Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Canadian Women Over Celebrate? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  22:14:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just finished reading this article

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/hockey/news/newsid=52689.html#ioc+looking+into+womens+hockey+post+game+behaviour

and i'm unsure what to make of it. On one hand, I do feel they may have made a mistake going back on the ice 30 minutes later, with cans of beer, champagne and cigars. On the other hand, I feel like the game is over, they are of age, why not?

Thoughts?

Irvine/prez.

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  22:29:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can see the point of the girls wanting the party to last and to have that memory of swilling a beer on the ice after the win, but I think it's a little much. As said in the story, the raucous locker room celebrations is the Canadian way.

Back on the ice a half hour later is not the locker room.

As far as the under-aged drinking???

Call the cops.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  22:36:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TFB!!!! TOO FRICKEN BAD!!! The only issue here clearly is the under aged girl drinking. Therefore, i can only ask this. Was she really drinking alcohol? I think that Hayley Wickenheiser (sp?) put some O'Douls (sp?) in a Molson Canadian can and gave her that to drink with the others. THERE, done with it!

Congrat's ladies!!! GOLDEN!
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2010 :  00:54:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The girl who was drinking was from Quebec, I bet she didn't even know she was under aged drinking. Honestly if this offends anyone you really need to lighten up.

BTW I was at the Womens gold medal game tonight, it was Awesome, and Poulin deserved a beer and a stogey.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2010 :  01:07:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CM, i was gonna go, couldn't get out of a couple of appt's at work. My buddy went down and picked up some tickets from a scalper. Paid slightly over face, but said it was worth it to see that one! You surely had a blast!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2010 :  05:11:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, they broke a few rules, but they just won the gold on home ice.

Certainly not even close to a big deal . . . and unless you grew up as a teetoler like Beans, I can guarantee that many of you out there drank before 19, and like someone pointed out, in Quebec it's 18. If we're talking pro hockey players (the men), I can absolutely guarantee almost all of those superstar players coming through juniors drank before 19.

Respect the stogies!

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2010 :  06:48:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When all eyes are watching you on a world stage you do your best to make sure you don't bring unwanted negative attention to who you represent. That's the issue, not whether any of us drank when we were under age.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2010 :  07:39:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by willus3

When all eyes are watching you on a world stage you do your best to make sure you don't bring unwanted negative attention to who you represent. That's the issue, not whether any of us drank when we were under age.

These girls came back to the ice after the game for team photo's the fans attendance had left. Celebrations on the ice are very common. Smoking indoors at a business is definately not allowed in B.C and the Quebec girl should have been told. Other than that, give em the fine and move on these girls deserved it, after a hard fought gold medal win.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2010 :  08:08:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The team photo was taken directly after the game at centre ice in front of all the fans. The pics from the after celebration (the one's I have viewed personally)show various players sitting on the ice against the boards sipping on their brews.

Again, I have no issue with the celebrations and I am far from a teetotaler(I think Slozo was playin a bit with that one) but on the world stage, a little bit more decorum than usually is generally expected. Sportsmanship kind of says to keep the celebrations from possibly being confused for arrogance or one-up-manship. We often point the finger at many US athletes for taking celebrations too far. It's a little hypocritical to say it's ok when the Canadian celebrations go a touch outside the box.

Nothing said about nothing if the beer stays in the locker room.

Don't get me wrong, I definitely see the appeal of skating back on to the ice to cherish the moment and I don't see a huge issue with it. But I can also appreciate those who may have an issue with it.
Go to Top of Page

Guest2210
( )

Posted - 02/26/2010 :  08:15:05  Reply with Quote
Guys... Quebec is so much different from BC... I went to BC when I was 17 I had to changed my ID's from 1985 to 1983 :) pretty lucky my numbers were that easy to change!! Then I went a couple of time bought some 56$ pack of 24 cheap beers.... (not so cheep hey!) But in Quebec I had already started drinking at like 12... My father gave me my firsts sip!!! In quebec the beers are sell in every corner store you can see at a minimum price permitted by the law!!! so its like 23,99 for a 24 of molson ex,dry blue bud ect... so the you just had to go at the corner store at like 13-14 and buy beers... the worst that could happen is that you would have to ask someone to get it for you in front of the corner store... so noone F* CARES ABOUT A 17 YEARS OLD DRINKIN A BEER AFTER WINNING A GOLD MEDAL!!! she probably started at the age of 12...
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2010 :  08:49:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ridiculous.... thats all that needs to be said. They just won a gold medal on home ice, lighten the f*** up.

No one said s*** about Jon Montgomory running around the skeleton track area with a pitcher of beer. In fact, he was praised for it.

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Go to Top of Page

Odin
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
350 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2010 :  09:44:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Slozo and Matt,

Bang on! I was about to make the same point as Slozo as to the fact that I doubt there is nary a person here who didn't drink underage.

Listen, if she was underage, I don't care. This could very well be a once in a lifetime opportunity for her, let her live in the moment. If there is an issue, fine her. I'm sure we could take up a collection to pay it for her.

For those who have a problem with it, you really need to find something better to do. As a country, we are often accused of being boring, reserved, too polite or whatever. If people get upset over a genuine display of well deserved exuberence and joy, maybe we deserve that label.
Go to Top of Page

Guest7886
( )

Posted - 02/26/2010 :  10:25:08  Reply with Quote
It's kind of funny that she's from Quebec (legal age: 18) and trains in Calgary (legal age: 18). While I agree that ignorance of the law is no excuse, she probably didn't even know she was breaking it.

As for the pictures, it was no worse than any team does when they win the Stanley Cup. I don't really have an issue with it.
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  11:56:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Roberts85

ridiculous.... thats all that needs to be said. They just won a gold medal on home ice, lighten the f*** up.

No one said s*** about Jon Montgomory running around the skeleton track area with a pitcher of beer. In fact, he was praised for it.

Well said about Montgomory. He was still chugging a pitcher during an interview.

Also in the States it's 21 years old for the drinking age and nobody complains when you see 19 or 20 years old drink champain after they win the cup. Or Baseball they open champain every time they win a round, or even make the playoffs.

Good for the girls, they just won gold on home ice.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  12:58:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Leafs81

quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Roberts85

Well said about Montgomory. He was still chugging a pitcher during an interview.

Also in the States it's 21 years old for the drinking age and nobody complains when you see 19 or 20 years old drink champain after they win the cup. Or Baseball they open champain every time they win a round, or even make the playoffs.

Good for the girls, they just won gold on home ice.

There are comments and questions raised EVERY time there is an underage person around the celebrations after a championship or any other situation of a pro athlete. Remember the Staal brothers a few years ago on that Stag?? Jordon got arrested!!

That's why these celebrations are usually contained to the dressing room.
Go to Top of Page

tbar
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
376 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  13:21:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well after my Highschool won our leauge when I was in grade 10 all of us partied in the room for a few hours then moved it over to one of the player's houses for the rest of the night. We were grade 10 - 12 kids. After a long night of drinking we went to school most of us pissed out of our minds we got called to the coache's office and were told to go home they phoned our parent's to pick us up and marked us as excused. The part of this story that should raise questions around town but didn't is that it is a smaller mennonite communty that has no vendor or liquor store but you had a bunch of underager's getting pissed.

So I guess what I am saying if nobody cared about that around this town nobody should care about grown ladies smokin and drinkin. If it is illegal let the law enfocment pass judgment and leave it at that.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page