Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 overtime gold Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

umteman
PickupHockey Pro

USA
662 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  15:06:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sighs...30 years and counting...

It occured to me almost immediately that it was the only time in my life I have sighed in despair at a Sidney Crosby goal.

Congratulations to our Canadian members.

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"

Guest9494
( )

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  15:15:41  Reply with Quote
yeah thanks god for that ref touching the puck and thanks Crosby for finally showing up in the tournament talk about the right time wooo

GO CANADA GO
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  15:55:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm speechless, what an end to a fantastic Olympics for Canada! I can't believe they are over already, the last 17 days have been amazing! And Sidney Crosby scoring in OT to win gold medal #14, priceless!!

I gotta give props to the US mens hockey team as well, they played a hell of a tournament.
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  15:55:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With that said...bring on the NHL! Trade deadline day is just around the corner!! When does the trade freeze end?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  16:57:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, being a parent I am home already . . . bless your Canadian hearts, boys, celebrate till work tomorrow - it was a fun ride, and a fantastic storybook ending.

I said to my dad (I watch all important hockey events with my dad for some reason) as it was 2-1 with 6 minutes to go, "Boy, it sure would be exciting if the americans tie it and we win in overtime . . . but I really don't need any more heart attacks!" 6 minutes later my dad was blaming me for sending into o/t and it was heart attack central indeed.

The americans deserved to tie it, and they played their hearts out, and really played the Canadians well, give credit where credit is due. Fantastic game, and what can you say about that super-quick wrister five-hole between the pads of the hottest goalie in the game, so fast he didn't have time to blink before the puck hit the back of the net.

Have a rest and soak it in, boys . . . we are GOLDEN.

I now leave to smoke my cigar.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Guest2211
( )

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  19:47:30  Reply with Quote
trade deadline is mar.03...wed i think @ 3:00 pm eastern. Way to go CANADA, great championship game. I predicted these 2 teams to be in the final :) Lot of great players in this final...didn`t realize the on ice vision of P.Kane before this tournament, amazing how he hangs on to the puck and ALWAYS sets up a great play, he is going to be a great one. J.Teows and Kane will be an awsome duo for Chicago for years to come.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  19:53:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Absolutely Crosby's goal. However, how great of a play was it from two players with amazing hockey sense? Crosby to Iginla on the boards, Crosby see's his man beat and goes to the net, Iginla sees Crosby streak and blindly slides it to the slot while falling to Sid the Kid for the winning.

Iginla derserves nearly as much credit on that play as Crosby.

Go to Top of Page

Guest2211
( )

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  20:01:49  Reply with Quote
Was going to mention, but really didn`t want to...any other canadian fan besides me wonder where J.Thorthon was during the olympics. I honestly hate to bring it up but.....no wonder San Jose always flop post-season. What is it about this guy when the pressure is on in big games ?
Go to Top of Page

Guest0328
( )

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  20:06:09  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest2211

Was going to mention, but really didn`t want to...any other canadian fan besides me wonder where J.Thorthon was during the olympics. I honestly hate to bring it up but.....no wonder San Jose always flop post-season. What is it about this guy when the pressure is on in big games ?

Where were you during the olympics. Obviously not watching the games. Sure he didnt go out there and rack up the major points, but he did nothing wrong and i thought he played well. open ur eyes buddy, the whole san jose line played well.
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  20:25:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree, while Thornton didn't put up much offense in the playoffs games, i still thought he played well. Thornton battled hard in the big games, which is something he's been criticized for not doing in the past.

As Beans pointed out, Iginla deserves praise for his play on the OT goal as well. The leaders really stepped up today. I thought the captain Scott Niedermayer was Canada's best player, where as the 2 assisants combined on the winning goal, Iggy & Sid. Chris Pronger also had his best game of the Olympics IMO.
Go to Top of Page

polishexpress
PickupHockey Pro

525 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  22:49:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oiler fans will never live down the fact that a Calgary flame assisted on the gold-medal winning goal. At least there is consolation in the fact Iginla is an Edmonton native.

