Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trades and Rumors
 Friday's Trade Freeze: Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  09:33:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Olympic freeze is 3pm EST this afternoon.

So far only 1 trade to speak of, Matt Cullen to Ottawa for Alexander Picard & a 2nd round pick.

Other news & notes on the day so far..

Jonathan Cheechoo put on waivers by Ottawa
Brad May put on waivers by Detroit
Jamie Lundmark put on waivers by Calgary
Donald Brashear clears waivers

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  11:53:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Turned out to be a pretty quiet day. I expected there to be another trade or two before the deadline passed. I was hoping there wouldn't be much movement though, let's save that for the trade deadline day coverage.

Actually i just read where Bob MacKenzie is saying the Wild & Hawks may be on the verge of making a trade.

Edited by - ryan93 on 02/12/2010 11:55:40
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  12:20:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kim Johsson & Nick Leddy to Chicago
Cam Barker to Minnesota

Jody Shelly to NYRangers for a draft pick.
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  14:08:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, certainly nothing major happened.

Although, as a Sens fan I am very happy to see Matt Cullen coming to play for this team. He should add depth down the middle.

As for Cheechoo hitting waivers, it certainly shows a bit of how little we received for Heatley. But all in all, i'm glad he's going down or being picked up elsewhere. He will never amount to anything near the 50+ goal season he had, ever again. We now clear up space, providing he's picked up.

Irvine/prez.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  14:37:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just dont get how Cheechoo could tank like he did. He was given all the chance in the world to be a 1st line star and has been religated to a checking role player. His stats are half of what they were in San Jose. Is this guy that bad or was Thorton that much of an impact on this young guys career. 14 points in 61 games. He should be embarassed to lace his skates up in the morning as I'm sure Probert could lace them up and have more impact on the score sheet.

Edited by - JOSHUACANADA on 02/12/2010 14:38:25
Go to Top of Page

Guest2223
( )

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  14:42:22  Reply with Quote
hard to get a good trade unless u are the leafs...lol...no matter what they trade, whatever comes back is better :) I see those ex-leafs are really lighting it up for the flames...poor calgary. I still cant believe they gave the leafs a world class hockey player, an execellent penalty killer and a 6`6``young prospect defenseman who already made the cdn. junior team for those 4 career losers. Know wonder most are calling for sutters head in calgary, boy are they going to regret that trade, phaneuf is just 24 years old. This is going to hurt even more than the gilmour trade because phaneuf and his young defense partner are going to serve toronto for the next 30 years between them. wonder how good phaneuf is going to become ?? thought those sutters were smart hockey men, guess not.
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  15:16:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah it really is hard to believe Cheechoo has fallen so far, so quickly. He's just 4 years removed for scoring 56 goals, and 3 years ago he potted 37.
While yes people will point out that Joe Thornton played a huge part in Cheechoo's goal scoring success a few years ago, and rightfully so, but he still had Big Joe the last few years in SJ when his game went downhill dramaticaly. And i don't care who is setting you up, you have to have good hands to score 56 goals in this league. I doubt you'll see anyone pick him up.

The Cam Barker trade today was fairly interesting. With Keith, Seabrook & Campbell all signed long term, the rumors of a Barker trade have been there all season as the Hawks need to trim payroll for next season.. I like the addition of Barker from a Wild perspective, but admittedly i don't know much about the kid Leddy going back to Chicago. Kim Johnsson is a UFA following this season.
Go to Top of Page

Sensfan101
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
500 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2010 :  17:42:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheechoo is still a very useful player. I am very sad to see what happened to him. He tries as hard as anybody in the whole N.H.L. but just can't seem to score

You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take Wayne Gretzky
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2010 :  09:50:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jamie Lundmark was claimed by Toronto, while both Jonathan Cheechoo & Brad May cleared waivers.

The Rangers have placed goaltender Stephen Valiquette on re-entry waivers (hope he clears), and have sent Donald Brashear to Hartford (AHL).
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2010 :  10:45:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bummer for Calgary i guess? I heard they put him on waivers so that they could get him to the minors during the Olympics where he could see some game action? Now, he's gone?
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2010 :  10:56:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ryan93

Jamie Lundmark was claimed by Toronto, while both Jonathan Cheechoo & Brad May cleared waivers.

The Rangers have placed goaltender Stephen Valiquette on re-entry waivers (hope he clears), and have sent Donald Brashear to Hartford (AHL).

Can someone remind me what happens to a player on waivers. Does he go to AHL or Is he in limbo.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2010 :  12:48:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From what I understand, a player that clears waivers can be sent down to the AHL meaning his salary no longer hits the cap. However, if and when the team wishes to bring that player back, they have to go through re-entry waivers meaning every team in the league has rights to pick him up if they want to before he goes back to his original team.
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2010 :  13:37:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, who could have seen this coming. Cheechoo is not that far off a 56 goal season, I don't care who is on your line you have to be good to pot that many. How embarressed is this guy right now?

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2010 :  13:43:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

From what I understand, a player that clears waivers can be sent down to the AHL meaning his salary no longer hits the cap. However, if and when the team wishes to bring that player back, they have to go through re-entry waivers meaning every team in the league has rights to pick him up if they want to before he goes back to his original team.

I just read up on this and heard if he is brought up on re-entry a team can pick him up and Ottawa pays half his salary for the remainder of the year. What I really am curious about is, if he's traded while in the AHL, does that mean Ottawa avoids his hit to the salary cap for the remainder of this season or do they have to bring him up thru re-entry to trade him.
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2010 :  13:56:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When a player is put on waivers, every team in the league has a chance to pick him up if they want to, with the 30th place team getting first chance, then 29th, 28th, etc.

If the player clears waivers, teams can either send the player down to their American League team, or the player can remain up with the NHL club.

If the player is sent down, that as already stated, let's use Cheechoo as the example. If the Senators decide to recall Cheechoo, then again every team in the league would have a chance to put in a claim, with 30th again getting first crack, and if claimed, his new team only pays 50% of his salary, while the Sens would still be on the hook for 50%. And when a player is in the minors, his contract doesn't count against the cap.

Edited by - ryan93 on 02/13/2010 13:58:05
Go to Top of Page

Guest9729
( )

Posted - 02/15/2010 :  08:27:35  Reply with Quote
quote:
Posted - 02/12/2010 : 17:42:10
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cheechoo is still a very useful player. I am very sad to see what happened to him. He tries as hard as anybody in the whole N.H.L. but just can't seem to score
You miss 100 percent of the shots you don't take Wayne Gretzky

I guess you can put him in the same category as Jason Blake. Toronto was able to unload him. Maybe the Sens can do the same
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page