Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Trade Evgeni Malkin? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2010 :  16:38:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
unproven NHL potential you mean, you can`t really say all of these guys are unproven potential, some of them have been proving what they can do all of their lives...just not in the NHL yet. Sure there are busts but surely every one knew crosby, taveres and stamkos were/are going to be great. Hall will be the same, look at the guy play, he wiil be a great cdn player, no doubt about it.
Go to Top of Page

Guest3368
( )

Posted - 05/19/2010 :  19:36:16  Reply with Quote
as a oilers fan i'd take that but there's no way Pittsburgh would do that
Go to Top of Page

Guest9423
( )

Posted - 05/19/2010 :  20:22:56  Reply with Quote
As a Oilers fan and a fan of rebuild I would never take that trade. We are heading in the right direction no need to pull a Burke lets rebuild slowly but surely like Chicago and Pittsburgh did.

Question of the day is if Kessel is worth 2 first rounders and 1 second rounder, what is Malkin a bonofide superstar who averages 1.23 ppg get?
Go to Top of Page

Guest5276
( )

Posted - 05/20/2010 :  07:35:10  Reply with Quote
Kessel isn't worth two first rounders and a second rounder, at least not of the caliber that Toronto has/will supply. Burke is just an idiot.
Go to Top of Page

polishexpress
PickupHockey Pro

525 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2010 :  11:29:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good point 9423.

Guest 5276, it doesn't matter whether Kessel is/was worth two 1st's and a 2nd. The fact is that the trade happened, and adds makes Malkin look like he is worth more.

But every trade is different, look at the Kovalchuk deal.

I echo the sentiments of those above: i'd rather rebuild the traditional method: drafting and wise trades, Edmonton would be giving up too much.

Funny thing is, Svennson isn't an guaranteed Oiler yet, he could still choose to play in Europe.
Go to Top of Page

LeMagnificent66
Top Prospect

Canada
8 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2010 :  14:02:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The trade to Edm doesn't really make sense in my mind. The latest knock on Pittsburgh is that they are middle heavy with little skill on the wings. So you trade Malkin to Edm for an Dman and another centre in Hall or Seguin??? C'mon

Look at the age of these 3 centres Crosby (22), Malkin (23) and Staal (21). Pittsburgh will be solid for a long time...so they didn't make it to the Stanley Cup finals 3 years in a row...time to blow everything up and start again??? They ran into a hot goalie who also robbed one Washington Ovechkins.

Why trade one of the top 3 players in the world? If I'm Ray Shero my first priority is building a defense, especially replacing a 36 year old Gonchar. Gonchar is making 5.5 Million and still has enough skill to lure some tempting offers from teams like Edm and NYR who have terrible PP's.

Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2010 :  15:22:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LeMagnifique:

- I would hardly call trading Malkin "blowing up" the team. The Pens are too strong down the middle and too weak on the wing. They have a need for wingers and an abundance of centres, and a looming cap problem. Sounds like a trade waiting to happen.

- Gonchar is UFA, so the Penguins will get exactly zero for him when he signs with another team. Hence, another dman might help the Pens, esp one that is good on the PP (when healthy and not playing in EDM)

- Taylor Hall plays LW, not centre. He is exactly the type of winger that any team would covet - especially one with an extremely talented C.

This trade makes a ton of sense from the PIT point of view. As pointed out though, it makes no sense from the EDM side. If PIT were to pull that kind of trade off, Shero would look like a genius.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9423
( )

Posted - 05/20/2010 :  15:45:33  Reply with Quote
MPS signs with the Oilers wooooo
Go to Top of Page

Guest2914
( )