I guess the Crosby goal cuts the debate for him being better than Ovie, even though I like Ovie better, Crosby has a Cup, a Gold, and a Gold-medal OT-game winner. Until Ovie does the above, he'll be the best current NHL-er without a cup.
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  23:28:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was never a fan of Crosby(and I'm from Nova Scotia) until today, that goal is going to be shown for about a century. But can you imagine if he had of squeezed through on the first attempt, with the dangle 1 on 4 situation. EPIC. Nonetheless I'll take any goal my friend.

I also loved how he when asked about the goal he had no idea about any of it. 'I don't remember, I think it went five-hole or something? I just shot.' ahah Atta boy.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4271
( )

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  01:53:17  Reply with Quote
I hate the fact that everyone was saying Crosby was stinking things up, just cause he wasn't scoring. The four meatheads on the pannel are just that MEATHEADS. Sid and his linemates were still putting pressure on the opponents every shift and were always a threat, they proved that in OT, whoop whoop
Go to Top of Page

Guest4762
( )

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  07:16:44  Reply with Quote
Actually, besides the partial (?) breakaway Crosby had earlier in the third, he was nearly invisible for this game (and the two games before this).

Credit to him, though, as great players show up in big moments, even when they maybe personally struggling a bit, and there is no moment bigger than OT in the gold medal game. Can anyone please not mention Ovechkin in this topic, as he has nothing to do with this game, goal or anything really.
Go to Top of Page

Guest2211
( )

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  10:58:25  Reply with Quote
guest 0328
i did not say the other 2/ thirds of the San Jose line didnt play well.....u just said it for me
Marleau and Heatley played great yes....i was just talking about Thorthon himself...too soft, u must be a san jose fan :)
V.Lecavalier should have been on this team but i know its hard to argue against gold.
Did Thorthon even have a goal ??...with all of his # 1 powerplay unit time ??..he did center ALL of canadas first powerplays...not crosby
Go to Top of Page

Guest9836
( )

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  11:36:51  Reply with Quote
He did have a goal, and was very happy when he got it.

Thornton was solid if not exceptional. Heatley, Marleau and Boyle may not have put up the points they did without him on the ice. That line was incredible early and faded a bit towards the end giving way to the Getzlaf, Perry, Morrow combo and the the Richards, Toews, Nash line. Same can be said for the various iterations of the Crosby line.

In the end it took 23 players to win this tournament (ok not Fleury, but he played his part). This team really won as a team.
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  11:42:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by Axey

I was never a fan of Crosby(and I'm from Nova Scotia) until today, that goal is going to be shown for about a century. But can you imagine if he had of squeezed through on the first attempt, with the dangle 1 on 4 situation. EPIC. Nonetheless I'll take any goal my friend.

I also loved how he when asked about the goal he had no idea about any of it. 'I don't remember, I think it went five-hole or something? I just shot.' ahah Atta boy.
[/quote

How can you be from Nova Scotia and not be a fan of Crosby? I'm from NB and I'm so proud a maritimer is one of the best hockey player in the world today.

On a side note, Crosby played a great tourney. 4 goals - 3 assists. Even though he didn't produce much the past few games he was still making great plays offensively and defensively. When did a guy always backchecking and winning battles against the board became so underrated? I mean a good hockey player is not just about scoring goals and giving assists. Crosby does all the little things right and that's why he's a winner.
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  11:46:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ryan93

I agree, while Thornton didn't put up much offense in the playoffs games, i still thought he played well. Thornton battled hard in the big games, which is something he's been criticized for not doing in the past.

As Beans pointed out, Iginla deserves praise for his play on the OT goal as well. The leaders really stepped up today. I thought the captain Scott Niedermayer was Canada's best player, where as the 2 assisants combined on the winning goal, Iggy & Sid. Chris Pronger also had his best game of the Olympics IMO.

