Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... User Polls
 Canadian Rally? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2337 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2011 :  23:25:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
At the half-way mark which Canadian NHL hockey team, currently out of a playoff spot, has the best potential to make the post season?

Choices:

Ottawa Senators
Edmonton Oilers
Toronto Maple Leafs
Calgary Flames

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2011 :  06:37:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, hadn't thought of the situation for Canadian teams at all this year yet, but . . . it could be an all-time low number for who makes the playoffs. One cannot forget that at this time, even after their hot start, the Montreal Canadiens are in 8th only (hmm, who was it who predicted they would slip down the standings dramatically?).

At first glance, I would say none of the teams . . . let's look at the Eastern Conference first.
Toronto: 32 pts, 13th, 13 points out of a playoff spot, 37 gp.
Ottawa: 37 pts, 10th, 9 points out of a playoff spot, 40 gp.

Ottawa has played 3 more games than the Leafs and is 5 points ahead of them, ut neither team looks like a playoff team at this point. Ottawa might even be heading for a kind of freefall, as Spezza is out, and they looked lost against the Leafs last game.

My personal prediction is that the Leafs pass Ottawa, but end up in 9th or 10th . . . yes, the East is that weak at the bottom.

The Western Conference:
Edmonton: 31 pts, 15th, 14 points out, 37 gp.
Calgary: 39 pts, 14th, 6 pts out of a playoff spot, 39 gp.

Well, the only guaranteed team NOT to make the playoffs from all 4 is Edmonton - even though they have been comparable to the Leafs, the West is so much better overall, and it would be an absolute miracle for the Oil to think they could make the playoffs at this point . . . unless Hall starts playing like Gretzky, it ain't happening.

On the other hand, as low as the Flames are, they are still very much in it - the West is that tight. Every team ranked #5-14 is just a 3 game winning streak or losing streak away from being in or out of the playoffs basically . . . and Calgary could certainly get hot down the stretch at some point. They have experience veterans in Iginla and Kipper who have done it before, after all . . .

So, my vote goes to Calgary. My personal percentages below, for the likelihood that each Canadian team currently out of a playoff spot actually makes the playoffs:

Calgary Flames: 27%
Toronto Maple Leafs: 9%
Ottawa Senators: 8%
Edmonton Oilers: 0.01%

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Guest0015
( )

Posted - 01/03/2011 :  06:47:18  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by admin

At the half-way mark which Canadian NHL hockey team, currently out of a playoff spot, has the best potential to make the post season?

Calgary for West
Ottawa for East
By the way - on the Slozo's gloating for Habs prediction of dramatic fall.... they are only a couple of points from dramatically vaulting up to first in their division...?
I'd say although you may be "eventually" correct in your prediction... you may be a tad premature with your gloating
Go to Top of Page

Guest4050
( )

Posted - 01/03/2011 :  08:27:03  Reply with Quote
None of those teams will make it. Don't get to happy on the habs either as Carolina & Buffalo will surely make a second half push if Cam Ward & Miller stay healthy

The oilers are the only team i'd like to see make it out of that group but unfortunately are to far back and the Whitney injury will hurt them more then most people outside of the edmonton area realize. The Flames are notorious chokers and will surely find a way to cost themselves a 7th or 8th seed. Especially since they have yet to beat Minnesota all yr who will battle them for one of those final spots.

The leafs and sens can simply be put as HOPELESS. Ottawa goes through stretches where they look like a top 5 team and then just fall off a cliff and the leafs simply do not have enough offensive depth to pull of 7 & 8 game winnning stretches which they will need at some point to make themselves a serious threat for the 8th seed.
Go to Top of Page

Mario 66
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
360 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2011 :  08:28:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry guest 4050 is me.

Lemieux owns Gretzky
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2011 :  10:04:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good poll, but I'd like to be able to choose none of the above as well. I think OTT probably has the best chance only because they are the closest to a playoff spot point-wise, but at this point I don't really think any of them have a real shot at making it.

In the east, OTT is in 10th place, but has played 4 more games than a lot of others around them, and the top 11 in the east look pretty strong - can OTT really make top-8 at this point?

In the west, again the top 11 are very strong (the top 8, plus NSH, CBJ, and CHI of all teams). I don't think CGY is strong enough to make the top 8, given that there are 3 other teams stronger than them that are also not currently in the top 8.

Needless to say, I think TOR and EDM have nearly zero chance of making it.

Edited by - nuxfan on 01/03/2011 10:05:29
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2011 :  10:11:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guest 0015 - It's not gloating going by any definition of the term, just mentioned it as a tongue-in-cheek comment, something that clearly offended you I guess.

Oh well!

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Guest9171
( )

Posted - 01/10/2011 :  17:49:30  Reply with Quote
slozo has hit it dead on in this poll. The west is so tight that even the worst teams have a chance if they go on a tear even for 3 games. (except the oilers because their just brutal.) Calgary however has a chance if all the pieces fall in the right places. (meaning that Iginla plays like the real leader he can be and kipper stands on his head for a few games. ) In my opinion I personally wish that Calgary would finish last this season and finally draft a fantastic prospect like Hopkins or couture. Because even if they do squeak in to the off season they won't be getting past the first round.

Calgary = best chance

"Science has proven that the bird is in fact equal or opposite to the word"
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2011 :  19:43:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Only way the leafs make it is if they practically win almost every game.

Forget about Montreal, the leafs are 15 points behind Atlanta, with 5 games in hand. I know its asking a lot but if they go on a tear they can possibly be 5 - 7 points behind Atlanta for a playoff spot with approx. a 30 plus game season left.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page