Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Ska St Petersburg vs. Carolina Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  16:38:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was reading an article on tsn.ca recapping the Canes last exhibiton game against SKA St. Petersburg and apprently the Canes decided to keep Eric Staal on the bench the entire thrid period because they felt the Russian squad was intentionally going after him, Paul Maurice was quoted as saying `they were going after his knees`,,, i obviously wanted to know more so i searched youtube and found this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox5AQehVBuI

a very questionable hit on Staal ,, and to be honest it leads me to wonder why bring NHL teams over to play against the KHL? the KHL has done nothing to support the NHL and has only breached agreements on contracts and such why are we wasteing our time in europ? wasn`t the European hockey commisioner quoted as saying `over my dead body will there be a NHL team based in Europ`? why risk loseing a player of Eric Staal`s calibre to injury to promote in a place where the NHL has no shot!

Pasty

Guest6520
( )

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  18:41:01  Reply with Quote
You know, I can't imagine Maurice would sit Staal for no reason, so the game must have been getting greasy. But in response, I thought of three things:

1) That hit itself didn't seem overly dirty. Maybe unnecessary. But to me it looked like an open ice hip check, the hockey version of a chop block?

Staal had the puck the entire time, or at least up until a split second before the hit. It wasn't the same kind of illegal hit we see lead to suspensions, but maybe it was unnecessary. Whatever. Either way, I'd rather that video didn't hijack this entire thread into another legal vs illegal hit discussion. So, moving on...

2) Playing exhibition helps grow the game not only within the NHL/KHL sphere; but also among junior players and kids over there. I'm sure you can see the logic in this, it's just a smaller version of Olympic, World Champ, or Post Canadian Inclusion Splenger hockey. Actually, it's probably bigger than the Splenger, or at least better.

As to the cooperation point, the two leagues have been working on a deal for ages, just finalized today (http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=5649236). This has been a long time coming too. Ever since the Radulov theft, teams have always worked out independant deals when they 'loan' their players to Europe. I certainly think enhanced cooperation is the preferable route.

3) What I find most surprising about the entire topic is the decision to sit Staal itself. While it may be protecting their most skilled player, doesn't it also separate Staal from the team, place him on another level? "This game is too dangerous for Eric, but Jussi, Erik, Tuomo, get out there, you guys take a shift."

Doesn't that seem like it might raise a few eyebrows, or result in a few murmured locker room conversations?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page