Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Forum Rules and Announcements
 Hockey's extra time Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hockeyrocks101
Top Prospect

Canada
43 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2010 :  18:07:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
If the game is tied after three periods, what would you as a fan like to see happen?

Choices:

Just a shootout
3 on 3 overtime until someone scores
4 on 4 overtime until someone scores
playoff format (5 on 5) until someone scores
5 minute 3 on 3 than a shootout
Keep it the same as usual (4 on 4 than shootout)
5 min 5 on 5 then game ends in a tie
4 min 4 on 4 then 4 min 3 on 3
No overtime game ends in a tie
other

Edited by - hockeyrocks101 on 11/25/2010 19:22:11

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2010 :  02:32:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shoot outs stink, a team can dominate a game and lose in the shoot out, hardly a fair outcome for hard work during the game. Keep playing until someone scores. To many teams playing for the tie and going for the extra in the shoot out as you have a fantastic chance of winning it.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2010 :  05:37:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I refuse to vote in this poll until you add this option:

* ORIGINAL format of 5 minute O/T (5 on 5) then the game ends in a tie

That is my vote.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2010 :  09:35:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I actually like the modified OT that they've been talking about - 4 mins of 4-on-4, then 4 mins of 3-on-3, then a shootout. I would imagine that very few games would go to a shootout with that format, and those 8 minutes would be some very exciting hockey.

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2010 :  10:33:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

I refuse to vote in this poll until you add this option:

* ORIGINAL format of 5 minute O/T (5 on 5) then the game ends in a tie

That is my vote.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug

I am very close to this. I would like to see 4 on 4 for 10 minutes rather than the current 5 minutes. If the game ends in a tie, one point for each time and then proceed to a shoot out. The team at the end of the year with the most games played to a shootout wins the Golden Panties Award for not having the stones to try to finish the game in regulation.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4803
( )

Posted - 11/23/2010 :  11:48:57  Reply with Quote
I would like to see no overtime during the regular season, if the teams are tied after the 3rd both teams recieve a point, dont give them another 5 minutes to try and squeak out an extra point they already had 60 minutes to do so. Only have overtime in the playoffs, 5 on 5 till the game ends.
Go to Top of Page

doublechamp7
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
278 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2010 :  20:16:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They should do an entire period of OT and then go to a shootout
Go to Top of Page

MrBoogedy
Rookie

Canada
195 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2010 :  21:30:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the sound of the new format they're talking about, but most of all I'd like to see the 3 point games disappear, teams tank for a point, takes all the fun out of it.
Go to Top of Page

Oilearl
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
268 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2010 :  21:46:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like 3 on 3 option no shootout if tied which would be rare single points to both teams only!
Go to Top of Page

Guest8149
( )

Posted - 11/25/2010 :  23:27:43  Reply with Quote
This is another example where fans have a variety of opinions (and good ones most of the time), and where the NHL will get criticized no matter what they decide. Don't get me wrong – I think the NHL deserves to be criticized a lot of the time, but sometimes, no matter what they decide, fans complain.

I remember when they introduced the shootout – a lot of fans complained. I would guess that a number of fans have warmed to the shootout since it was introduced. Like a hockey fight, I don't see too many fans leaving their seats.

One idea worth considering (and it's been brought up before) is to allow and encourage players to remove their helmets during the shootout. This would add some extra excitement.

As long as we're talking about the regular season, I don't miss the days of games which ended in a tie, but in my opinion, the NHL should never consider shootouts or 4-on4 hockey to decide playoff games.

One last comment about the 3-point system for games which end in a tie. It's changed the meaning of playing .500 hockey. It's interesting – you hear people (fans, media, coaches, etc.) talk about playing .500 hockey, and the reality is that it ain't what it used to be. In today's standings, 21 teams appear to be playing .500 hockey or better, and 4 or 5 teams are a game or two away from this standard. The "standard" is not the same, so whenever a team says they're a win or two away from being a .500 hockey club (or that they're a .500 team), it's not very impressive.
Go to Top of Page

Guest8149
( )

Posted - 11/25/2010 :  23:28:16  Reply with Quote
This is another example where fans have a variety of opinions (and good ones most of the time), and where the NHL will get criticized no matter what they decide. Don't get me wrong – I think the NHL deserves to be criticized a lot of the time, but sometimes, no matter what they decide, fans complain.

I remember when they introduced the shootout – a lot of fans complained. I would guess that a number of fans have warmed to the shootout since it was introduced. Like a hockey fight, I don't see too many fans leaving their seats.

One idea worth considering (and it's been brought up before) is to allow and encourage players to remove their helmets during the shootout. This would add some extra excitement.

As long as we're talking about the regular season, I don't miss the days of games which ended in a tie, but in my opinion, the NHL should never consider shootouts or 4-on4 hockey to decide playoff games.

One last comment about the 3-point system for games which end in a tie. It's changed the meaning of playing .500 hockey. It's interesting – you hear people (fans, media, coaches, etc.) talk about playing .500 hockey, and the reality is that it ain't what it used to be. In today's standings, 21 teams appear to be playing .500 hockey or better, and 4 or 5 teams are a game or two away from this standard. The "standard" is not the same, so whenever a team says they're a win or two away from being a .500 hockey club (or that they're a .500 team), it's not very impressive.
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2010 :  04:42:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1 on 1 ot untill we have a winner,, no time on the clock 1 on 1 untill somebody wins!

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2010 :  06:39:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2005 - 6 = 145 times to the shootout
2006 - 7 = 164
2007 - 8 = 156
2008 - 9 = 159
2009 - 10 = 184
2010 - 11 = 28 so far, 1/4 games in the books.

That's an awful ot of points up for grabs. I think the shootout should count for 2 points, loser gets nothing. That way maybe teams would play for the win instead of the tie.
Go to Top of Page

tbar
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
376 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2010 :  06:54:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Slozo im with you on this one.

I vote 5 on 5 no shootout.

1 pt ea. for tie.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2010 :  09:15:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pasty7

1 on 1 ot untill we have a winner,, no time on the clock 1 on 1 untill somebody wins!

Pasty

I love this Pasty, with no line changes either of course
Go to Top of Page

hockeyrocks101
Top Prospect

Canada
43 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2010 :  14:42:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These are all neat ideas you guys have came up with that i've never thought of. I like your idea pasty7 but Alex116 no line changes would be tough for the players and then it would only be the same 2 players all overtime. I agree on how shootouts stink because some teams have better shootout teams than their opponents but that doesn't mean they have a better overall team.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2010 :  14:48:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hockeyrocks101

These are all neat ideas you guys have came up with that i've never thought of. I like your idea pasty7 but Alex116 no line changes would be tough for the players and then it would only be the same 2 players all overtime. I agree on how shootouts stink because some teams have better shootout teams than their opponents but that doesn't mean they have a better overall team.

Uhhhh....it's called a little bit of sarcasm hockeyrocks. I don't for a second think that Pasty was serious about the 1 on 1 and i certainly wasn't serious about them playing 1 on 1 with the same 2 guys for the entire OT.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page