montreal.

quote:
I honestly can't muster up any kind of scenario for Boston winning this series, short of a three goalie meltdown for Philly - and as we have seen, even this didn't prevent them from winning eventually against a Buffalo team that was playing very very well.

Maybe a "3 goalie meltdown" is all that it'll take. Lemme ask you this. Have either / both these teams changed THAT MUCH since last year? Did you watch their series last year? Need i remind you just how close Boston was to winning last year? Personally i can't muster up any kind of scenario for Boston to be counted out in this series, but that's just me.

I agree overall Philly is a better team. I love their D, especially if Pronger can get fully healthy. I just simply don't like their goaltending situation and at this time of year, that's a big thing. I picked Boston in 7, which is a crapshoot, but i'll take the better goalie and run with it. I don't expect the Boston PP to start looking like the Gretzky led Oilers PP of the 80's, i just think they'll find a way to get a crucial PP goal here and there. Lord knows, they can't go 0fer forever!

This could turn out to be a sweep of Boston for all i know and surely you'll try to rub that in my face, but at least i can say you were completely off in your reasoning as almost everything you just threw at me was basically wrong. Yet i'm the one making stuff up? I'm still lost at that......

Source: http://www.nhl.com/index.html

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2011 :  11:22:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Goodness Alex,
Someone went out and did their research! Heck, this morning I just did a quick look on yahoo sports after checking my email and looked up those pp and pk stats, so . . . ok. I obviously looked at things too quickly and did a poor job of reading the stats lines, my bad.

When I say a team is a top penalty killing team, I look at the whole picture, though. Not just the pk%, but adding in the shorthanded goals as well. And adding in how they are playing now . . . but geez, I must have looked at the stats wrong, or looked at the wrong team somehow, because clearly Boston's power play was better than Edmonton's, this is true.

Of that, they should be proud. And, they were just behind Philly's own pp during the regular season, fair enough.

Ok, ok, I get your logic. I get it that you think Boston will magically pull out of their funk and score at least a few power play goals. But how many will be scored against them - while on the pp? Against another team with quick forwards, this time guys that can all score . . .

Anyways - I am not going to change my mind on it, really. Yeah, I also find it likely that Boston gets a pp goal or two as opposed to 0.

But I wouldn't bet on it.

Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2011 :  14:03:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So some of you guys really think that the Flyers have enough goal - tending to beat Tim Thomas ??

Which goalie may i ask will out do Tim Thomas ??

Boston in 6.
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2011 :  14:44:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think any of the Flyers goaltenders are capable of playing at Tim Thomas' level, but i still think they have a very good chance of winning the series. Last series, none of Bobrovsky, Boucher or Leighton were able to play at Ryan Miller's level, but they still found a way to win. It's definitely a concern though, and it has to wear on the Flyers players after a while.

Edited by - ryan93 on 04/30/2011 16:28:00
Go to Top of Page

Guest3690
( )

Posted - 04/30/2011 :  20:14:36  Reply with Quote
Apparently boyz it doesn't stop Boston from winning even though they can't score on the PP. 8 Games and counting!! If Philly doesn't get any decent goaltending and Defence then this one is over real quick. Lest we forget that Boston has a huge chip on their shoulders because of last year's series and they aren't going to let up on Philly this time. It will be tougher from this point on BUT Boston was a higher seed than Buffalo for a reason this year and Philly was fortunate to come back and win that series so I can't see Philly win no matter how much depth they have in the forward position. Goaltending rules and Philly just sucks in that department.
Go to Top of Page

Guest2769
( )

Posted - 04/30/2011 :  20:24:49  Reply with Quote
Would love to see Seguin get a game or two, but why mess up a good thing.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2011 :  21:02:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest2769

Would love to see Seguin get a game or two, but why mess up a good thing.