Posted - 05/25/2010 :  14:01:38  Reply with Quote
Im a die hard penguins fan and I truly believe Malkin is the best player in the NHL given a solid core of wingers. Who has he had on his line in the past 3 years? Come on now, give Malkin any wingers on the first line of any team in the NHL and he will finish a top of the league in points. Everyone says that crosby hasn't had talented wingers to play with, well he has still had first dibs on anyone the pens pick up at deadline. Guerin and kunitz were picked up and both were immediately placed on crosbys line so Malkin gets stuck with the leftover wingers. I would love to see Malkin stay but I agree that he needs to go to get penguins the much needed depth up front and in the back end. I would love to see a guy like kovalchuk come back with a 2nd line defensman for malkin. Malkin will get his own team and finally prove to the world that he isn't just a guy in crosbys shadow...I guess winning the art ross and conn smyth along with the stanley cup in the same year just didn't do it.
Go to Top of Page

Deaner
Rookie

Canada
107 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2010 :  11:06:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any team should consider themselves lucky to have a guy like malkin, if it were up to me he'd be a leaf but since there's a fat chance of that happenin I think he would be best off on a team that's already given him a cup win and they still will be top contenders for years to come...
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2010 :  11:31:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Montreal sends pitts Mike Cammalleri a 1rst and second round pick, for Malkin ,, why not Cammalleri can easily put up a point per game playing along side crosby is realtivly young and is a proven playoff performer under a good contract for the next 5 seasons , the habs get the big center they have always wanted!

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2010 :  12:44:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Malkin isnt going anywhere, trading him would be retarded....

The pens made it to the finals 2 years in a row with these so called 'crappy wingers' and won it once. Its pretty obviously that their gameplan of strentgh up the middle works just fine. You can upgrade the wings other ways besides trading one of the best players in the world before he even reaches his prime.

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2010 :  13:15:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt_Roberts85

Malkin isnt going anywhere, trading him would be retarded....

The pens made it to the finals 2 years in a row with these so called 'crappy wingers' and won it once. Its pretty obviously that their gameplan of strentgh up the middle works just fine. You can upgrade the wings other ways besides trading one of the best players in the world before he even reaches his prime.

who says he hasn't reached his prime? this year was a decline of last year? i not saying this is true but lets play devils advocate here,,,, there is a lot of laziness in his play, he looks a lot like the sterotype russian hockey player to me and that means as his career goes on his numbers go down,,,, i'm not saying this is gonna happen so please dont attack me but there are no gurantees that he stays a top 5 player in the league .... and thaats if you even think hes a top 5 now,, which he isn't

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2010 :  13:55:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not going to attack you man haha. Its not like you said anything along the lines of "typical leaf fan response" hehe.

Well, Malkin did have a down year this year. but during all of his previous seasons he was trending upwards. Im pretty sure he was dealing with injuries this season and never really seemed to get things going like we had gotten used to seeing.

Malkin is only, what, 23-24 years old? The guy is a beast already and im not sure he has even filled out his frame yet. Few players handle the puck better than him, and few players can fight off checks along the wall and behind the net better than him.

You very well may be right, malkin could have peaked last year with an art ross, a conne smythe and a stanley cup, but I just dont see how a young man with his kind of potential doesnt get better.

Go to Top of Page

Guest9169
( )

Posted - 05/26/2010 :  14:51:32  Reply with Quote
Flying -V: I would hardly call Doug Wickenheiser a bust. Being drafted by Montreal ruined him. Montreal had too many big names -- Guy Lafleur, Guy Carboneau etc, so Wickenheiser was never given his fair share of ice time. Not to mention in the 60, 70, 80's Montreal had a history of not giving rookies a fair shot in the pros.

Go to Top of Page

FLYING -V
Top Prospect

69 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2010 :  15:09:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by Guest9169

Flying -V: I would hardly call Doug Wickenheiser a bust. Being drafted by Montreal ruined him. Montreal had too many big names -- Guy Lafleur, Guy Carboneau etc, so Wickenheiser was never given his fair share of ice time. Not to mention in the 60, 70, 80's Montreal had a history of not giving rookies a fair shot in the pros.

[/quote

Not a bust??Are you joking? This is a guy who racked up 170 points in his last year of junior and was a sure-fire superstar. Yet at the NHL level he surpassed 20 goals and 50 points just once in his disapointing career.

