Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Trades and Rumors
 Lehtonen Traded Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  18:20:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don Waddell has traded Kari Lehtonen today...

Stars get:
Kari Lehtonen

Thrashers get:
Ivan Vishnevsky
4th Rd Pick (2010)

Thoughts?

Irvine/prez.

50brent
Top Prospect

Canada
62 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  18:30:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hmmm interesting trade will be interesting to c how leighten does in dallas.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  18:38:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Insurance for Turco leaving??? Clearing cap room for ATL?? Not sure about this one. I really don't get what the benefit to either team is.

I think this is just fodder as a trade. It's really insignificant for both teams. I don't know if Lehtonen is a legitimate #1 in the league, but it's not like there are a ton of those available.
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  18:43:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sigh... Thrashers....

Lehtonen has been injured this season, allowing Pavlec / Hedberg to step up and play. But really, trade Lehtonen and keep Pavlec & Hedberg? Makes little sense to me.

Kari, 25, made $3Mil this season and is going to be an RFA at this years end. You can likely re-sign him for $3Mil (or even less), during the negotians due to his long injury he just had. Hard to get a raise, being out with injury that long. The kid has not had an NHL season with a SV% under .900, even on Atlanta.

Pavlec, a decent 21 year old net minder is also going to be an RFA at seasons end. He currently makes $850K (Cap hit of $1.4 mil) A raise is in order, but I don't see him making over $2.5 Mil per season at this point.

Hedberg, 36 years of age has proven over the years, he is not a #1 netminder. He makes $1.167 Mil this year, and is to be a UFA at seasons end.

What I am getting at here is, i'd much rather keep Lehtonen than Pavlec or Hedberg. But, why can't they have both? Lehtonen & Pavlec. They could likely have both at $5.5 Mil or less, between the two. Less than a fair amount of #1 netminders make, alone. Both are young, and would serve well for the Thrashers future.

I believe Atlanta just traded their true #1 goaltender, and I have no clue why. I'm guessing Atlanta don't care to win any time soon.

--

Where is Mr. Turco going to end up?

Irvine/prez.
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2010 :  19:05:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't see Turco being a star past the deadline. He's having a horrible year, and although he's playing tonight, he has lost the starting job to Alex Auld, not that he's been spectacular by any stretch either.

As i said in the other thread, i like this trade for the Stars. The obvious concern is Lehtonen's health, as he's been the most injury prone goaltender in the league since he's broke in (well, him & DiPietro!). The Stars need goaltending help both now & for the future, and if Lehtonen can ever get back on track & again show the skill which made him one of the top prospects in hockey, the Stars will have stole him for what they had to give up. And if it turns out to be much the same (injury prone & inconsistent), well again, at least they didn`t give up much.
Go to Top of Page

Tiller33
PickupHockey Pro

389 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  11:31:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quite honestly what the hell is wrong with Don Waddell?

I know his hands were tied with the Kovalchuck deal but this guy has continually made this franchinse a joke.

Under Waddell, the Thrashers have a total record of 273-367-45-53, making the playoffs once. 12 years and one first round playoff exit to show for it? Not only is it just one playoff appearance, they were swept by the 6th place Rangers after winning the southeast division.

He's had 2 franchise players in Heatley and Kovalchuck now with nothing to show for them. (Johnny Oduya .. really). He got rid of Marc Savard, and drafted the infamous Patrick Stefan. Now he has unloaded their once touted goalie of the future.

Seriously how does this man have a job?? Can you imagine if he worked in a legitimate hockey market, he would have been canned years ago.

here is a list of Atlanta Thrasher season record holders not one of them, aside from Hainsey, are still with the team:

[edit] Regular season
Most goals in a season: Ilya Kovalchuk, 52 (2005–06), (2007–08)
Most assists in a season: Marc Savard, 69 (2005–06)
Most points in a season: Marian Hossa, 100 (2006–07)
Most penalty minutes in a season: Jeff Odgers, 226 (2000–01)
Most points in a season, defenseman: Ron Hainsey, 39 (2008–09)
Most points in a season, rookie: Dany Heatley, 67 (2001–02)
Most wins in a season: Kari Lehtonen, 34 (2006-07)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page