Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Canadian Hockey Player's Skip Closing Ceremonies Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  09:51:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What do you guys all think of this? Scott Neidermeyer was the only Canadian Hockey player to be at the Closing Ceremonies. They rest were just 100 feet away inside GM Place enjoying some quiet time, hell the guys that just raced a 50km Cross Country marathon managed to make it from whistler for this. Personally I don't like it, and I think all the Canadians who didn't go will regret this one day.

CANUCKS RULE!!!

HawkinOilCountry
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
318 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  09:59:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Personally just having the Captain present was a good thing. If Sid had been there if would've taken away from the other athletes present. Minimizing the presence of the Men's team helps remind viewers that Canada competed and did very well in other events as well.
I don't want to think about how many times the camera would've panned to Crosby during the ceremony. Dude's over exposed.

The arena wall in chicago should be credited with a goal.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  10:53:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I personally was ashamed and disappointed by the very, very selfish move of the players.

The men's hockey team was the premier and closing event for most Canadians, and to not be able to walk over for the closing ceremonies shows a lack of class and responsibility. All the excuses about not wanting to hog the spotlight or take away from the other events is . . . a pisspoor excuse.

The media ignoring this lack of class should also be booed IMHO.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  10:58:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While i'm not gonna call it "classless", i do think they should have been there. I too don't agree with the theory that they'd have taken away the spotlight from other athletes. Even if it did, that's Canada! HOCKEY! Let's face it, if there were other events on during the gold medal hockey game, there'd have been virtually no one at them!

Has there been a statement made by anyone with the team saying why it was only Niedermeyer? I just can't fathom how they could be across the street (literally) and not able to attend? I too believe they'll regret their decision one day.....
Go to Top of Page

Guest4022
( )

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  11:47:19  Reply with Quote
That's cuz the rest of the team was on the ice having celebratory beer and cigars.
Go to Top of Page

Guest2559
( )

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  12:34:41  Reply with Quote
Honestly if I was on the team I could give a F about the closinf ceromonies. I would be getting pissed up with my teamates in the locker room or on the ice or wherever i certainly would not waste my time at the closing ceromonies.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4651
( )

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  13:13:22  Reply with Quote
I heard that for closing ceremonies just certain people from each event are there, not every athlete.
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  13:21:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It really made no difference to me, it's their decision. All i know though, if i was in their position, there would be no way in hell i'd miss the Closing Ceremonies!!
Go to Top of Page

baumer
Top Prospect

82 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  13:30:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guys you are all missing the media reports that stated that the team tried to make it across the street but couldn't get through the throngs of people. Whats the big deal anyway? Miller was the only American that made it. This is almost as bad as the Red Wings bitching about Crosby not shaking Lidstroms hand. They just won a Gold Medal let them celebrate. But I guess people always need something to complain about.
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  13:48:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Baumer, if the team wanted to go over it wouldn't have been very hard, Neidermeyer and Miller managed to get through the throngs. Also the report I read said that the players were enjoying quiet time with their familys, to me they have the rest of their lives to spend time with the familys and only once to go the closing ceremonies.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

Guest7368
( )

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  13:53:05  Reply with Quote
ummm i dont c wut the big deal is. they have to go back to their nhl teams most of them had games a couple days later so just chill
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  13:54:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I missed all those media reports. In fact, I just googled and couldn't find a single one.I call bull that they could not get through the throngs of people. Security is there and I would all but bet my life that if they wanted to get there, security would have gotten them there.

Ultimately, it's more than a little disappointing to not see those guys there. Not only are they the face to the Olympics for so many(as one can tell from 8 in 10 Canadian who watched the game) but they were Gold Medal winners. Don't quote me, but I think they were the only Gold Winners who were not there.

It was not enough that Neidermayer was there. They all should have been there.

Now, playing devi's advocate, I didn't really understand the who flight out situation. I heard something about certain teams got different flights out. So IF (and it's a huge if) the Canadian team was not there because of their pre-arranged flights out, then I would blame the organization of that over the players.

I would not go as far as saying classless or whatever, but I think that they had an obligation to be there and should have been there.
Go to Top of Page

HawkinOilCountry
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
318 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  14:23:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having the captain there is more than enough. They weren't at the opening ceremonies either.

Don't make a mountain out of a mole hill.

The arena wall in chicago should be credited with a goal.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  21:59:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hawk, you really can't compare it to the Openning ceremonies seeing as the NHL was still playing games!!! The only guy i heard who attended (as far as NHLers) was Jack Johnson who got permission to miss a practice, flew up here, attended, then flew home as he still had a game to play!

I don't think anyone's "making a mountain out of a mole hill" btw....

It's another matter of opinion i guess. Personally, i'd have been there, but that's me. Obviously others on this forum would have skipped it as the team did. I'll tell you one thing though, NO A CHANCE IN HELL that they couldn't get there!!! I've been around downtown for the past 3 weeks and there are cops and security EVERYWHERE!!! Yeah, i'm sure many were busy with the crowds but you can be darn sure there'd have been plenty opportunity to get the players across the street! The two stadiums are approx 100 yards apart! The entire road and surrounding area was completely off limits to fans.

Also, regarding flights, the only guys i could see missing would have been those from Detroit or Colorado as they had to play Monday night. Seeing as the coach was the only one, i'd say the players could have made it if they wanted to. They obviously chose to skip it. That's their right.

One last thing, i just mentioned in another thread that i heard the team ended up at Molson Hockey House? Heard it from a friend, and i'm not sure if it's true so take it for what it is at this point, a rumour. Having said that, i don't for a second think they were having quality time with their families! I know if i skipped the ceremonies, i'd be out partying with "the boys", knowing that most would be enemies again in a matter of hours!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page