And not a fair shot?? Are you kidding me? That is outrageous. The amount of great players who got their debuts in montreal during the time period you mentioned is huge. Even if most of them weren't instant sensations they still went on to incredible careers. Don't try and tell me that the most successful franchise in the post-entry draft era mismanaged a player who was destined for greatness. And how about his time in St. Louis?? Or did Montreal screw him up so badly that he never had a chance there?

You can argue what might have been all you want, but the fact is his NHL career was extremely underwhelming and he should be considered a bust

Its not worth winning if you cant win big!
Go to Top of Page

Guest5052
( )

Posted - 05/26/2010 :  15:26:04  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure that Malkin isnt the Third best player in the league.

I know people say he's lazy, and he can appear that way, but his stats in the last three years are better than anyone else's not named ovechkin. He showed he could step up when it matter and win the con smythe, so that puts him well ahead of a much older Joe Thornton; and remember that it wasnt so long ago that people knocked Datsyuk and Zetterberg as not being good enough in the playoffs. Now grant you, they have proved people wrong, but my point is that at 23, Malkin has already established himself as an elite player, and I cant think of too many trades where the team that has shipped an elite player has got the better of the trade.

There are not too many guys now that get back to back 100 point seasons. In fact, other than Crosby, Ovechkin, Thornton, (Heatley I think)I cant really think of any and certainly none who did so at such a young age.

Go to Top of Page

Deaner
Rookie

Canada
107 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2010 :  04:38:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would say that malkin is for sure in the top three...this season wasnt the greatest but the guy is still young he just won the cup and for sure he took it a little easier. but take a look at last year, after losing the cup to detroit the guy came back with passion and killed it, he was the best player in the league last year reg season and playoffs...dont forget that
Go to Top of Page

Guest2115
( )

Posted - 05/27/2010 :  05:35:17  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Deaner

I would say that malkin is for sure in the top three...this season wasnt the greatest but the guy is still young he just won the cup and for sure he took it a little easier. but take a look at last year, after losing the cup to detroit the guy came back with passion and killed it, he was the best player in the league last year reg season and playoffs...dont forget that

uhh i didn't forget it i know that he wasn't!
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2010 :  06:03:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

see i remember in the washington series the year the pens won the cup , Malkin was very present, but not on the scoresheet, turning over pucks at his own blueline trying to dipsy doodle around players at half speed and almost looking like he had never played a nhl game then in the Carolina series conference final he suddenly started having 2 goal 3 point games when his team was winning games 7-1 and 5 -1,, to me that is not mvp he won it because he had a lot of points but he in no way was the best player in the playoffs, and again don't jump all over me that is how i remember the playoffs i was in utter shock when he won the smyth

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

Deaner
Rookie

Canada
107 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2010 :  06:11:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wont jump all over you pasty just a conversation. everybody has their opinion and im interested to hear everybodys thats why im on here. Malkin does have a trend of trying to be too fancy sometimes, maybe that is part of being a young kid but you are right there is no need for it when you're that deep in the playoffs, you need to play smart but fact is he is an elite player and he is going to be for a while yet. might be a good thing for him to be the number 1 guy on a crappy team to see his true colours. guess we will have to wait and see.
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2010 :  08:10:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I wont jump all over you pasty just a conversation. everybody has their opinion and im interested to hear everybodys thats why im on here. Malkin does have a trend of trying to be too fancy sometimes, maybe that is part of being a young kid but you are right there is no need for it when you're that deep in the playoffs, you need to play smart but fact is he is an elite player and he is going to be for a while yet. might be a good thing for him to be the number 1 guy on a crappy team to see his true colours. guess we will have to wait and see.

see this i can agrre with he is most deffinetly an elite player in the NHL no question there he is young and yess he should be Elite for a long time. But A i would not trade the farm to build a team around this type of player for one,,, sorta like how the Thrasher could not build a winner around Kovy,, i havn't gone through the names in my head but i really do not see malkin as a top 5 in the league and i would rather have my first round picks and build something,,, would it be better for Malking to be a number 1 center of course,,, but call me crazy i'd take a Geztlaf before a Malkin

Pasty
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page