It's funny how Niedermayer played on the last play of the game. He makes a great job on a one on one, then turn the puck over with a pass across the zone, Luongo bails him out, and then he makes a great pass that led to Crosby and Iginla battling in the corner and the rest is history.

I thought that was the kind of tourney he got.
Go to Top of Page

sharksfan44
Rookie

Canada
228 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  13:12:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think it's time i got in on this one. I personally thought thornton played great. Like guest 0328 pointed out, thornton did not put up big points but he definitley played well. I thought he got the job done.
Although he did not put up big points i still felt thornton got lots of chances and was a huge offensive threat everytime he was out there.
From here i guess we can only wait and see wut happens come playoff time.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  17:22:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
umteman.....sat near a USA fan "Ryan" on the back of his jersey at a bar downtown. Great guy, video taping a ton of the festivities and boy was he disappointed in the outcome. Nearly brought him to tears. Tough tough loss for the US to take but only one team can win. It sucks to see/hear some of the bad press they're getting regarding looking sad while getting their silver medals. There's something to be said about it being better to finish thired as you get to "win" the bronze rather than "lose" the gold? Can't say the Canadians would have been any more thrilled had they been the ones getting the silver? Nice to see Miller (and others) not only attend the closing ceremonies, but do so with smiles on their faces and their silver medals around their necks. It prob took a few hours and may take weeks for some, but they'll realize what they accomplished was pretty nice!

As for Thornton, i think he was like Luongo. Solid, but not outstanding in any regard. Crosby very similar. Did the little things that often go unnoticed. Just with players like these, you expect to see their contributions more so than maybe we did?

Was out enjoying the festivities downtown last night with approx 150,000 of my closest friends! Words can't even begin to describe it! Nice to see the majority of the fans behaving, aside from some obvious public drunkeness? Rough day at work today, that's for sure......

BTW, Oilers fans need not care who assisted on the winning goal. To me, it wasn't a member of the Flames, it was a member of TEAM CANADA! For two and a half weeks, these guys were all of ours!

IMO, own the podium became OWN THE GOLD-IUM!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Guest2211
( )

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  19:14:53  Reply with Quote
guest 9836
how can u say the san jose line was incredible early ?? based on what ??
Canada beat Norway...what a shocker !!!
Scraped their A$$ with the Swiss....shootout
Then lost to the states...
Yep thats INCREDIBLE hockey all right...Yep this INCREDIBLE san jose line helped Canada win 1 game out of the the 1st THREE !! in regulation, yeah really.
BIG TIME Canada fan, dont get me wrong, Loved the Gold as much as any Cdn. fan...but it wasnt easy. Championship game was one of the best hockey games ive ever watched.
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  21:48:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't find the Sharks line too shabby, personally. Heatley played a good tourney (as he usually does in international play), while his linemates contributed too his (their success).

I though Rick Nash had a great tournament too. This guy is a beast. He's very gifted and athletic for his size. The guy can do it all. I'm a big Nash fan more and more.

I'm happy to see Pronger had a better Gold medal game. But, i'm still not overwhelmed by his overall olyympic performance. He's in my bottom two for Canadian Defencmen in the tourney.

Corey Perry really picked it up in the last two-three games. I found he started off slow. Seemed to lack some of he energy a guy his size should bring. But, I found he really started clicking and skating well. It just took two/three games or so.

Overall, I was quite happy with every player. Perhaps Pronger the least, but you can't argue Gold.

Irvine/prez.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  07:02:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
About the americans "winning" silver . . .

. . . my wife asked me the same thing as they handed them their silver medals, "How come they all look so sad?!? They just got a silver medal, that's very good!"

My answer was that although silver was very good . . . it wasn't the best. And, more importantly, they just lost a very tough overtime game that they tied in the dying seconds. They came as close as you could without going to a shootout, and it is indeed a bitter pill to swallow . . . and one I totally understand.

