Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Forum Rules and Announcements
 If you were the Hawks GM..... Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hockeyrocks101
Top Prospect

Canada
43 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2010 :  06:22:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Would you have got rid of Niemi right after he won the cup with your team?

Choices:

Yes, for sure
Ya, probably
Most likley not
Are you crazy, no way!

Edited by - hockeyrocks101 on 11/25/2010 19:17:50

hockeyrocks101
Top Prospect

Canada
43 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2010 :  06:26:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What i say is no way. If i have a goalie that just helped me win the cup i would totally keep him!!!!!! Everyone knows that your goalie is a big part of your teams playoff success.
Go to Top of Page

Awesome One
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
505 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2010 :  06:36:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First of all, it wasn't a trade, they didn't offer him arbitration.

Quite honestly, Iwould not know what to do because he was very unproven when they lost him.

There was once a license plate in Toronto that abbreviated "Go Leafs" it read "Golfs".
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2010 :  07:44:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hockeyrocks101

What i say is no way. If i have a goalie that just helped me win the cup i would totally keep him!!!!!! Everyone knows that your goalie is a big part of your teams playoff success.

How is Niemi doing now??? San Jose is a really good team and I think the Sharks as well as many of their fans are quickly realizing how good Nabokov was for that team.

Niemi was the Osgood for the Hawks last year. Just about any above average goalie could have won the Cup with that team. He did his job, but I don recall him 'stealing' a single game for them last season.

They are fine with Turco. Obviously, the Hawks would have liked to keep him as he is a youngish goalie who did prove he could win which is a rare commodity. However, not at the salary he was awarded in arbitration.
Go to Top of Page

HawkinOilCountry
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
318 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2010 :  08:01:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeff Deslauriers could've won the cup with that Blackhawks Team in front of him (mostly sarcasm). Neimi was in the right place at the right time, he's nothing special.

I still maintain that Turco is an upgrade in net over Neimi, Goaltending is not the problem with Chicago.

To this point in the season, I would point my finger at the vets that stuck around. Hossa, Kane, Keith!, Seabs, Sharp, Hammer, Campbell ALL have to step up their game and get over this hangover.

When your 3rd and 4th lines are doing your scoring there's a problem.

The arena wall in chicago should be credited with a goal.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2010 :  08:45:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Niemi did go to arbitration, and won an award that the Hawks refused to match - hence he became a UFA.

quote:

He did his job, but I don recall him 'stealing' a single game for them last season.

Beans, I'm surprised you didn't watch more CHI games in the playoffs last year...

- in round 1, Niemi was pretty hot, and was a huge factor in game4 when NSH was up 2-1 in the series. Had CHI not won that game, things might have gone very different in that series, but Niemi posted a 33 save SO.

- in round 3 vs SJ, Niemi allowed 7 goals in 4 games - including 2 45+ save performance in each of game 1 and game 3. Again, that series looks a lot different if SJ wins either one of those games, at the time.

I'm not saying Niemi was uniformly spectacular, but he certainly did come up with some big nights at some critical times, which is really what you want from your goalie.

quote:

Would you have traded Niemi right after he won the cup with your team?

No. And I don't think any team would do so either. Its easy to make judgement calls with the benefit of hindsight, but at the time, no sane GM would have traded a young up-and-coming goalie that had just won the cup.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2010 :  11:30:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The question's kinda screwy to begin with in that he wasn't traded. Also, in this crazy cap world, there's so many factors that come into play. We're all aware of how "in tough" the Hawks were and we all saw what they had to get rid of to slash salaries! With that, AND the hindsight of seeing Niemi struggle this year, this question is really not fair.

FTR, Turco was a great pickup / replacement for them! I hated seeing them get him as he's been a good goalie vs Vancouver in the past. Then again, they rested him last weekend and we still got our azzes handed to us?
Go to Top of Page

hockeyrocks101
Top Prospect

Canada
43 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2010 :  14:22:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Awesome One

Quite honestly, Iwould not know what to do because he was very unproven when they lost him.

There was once a license plate in Toronto that abbreviated "Go Leafs" it read "Golfs".

Yes Awesome One your right because he's only had one season in the nhl but HE WON THE CUP WITH THE HAWKS AND PLAYED GREAT...... THATS A REASON WHY THEY WON. Goaltending is a key part in your teams success.
Go to Top of Page

hockeyrocks101
Top Prospect

Canada
43 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2010 :  14:26:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

[quote][i]

How is Niemi doing now??? San Jose is a really good team and I think the Sharks as well as many of their fans are quickly realizing how good Nabokov was for that team.

Niemi was the Osgood for the Hawks last year. Just about any above average goalie could have won the Cup with that team. He did his job, but I don recall him 'stealing' a single game for them last season.

They are fine with Turco. Obviously, the Hawks would have liked to keep him as he is a youngish goalie who did prove he could win which is a rare commodity. However, not at the salary he was awarded in arbitration.

That's true.
Go to Top of Page

hockeyrocks101
Top Prospect

Canada
43 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2010 :  18:51:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry for puting " traded" in my question. Poor mistake.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page