I was a little surprised he didn't play vs the Habs at all. Thought when they struggled, they'd get him in but now playing a physical team like Philly prob isn't the greatest spot for him?
Go to Top of Page

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  02:21:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apparently with Philly's goaltending woes, we don't need to score on the PP........7? really? Who expected that?
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  09:39:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no kidding - talk about thrusting PHI's goaltending issue right into the limelight... Should be a very interesting game 2 tonight, if there is another blowout like that PHI should be worried.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  09:41:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BTW - I would love to know what the record for PP futility is in the playoffs. BOS is now the only team to have won a 7 game series without scoring a PP goal... but what is the record for playoff depth without one in terms of rounds/wins?
Go to Top of Page

Guest2779
( )

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  18:26:29  Reply with Quote
The more I watch Kaberle the more I wish the would sit him and put in Kampfer. The power play has gone from fair to absolute ZERO. And the give aways, What is wrong with him.
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  19:41:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm watching the election coverage, but just checked the boxscore for the game & see where Sergei Bobrovsky came into the game 3 minutes into OT...what happened to Boucher??
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  19:57:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
perhaps the hand injury to Boucher was too much in the end, I was surprised to see him start the 3rd.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  21:56:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Slozo.....DIDN'T I TELL YA? The Bruins PP is carrying them unlike in the first round! 2-0 and both on the road!!!

Oh wait, they're still 0'fer.....

Not really sure how they're doing it aside from Thomas being a big factor!
Go to Top of Page

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  03:25:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In every playoff run, your goalie has to be able to steal a game or 2 and TT delivered last night. Boucher hurt his hand on a slapshot from Seidenberg in the 2nd and went off but did return to start the 3rd. Everyone knew the Flyers weren't going to take game 1 lying down and ultimately got robbed in this one. Wicked shot from Krejci for the winner, needed video to prove it, in and out.

*Make that Boychuck that injured Boucher.

Edited by - ToXXiK1 on 05/03/2011 04:57:19
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  05:18:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome game to watch - could have easily been 6-5 score, both goalies (and Bobrovsky for a short stint) played great.

This is a big hit for my hockey pools though, and frankly has taken me by surprise that Philly could lose both at home to start this series. Let's cue up the comeback.

Proooooooongeeeeeeerrrrr!
You there?

Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  07:22:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Probably the best night in forever,, Great hockey game,, my Bruins win (lol) Harper has a majority government and the Bloc didn't have enough votes to remain and official party !! happy days my firends happy days!!

"I led the league in "Go get 'em next time." - Bob Uecker
Go to Top of Page

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  08:01:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I knew we'd turn you Pasty !!
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  10:19:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ToXXiK1

I knew we'd turn you Pasty !!

to be honest i would prefer the Bruins to win this series,,, and the way the Bruins are playing now just goes to show you the habs are a much better team than many thought... Look Ryder has always been one of my favorite players i really like Mcquaid ,, Tim Thomas is amazing, if it weren't for Chara and Lucic i could actually like this team

"I led the league in "Go get 'em next time." - Bob Uecker
Go to Top of Page

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  10:30:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Speaking of McQuaid, anyone here on his injury??
Can't find squat.
Go to Top of Page

fat_elvis_rocked
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  11:31:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Can't find squat.

I heard he gave himself a 5 game suspension for boarding and a head shot. The league was gonna let it go because he's a first time offender.

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  12:24:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fat_elvis_rocked

quote:

Can't find squat.

I heard he gave himself a 5 game suspension for boarding and a head shot. The league was gonna let it go because he's a first time offender.

Not sure what's funnier FER? Your words above, or the actual self inflicted headshot by McQuaid!!!
Go to Top of Page

Sensfan101
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
500 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2011 :  15:02:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
McQuaid has a sprained neck and is listed as day to day

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take Wayne Gretzky
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2011 :  17:40:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yet another goaltending change tonight for Philly. This has been going on for way too long, they HAVE find a way to address their goaltending situation this summer.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page