If Canada blew out the states 6-1, I can guarantee the american players all accept the silver medal with a grin.

You americans agree?

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  07:54:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Although it may not be the popular view, I think the loser of the final game should get the Bronze Medal. Personally, I don't ever agree with rewarding losing. I would rather see the loser of the Final get Bronze and the winner of the game between the two semi final losers win Silver.

You win to get Bronze and lose to get Silver has never sat well with me. But I also get that, using 2010 as an example, the US beat Finland and then Finland beat the Slovaks. It would also not be fair to give the Silver to the Fins as they lost in the Semi's.

Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  08:07:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No way you could do that beans, nor would i agree with it. The US battled hard, and deserved that silver. As you said, how could you possibly give Finland the silver, when the US had beaten them in the semis two days earlier 6-1.

And really, take in all Olympic sports, there's only ever 1 winner in every event, yet the 2nd/3rd get still get silver/bronze. Take all of the speedskating events, snow cross events, etc. There's always a 4 person final, and then there is also a "B" final...that'd be like saying the winner of the A final should get gold, where the B final winner should take silver, instead of 5th place.

And theres others sports where it comes down to a 2 team showdown for the gold...curling & team pursuit speedskating instantly come to mind.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  08:18:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ryan93

No way you could do that beans, nor would i agree with it. The US battled hard, and deserved that silver. As you said, how could you possibly give Finland the silver, when the US had beaten them in the semis two days earlier 6-1.

And really, take in all Olympic sports, there's only ever 1 winner in every event, yet the 2nd/3rd get still get silver/bronze. Take all of the speedskating events, snow cross events, etc. There's always a 4 person final, and then there is also a "B" final...that'd be like saying the winner of the A final should get gold, where the B final winner should take silver, instead of 5th place.

And theres others sports where it comes down to a 2 team showdown for the gold...curling & team pursuit speedskating instantly come to mind.

BINGO! Well said ryan. Not a chance you could do that Beans, but i do see where you're coming from.

I really believe, like i said in my other post, that the US will appreciate the silver one day. Yeah, they'll always have that "we were so close" thought in their head, but eventually the silver will mean a lot to them, a lot more than a bronze would have....
Go to Top of Page

sharksfan44
Rookie

Canada
228 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  14:29:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by irvine

I didn't find the Sharks line too shabby, personally. Heatley played a good tourney (as he usually does in international play), while his linemates contributed too his (their success).

I though Rick Nash had a great tournament too. This guy is a beast. He's very gifted and athletic for his size. The guy can do it all. I'm a big Nash fan more and more.

I'm happy to see Pronger had a better Gold medal game. But, i'm still not overwhelmed by his overall olyympic performance. He's in my bottom two for Canadian Defencmen in the tourney.

[blue]Corey Perry really picked it up in the last two-three games. I found he started off slow. Seemed to lack some of he energy a guy his size should bring. But, I found he really started clicking and skating well. It just took two/three games or so.[/blue]
Overall, I was quite happy with every player. Perhaps Pronger the least, but you can't argue Gold.

Irvine/prez.

I really noticed after the american game in the round robin he really started to play better. I bet someone said something to him after he was beaten to the puck on the empty net at the end.
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  17:04:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't stand Corey Perry, i don't know what it is about him but i just don't like the guy. I didn't think he played very good the first half of the Olympics, and i didn't think his effort on Kesler's empty net goal was good at all. However, i'll give credit where credit is do. I thought Perry played great the last 3 games or so, he & Getzlaf really picked up their game & were two of Canada's better forwards.
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  17:04:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 'loser' may be rewarded with a Silver medal, but it took lots of winning to get that medal.

They are rewarded for their efforts during the entire tournament. If they were to do something odd like that, they mideswell eliminate medals completely. First place wins the 'Olympic Cup' or 'World Cup'. 2nd/3rd get nothing. Make more sense? heh.

Irvine/prez.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page